Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Walking In Stations Shelved Indefinably?

NitthNitth Member UncommonPosts: 3,904

So, I haven't heard any news on when they are restarting development for the walking in stations section in eve, I understand they are currently going back to their roots by fixing the "Internet spaceship" portion of the game, But it seems prior to that they have a very clear (and awesomely cool) Idea for the future of eve.

I really want to see some of those social sections on stations come to fruition but at the same time i can completely understand the player base wanting more of the traditional game play.

what's the story?

TSW - AoC - Aion - WOW - EVE - Fallen Earth - Co - Rift - || XNA C# Java Development

Comments

• YalexyYalexy Member UncommonPosts: 1,058

WIS is wasted efforts as it doesn't offer any gameplay within EvE. WIS is nothing more - even when fully implemented - then a 3d chatroom.

They're better off with further developing the core of the game.

• GhabboGhabbo Member UncommonPosts: 263

My best guess is that WiS won't be fully implemented till WoD is out (or in its final development stages). They won't risk a big chunk of their player base (again) with bugs/performance issues/etc on some feature the majority of players don't care about.

That being said, I am looking forward to see what CPP comes up with image

• UhwopUhwop Member UncommonPosts: 1,791
    Originally posted by Yalexy

WIS is wasted efforts as it doesn't offer any gameplay within EvE. WIS is nothing more - even when fully implemented - then a 3d chatroom.

If this is what you think, then you didn't pay attention to what they intend for WiS.

You're also being rather narrowminded about the entire thing.  CCP wants to continue to grow the game and the brand, WiS is one of the ways they'll do this.  Even if you, or s the guy who posted after you said, the magority of people don't want it, it will bring in a lot of new players who are interested in EVE but aren't drawn entirely to the internet spaceship part.

There's only so much they can do with the core of the game.  Or haven't you noticed that each expansion seems to focus more and more on making changes to the asthetics with fewer actual NEW gameplay elements being introduced. 

I do not understand you people who behaive as if WiS will somehow deminish the FiS part of the game.  God forbid CCP change anything anyways, look at how some people in the community are acting over a the inventory change.  People are literally trying to organize mass unsubs, and trying to compare it to the NeX introduction. 

And people wonder why developers never innovate or truelly evolve their games.

• Mondo80Mondo80 Member UncommonPosts: 194

If all EVE pilots are sitting in a capsule, whats the point of walking around on a space station?  Even in the current station mode your ship is not physically docked to anything, its just floating in a chamber.  They painted themselves into a corner with that.

• Johnie-MarzJohnie-Marz Member UncommonPosts: 865
    Originally posted by Uhwop
    Originally posted by Yalexy

If this is what you think, then you didn't pay attention to what they intend for WiS.

You're also being rather narrowminded about the entire thing.  CCP wants to continue to grow the game and the brand, WiS is one of the ways they'll do this.  Even if you, or s the guy who posted after you said, the magority of people don't want it, it will bring in a lot of new players who are interested in EVE but aren't drawn entirely to the internet spaceship part.

There's only so much they can do with the core of the game.  Or haven't you noticed that each expansion seems to focus more and more on making changes to the asthetics with fewer actual NEW gameplay elements being introduced. 

I do not understand you people who behaive as if WiS will somehow deminish the FiS part of the game.  God forbid CCP change anything anyways, look at how some people in the community are acting over a the inventory change.  People are literally trying to organize mass unsubs, and trying to compare it to the NeX introduction. 

One of the criticisms of EVE is that you play a spaceship. Continuing to develop walking in station would adress that, however the current player base don't seem to want it, if it takes away from the development of the space part of the game.

CCP decided to listen to their current players and back off developing walking in station rather than lose those current players in the short run, rather than to truely continue to develop walking in station in the hopes that walking in station might someday bring new players in.

I probably would have made that choice as well but it is too bad some EVE players can't see that walking in station is a good thing.

• GhabboGhabbo Member UncommonPosts: 263

As I said, I'm really looking forward to WiS which, if done properly, will bring new elements to an already awesome game.

Originally posted by Johnie-Marz

One of the criticisms of EVE is that you play a spaceship. Continuing to develop walking in station would adress that, however the current player base don't seem to want it, if it takes away from the development of the space part of the game.

CCP decided to listen to their current players and back off developing walking in station rather than lose player in the hopes that walking in station might someday bring new players in.

I probably would have made that choice as well but it is too bad some EVE players can't see that walking in station is a good thing.

They're still working on it.  They allways planned to do small implimentations of it, some people in the community blew things out of proportion as they always do.  Inferno had 3 new captains quarters in it.

Most of the issue was over the NEX shop.  People didn't unsub or protest over WiS, it was over the NeX and an internal memo.

• Mondo80Mondo80 Member UncommonPosts: 194

Aside from the lack of content, Star Trek Online is way better than EVE, you don't have those goonswarm dickwads who gank miners for laughs.

Originally posted by Mondo80

If all EVE pilots are sitting in a capsule, whats the point of walking around on a space station?  Even in the current station mode your ship is not physically docked to anything, its just floating in a chamber.  They painted themselves into a corner with that.

Ever look down when you dock while still in your ship.  You never noticed the hole under your ship, which is were your pod drops out.

You're not in a capsule when you exit the ship.  CCP even addressed this very issue. 

Aside from the lack of content, Star Trek Online is way better than EVE, you don't have those goonswarm dickwads who gank miners for laughs.

Good thing STO is an actual bad spaceship game, or all us "dwads" would be ganking you there to.

• CalfisCalfis Member UncommonPosts: 381

People still play STO? I'd give it a couple more years before it dies out completely. When EVE is celebrating its 11th year. 

• korat102korat102 Member Posts: 313

What's always puzzled me is why they went to the trouble of creating a fantastic character designer when your opportunities to show off your creation are so limited.

For me, character creation (and actually being able to see the thing) is half the fun. With that being pointless, for me at least - half the reason for trying the game has gone. 

• KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,498
    Originally posted by korat102

What's always puzzled me is why they went to the trouble of creating a fantastic character designer when your opportunities to show off your creation are so limited.

For me, character creation (and actually being able to see the thing) is half the fun. With that being pointless, for me at least - half the reason for trying the game has gone. 

I think they created the character designer for their next MMO, WOD so I think of EVE as sort of a pilot test of it.

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• KiljaedenasKiljaedenas Member Posts: 468
    Originally posted by korat102

From what I remember they actually intended to fully develop the stations and WiS to the point that players could set up shops, build/trade items, have "live" chats with their characters, etc. which would indeed be a cool addition to the game, but as was mentioned before they decided to scale back a bit and focus on improving the core game mechanics. I wouldn't be surprised if this is still on their radar.

Where's the any key?

• BigHatLoganBigHatLogan Member Posts: 688

All they need to do for station walking is to just build a generic plaza to represent a station and force all docked characters into the main area or one adjacent quarters.  Then, they need to implement the bitch slap animation.  That way my poorly rendered character can waddle over to another and continously bitch slap them until they can take no more and undock.  And then the real fight starts. 

Are you a Pavlovian Fish Biscuit Addict? Get Help Now!
    I will play no more MMORPGs until somethign good comes out!

• SpottyGekkoSpottyGekko Member EpicPosts: 6,916

WiS is on the backburner, but not discontinued afaik. CCP are just placating the playerbase for a while with their renewed focus on FiS development.

At every FanFest, CCP has a few sessions devoted to their core tech, which is being built to support ALL their games. Just like EVE, WoD is supposed to be a single-server world, but a very different "world" than the one that EVE is played in. So it stands to reason that some of the tech needed to run WoD will be integrated into EVE.

It's very likely that WiS was a "proof of concept" for certain WoD systems. The new EVE character builder certainly was. But the playerbase complained that the development of these new capabilities for the EVE engine used development time that "could have been spent on tangible improvements to EVE gameplay", which is a bit shortsighted. The improvement of core systems takes time, and the benefits are not always immediately apparent.

• sycofiendsycofiend Member UncommonPosts: 129

I LOLed ....

STO = /yawn

• dave6660dave6660 Member UncommonPosts: 2,699
    Originally posted by sycofiend

I LOLed ....

STO = /yawn

STO was supposed to be the "Eve killer".  How's that working out for them?

“There are certain queer times and occasions in this strange mixed affair we call life when a man takes this whole universe for a vast practical joke, though the wit thereof he but dimly discerns, and more than suspects that the joke is at nobody's expense but his own.”
    -- Herman Melville

• korat102korat102 Member Posts: 313

STO had an impossible task. Keep the Star Trek fans happy and keep the MMO fans happy. How could any game possibly do both of those. Everybody wants to be Kirk or Spock. How could you have a universe with thousands of Captain Kirks running around?

I think it was quite brave (stupid?) of Cryptic to take on that task and they've done about as much as could be expected and come up with an MMO that some people like and some don't - pretty much like any other.

Personally I don't like the game. Space combat looks nice with all those lasers/phasers/cannons/mines/torpedoes flying around but you don't have proper 3 dimensional control over your ship (can't do full up or down loops for instance) and early on in your career your ship blows up if a gnat on a planet a thousand light years away sneezes. Ground combat is probably the worse part of the game, you do hardly any damage and can't take any while the mobs hit like trains. It's just not my sort of game. I don't have the patience to build up the ship and character in the way they intend.

Having said that, I'm not much of a Star Trek fan anyway, the whole thing fell apart decades ago when political correctness hit and they had to take the touchy feely talk their way out of everything approach instead of blasting the heck out of anything that either stood still or moved. Probably a hell of a lot more realistic but so boring.

Remember Star Trek, The Movie. Such a promising start with that foreboding music heralding the Klingon formation approaching. It all went downhill rapidly from there. The movie was just absolute nonsense with the poorest acting I have ever seen and they somehow managed to make even worse ones as time went on. The Star Trek series had built up an international fanbase of legendary proportions. The studios somehow managed to fail to capitalise on what they had. Absolutely stunning in their ineptitude.

Anyway, rant over...

• EladiEladi Member UncommonPosts: 1,145

its a real shame that they more or less stopped WiS development. thier engine is probably the best currently in the world far above any Unreal or Crytec tech ( tho most have no clue about the difference between engines)

WiS would have bin the boost that would have given EvE online the next ten years of life, growing life. now Eve will slowly die out until over ten years theres only a small core fan base like there is whit UO now.  I sub to Eve from time to time again, but the game itself is fairly stale now theres only so much gimmicks you can pack up the same old content i

• Z3R01Z3R01 Member UncommonPosts: 2,425

It's too much to ask CCP to make a MMO inside another MMO. 

This is what WiS is. 

Look at all the work they did with WiS and its nothing but a 3d viewing room for your avatar. 

It would take too much to develop and by the time its fully realized the majority of the population would've moved on due to lack of development of the actual game (ships,space).

Maybe 10-20 years from now when they create a Eve Online 2 we will get a fully realized universe with explorable space stations, inhabitable planets, atmospheric flight and ground combat ala Dust all rolled into one.

Playing: Nothing

Looking forward to: Nothing 

• gimmesomegimmesome Member Posts: 362

I agree with those of you that think a fully realized WiS addition would have been a great addition to EVE.   

I'm quite disappointed that they gave us captains quarters and left it at that.     What a waste.  What a useless aspect to have in the game without the rest of it.  WHen they (ccp) decided to backtrack, they should have took it all out instead of leaving it there as a teaser and reminder of the direction EVE could have gone.    

My main issue is that they said they were going to stick to development of the ;core; gameplay, yet, NOTHING has really changed or been added.   They just keep doing graphical tweaks and changing the political systems in the game and honestly who gives a frakk???      almost 2 years of development since the debacle, and now all we get are higher quality ship skins and a reformed war dec. system?  really?>   That's the extent of CCP making EVE more enjoyable...  pathetic.

I will say that missile effects have been a long time deserved, so bravo to them for finally releasing that.    But the rest of Inferno is such a snore.     Really, i'm just bored to death of EVE.    I'm even in a nullsec alliance that constantly is doing something, but that "something" gets stale FAST and requires ALLLLL day commitment to enjoy it.      

I hope WoD isn't so snobby.

• dave6660dave6660 Member UncommonPosts: 2,699
    Originally posted by Eladi

its a real shame that they more or less stopped WiS development. thier engine is probably the best currently in the world far above any Unreal or Crytec tech ( tho most have no clue about the difference between engines)

WiS would have bin the boost that would have given EvE online the next ten years of life, growing life. now Eve will slowly die out until over ten years theres only a small core fan base like there is whit UO now.  I sub to Eve from time to time again, but the game itself is fairly stale now theres only so much gimmicks you can pack up the same old content i

Yes yes, Eve is dying.  It's been dying for 8 years now.

/sarcasm

Doesn't this mantra ever get old?

“There are certain queer times and occasions in this strange mixed affair we call life when a man takes this whole universe for a vast practical joke, though the wit thereof he but dimly discerns, and more than suspects that the joke is at nobody's expense but his own.”
    -- Herman Melville

• KiljaedenasKiljaedenas Member Posts: 468
    Originally posted by dave6660

I LOLed ....

STO = /yawn

Seriously? Which walking brain-fail stated that one? Even before it was launched I could tell STO was a piece of shit.

Where's the any key?

• Ambros123Ambros123 Member Posts: 877
    Originally posted by Kiljaedenas
    Originally posted by dave6660

I LOLed ....

STO = /yawn

Seriously? Which walking brain-fail stated that one? Even before it was launched I could tell STO was a piece of shit.

Prolly the same people that go off and state the [insest new MMO on the horizon] will be the WoW killer for real this time.  EVE will be like WoW as it will never die since it is a completely unique game in it's own right.

This discussion has been closed.