Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

You Can't RP in GW2

zxcvbnm1234zxcvbnm1234 Member Posts: 92

Because there is no chat bubble function.

Comments

• KaniverKaniver Member UncommonPosts: 110

hmmmmmm

I've NEVER used chat bubbles and have roleplayed for YEARS

• CorehavenCorehaven Member UncommonPosts: 1,533

Supposedly if you are in a group it does.  Otherwise no. 

There are rumors of them implementing it at some time in the future.  We'll just have to see. 

• aSynchroaSynchro Member UncommonPosts: 194
    is that true ?

That's a major drawback for rp indeed !
  • JHoersten2JHoersten2 Member UncommonPosts: 125

Actually, it's a feature that is planned to be implemented.  They simple haven't included it in the beta distributions, however.

No need to worry, you'll get your RP on with chat bubbles.

-Sedge

[Rest in Pieces]

• gladosrev2gladosrev2 Member CommonPosts: 203
    Originally posted by Speire

Because there is no chat bubble function.

FYI, RP means Role-Playing, as in pretending to be someone else, and playing out that part. Chat bubbles are as important for this as smoking is for whales. There are plenty MMO's out there that don't have chat bubbles and allow just fine for any RP activities you can imagine.

My Guild Wars 2 First Beta Weekend "reviewette" : http://www.mmorpg.com/discussion2.cfm/post/4944570/thread/349125#4944570

• JoeyMMOJoeyMMO Member UncommonPosts: 1,326

It's possible that GW2 leaves things to be desired in the RP department, but chat bubbles isn't one of them for me. If anything, I find chat bubbles more immersion-breaking than adding to RP. If a game has chat bubbles, and I can turn them off, it's one of the first things I do.

imageimage
  • The_KorriganThe_Korrigan Member RarePosts: 3,459

Chat bubble:

Respect, walk, what did you say?
    Respect, walk
    Are you talkin' to me? Are you talkin' to me?
    - PANTERA at HELLFEST 2023
    Yes, they are back !

• DakeruDakeru Member EpicPosts: 3,802

I don't need chatbubbles to RP, you bookah!

Harbinger of Fools
  • QSatuQSatu Member UncommonPosts: 1,796

Wait.. what? You are bad at rping if you need chat bubbles. Sure I hope they will implement those but it's not a gamebreaking feature.

• seridanseridan Member UncommonPosts: 1,202

Chat bubbles have nothing to do with RP.....

Block the trolls, don't answer them, so we can remove the garbage from these forums

• Master10KMaster10K Member Posts: 3,065

Bring it up in the next beta and they will add it, just like they did with keybind-modifiers.

• The_KorriganThe_Korrigan Member RarePosts: 3,459
    Originally posted by Master10K

Bring it up in the next beta and they will add it, just like they did with keybind-modifiers.

And it won't be hard programming wise, since there are already chat bubbles for NPCs... they have the code.

Respect, walk, what did you say?
    Respect, walk
    Are you talkin' to me? Are you talkin' to me?
    - PANTERA at HELLFEST 2023
    Yes, they are back !

• MeowheadMeowhead Member UncommonPosts: 3,716

I spent almost two hours RPing last BWE.

Of course, while that proves you can RP in GW2, that also proves that I need to use my time more efficiently during limited events.

• fenistilfenistil Member Posts: 3,005

You don't need chat bubble for RP 

BUT

Imho not having chat bubble option (so those who don't like can turn it off and just have all conversation only in chat window) is very very very bad.  Not only cause of RP thing. 

Actually mostly not cause of RP.  

Dynamic Events cause people to frequenly meet and casually group.

Chat bubble would make casual conversation much easier and better.

Now having to look in chat window and then look on screen who said what is just really tiring, counterproductive and just plainly sucks.

While GW2 is great game - I am still amazed that genre overall does not put bubble chat as standard game feature. 

Damn with all this WoW copying going around - hello WoW also have bubble chat! So if you have to copy something copy this....

• grimmlibertygrimmliberty Member UncommonPosts: 41
    Originally posted by Meowhead

I spent almost two hours RPing last BWE.

Of course, while that proves you can RP in GW2, that also proves that I need to use my time more efficiently during limited events.

AWESOME AWARD granted!

It sure does.... but that's ok, THIS time you'll hunt for bugs and report them, right?  ;-P 

Sincerely,
    Grimm Liberty

• observerobserver Member RarePosts: 3,685

I really hope they put them in before launch.  I hate having to look at the chat window that's cluttered with nonsense from General and other channels, when having a conversation with a friend.  Chat bubbles also make it more social when you're next to people that want help, or just being friendly.

• DeaconXDeaconX Member UncommonPosts: 3,062

Sure you can ... at least, two friends and I seemed totally able to!  I wouldn't be leading an RP guild if you couldn't...

Could there be some more RP functionality in the game? HECK yes!  And hopefully in time there will be... for now, all we really need to RP is the immersive world and the will to do it.

Why do I write, create, fantasize, dream and daydream about other worlds? Because I hate what humanity does with this one.

BOYCOTTING EA / ORIGIN going forward.

• sajahsajah Member Posts: 35

RP doesn't need bubbles, it needs players and a game master.

• FalcomithFalcomith Member UncommonPosts: 830

OP, have you played LOTRO on the Landroval server? When I played a few years back, they didn't have chat bubbles. Yet, the server had a huge RP community. Allot RPed around the prancing pony and no one seemed to mind there was no chat bubbles. It may be still that way today, I'm not sure. Sine it's now F2P maybe you can take a look and see how they are dealing with it.

Also ArenaNet has stated in past articles they are looking into chat bubbles, but it's not on the top of the list as there are game bugs to squash first.

• terrantterrant Member Posts: 1,683

From the last patch notes that got released somewhere or another, they were already adding a real /say (as opposed to the gimpy local chat) and local speech bubbles. Topic is now moot, move along.

• McGamerMcGamer Member UncommonPosts: 1,073

I agree with the OP. Unfortunately, the majority of the posters on this site aren't even RP'ers if they don't think chat bubbles are needed, especially in a highly populated mmo like GW2.  So far, it just looks like a lot of trolling going on. 

• QuenchsterQuenchster Member Posts: 450

I would like an option for it. I can see why some people wouldn't want chat bubbles, because it can block a person from viewing enemy animations, but an option would be nice.

• MaephistoMaephisto Member Posts: 632

RP'ing....???   I can understand using games as a retreat from real life.   But I fear that some of you are still reeling from the fact santa doesnt exist. 

I will forever rant against Rp'ers after watching a stream showing what goes on in moonguard.  You guys have had your party for long enough.  You should be ashamed of yourselves.

• zxcvbnm1234zxcvbnm1234 Member Posts: 92
    Originally posted by Czanrei

I agree with the OP. Unfortunately, the majority of the posters on this site aren't even RP'ers if they don't think chat bubbles are needed, especially in a highly populated mmo like GW2.  So far, it just looks like a lot of trolling going on. 

Absolutely. It can be an option tho, for using chatbubble function. Never see people RP'ing with voice chat or looking at the chat box.

• heartlessheartless Member UncommonPosts: 4,993

I don't RP but the game does need chat bubbles. Badly.