Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Main reason why SWTOR flopped?

Comments

• EffectEffect Member UncommonPosts: 949

Main reason? It's simply not a MMORPG. It's a single player game that is dragged out in hopes of keeping you playing so you continue to pay the subscription fee. That's really the short of for me.

As a result many things that should have been in that are standard for MMOs wasn't included. This cause people to leave after the first month because they didn't pay for a single player game. Some also simply didn't like how it played but I think it all leads back to it being a single player game and not a good one. Players leaving caused problems for the population because there were so many servers and the population was so spread out. Bioware's refusal to merge servers just upset people more so they continued to leave rather then have to start over on a new server. That just keeps continuing. All the while the problems of the game no being a mmo are still having a role.

• TniceTnice Member Posts: 563

SWTOR has no "soul"...nor a looking for dungeon tool.  Not having a automatic LFG tool is so 1999.  It is just unbelieveable that I had to go "LFG" in general chat.  These are but 2 of SWTORs major failings however.  The PvP was just pathetic and unbalanced as well.  There are just too many reasons why this failed.

SWTOR is the biggest failure in gaming history.

• DromedarrDromedarr Member Posts: 76
    Originally posted by Tnice

:D harsh but probably truth

• aionixaionix Member UncommonPosts: 288

Since SWTOR is so heavily single payer oriented with bad MMO mechanics, I'd say the subscription model killed it.  If they made it B2P like GW2 is doing, I think there would have been MUUUUUCH less hatred on the game....hell it might have even been praised for giving us Kotor 3 plus some persistance MMO features.....sadly EA went the greedy route once again.

• Demmi77Demmi77 Member UncommonPosts: 229

i don't think it has "flopped", i think it is "flopping".

The main reasons not in any order that i see the most are:

World pvp is non existent, it is star wars, and a huge chunk of people played to pvp. They lost that whole group almost entireley. You release a game with an open pvp zone in ilum,. Ilum was basically grind for armements  and if it had more than 20 people in teh zone, you'd drop to 1fps. Then was the exploiting, etc etc. They basically closed down their only world pvp. Should never release stuff that is broken.

Performance. It is a known fact the game runs pretty crappy on alot of machines.  people with top end machines getting terrible fps. Again, this was known in closed beta on quite a few quad core processors and some other systems. You don't release a game that doesn't perform well on machines that meet the required specs.

Space Combat. We know it's a "ground game" but it is star wars. The space combat was an insult to people, again in beta, this was bashed to death. Mostly just an opinion here, but i think the could have done anything better than what is in place. feels like im playing an n64 emulator game.

Bugged ops/flashpoints. You don't release a game if your content is broken. It's still broken. 

UI , it was requested time and again over and over. The devs chose not to release a customized ui and it's still not in great shape. Not listening again in beta, the backlash was terrible.

Auction house - still garbage, was garbage in beta. Requested a decent gtn in the beta forums over and over by many people to no avail.

Crafting - slicing exploit was known before the game was released, hence why almost every closed beta tester just sliced their first month away. Was known prior to release, and released anyways.

Crafting - personal opinions here, but it's lacking everything. It's worse than wow crafting. It basically just turned into a "biochem" galaxy. 

armor effect, helms, etc. 9 gazillion equipment display bugs. Known about in beta. Game released anyways. My male marauder has a ghetto booty.

I've stood firm in my personal opinion that the game is flopping becasue they focused all these years on the level 1-50 experience and bombed on the post 50 experience. They made a game they wanted us to play, not a game we want to play. THis is evident by the massive subscription drops.  I myself, wanted to play star wars solely for the "wars". The pvp died, and i left. The last time i logged in to my server there were 3 people in fleet and all of them had been in warzone que for over an hour and a half.

The game has very bad direction. The development team is not listening to the subscriber base. I enjoy a good themepark but this game really is a single player game. The end game content just isn't worth it.

• Storman1977Storman1977 Member Posts: 207
    Originally posted by Dromedarr

:D harsh but probably truth

Not quite yet.  Look up E.T. for the Atari 2600.  Game flopped so bad that the majority of the cartridges made wound up in a Nevada landfill. 

• EletherylEletheryl Member Posts: 152

SWTOR has no "soul"...nor a looking for dungeon tool.  Not having a automatic LFG tool is so 1999.  It is just unbelieveable that I had to go "LFG" in general chat.  These are but 2 of SWTORs major failings however.  The PvP was just pathetic and unbalanced as well.  There are just too many reasons why this failed.

http://www.vgchartz.com/game/31584/star-wars-the-old-republic/ Yes is the biggest failure of the game history, the hate around swtor is just epic, but the truth is, lot of people really love and enjoy the game but the haters just can understand that, so in some point they really want to believe with all their heart that swtor is a fail but deep in their souls they know how wrong they are, but cant admit that.  

Is swtor a fail?, actually is the most successful P2P MMO post wow. That is a fact, live with it. 

Is swtor doomed to fail, No, with at least 3 more content updates and an expansion, it will be one of the biggest MMO in the market, people will quit and come back like they do in everysingle MMO of the last 10 years. 

At the end is all about this ¨Haters gonna hate¨. 

• EmeraqEmeraq Member UncommonPosts: 1,063

It's a flop because "jumping and turning" doesn't feel right?!! Did I read that right?

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] CommonPosts: 0
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • BardusBardus Member Posts: 460

Is "that feeling" kinda like the game is not one with the force? The force being lacking immersion.

• BrooksTechBrooksTech Member Posts: 163

Could not vote.

The game is still the 2nd largest in the mmo space.

• BrooksTechBrooksTech Member Posts: 163
    Originally posted by I_Return

Used wrong engine. The hero engine is for noobs, real mmos create their own engine. The lack of optimization of the engine and the constraint the engines has simply limited what they could build.

This is interesting... how many MMOs do we know of use their own engine?

I would bet that most do not.

• BardusBardus Member Posts: 460
    Originally posted by BrooksTech

Could not vote.

The game is still the 2nd largest in the mmo space.

I dunno. It may be the 1st biggest. Isn't over a 20gig download?

Or was you talking something else cause anything else is highly debatable ATM.

• litewolflitewolf Member UncommonPosts: 18

Wouldnt call it a flop but it was far from a success.

The main reason for me was it was two sided and horrible world pvp. A good world pvp and I can play a game for a couple years. This just wasnt it.

• TuchakaTuchaka Member UncommonPosts: 468

i don't think there is one reason but i think for the casuals the biggest problem is there is a almost total divorce from 1-49 and endgame and that is total letdown for those people.

• rojoArcueidrojoArcueid Member EpicPosts: 10,722

when you charge a subscription to a game like swtor, you most likely fail. Remove the sub and people will come back.

• toddzetoddze Member UncommonPosts: 2,150

Lets see:

Its a single player RPG masquerading around as an MMO.

That pretty much covers it.

Waiting for:EQ-Next, ArcheAge (not so much anymore)
    Now Playing: N/A
    Worst MMO: FFXIV
    Favorite MMO: FFXI

• KeushpuppyKeushpuppy Member UncommonPosts: 171

It flopped? Damn some one should of told me. All this time me and my friends thought we were having fun.

• SiveriaSiveria Member UncommonPosts: 1,416

Its rather simple, the game is just a carbon copy and paste of world of warcraft with nothing else to fall back on, other than a starwars skin over it. Bioware didn't even really try to do anything orignal and it was just a fairly boring experence, I was gonna buy the game till I tried the open beta and relised its just a crapier version of world of warcraft which I was also bored of. All in all devs need to stop trying to make wow and start doing something diffrent, maybe swtor flopping so hard will finally cause them to wake up.

Being a pessimist is a win-win pattern of thinking. If you're a pessimist (I'll admit that I am!) you're either:

A. Proven right (if something bad happens)

or

B. Pleasantly surprised (if something good happens)

Either way, you can't lose! Try it out sometime!

• AG-VukAG-Vuk Member UncommonPosts: 823

There are only 2 reasons needed.

1. BW lack of experience in MMO's
    2. 2 gets back to one , they made  KoTOR as a multi-player. A great single player,  not so good as a multi.

As for flopped , that's actually questionable . It had impressive sales numbes. especially digital. Which tranlsates into huge profits. Flop ? Financially , I doubt it. In your mind , because it didn't deliver what you wanted, perhaps.  

• Trol1Trol1 Member Posts: 175
    Originally posted by AG-Vuk

There are only 2 reasons needed.

1. BW lack of experience in MMO's
    2. 2 gets back to one , they made  KoTOR as a multi-player. A great single player,  not so good as a multi.

As for flopped , that's actually questionable . It had impressive sales numbes. especially digital. Which tranlsates into huge profits. Flop ? Financially , I doubt it. In your mind , because it didn't deliver what you wanted, perhaps.  

Just love that reason there... *rolls eyes*

Hint: Mythic: Dark Age of Camelot was their first MMORPG aside from a MUD (Darkness Falls) - care to enlighten us how DAoC flopped? Considering that after almost 11 years running it still has a solid fan base?

Would be a rather sad (well sadder) world if our only hope for a "good" MMO was to rest with those companies that already have created at least one MMO.

• WellzyCWellzyC Member UncommonPosts: 599

cut scenes  cut scenes....  and mindless gameplay..

we dont play video games to watch cut scenes...

The way mmo's were: Community, Exploration, Character Development, Conquest.

The way mmo's are now : Cut-Scenes,Cut-Scenes, solo Questing, Cut-Scenes...

www.CeaselessGuild.com

• Trol1Trol1 Member Posts: 175

Not sure about the "soul" part... I mean I've seen loads of black characters in there and I assume they have soul... or is that like in the Amazon Women on the Moon commercial for Blacks without Soul?

Anyhow, "soul" is rather complicated because, well, let's face it, for real "soul" you'd have to have hundreds, potentially thousands of fully fleshed out, voice acted NPCs in each major hub.

Frankly, I've not seen one MMO that actually succeeds on that end...

The bit about an automatic LFG tool... I'm sorry but this always feels to me like that stupid moronic woman standing in front of train doors and she can't get in as the doors won't open. Well, d'oh, there is a huge green "push to open" button on the door (which actually says "push to open") but she expects that the door will automatically open for her...

aside from the fact that via the friend (and other) tab you could flag yourself for everybody as LFG (even with comment for further details!) you could use the tool to find ppl LFGing - surprise!

Sorry but considering a missing tool of really low importance a reason why SWTOR fails just shows how lazy today's gamers are. 

• joocheesejoocheese Member Posts: 845
    Originally posted by WellzyC

cut scenes  cut scenes....  and mindless gameplay..

we dont play video games to watch cut scenes...

Agreed...

It seemd to me that they banked on the idea that its a Star Wars franchise and that in itself would be enough to carry SWTOR; obviously they've realized they were wrong.

• CyclopsSlayerCyclopsSlayer Member UncommonPosts: 532

Why did I quit SWToR? nb. Some of these may no longer apply, I left at the end of the first month.

-Trivial levelling curve, got 2 chars to L50 and a third to L32 on the opposite faction. Only to find the 'endgame' incomplete and broken.

-Shallow and repetitive play that was so channelled that "On the Rails" is an understatement

-excessive use of cutscenes, many of which involved pointless chat break points that <space><space><space> required bypassing <space><space> to avoid going insane. Lets not even discuss the cutscenes and long runs just to travel into and out of a starport... /shudder

-At NO point from L1 to L50 is a partner or group required or even wanted. Yes, you may need a group in a Flashpoint, but  at no point 1-50 was it required to enter one.

-...as well a few minor points... A Galactic Market that was incapable of sorting properly. Rampant faction imbalances. Support handled by a team in I think India that was incapable of assistance or even of understanding any issues.

This discussion has been closed.