Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

ZeniMax 'unapologetic' about making Elder Scrolls MMO

Comments

• RophezRophez Member Posts: 46
    Originally posted by ShakyMo

TES sounds like a BETTER GW2. 

Fully open world not  zoned to fuck

open dungeons

3 proper factions with proper content for each faction rather than using the COST CUTTING model of 3 servers from GW2 or everyone be chums together in PVE model of TSW.  also no super shit 2 week reset to keep the balance obsessive wow kiddies happy.

TES crafting instead of WOW crafting

Bingo.  A lot of people don't get the fact that GW2 doing the multi-server battles is really cutting corners and will actually decrease realm pride and the whole immersion aspect.  These factors will play a great role in how long someone will stick with a game.  GW2 is a great effort - they are at least trying some new things, but really I think TESO is going to be a more quality product.

• SEANMCADSEANMCAD Member EpicPosts: 16,775
    Originally posted by SEANMCAD

'We're making an MMO, we're unapologetic about that. This is the Elder Scrolls MMO. It's not Skyrim, Skyrim already exists and you can go play Skyrim'

That was hysterical what a bunch of card carry class A morons. They really need to log into Darkfall for a weekend the stupid a$$es

yes im sure zenimaxs developers went "hmmm darkfall thats a roaring success that is, we should go copy that"

LOLITY FRIKIN LOL

Not a single reason whatsoever does the feature list that they are 'unpologetic' about have anything at all even remotely close to do with why people dont like Darkfall and anyone who has played Darkfall game for more than 10 mins knows for a fact as much as the sun is in the sky that Zenimax is full of sh*t. Almost every single feature they say cant be done or how amazing it is that they are doing it is already in Darkfall and functioning perfectly.

Reason people dont like darkfall is they dont like having their A$$ handed to them PEROID.

Please do not respond to me, even if I ask you a question, its rhetorical.

Please do not respond to me

• TheLizardbonesTheLizardbones Member CommonPosts: 10,910

Originally posted by ShakyMo Originally posted by SEANMCAD 'We're making an MMO, we're unapologetic about that. This is the Elder Scrolls MMO. It's not Skyrim, Skyrim already exists and you can go play Skyrim'   That was hysterical what a bunch of card carry class A morons. They really need to log into Darkfall for a weekend the stupid a$$es  
    yes im sure zenimaxs developers went "hmmm darkfall thats a roaring success that is, we should go copy that"   LOLITY FRIKIN LOL
    Not a single reason whatsoever does the feature list that they are 'unpologetic' about have anything at all even remotely close to do with why people dont like Darkfall and anyone who has played Darkfall game for more than 10 mins knows for a fact as much as the sun is in the sky that Zenimax is full of sh*t. Almost every single feature they say cant be done or how amazing it is that they are doing it is already in Darkfall and functioning perfectly.

Reason people dont like darkfall is they dont like having their A$$ handed to them PEROID.

Some people find the game boring. Waiting a couple weeks while your poor little avatar grinds away on trees or other inanimate stuff is pretty boring.

I can not remember winning or losing a single debate on the internet.

• SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 31,892
    Originally posted by Lawlmonster

Yeah, this isn't news to me. The individual I know working for development on TES has been pretty unapologetic every time we've spoken about the project. I've posted more details regarding what I've heard from this person, and if you're interested you can find that post here:

http://www.mmorpg.com/discussion2.cfm/post/5024735#5024735

Well, here's one way to think about it:

Given what you said about expanding the universe it seems that they aren't interested in making "Skyrim Online" or "Morrowind Online" but instead want to reach out to themepark mmo players and offer a version of Elderscrolls specifically for their demographic.

Which actually makes sense.

They aren't saying "hey, there are all these Elderscrolls fans, let's make them an online game". They are saying "hey, there are all these mmo players, lets' bring them the Elderscrolls lore in a medium they are comfortable with.

Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 
  • SlampigSlampig Member UncommonPosts: 2,342

If this game can capture some of the, essence, for lack of a better word, of the PvP from Dark Age of Camelot, I might be sold...

That Guild Wars 2 login screen knocked up my wife. Must be the second coming!

• YamotaYamota Member UncommonPosts: 6,593
    Originally posted by Johnie-Marz

When Skyrim came out there was a lot of talk about it on MMORPG, gamers were saying that Bathesda made a single player game that out MMO'd the MMO's that are currently out.

The consensus was, if they could take Skyrim (Or at least what was good about it) and make an MMO out of it, it would be a great MMO. Better than the stagnant games that are prevalent throughout the MMO-verse.

Now Zinimax is saying, We are not making a Skyrim MMO, we are going to make The Elder Scrolls Online, like the MMO's that currently out there. 

After the anger dies down, there is going to be a lot of head scratching, Why did ZiniMax take a game that people wanted to be made into an MMO, why did they take a game people were pointing to as, "That's how it is done" then take away what was good about the game and announce, we are going to make a generic MMO and we aren't going to apologizing about it.

This is what baffles me as well. Alot of people are saying that Skyrim is the way MMORPGs should be like. So what do the devs do? Create an Elder Scrolls MMO which is NOT like Skyrim. That just doesn't make any damn sense!

Maybe it's just the fact tha MMO devs are so driven by (WoW) profit that they have gotten completely out of touch with the customer base.

• YamotaYamota Member UncommonPosts: 6,593
    Originally posted by Sovrath

Yeah, this isn't news to me. The individual I know working for development on TES has been pretty unapologetic every time we've spoken about the project. I've posted more details regarding what I've heard from this person, and if you're interested you can find that post here:

Given what you said about expanding the universe it seems that they aren't interested in making "Skyrim Online" or "Morrowind Online" but instead want to reach out to themepark mmo players and offer a version of Elderscrolls specifically for their demographic.

They aren't saying "hey, there are all these Elderscrolls fans, let's make them an online game". They are saying "hey, there are all these mmo players, lets' bring them the Elderscrolls lore in a medium they are comfortable with.

It would make sense, would it not for the fact that so many MMO devs tried the same and failed, to some degree. WAR, STO, AoC, LotrO  and SW:TOR all took an existing IP and tried to turn it into some kind of themepark so that in the end it looked more like WoW than the IPs they were built on.

Maybe the "problem" is that they made some money, even though the games, except maybe LotrO, are largely considered failures. And this I suspect is all that they care about, profits with low risk. Because lets face it, ThemeParks works. Are they innovative, complex and interesting? Nope, but they sell some copies, enough apparently to put these games into the black.

Originally posted by lizardbones

Originally posted by SEANMCAD 'We're making an MMO, we're unapologetic about that. This is the Elder Scrolls MMO. It's not Skyrim, Skyrim already exists and you can go play Skyrim'   That was hysterical what a bunch of card carry class A morons. They really need to log into Darkfall for a weekend the stupid a$$es  
    yes im sure zenimaxs developers went "hmmm darkfall thats a roaring success that is, we should go copy that"   LOLITY FRIKIN LOL

Some people find the game boring. Waiting a couple weeks while your poor little avatar grinds away on trees or other inanimate stuff is pretty boring.

none of that matters. Anyone with a measureable IQ should be able to understand that when one developer says 'FPS is not possible in an MMO' that when another person refers Darkfall as a MMO with working FPS combat that the conversation is not about harvesting f8cking NODES!!!!!!!!!

really?

• DarkPonyDarkPony Member Posts: 5,566

Well, I think noone expected them to say sorry about developing a game. Rite, u gusy?

I just hope they took the community back lash to heart and will try to sneak in a few bags of sand during development.

If they end up just trying to cash in on their IP with a trashy generic dumbed down themepark I'll throw myself off the longest rage thread.

• PyrateLVPyrateLV Member CommonPosts: 1,096

More like "Hey. There are all these MMO players that buy ANY standard Themepark that comes out. If its a well known IP, cha-ching. With a Collectors Edition, CHA-CHING. Lets make an Elder Scrolls one."

Tried: EQ2 - AC - EU - HZ - TR - MxO - TTO - WURM - SL - VG:SoH - PotBS - PS - AoC - WAR - DDO - SWTOR
    Played: UO - EQ1 - AO - DAoC - NC - CoH/CoV - SWG - WoW - EVE - AA - LotRO - DFO - STO - FE - MO - RIFT
    Playing: Skyrim
    Following: The Repopulation
    I want a Virtual World, not just a Game.
    ITS TOO HARD! - Matt Firor (ZeniMax)

• mmaizemmaize Member Posts: 274
    Originally posted by PyrateLV

Yeah, this isn't news to me. The individual I know working for development on TES has been pretty unapologetic every time we've spoken about the project. I've posted more details regarding what I've heard from this person, and if you're interested you can find that post here:   http://www.mmorpg.com/discussion2.cfm/post/5024735#5024735

More like "Hey. There are all these MMO players that buy ANY standard Themepark that comes out. If its a well known IP, cha-ching. With a Collectors Edition, CHA-CHING. Lets make an Elder Scrolls one."

Ding! Ding! Ding! We have a winner!
    Originally posted by DarkPony

Well, I think noone expected them to say sorry about developing a game. Rite, u gusy?

I just hope they took the community back lash to heart and will try to sneak in a few bags of sand during development.

If they end up just trying to cash in on their IP with a trashy generic dumbed down themepark I'll throw myself off the longest rage thread.

The problem I am having is less that about what they are not doing development wise my issue is the attitude. If someone feels they can not make a game like Darkfall or that there are some limitations to Darkfall in a given context then fine, man up and say what they are. Dont pretend like the game doesnt exist and hasnt already done what they are saying cant be done.

They are class A f8ck ups

• RophezRophez Member Posts: 46
    The problem I am having is less that about what they are not doing development wise my issue is the attitude. If someone feels they can not make a game like Darkfall or that there are some limitations to Darkfall in a given context then fine, man up and say what they are. Dont pretend like the game doesnt exist and hasnt already done what they are saying cant be done.

Two things:

1 - No one has tried the combat in TESO yet.  It may actually be really fun and have some seriously revolutionary play.  Maybe not, but it might.

2 - Has Darkfall Online successfully had 200+ players in combat with no lag that interferes with their non-tab target combat?  I seriously don't know.  Do they have massive scale combat like that?

• sirphobossirphobos Member UncommonPosts: 620

At the rate the mmorpg.com hatred of new games is progressing, pretty soon people on this forum will be hating games before they are even announced.

• DeivosDeivos Member EpicPosts: 3,692
    Originally posted by Rophez

Two things:

1 - No one has tried the combat in TESO yet.  It may actually be really fun and have some seriously revolutionary play.  Maybe not, but it might.

2 - Has Darkfall Online successfully had 200+ players in combat with no lag that interferes with their non-tab target combat?  I seriously don't know.  Do they have massive scale combat like that?

Quick question.

1. What is TESO doing different that no one has tried?

2. Not sure about Darkfall, but I'd reference Planetside as being pretty successful on that front.

"The knowledge of the theory of logic has no tendency whatever to make men good reasoners." - Thomas B. Macaulay

"The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge." - Daniel J. Boorstin

• SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 31,892
    Originally posted by Yamota

It would make sense, would it not for the fact that so many MMO devs tried the same and failed, to some degree. WAR, STO, AoC, LotrO  and SW:TOR all took an existing IP and tried to turn it into some kind of themepark so that in the end it looked more like WoW than the IPs they were built on.

Maybe the "problem" is that they made some money, even though the games, except maybe LotrO, are largely considered failures. And this I suspect is all that they care about, profits with low risk. Because lets face it, ThemeParks works. Are they innovative, complex and interesting? Nope, but they sell some copies, enough apparently to put these games into the black.

Yeah but you also have to remember that part of the problem for each of those, sans LOTRO, is that they had issues at launch.

STO was buggy and admitedly flew in the face of what a Star Trek fan might want. But there is a difference between a Star Trek fan and an mmo player who likes Star Trek.

Warhammer had many bugs at launch and the open world pvp, which started off well enough, started to flounder when the competing system, the battlegrounds, offered quick pvp action and decent rewards. Additionly the pve experiene was horrendous. Stupid mobs and a linear map that not only funneled you into quest zones but funnelled you to the next linear map.

AoC? Many bugs and the 1-20 experience was drastically different than the rest of the game. Not only that but there were gaps in content that left players with the problem of what to do in certain level ranges.

The only problem with SWToR is that since it is a linear game there is not much to do but to start an alt and do it again. Problem is that the leveling experience, story aside, is exactly the same. Go through the game once and there are people to level with.

Second? Third times? Players have done it and suddenly areas are light in population. And I'll add that the pvp zone was apparently poorly realized with many bugs.

None of these issues have anything to do with the whole standard "wow" themepark issue. If anything, these games show that people have no problems with the WoW theme park model but do have problems when the games are not as polished or have as much content as WoW currently has.

LOTRO is a different bird. Remember, it started under a different developer and some of the content at launch is clearly attributed to that developer. Especially the areas north and east of Bree which are beautiful and open areas "just because". The rest of the game incorporates more planned areas and is a bit light on the exploration part.

Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 
  • DarkPonyDarkPony Member Posts: 5,566
    Originally posted by sirphobos

At the rate the mmorpg.com hatred of new games is progressing, pretty soon people on this forum will be hating games before they are even announced.

The mere idea of an unnanounced mmorpg staying clear of my rage JUST BECAUSE I AM NOT AWARE OF ITS EXISTENCE makes me MAD AS HELL.  I shall preemptively bash them right now;

If there will ever be a game called Herpmagurphia Derpland (or any other title) ... it will be a terrible game and probably the biggest fail since Operation Barbarossa and they WON'T get MY money as I am preemptively VOTING WITH MY WALNUT!

• ShadanwolfShadanwolf Member UncommonPosts: 2,392

In the US its still lawful to invest your money the way you see fit.Game companys can make games the way they want and be rewarded or punished depending what consumers determine.

GEESH

Do you call car companys because almost ever years modles look like the previous years ?

New toilet paper brands..there white and on rolls....shall we start to ruminate about  that too !

In the US we have free enterprise.Take a breath and lets see what kind of game they make...then vote.

• FredomSekerZFredomSekerZ Member Posts: 1,156

Can someone explain something to me?

Beyond the skill based, FPS view , art style and housing, what would a Skyrim mmorpg have that a generic mmo doesn't? Housing may still be added later, even before launch or after.If they try to stick a single player game into an mmo, they're going to backfire.

Reference-------------------------Bioware, SWTOR

• FearumFearum Member UncommonPosts: 1,175

I could care less about barbie dream house being in the game. I perfer 3rd person view for mmorpg's. Art stlye I hope is not anime kiddie wonderland. 

• DeivosDeivos Member EpicPosts: 3,692
    Originally posted by FredomSekerZ

Can someone explain something to me?

Beyond the skill based, FPS view , art style and housing, what would a Skyrim mmorpg have that a generic mmo doesn't? Housing may still be added later, even before launch or after.If they try to stick a single player game into an mmo, they're going to backfire.

Reference-------------------------Bioware, SWTOR

That wasn't really the problem with SWTOR if you don't recall what the people are (still) ranting about with that game.

Essentially the failure with thtat is people call it WoW in space and many of it's supporting features either went missing, weren't complete, or were broke in some way. Even as it's been getting cleaned up, it's core gameplay and extra features somewhat still damn it's novel aspects.

Things people hated about SWTOR are similar in a sense to things they hate about where tESO is headed.

Like for example player progression. KOTOR might have had overarching classes, but you could still progress in most any skill with a great degree of freedom and customization. Same with Elder Scrolls games, you coudl pick an overarching build, but it was not a locked in class concept and you could progress as you saw fit to make a personally tailored character.

It is very much about what they sacrificed of the game to make it more 'MMO' that people complain about. Things they see as not having been necessary sacrifices that fundamentally change how the game plays and feels.

Even in the case of first and third person. I played the elder scrolls games largely in first, but fact is that's not the driving concern for me as much as how the combat feels regardless of camera view. When my control over the movement of the character is taken away and replaced with predefined options, and my personal capacity replaced by tab targeting, then I am not playing the same kind of game and it feels dramatically different. It no longer plays like the games I enjoy or that it is modeled off of.

"The knowledge of the theory of logic has no tendency whatever to make men good reasoners." - Thomas B. Macaulay

"The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge." - Daniel J. Boorstin

Originally posted by Rophez

YES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• LawlmonsterLawlmonster Member UncommonPosts: 1,085

Yeah, but the SRPG fans have been saying since Morrowind, "man, wouldn't it be fucking awesome if this game had a multiplayer function!" Who gives a shit about the themepark audience? OH WAIT! Production and development companies do, because they know these mouth breathers spend money on every piece of garbage that gets shoved out the god damn door! So, sure, alienate the customers who've stuck with your product, who've been dreaming of an enhanced version of the single player games, so you can make a quick buck. Good work.

"This is life! We suffer and slave and expire. That's it!" -Bernard Black (Dylan Moran)

Yeah, but the SRPG fans have been saying since Morrowind, "man, wouldn't it be fucking awesome if this game had a multiplayer function!" Who gives a shit about the themepark audience? OH WAIT! Production and development companies do, because they know these mouth breathers spend money on every piece of garbage that gets shoved out the god damn door! So, sure, alienate the customers who've stuck with your product, who've been dreaming of an enhanced version of the single player games, so you can make a quick buck. Good work.

I know I can sound like an advertisement and I assure everyone I am not, its just my specific game experience so here goes again.

I recall with great detail logging into Darkfall for the first time and the very first thought was 'OMG this is what Morrowind Online could have been'

• LawlmonsterLawlmonster Member UncommonPosts: 1,085

I know I can sound like an advertisement and I assure everyone I am not, its just my specific game experience so here goes again.

I recall with great detail logging into Darkfall for the first time and the very first thought was 'OMG this is what Morrowind Online could have been'

I like Darkfall and played it for quite some time, but never found a community or guild that I fit very well within. It's a testament to FPS being a viable platform for MMO combat and interaction, so when I see comments made by a particular development team that it isn't possible, I just shake my head.

"This is life! We suffer and slave and expire. That's it!" -Bernard Black (Dylan Moran)