Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

You Can't RP in GW2

Comments

• LeodiousLeodious Member UncommonPosts: 773

Originally posted by Kaniver
    hmmmmmm

I've NEVER used chat bubbles and have roleplayed for YEARS

This for me also. I don't care about them at all, and if they do add them for players, I want the ability to turn that off. I roleplay all the time, and I never use them.

Beyond that, it is totally ridiculous to claim you can't roleplay because one tiny feature is not present. Even if you would like it. And I think they should add it, if for no other reasons that that it would be easy and some people like it.

Originally posted by Speire
    Originally posted by Czanrei I agree with the OP. Unfortunately, the majority of the posters on this site aren't even RP'ers if they don't think chat bubbles are needed, especially in a highly populated mmo like GW2.  So far, it just looks like a lot of trolling going on. 
    Absolutely. It can be an option tho, for using chatbubble function. Never see people RP'ing with voice chat or looking at the chat box.

I see both of those on a very regular basis. Don't assume everyone is so limited as you, or even that they need/want the same things.

"There are two great powers, and they've been fighting since time began. Every advance in human life, every scrap of knowledge and wisdom and decency we have has been torn by one side from the teeth of the other. Every little increase in human freedom has been fought over ferociously between those who want us to know more and be wiser and stronger, and those who want us to obey and be humble and submit."

— John Parry, to his son Will; "The Subtle Knife," by Phillip Pullman

• ScarlyngScarlyng Member UncommonPosts: 159

I think some folks ought to learn what the word "need" means.

I would have no problem if bubbles were added, with the turn-off option available.  However, the idea of "needing" them to RP fills me with disdain.  They are a convenience for RP, nothing more.

The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore, all progress depends on the unreasonable man. -- George Bernard Shaw

• GreenishBlueGreenishBlue Member Posts: 263

Yes, you can RP without bubbles.

/thread

• MeowheadMeowhead Member UncommonPosts: 3,716
    Originally posted by Czanrei

I agree with the OP. Unfortunately, the majority of the posters on this site aren't even RP'ers if they don't think chat bubbles are needed, especially in a highly populated mmo like GW2.  So far, it just looks like a lot of trolling going on. 

You're 36 years old according to your profile.  Did you think they invented RPing just recently?  Because chat bubbles haven't actually been in online games for that long.

Chat bubbles are a convenience for some people, but they're not NEEDED.  Even in games that have them, I don't use them.  I'm too used to RPing from all text places.

Originally posted by Maephisto

RP'ing....??? I can understand using games as a retreat from real life. But I fear that some of you are still reeling from the fact santa doesnt exist.

I will forever rant against Rp'ers after watching a stream showing what goes on in moonguard. You guys have had your party for long enough. You should be ashamed of yourselves.

Now I'm sort of curious what this stream involves! Just at a guess, I'm thinking some sort of cyber sex. This reminds me of somebody ranting at people who read books 'Because I read a Penthouse Letters once, and I know what goes on in those books, you should be ashamed of yourselves'.

... also, I'm not sure how 'playing MMORPGs without RP' puts somebody in any sort of superior position to somebody who RPs. You're both pretty much just wasting time. :D

• NanfoodleNanfoodle Member LegendaryPosts: 10,617
    Originally posted by Kaniver

hmmmmmm

I've NEVER used chat bubbles and have roleplayed for YEARS

This... lol. Still would like chat bubbles but it wont end RP.

• TwoThreeFourTwoThreeFour Member UncommonPosts: 2,155

I've roleplayed a silent assassin in many PvP games. 

• WolfynsongWolfynsong Member Posts: 237
    Originally posted by TwoThreeFour

I've roleplayed a silent assassin in many PvP games. 

I see what you did there!

• palulalulapalulalula Member UncommonPosts: 651

It is not RP game just mmo

• Eir_SEir_S Member UncommonPosts: 4,440
    Originally posted by palulalula

Wrong.  You can RP in any game, especially one where you make your own story as you go.  

• SorrowSorrow Member Posts: 1,195

You know what would be cool is chat bubbles that you could shape, color, border with an emote so they displayed the mood you held when making the statement.

• WolfynsongWolfynsong Member Posts: 237
    Originally posted by palulalula

You know what "MMORPG" stands for, right?  Notice the "RP" part in there?

Well, to be fair, if you said this about any other game, you would probably be right.  The genre on the whole has kind of forgotten the whole 'role-play' aspect of their design.  But the fact that you would have been right only points out yet another issue with MMORPG's, because you should be completely wrong.

• Eir_SEir_S Member UncommonPosts: 4,440
    Originally posted by Sorrow

You know what would be cool is chat bubbles that you could shape, color, border with an emote so they displayed the mood you held when making the statement.

I don't know many RP'ers personally..... ok, I don't know any, but they may or may not like this - my thinking is that it would take away from their expression, they might instead like a /s type chat but with the ability to use /me beforehand, ie: "/me says angrily "Blah blah blah your dragon killed my dog".  Shapes would be cool though IMO.  If you shout, it would be like a spiky word bubble that would amuse most of us, but might not hold much value for RP'ers.  Just a thought.

• itgrowlsitgrowls Member Posts: 2,951

Because there is no chat bubble function.

Oh good lord, it's not finished yet. Might wanna wait until its out of beta and then post things like this. The next beta won't even include the two races everyone's been itching to play yet so, it's far from finished.

• CorehavenCorehaven Member UncommonPosts: 1,533
    Originally posted by GreenishBlue

Yes, you can RP without bubbles.

/thread

Yes you can.  I might have only played Star Trek Online for a month and a half (regretably) but I was in an RP fleet in that game and we met up in Starbase and talked as though we were our real characters.  Never used any chat bubbles just did it all in window.  Pretty easy to do. 

But chat bubbles would be a welcome feature. 

• FrodoFraginsFrodoFragins Member EpicPosts: 5,905
    Originally posted by aSynchro
    is that true ?

That's a major drawback for rp indeed !

I can't stand or understand RPers with their chat bubbles but I almost always leave them alone.

• ZillenZillen Member Posts: 141

Originally posted by aSynchro
    is that true ?That's a major drawback for rp indeed !

Boo. Freaking. Hoo. IMO.

I'm not trying to be mean to RPers or anything. I've tried it myself and never, ever was able to understand the appeal, but I don't really care as long as it doesn't impact my playing experience.

But I digress.

As the existence of servers specifically designated as your cage may have informed you, you are not the birds they're looking for. Unfortunately for the RP community, the major target audience is no longer a group that wants immersion - it's a community that thrives around actual gameplay mechanics. RP has, for better or worse, dwindled in popularity. You are unlikely to see many future games that specifically change design features for your convenience.

PS: Not targeting aSynchro specifically, just liked his quote.

I'm really sick of the whole "There's a massive fanbase for X", or "Y would be a WoW-killer if it just had a chance".

There is no massive conspiracy waiting in the MMO playerbase.

There are no "sleeper-agent fans" waiting to convert once the X or Y is unleashed on the world.

• RequiamerRequiamer Member Posts: 2,034

Not only chat bubble help rp, but when you have a conversation with people it help identify who talk and say what, it also let you focus on a the scene rather than a chat box that are pretty annoying to watch. So it's not only an rp thing, its all the conversation that get better. The only problem is when chat bubble cluster your screen for whatever reason and you don't want a lot of them in combat, so it must be a smart option. But for the rest they are great and not only for rp, i like the fact they are in GW2, I hope they'll be able to develop this feature fully.

• RaekonRaekon Member UncommonPosts: 531

City of Heroes/Villains had this since 2004. :)

As about the OP I can only say: "Oh great! Another Bookah! -_-"

I have RPed in games 12 years ago already (Neverwinter Nights on private servers as example) and had no problems RPing at all.

• fenistilfenistil Member Posts: 3,005
    Originally posted by itgrowls

Because there is no chat bubble function.

Oh good lord, it's not finished yet. Might wanna wait until its out of beta and then post things like this. The next beta won't even include the two races everyone's been itching to play yet so, it's far from finished.

Yeah. Same thing was said about Swtor and guess what?

No chat bubbles 6 months after premiere and BW said that they won't implement them, cause they're not able to do it without huge performance hit for those using them. (lol? like it was some kind of NASA technology ang mmorpg would not have bubble chat for 15 years already...)

While GW2 seem like great game and I liked beta + Arena.net seem nice dev team - I will believe that there are bubble chat WHEN I see them.  Defintely won't 'wait till beta is finished'.

Just to clarify things a bit. I am NOT rp'er.  I don't RP with others.

I do like immersion though  + bubble chat just simply make normal conversation much easier as well.

Not just RP conversation.

• seridanseridan Member UncommonPosts: 1,202

Chat bubbles aren't a requirement to RP is a game, but that's not the main issue in GW2. The game badly needs a way for people close to one another, to communicate properly. Right now, "Local" chat channel isn't  a very effective way of communicating, it covers a very wide area. Chat bubbles are a very effective way to resolve this issue, although having a proper "Local" channel is more effective in certain situations. Chat bubbles can get in the way if lots of people talk at the same time (the game IS crowded after all) and an alternative would also be needed.

Block the trolls, don't answer them, so we can remove the garbage from these forums

• kinartkinart Member UncommonPosts: 127

Misleading thread title.

If anything, not having to pay monthly fees encourages people to spend time on other activities besides leveling / achievement hunting, and one of them is RPing.

Originally posted by seridan

Chat bubbles aren't a requirement to RP is a game, but that's not the main issue in GW2. The game badly needs a way for people close to one another, to communicate properly. Right now, "Local" chat channel isn't  a very effective way of communicating, it covers a very wide area. Chat bubbles are a very effective way to resolve this issue, although having a proper "Local" channel is more effective in certain situations. Chat bubbles can get in the way if lots of people talk at the same time (the game IS crowded after all) and an alternative would also be needed.

That's why game need both of those things.

Proper 'local' as within "voice range" chat + bubble chat. (with option to turn off for those that don't like it)

Implementing bubble chat without proper /say range chat would be stupid - cause bubble chat concersations would either have to appear at 'wide range local' which would be nonsense or don't appear inot chat window at all which would be ridiculous as well (since people with bubble chat turned off would not see those conversations at all).

@kinart

Troll much? RP'ing is totally not connected to business model.

• Methos12Methos12 Member UncommonPosts: 1,244
    Originally posted by The_Korrigan

Chat bubble:

Civilized men are more discourteous than savages because they know they can be impolite without having their skulls split, as a general thing.
  • observerobserver Member RarePosts: 3,685

Now that would be amazing.  You should suggest it on their forums this weekend.

@Methos12

Have you even played GW2?  Or you just happily trolling?

Bubble chat is ONLY used by NPC's atm.

Players cannot say anything through bubble.