Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

ESO news

2»

Comments

• IkedaIkeda Member RarePosts: 2,751
    Originally posted by Slampig
    Originally posted by BigCountry

so 200 players per zone basically. i can live with that I guess. you can always enhance/build in that later on if you have enough brain power in your dev team

How do you get 200 per zone from 200 on screen? There could be 1000 standing behind you but you are only seeing 200.

You never know. Until you do.

This is how rumors start.  LISTEN to the damned commentary before you speak.  They never ONCE said ON SCREEN.  They said IN GAME.

Jesus, this is frustrating because you people are injecting your own opinions.  Let them come back and say what they ment.  If they misspoke let them come out and twitter about it (isn't that what those techy hipsters do to be cool after all).  As of right now, they said 200 IN GAME.  That's IN...... GAME.  Which is what ToR allows with an instance.  200 people.

• DeniZgDeniZg Member UncommonPosts: 697

Art style looks a lot like updated WoW, which is not bad in my book.

Some gameplay features like WvW and "questgivers coming to you" sound a lot like GW2. Again, not bad.

However, the scenery looks very static, very much like SWTOR, probably due to sharing the same engine.

In the end, even if they manage to successfully implement all the usual MMO  features, would people pay monthly sub based on TES IP only, when they can play GW2 for free?

• NaughtyPNaughtyP Member UncommonPosts: 793

I never thought I'd be less excited for a game that I thought I would be excited about. It's like your parents promising you that you will get to see an elephant the following day, only to find out they meant you are going to the library to take out Babar books.

Enter a whole new realm of challenge and adventure.

• AdamTMAdamTM Member Posts: 1,376
    Originally posted by Istavaan

very low res textures on the khajiit fur.

lower than skyrim?

shitballs thats almost 1999 textures then...

• DarkPonyDarkPony Member Posts: 5,566
    Originally posted by Ikeda

No, the DIRECT quote was 200 people ONLINE at one time.  Period.  Let them come back and say they made a mistake.  

In the context it was pretty obvious he was talking about the artwork and graphics and that it needs to be optimized somewhat to allow for many (200) players fighting battles.

And who knows? Despite all the shocking "mmorpgified elderscrolls" compromises this game might yet turn out to be good:

- three factions

- non-linear experience

- large seamless world

- open world dungeons

- the possibility of large scale world pvp

Hmm ...

If they announce pvp servers (maybe they already have, not sure) and get the mechanics right (no artificial no-go areas, no one-shotting town guards, incentives to kill enemies in the world, etc.) it might yet become my cup of tea. Maybe not the sandbox I am looking for but it could be a compelling, fun game nonetheless.

Methinks we shouldn't condemn it yet but have a little patience for more info and hands-on reports.

• FadedbombFadedbomb Member Posts: 2,081
    Originally posted by xmenty

The game looks not bad graphically and

the gameplay sound more toward GW2.

I hope its a B2P lol.

In-game footage is at 2:36:00

Thanks for showing me that video xmenty.

That artstyle is SWTOR meets RIFT meets Everquest. Not interested, AT ALL :|.

It just seems like their budget for armor/character models was like 0.5% of their total budget. I can't even immerse myself in an artstyle like that.

Now, that's not saying that "graphics" is everything, but similarly I CAN immerse myself in a game like Minecraft because it "fits" its poor graphics & artstyle.

ESO? Not a damn chance should it EVER look like RIFT, sorry :/.

The Theory of Conservative Conservation of Ignorant Stupidity:
    Having a different opinion must mean you're a troll.

• FadedbombFadedbomb Member Posts: 2,081
    Originally posted by DarkPony

No, the DIRECT quote was 200 people ONLINE at one time.  Period.  Let them come back and say they made a mistake.  

In the context it was pretty obvious he was talking about the artwork and graphics and that it needs to be optimized somewhat to allow for many (200) players fighting battles.

And who knows? Despite all the shocking "mmorpgified elderscrolls" compromises this game might yet turn out to be good:

- three factions

- non-linear experience

- large seamless world

- open world dungeons

Hmm ...

If they announce pvp servers (maybe they already have, not sure) and get the mechanics right (no artificial no-go areas, no one-shotting town guards, incentives to kill enemies in the world, etc.) it might yet become my cup of tea. Maybe not the sandbox I am looking for but it could be a compelling, fun game nonetheless.

Methinks we shouldn't condemn it yet but have a little patience for more info and hands-on reports.

People said the same thing about SWTOR, and look how that turned out. Additionally, we don't have any REAL information on how "Seamless" the world is, how factions are actually setup to interact, and how really "Open" dungeons are.

I've seen all of this wordplay before, and it turned out to be an abuse of the English language. 

The Theory of Conservative Conservation of Ignorant Stupidity:
    Having a different opinion must mean you're a troll.

• KuppaKuppa Member UncommonPosts: 3,292

The more I hear from this game the more I think its going to be like GW1. Very instanced and single player like. Given that, I have to say I LOVED GW1. But it was mainly for its pvp, we'll see how things go with TESO.

• ShakyMoShakyMo Member CommonPosts: 7,207

the 200 is a figure they used for the RVR province of cyrodil

e.g.  "you can have battles with over 200 players"

Its not some sort of hard cap or anything.

• KuppaKuppa Member UncommonPosts: 3,292
    Originally posted by Gorwe
    (about Pony's optimism)

Bioware fooled you once with TOR. I remember even now how you and Elikal used to make it look, you know, good. Don't fall for that again. "Fool me once, shame on me. Fool me twice, shame on us" eh(Warhammer wisdom lol)?

(concerning TES:O)

Well that dev certainly knew his TES lore. Too bad he didn't actually name Redguard Isles(Yokudan Isles). I also Like approach to gameplay and lore: if it wasn't right to lore, gtfo was what he said basically(if only Mythic followed this common Sense bit). Game looks OK I guess. But I'll keep a good amount of Warhammer stance towards TES:O(as I do towards almost every MMO, with exception of GW 2 and potentially NC titles). After all, what's wrong with doubt?

Lol unfortunately I remember that also. And I never knew what happened to another poster MMO.Maverick. He was the most abbid and informative TOR poster around here. A month into TOR he dissapeared....

• ElikalElikal Member UncommonPosts: 7,912

As usual the questions were too harmless. I dunno, are all game moderators paid or drugged? Ever so often when I seen a video interview with some game dev, I felt I wanted to jump out of my seat and wished *I* was there asking questions! They never ask hard and important questions! (And this mod clearly needs a haircut...)

Anywhoo... on the one hand everything this Zenimax dude says here and in other interviews is horrible PR bla bla. For a game that is 5 years in development, his info is really close to zero. So they want to make the game accessible. Yes. What the moderator SHOULD have asked: What EXACTLY does that mean, as opposed to other MMOs? What will you make different? Those zombie/sheep moderators drive me nuts. I mean, heck, we all know some hallmarks of what makes a MMO. Would it be so difficult to ask some substantial questions, and NOT let the Zenimax Dev wiggle itself out by hogwash no-info answers?!

On the other hand, the visuals in the vid don't look as bad as some early leaked screenshots. I mean, ok it's not Skyrim quality, but then, no one could expect that. What made me cringe is that some stuff looks too much like from SWTOR, especially some landscape elements. (Oh seriously if you think it looks like WOW you need glasses. No NOT those to drink from. Those for the eyes!) The dungeons looked quite good IMO, actually.

Skeptical, but sure to give it a fair chance when I can try it out.

People don't ask questions to get answers - they ask questions to show how smart they are. - Dogbert

(about Pony's optimism)

Bioware fooled you once with TOR. I remember even now how you and Elikal used to make it look, you know, good. Don't fall for that again. "Fool me once, shame on me. Fool me twice, shame on us" eh(Warhammer wisdom lol)?

Well that dev certainly knew his TES lore. Too bad he didn't actually name Redguard Isles(Yokudan Isles). I also Like approach to gameplay and lore: if it wasn't right to lore, gtfo was what he said basically(if only Mythic followed this common Sense bit). Game looks OK I guess. But I'll keep a good amount of Warhammer stance towards TES:O(as I do towards almost every MMO, with exception of GW 2 and potentially NC titles). After all, what's wrong with doubt?

Oh come on, it is not optimism, it is realism. What do we know so far? Way too little to come to any realistic judgement. If it's bad I will say it when I have enough info. But doomsaying now is sorta absurd. Even SWTOR could have been good, if they had taken care about many of the "small things". And we know close to zilch about that from TESO.

People don't ask questions to get answers - they ask questions to show how smart they are. - Dogbert

• DarkPonyDarkPony Member Posts: 5,566
    Originally posted by Elikal
    (about Pony's optimism)

Oh come on, it is not optimism, it is realism. What do we know so far? Way too little to come to any realistic judgement. If it's bad I will say it when I have enough info. But doomsaying now is sorta absurd. Even SWTOR could have been good, if they had taken care about many of the "small things". And we know close to zilch about that from TESO.

Yup, Gorwe. I sign Elikals answer.

(Some things needed to make Swtor good are pretty big things imo though).

Originally posted by Elikal
    (about Pony's optimism)

Yup, Gorwe. I sign Elikals answer.

(Some things needed to make Swtor good are pretty big things imo though).

Ok, point taken, some big things too. But a lot of small things would have done wonders. *cough* Ambient sounds. *cough*

• SEANMCADSEANMCAD Member EpicPosts: 16,775

every time I read 'open dungeon' as part of a feature list I think I am reading something wrong. For me that is kind of a given and to be honest even if its not in the game I dont even care that much. That said, 'open dungeon' from a programming standpoint just means 'leave it alone as  it is'

Please do not respond to me, even if I ask you a question, its rhetorical.

Please do not respond to me

• DistopiaDistopia Member EpicPosts: 21,183
    Originally posted by Fadedbomb

- three factions

- non-linear experience

- large seamless world

- open world dungeons

Hmm ...

People said the same thing about SWTOR, and look how that turned out. Additionally, we don't have any REAL information on how "Seamless" the world is, how factions are actually setup to interact, and how really "Open" dungeons are.

I've seen all of this wordplay before, and it turned out to be an abuse of the English language. 

SWTOR didn't have a reason to keep playing outside of a gear treadmill, we do not know if that is the case or not with TESO. Three faction PVP well executed gives me a reason to play if it turns out to be the case for TESO.

We can look back at many a game in this genre and say well "they said it would be better" it doesn't mean every game will turn out bad. I really don't care for the prediction games many play around here, all I care about is the actual end result. If it's bad so be it, if it's good then great, a new game to play.

For every minute you are angry , you lose 60 seconds of happiness."-Emerson

• InFlamestwoInFlamestwo Member Posts: 662

200 PLAYERS IN PVP. Open your ears, they never said 200 players online.

• LucioonLucioon Member UncommonPosts: 819

so 200 players per zone basically. i can live with that I guess. you can always enhance/build in that later on if you have enough brain power in your dev team

Thats what everyone said when SWTOR was being developed, guess what happened.

I just hope you are right.

Life is a Maze, so make sure you bring your GPS incase you get lost in it.

• SEANMCADSEANMCAD Member EpicPosts: 16,775
    Originally posted by Lucioon

Thats what everyone said when SWTOR was being developed, guess what happened.

I just hope you are right.

I honestly dont think they have to worry about it. I dont think they are going to have a large enough player base to have a case where more than 200 players want to be in a zone very often.

Please do not respond to me, even if I ask you a question, its rhetorical.

Please do not respond to me

• VesaviusVesavius Member RarePosts: 7,908
    (about Pony's optimism)

oh, and MMOMaverick, don't forget him... they all used to savage anyhone who dared called the game out.

I tend to watch what some posters on these boards say and then do the complete opposite tbh.

• ColdrenColdren Member UncommonPosts: 495

This is how rumors start.  LISTEN to the damned commentary before you speak.  They never ONCE said ON SCREEN.  They said IN GAME.

Jesus, this is frustrating because you people are injecting your own opinions.  Let them come back and say what they ment.  If they misspoke let them come out and twitter about it (isn't that what those techy hipsters do to be cool after all).  As of right now, they said 200 IN GAME.  That's IN...... GAME.  Which is what ToR allows with an instance.  200 people.

He clearly mispoke, as it was also stated "On Screen" in another interview prior to this one, I just don't recall which.

But here's a more recent clarification:

http://www.mmorpg.com/gamelist.cfm/setView/videos/gameID/821/videoId/2465

Fast forward to about 8:30.