Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

The Elder Scrolls Online: Zeni Max Releases New Trailer for E3

Comments

• ColdrenColdren Member UncommonPosts: 495
    Originally posted by heartless

There's a lot more to a TES game than good graphics and full loot and killing. Besides, as someone who got into MMOs with UO, the full loot and limitless killing doesn't really bother me. Besides, it's not really limitless anyway.

The combat I do have an issue with. To me, FPS combat is one of the defining features of TES games. Besides, there are plenty of MMOs out there that utilize FPS or action oriented combat and no one is having issues. Planetside, for example, was released in 2003 and somehow Sony managed to avoid the high ping issues during the time when a large portion of users were still using dial-up. Yet in 2012 it's a problem?

Anyway, it's good that you don't seem to have a problem with TESO because judging by the reception is has been getting on various gaming sites, Zenimax will need all of the sales it can get. I hope that Bethesda continues making single player TES games.

I know there is more to a TES game than good graphics and full loot and killing. My statement was quite clear that, based on what we have actually been told in interviews and articles (Primarily Game Informer), those are the 4 biggest elements of a TES Game and ESO that seem to differ.. That we have seen or been told.

I also come from the UO age.. Still play it now, as a matter of fact. I have also played all the TES' from Morrowind up.

As for the combat, that's your preference. I do hope you find one of those many MMO's you'll enjoy.

And as for the final, slightly snide comment, well.. Everyone is already forecasting doom and gloom, and nothing has been SEEN. We haven't seen the combat (Described to some degree, as having hotbars, slots, stamina bar), we haven't seen the quest system (just made vague comparisons to GW2), we haven't seen the PvP, we haven't seen much of ANYTHING. Just interviews and articles and a few screenshots.

What I DO know  is I like the work Matt Firor was accredited for in DAoC. I know I like that Paul Sage worked on UO. I know I like that they consort with the TES lore masters to help maintain some consistancy. I do know they will have 3 faction PvP, which I liked and was I believe implemented rather successfully in DAoC. I do know I like the idea of  the systems they have revealed and described in any detail, including enemy AI. I do know I like they aren't creating a game that targets the larger FPS, DF, and MO communities.

The only thing a lot of the haters seem to KNOW  ultimately coalesces down to, "It's NOT Skyrim Online, and therefore, will instantly suck.", and completely disregard what it WILL offer.

But what have I, or anyone else, SEEN yet? A CGI, a flyover and a few images. Not much.

Boy, if people claiming the doom and gloom are so good at forecasting with only the slightest understanding of what is being done, without ever actually seeing it in action are this good, they should all be stock brokers or play the lottery more.

I do my best not to give in to hype, and I also do my best to not be so daft as to make such grandiose judgment calls without actually witnessing what they have made. I hear the pitch...I look at the tech specs... Then I see it in action.. Then I decide. I might agree with the haters in time. But rigth now? I like what I hear.

The predictive capabilities of the larger MMO community hasn't had the greatest track record. Keep the prophesizing to Miss Cleo.

• RaapnaapRaapnaap Member UncommonPosts: 455

Terrible trailer for a terrible game. I've got not one good word for this title.

• SenanSenan Member UncommonPosts: 788
    Originally posted by chefdiablo
    Originally posted by alacres
    Originally posted by Wolvards
    Originally posted by alacres
    Originally posted by odinsrath

i c most people with 0-3 stars commenting that the trailers are fail sauce and the game is fail from get go because of it..

those are the same people that are too lazy to read or do any research on the game ...i know its hard for some to even watch someone speak about the game ...but watch this link..its much better and a bit more detailed..other than OMGONOZE NUT ANOTUH CGI TRAILR fail

http://www.gametrailers.com/video/e3-2012-the-elder/731254

The gameplay footage is even worse than the CGI trailer. Have you seen the character models? It's like WoW and SWTOR had a baby and it inherited the worst traits from both parents.

And what do stars have to do with anything anyway?

ok? so your saying that the game is fail even tho no1 has yet to lay hands on it nor play any beta

the stars comment has to do with mostly..but not all people loging on just to bash / troll every game that has yet to release

imo char models look like WOW ..so what..landscape looks good enuff 4 me to look / feel like TES...if this game is released and plays like vinilla wow id be happy...and with 3 faction pvp would make it even better..less questing rails is a +

and for the people complaining about grafix make me lol@them ...cuz we all know grafix over game play is what everyone wants ..right? lol

im sry to all the fan boies this isnt yur every year release of TES you play on xbox or PC ...but they will still keep makeing those so stop crying..

I'm saying that the game is fail because it's has absolutely nothing that makes TES games what they are.

And for crying out loud, try to type in something that at least resembles English. You're not texting. The content of your posts doesn't justify the effort needed to interpret them.

Amen. That was seriously painful to read. I think my brain may have atrophied a little.

Sadly though, he's a prime example of the lowest common denominator that most mmo developers seem to try and appease (as it doesn't really take much effort to do so), and Zenimax is obviously no exception.

The announcement of this game, and the subsequent details presented with it, was a sad event in gaming history for me.

That's a pretty rude thing to say, calling someone a lowest common denominator. The haters are out in force on this game, who blew the signal horn? I'm not sure if you're familiar with this coming reference, but three horns should be for trolls, not white walkers!

No it's not rude, it's a general assertion. I think it's a safe bet that the majority of people who will find this game appealing will be those that like a more traditional themepark experience. From what I've read about the game so far, it looks as though they are sticking to many of the more typical mmo conventions, and they're obviously doing it because they feel there's a bigger demographic of gamers that want that copy/pasted experience. I don't agree with that sentiment personally, but then my word doesn't mean s**t to these mainstream developers.

As for the "haters are out in force" comment, judging by the comments in this thread, that argument can easily be put on the other foot as well. And for the record, I'm not a hater, I'm just genuinely disappointed with the direction they decided to take a game that (in my eyes) could have been the epitome of mmo gaming if it had been kept as close to the single player games as possible.

(Friendly word of advice - You should really abandon that, "if you don't agree with me, you're a hater" mindset.)

Well, about 5 years ago (when this game seems to have started development) sticking to many of the more typical mmo conventions was the right thing to do. I would wager that 5 years ago most people were telling developers to copy what WOW had done because that was where the bar was.

When I spoke to people about MMOs 5 years ago everyone said WOW was the best.

I understand the discouragement that people feel. I just think they should step backwards and ask themselves honestly, did you think 5 years ago that WOW was best game? Clearly the guys making games did.

Well, that's a good point, and one I can't disagree with. I'd be a bit more forgiving if they'd actually admit to that being one of the main factors contributing to them sticking with the traditonal mmo conventions, instead of using the "tech isn't advanced enough for real-time combat on an mmo scale" excuse, which is clearly untrue given the examples to the contrary that already exist.

So far, that's my biggest gripe. I'm really tired of the whack-a-mole, button mashing combat that is so prevalent in this genre, and unless they do something considerably innovative with it, I don't imagine it being all that interesting/compelling. I guess we'll have to wait and see how it plays out.

• GajariGajari Member Posts: 984

For a teaser trailer, it's not terrible... but doesn't everyone remember Skyrim's teaser ? That thing brought a tear to my eye. lol

"In their tongue, he is Dovahkiin... Dragonborn!" And the epic music. Ahhh...

This didn't stir up any emotions whatsoever. In no way excited. :(

• maplestonemaplestone Member UncommonPosts: 3,099

Oh look, another game about a group of players divided into N adversarial factions.

• DistopiaDistopia Member EpicPosts: 21,183

If you honestly believe that most of TES features do not work in MMOs you're obviously not really familiar with this genre.

Where did most, if not all of these games end up? Take SWG as an example, what was the biggest problem with that game? Was it not they were perpetually stuck in a game of cat and mouse with the constant issues that kept popping up with every update? Was it not the fact there was never any real forward movement for development until after they simplified the game? What would be the route cause of such issues? As even those who built the game couldn't maintain it in a smooth efficient manner.

In a game and working for a game are two different things. SWG was a great game, but it never felt like a game put out by a AAA studio. All because of what made it great... complexity. This is the same pitfall that TES fans put up with for their desired experience, bugs, bugs and more bugs. WE accept it, ignore it and move past it, that works for a product made for it's fans; Such as Skyrim; the masses in the MMO market are a different story entirely. They expect Blizzard levels of polish. We've seen that over and over again for years in this genre.

I have no idea whether TESO will be a worthy MMO or not, so I am in no way arguing on behalf of it, I'm just questioning the argument these things work in making a successful MMO that improves and expands over time for the masses. This isn't the same genre people knew in the late 90's and early 00's.

For every minute you are angry , you lose 60 seconds of happiness."-Emerson

• chefdiablochefdiablo Member Posts: 202
    Originally posted by Distopia

If you honestly believe that most of TES features do not work in MMOs you're obviously not really familiar with this genre.

Where did most, if not all of these games end up? Take SWG as an example, what was the biggest problem with that game? Was it not they were perpetually stuck in a game of cat and mouse with the constant issues that kept popping up with every update? Was it not the fact there was never any real forward movement for development until after they simplified the game? What would be the route cause of such issues? As even those who built the game couldn't maintain it in a smooth efficient manner.

In a game and working for a game are two different things. SWG was a great game, but it never felt like a game put out by a AAA studio. All because of what made it great... complexity. This is the same pitfall that TES fans put up with for their desired experience, bugs, bugs and more bugs. WE accept it, ignore it and move past it, that works for a product made for it's fans; Such as Skyrim; the masses in the MMO market are a different story entirely. They expect Blizzard levels of polish. We've seen that over and over again for years in this genre.

I have no idea whether TESO will be a worthy MMO or not, so I am in no way arguing on behalf of it, I'm just questioning the argument these things work in making a successful MMO that improves and expands over time for the masses. This isn't the same genre people knew in the late 90's and early 00's.

This is a very valid point. Skyrim has so many bugs and people generally accept them for the most part. MMO fans are far more aggressive regarding those details. A couple of login issues or disconnections will cause internet versions of a riot, something even Blizzard is not immune to. Just ask a D3 player. You would think the world ended because of error 37.

• heartlessheartless Member UncommonPosts: 4,993
    Originally posted by Distopia

It's true that TES games tend to be buggy at release but using the standard MMO formula does not guarantee a less buggy game. People expect a finished game, you're absolutely correct but I'm not sure if anyone really wants another typical MMO at this point.

I'm not dismissing the game outright. I'll keep on eye on it but based on everything I've heard and seen so far, it does not appeal to the TES fan in me. Sure, the lore is there but everything else is not.

• AutemOxAutemOx Member Posts: 1,704

This trailer is EMBARRASSING!!

Play as your fav retro characters: cnd-online.net. My site: www.lysle.net. Blog: creatingaworld.blogspot.com.

• JyiigaJyiiga Member UncommonPosts: 1,187

I'm sorry but... I have my plate full with games that are not more of the same.

When I think Elder Scrolls... I think epic scale, first person combat, no classes and graphics that define an era.

Going to be really hard to swallow this pill.

• kokopuffkokopuff Member Posts: 94
    Trailer was bad as it should be, better to spend $$ on the actual game instead of wasting it on cg.
  • HeroEvermoreHeroEvermore Member Posts: 672

this game is going to be amazing. haters hate all you want. Im excited!

Hero Evermore
    Guild Master of Dragonspine since 1982.
    Playing Path of Exile and deeply in love with it.

• marganculosmarganculos Member UncommonPosts: 334

does it have TAB targeting?

• PyrateLVPyrateLV Member CommonPosts: 1,096
    Originally posted by marganculos

does it have TAB targeting?

Yes, TAB targeting, Levels, Classes, fixed Faction depending on Racial choice, only 3rd person view.

All the great things you know and love from your favorite MMOs

Tried: EQ2 - AC - EU - HZ - TR - MxO - TTO - WURM - SL - VG:SoH - PotBS - PS - AoC - WAR - DDO - SWTOR
    Played: UO - EQ1 - AO - DAoC - NC - CoH/CoV - SWG - WoW - EVE - AA - LotRO - DFO - STO - FE - MO - RIFT
    Playing: Skyrim
    Following: The Repopulation
    I want a Virtual World, not just a Game.
    ITS TOO HARD! - Matt Firor (ZeniMax)

• KenFisherKenFisher Member UncommonPosts: 5,035

More of a teaser than a trailer.

Ken Fisher - Semi retired old fart Network Administrator, now working in Network Security.  I don't Forum PVP.  If you feel I've attacked you, it was probably by accident.  When I don't understand, I ask.  Such is not intended as criticism.
  • BloodyVikingBloodyViking Member UncommonPosts: 132

That was by far the worst and weakest trailer I have ever seen for a game. This only enhances my feelings of watching the train moving down the track full speed towards a horrific trainwreck. This crap is what we get for letting marketing people run game companies. Once upon a time it was gamers who made games for gamers, for you know....fun. Money and success was the reward for making a fun game. Nowadays its marketingpeople designing games because they must look like the last great success so that they make a lot of money. What I characterize as ass-backwards gamedesign. And TESO looks to be one of those. Not buying this game.

• KroxMalonKroxMalon Member UncommonPosts: 608

And typically the viewers are unhappy..

Maybe the game companys do it now to agrivate your sciatica :)

• RequiamerRequiamer Member Posts: 2,034

Honestly this was terrible, especially after Skyrim trailer, you guys should be ready for a very hard landing with this title. My advise, just cancel the crap out of this before its too late.

• Kaisen_DexxKaisen_Dexx Member UncommonPosts: 326

The greatest problem facing this game is the use of the Elder Scrolls IP. The features in the game would be pretty good for a standard mmo (public dungeons, 3 faction RvR, etc.). The issue arises when compared to the traditional theme of the Elder Scrolls games (at least since Morrowind. I've not played the earlier games), which is freedom. As evident by the initial scenes in Morrowind, Oblivion, and Skyrim, where you are initially a prisoner, then next you are free to choose who and what you want to be, and finally you escape and now you're free to do whatever you want to do.

ESO appears to remove many of these core themes of freedom (preset classes, defined racial adversity, etc.), and I think that clashes quite severly with the players' perspective of The Elder Scrolls. Its such a strong clash that it might actually cause the game to crash and burn. Which is kind of disheartening, because, like others have said, years ago those features would have been a godsend.

Unfortunately, these trailers do nothing to mitigate those issues to the fanbase. Instead of focusing on where the game meets traditional themes of the series, and how the new mechanics improve upon the experience, they threw out an exceptionally vague CGI trailer. Merely watching it, I would have had absolutely no clue this was Elder Scrolls game (the high elfs ears...), except for the logo.

• jiveturkey12jiveturkey12 Member CommonPosts: 1,262
    Originally posted by Kaisen_Dexx

The greatest problem facing this game is the use of the Elder Scrolls IP. The features in the game would be pretty good for a standard mmo (public dungeons, 3 faction RvR, etc.). The issue arises when compared to the traditional theme of the Elder Scrolls games (at least since Morrowind. I've not played the earlier games), which is freedom. As evident by the initial scenes in Morrowind, Oblivion, and Skyrim, where you are initially a prisoner, then next you are free to choose who and what you want to be, and finally you escape and now you're free to do whatever you want to do.

ESO appears to remove many of these core themes of freedom (preset classes, defined racial adversity, etc.), and I think that clashes quite severly with the players' perspective of The Elder Scrolls. Its such a strong clash that it might actually cause the game to crash and burn. Which is kind of disheartening, because, like others have said, years ago those features would have been a godsend.

Unfortunately, these trailers do nothing to mitigate those issues to the fanbase. Instead of focusing on where the game meets traditional themes of the series, and how the new mechanics improve upon the experience, they threw out an exceptionally vague CGI trailer. Merely watching it, I would have had absolutely no clue this was Elder Scrolls game (the high elfs ears...), except for the logo.

Thanks for actualy making an informed, non-biased post my friend. I tried to take up a similar view point on ESO whe info first came out about it. Hell I even said before ANY info had bee released that I would play the game no matter what, even if it was TOR with Orcs, but sadly its not even that, its something far less and disturbing and its for exactly thereasons you stated.

Ive never once said three-faction PVP doesnt sound awesome in a game, or public dungeons, but it doesnt belong in an ES game because its nothing like the core of the series as youve stated. If this game had just been "Fantasy Adventures online" I would have been more excited, but they raised their own bar way too high from the start and gave the fans nothing to reach for. Hell even if the game just had player housing or a very "Loose" class system that was easily manipulated and open I would have been 100% on board for ESO, but they are just giving nothing to the long time fans and the game will sink for it.

• Mors.MagneMors.Magne Member UncommonPosts: 1,549

Gameplay is everything.

• tank-n-spanktank-n-spank Member UncommonPosts: 23

I really like CG trailers but this was just underwhelming.  Good graphics, 0 action.

.adslot-overlay {position: absolute; font-family: arial, sans-serif; background-color: rgba(0,0,0,0.65); border: 2px solid rgba(0,0,0,0.65); color: white !important; margin: 0; z-index: 2147483647; text-decoration: none; box-sizing: border-box; text-align: left;}.adslot-overlay-iframed {top: 0; left: 0; right: 0; bottom: 0;}.slotname {position: absolute; top: 0; left: 0; right: 0; font-size: 13px; font-weight: bold; padding: 3px 0 3px 6px; vertical-align: middle; background-color: rgba(0,0,0,0.45); text-overflow: ellipsis; white-space: nowrap; overflow: hidden;}.slotname span {text-align: left; text-decoration: none; text-transform: capitalize;}.revenue {position: absolute; bottom: 0; left: 0; right: 0; font-size: 11px; padding: 3px 0 3px 6px; vertial-align: middle; text-align: left; background-color: rgba(0,0,0,0.45); font-weight: bold; text-overflow: ellipsis; overflow: hidden; white-space: nowrap;}.revenue .name {color: #ccc;}.revenue .horizontal .metric {display: inline-block; padding-right: 1.5em;}.revenue .horizontal .name {padding-right: 0.5em;}.revenue .vertical .metric {display: block; line-height: 1.5em; margin-bottom: 0.5em;}.revenue .vertical .name, .revenue .vertical .value {display: block;}.revenue .square .metric, .revenue .button .metric {display: table-row;}.revenue .square .metric {line-height: 1.5em;}.revenue .square .name, .revenue .square .value, .revenue .button .value {display: table-cell;}.revenue .square .name {padding-right: 1.5em;}.revenue .button .name {display: block; margin-right: 0.5em; width: 1em; overflow: hidden; text-overflow: clip;}.revenue .button .name:first-letter {margin-right: 1.5em;}a.adslot-overlay:hover {border: 2px solid rgba(58,106,173,0.9);}a.adslot-overlay:hover .slotname {border-bottom: 1px solid rgba(81,132,210,0.9); background-color: rgba(58,106,173,0.9);}a.adslot-overlay:hover .revenue {border-top: 1px solid rgba(81,132,210,0.9); background-color: rgba(58,106,173,0.9);}div.adslot-overlay:hover {cursor: not-allowed; border: 2px solid rgba(64,64,64,0.9);}div.adslot-overlay:hover .slotname {border-bottom: 1px solid rgba(128,128,128,0.9); background-color: rgba(64,64,64,0.9);}div.adslot-overlay:hover .revenue {border-top: 1px solid rgba(128,128,128,0.9); background-color: rgba(64,64,64,0.9);}
  • ComafComaf Member UncommonPosts: 1,150
    Originally posted by Suzie_Ford

Zeni Max Studios has released a brand new trailer from The Elder Scrolls Online that is currently in development. The trailer was released during this week's E3 convention in Los Angeles, California.

Well, I suppose that was their first offering of showing us three uniquely different factions.  Might I have more, ladies and sirs?  

• gilgamesh42gilgamesh42 Member Posts: 300

i c most people with 0-3 stars commenting that the trailers are fail sauce and the game is fail from get go because of it..

those are the same people that are too lazy to read or do any research on the game ...i know its hard for some to even watch someone speak about the game ...but watch this link..its much better and a bit more detailed..other than OMGONOZE NUT ANOTUH CGI TRAILR fail

http://www.gametrailers.com/video/e3-2012-the-elder/731254

The gameplay footage is even worse than the CGI trailer. Have you seen the character models? It's like WoW and SWTOR had a baby and it inherited the worst traits from both parents.

And what do stars have to do with anything anyway?

SWTOR had good traits ! o.0 You it wasn't some sad excuse for a single player game run by dummys who look down on people then expect those same people top throw money at them?

• 3-4thElf3-4thElf Member Posts: 489
    Originally posted by Gajari

For a teaser trailer, it's not terrible... but doesn't everyone remember Skyrim's teaser ? That thing brought a tear to my eye. lol

"In their tongue, he is Dovahkiin... Dragonborn!" And the epic music. Ahhh...

This didn't stir up any emotions whatsoever. In no way excited. :(

I don't think this dev team ever played an Elder Scroll game from the mechanics listed and the look of it.

Really disappointing.

a yo ho ho