Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Buying a new PC, need your opinions

2»

Comments

• miguksarammiguksaram Member UncommonPosts: 835
    Originally posted by Quizzical

I don't see any sense in going with a liquid cooling system, especially if you're not going to overclock.  It's more money and more things that can go wrong without any real benefit.

While the above statement is true I would like to point out that the "all in one" CPU liquid cooling solutions the OP posted don't have the same problems traditional systems do.  They are completely self contained and do not require standard maintenance.  Which means aside from some extremely odd circumstance there it next to no possibility of those causing damage to a system.  You do pay more for them than most air cooling solutions but that is usually accompanied with an overall more silent system.

EDIT: I personally use the following and it's very quite and keeps my CPU at 26c idle 40c load:

Antec Kuhler H2O 920 CPU Cooler Socket 775/1155/1156/1366, AM2/AM2+/AM3/AM3+, 700~2400 RPM, 110 CFM, 27.4 dBA

• NetspookNetspook Member UncommonPosts: 1,583
    Originally posted by miguksaram

I don't see any sense in going with a liquid cooling system, especially if you're not going to overclock.  It's more money and more things that can go wrong without any real benefit.

While the above statement is true I would like to point out that the "all in one" CPU liquid cooling solutions the OP posted don't have the same problems traditional systems do.  They are completely self contained and do not require standard maintenance.  Which means aside from some extremely odd circumstance there it next to no possibility of those causing damage to a system.  You do pay more for them than most air cooling solutions but that is usually accompanied with an overall more silent system.

EDIT: I personally use the following and it's very quite and keeps my CPU at 26c idle 40c load:

Antec Kuhler H2O 920 CPU Cooler Socket 775/1155/1156/1366, AM2/AM2+/AM3/AM3+, 700~2400 RPM, 110 CFM, 27.4 dBA

Interesting. The web site I'll be ordering the PC from, has phone support. I decided to call them to ask for their opinions. They said that considering cooling alone, it's unlikely that I'll need a liquid cooler. But if I want to reduce noice, the Antec Kuhler is a good option. And noice is certanly something to consider for me, my current system isn't exactly silent, and I don't want that again.

Oh well. This is a tough choice. Guess I have some thinking to do the next two weeks, before I order the rig. :)

• adoloadolo Member Posts: 66

Some sites stick to what they know.  ... They often also have goofy configurations that might make sense in certain niches, but aren't broadly sensible.

Honestly, it was just an open, friendly offering of additional information that is widely available on the internet. Use it, don't use it, agree, don't agree, it is just information to add for the sake of sharing and community. There is no reason to call my personal opinions, decisions, mantras, methods or other as ridiculous, nor the articles provided as stupid. That is just arguing for the sake of argument which is juvenile and counterproductive.

@ OP: Read, read, read, research, research, research and then find some more. You can never have enough knowledge or information on tap. Technology is a moving target, simply make your decision based off your needs and budget and go for it. Building PC's is great fun and immensely satisfying. Good luck and I hope it turns out like you dream it will.

Peace!

Jules: You know the shows on TV?
    Vincent: I don't watch TV.
    Jules: Yeah, but, you are aware that there's an invention called television, and on this invention they show shows, right?

• KabaalKabaal Member UncommonPosts: 3,042

Closed loop cooling is in no way quieter than good air cooling, it doesn't even perform as well to off set that. Other than size and the cool factor theres no reason to use one when cheaper, quieter and better air cooling is available.

• Loke666Loke666 Member EpicPosts: 21,441
    Originally posted by Kabaal

Closed loop cooling is in no way quieter than good air cooling, it doesn't even perform as well to off set that. Other than size and the cool factor theres no reason to use one when cheaper, quieter and better air cooling is available.

Yes it is and it does. And also the size is no bonus whatsoever, my Corsair H70 is huge compared to a CPU fan.

It is about 20-25% quieter than a standard fan, and cools things down like a third more than the standard.

It is still not worth it unless you plan to OC, because a good case will make the computer even more silent and have a lot of other advantages too.

• RidelynnRidelynn Member EpicPosts: 7,383

Originally posted by Quizzical I don't see any sense in going with a liquid cooling system, especially if you're not going to overclock.  It's more money and more things that can go wrong without any real benefit.
    While the above statement is true I would like to point out that the "all in one" CPU liquid cooling solutions the OP posted don't have the same problems traditional systems do.  They are completely self contained and do not require standard maintenance.  Which means aside from some extremely odd circumstance there it next to no possibility of those causing damage to a system.  You do pay more for them than most air cooling solutions but that is usually accompanied with an overall more silent system. EDIT: I personally use the following and it's very quite and keeps my CPU at 26c idle 40c load: Antec Kuhler H2O 920 CPU Cooler Socket 775/1155/1156/1366, AM2/AM2+/AM3/AM3+, 700~2400 RPM, 110 CFM, 27.4 dBA

This isn't entirely true.

Now, different packages (Corsair H20, Kuhler, etc) are basically the same (in fact, I think the internal pumps are the same). You basically pick how big of a radiator you want (the bigger - the more cooling capacity, but not necessarily cooling) and what fan configuration you get. The fans you use determine how effective the unit will be cooling-wise, as well as how noisy the unit will be.

The single biggest advantage to these closed loop systems is that you have the capability to externally exhaust all of the heat from your CPU, rather than (like 95% of all air coolers do) exhausting it inside the case, then relying on case ventilation to remove the heat from inside the case. It makes a large difference when considering the overall thermal performance of your system, even if the actual CPU temperatures are roughly the same.

They are basically 0-maintenance, and have a reliability/life expectancy roughly the same of any other air cooler (the pump inside is about as likely to go out as any fan, and the chance of a leak is not 0 but very low). Their performance depends greatly on what fan you use with the unit, and how much surface area of radiator you can squeeze inside your case.

All of that being said - I can't say that it's necessarily a great investment. A $30 air cooler will perform about the same for your CPU, so long as you have enough case ventilation. But if you are looking at "premium" air coolers that are upwards of $70+, or you have some unusual thermal needs (small case form factor, near-silent design, SLI/CFX builds), then being able to externally exhaust the CPU heat makes a big difference in how you can put together your build.

• QuizzicalQuizzical Member LegendaryPosts: 25,346

Some air cooling systems are louder than others.  Some water cooling systems are louder than others, too.  You can get air cooling systems that prioritize quiet, at the expense of not providing as good of cooling performance as other aftermarket coolers.  I'm not aware of any liquid cooling systems that take that approach, though there might be some that I'm not aware of.  If you're not overclocking, then even a relatively bad aftermarket cooler is plenty good enough on cooling performance, as it will still be a lot better than the stock cooler.

• KabaalKabaal Member UncommonPosts: 3,042

@Ridelynn

Still doesn't get around the fact that the closed loops are worse at cooling than good air coolers, with the exception of perhaps the H100. Even then it's only 1 to 2 degrees celcius better than a £30 cheaper Phanteks air cooler plus the H100 is REALLY noisy without spending even more to replace the fans whereas the Phanteks is practically silent.

If using a really crap case or a small form factor one then sure it would be a decent idea to go for one of the closed loops, otherwise i think it's silly.

@RidelynnStill doesn't get around the fact that the closed loops are worse at cooling than good air coolers, with the exception of perhaps the H100. Even then it's only 1 to 2 degrees celcius better than a £30 cheaper Phanteks air cooler plus the H100 is REALLY noisy without spending even more to replace the fans whereas the Phanteks is practically silent.If using a really crap case or a small form factor one then sure it would be a decent idea to go for one of the closed loops, otherwise i think it's silly.

You are assuming that ~every~ closed loop system comes with noisy fans, or with inferior fans. It all boils down to surface area and fan performance - no matter if you choose closed loop or air cooler. Closed loop just move that surface area to a point of your choosing (because the liquid lets you transport the heat).

There are some bad closed loop packages, no doubt - just like there are plenty of bad air-coolers (hmm, stock coolers come to mind). That doesn't mean all closed loop systems are flawed, just like crappy stock coolers doesn't mean that you can't get decent performance with air alone.

If you use the same fan, and have the same surface area (radiator on a closed loop compared to fins on an air cooler), a closed loop cooler and an air cooler will perform remarkably similar, with the nod going to the closed loop because it can move the heat directly out of the case, whereas the air cooler has to dump heat right on top of the CPU into the case.

You can get air cooling systems that prioritize quiet, at the expense of not providing as good of cooling performance as other aftermarket coolers.  I'm not aware of any liquid cooling systems that take that approach, though there might be some that I'm not aware of.

0 fans, 1 submersed pump - very quiet. Only rated to about 125W TDP, but it will cool that to acceptable levels.

http://www.zalman.com/eng/product/Product_Read.asp?idx=183

The Corsair H80 and H100 come with configuration software that lets you adjust pump and fan speeds, to optimize for noise (or cooling), with a preset "Quiet" mode. Antec Kuhler 920 has pretty much the same thing as the Corsair (I think they actually had it first, it was added on to the H100 later). You may be able to argue the H70 as well, as it doesn't come with pre-installed fans, allowing you to put in low-noise fans if you chose.

The Koolance pre-configured rigs (Exos, ERM, EXT) have configurable fan and pump speeds with temperature setpoints. The EXT has 10-step discrete fan controls (with manual pump control). The Exos have 10-step discrete fan & pump levels (based on temperature), and the ERM has a PWM-based fan ramp-up (but no pump control - it's meant for cooling multiple rack-based systems from a common controller). These systems start to get a bit more pricey, as they are highly configurable and are capable of rejecting a lot of heat.

These are the only pre-packaged units I know of off the top of my head that do or are able to prioritize noise levels over performance.