Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Even if the game was/is the best game of the year!

12345679»

Comments

• TwoThreeFourTwoThreeFour Member UncommonPosts: 2,155
    Originally posted by VowOfSilence
    Originally posted by joocheese

letsxhat, just because NCsoft owns the IP rights to Anet does mean they can dictate the development of games as they please. Just like korent1991 said, in most cases when two companies do business together there are many stipulations in the contract that will protect one company from the other. Citing IP rights does not prove your claim that NCsoft can direct game development, all it stipulates is that NCsoft owns the IP rights, that's all.

They own Anet, not just Guild Wars. Of course, we don't know any details, but it's fairly common that the publisher calls the shots.

Also, 2 of Anet's founders and some key figures are gone for some reason... One of the founders works on TERA now. Well, you get the idea. Thinking that Anet is still independent is just naive.

http://www.arena.net/press/ncsoft_acquires_arenanet

But why do people hate NCsoft again? (no sarcasm, i really forgot why)

The topic starter posted that "But I've been through the ringer at least 5 different times with NC Soft already.". Which I suspect means that he received majorly unsastifying costumer service during 5 different times.

It is unclear if he is boycotting NCsoft due to not wanting to get screwed again or due to not wanting to support them ever again regardless.

• TwoThreeFourTwoThreeFour Member UncommonPosts: 2,155
    Originally posted by TwoThreeFour

You can like Arenanet and/or NCsoft for allowing it to be cheaper for you, but that doesn't mean that you like the game because it is cheaper. I think it would be absurd to let the rating of  the quality of the game to be dependent on the price.

I agree, but if someone chooses to like a game because its more economical for them, I just can't fault them for that.

I would say it is missdirected thankfulness. It is not the game they like, it is the company decision they like. 

• joocheesejoocheese Member Posts: 845
    Originally posted by VowOfSilence

letsxhat, just because NCsoft owns the IP rights to Anet does mean they can dictate the development of games as they please. Just like korent1991 said, in most cases when two companies do business together there are many stipulations in the contract that will protect one company from the other. Citing IP rights does not prove your claim that NCsoft can direct game development, all it stipulates is that NCsoft owns the IP rights, that's all.

They own Anet, not just Guild Wars. Of course, we don't know any details, but it's fairly common that the publisher calls the shots.

Also, 2 of Anet's founders and some key figures are gone for some reason... One of the founders works on TERA now. Well, you get the idea. Thinking that Anet is still independent is just naive.

http://www.arena.net/press/ncsoft_acquires_arenanet

But why do people hate NCsoft again? (no sarcasm, i really forgot why)

The topic starter posted that "But I've been through the ringer at least 5 different times with NC Soft already.". Which I suspect means that he received majorly unsastifying costumer service during 5 different times.

It is unclear if he is boycotting NCsoft due to not wanting to get screwed again or due to not wanting to support them ever again regardless.

Though I disagree with him, as a customer he has the right to chose not to purchase an item for whatever reason. Just like I refuse to buy EA products anyone should be able to boycott NCsoft for any reason he feels legitimate.

• korent1991korent1991 Member UncommonPosts: 1,364
    Originally posted by Copenhagen

Wow! 19 pages of GW2 fans!  Awesome!

I really prefer not to go into any semantics on this.  Although, I could.  I was just simplying stating my opinion on why I will not be envolved in the game.    It appears that I've also gotten trolled because of my views and opinions.   But who cares.

You all like it, I stated that, if any one even read past "I don't Like NC Soft".  And, that is all that matters.   Actually, I've heard lots and lots of good stuff about it, on how good it is, or will be.   To be honest, I'd like to try it.  But I've been through the ringer at least 5 different times with NC Soft already.   That's why I will not.

Futhermore, Everyone seems to like guild wars because of this "Revelotionary" Business Model they have, you buy it, and play free for ever.   And, all the expansions are stand alone.   This That and the other.  I've heard a great deal of these explanations.

However, lets face it, you and your buddy are playing GW2, (Which you just bought for 60 USD), 3 months later, an Expansion comes out for 50 USD, and so on and so forth.   Unless your just broke and have no money, your going to buy everysingle one that comes out, just like when every other game drops and Expansion on the shelf.   What does this mean? $60USD + $50 USD 4 times=$260 USD.   Divide $260 USD by 12 = $21.66 a month to play.   Now, lets be optimistic and say they only put out 2 expansion packs in the first year.   $160 USD Divided by 12 = $13.33 a month to play.   But, we have still left out the best part of all.   The main part that "ALL" mmorpgs no have these days, "Cash Shops".   Wonder how much money your going to be spending there?  So $ 10 USD a month, thats another $100 USD to both equations.

My point is don't like GW2 because you think its cheaper than a Subscription Base game (Which runs around $14.99 USD a month)  Like it because you like it.    Don't be sold a Facade.

It will be a game just as good as anyone preceives it to be, but it will not be because, it's a cheaper business model.

You can troll me down all you want, but I'm entitled to my opinion just as much as you are yours.

First and foremost, liking or disliking something is purely subjective to the individual, meaning... someone/anyone can like anything for any reason and he cannot be told he's/she's wrong because it is purely relative.

B2P/F2P, for the most part, are/will always be cheaper than P2P. In the case of GW2 it will be cheaper than WOW. If you do the math for...

1 year with no expansions: GW2: $60 (game), WOW: $239.88 (game + subs)

2 years with 1 expansion: GW2 $120 (game + exp), WOW: $470.76 (game + exp + subs)

Even if GW2 came out with two expansions in the same year of release it would still be cheaper than one year of WOW ($180 vs $239.88).

If you look at Anet's historical trend, when it comes to expansions, it is not as you ridiculously claim to be every 3 months. With GW1 the first expansion came 1 year after release of Prophecies, the second expansion came six months after that and the third expansion came a year after that.

From April 28th 2005 to June 1st 2012, with today's prices, you would have spent approx $240 (game + 3 exps) for GW1.

From November 23rd 2004 to June 1st 2012, with today's prices, you would have spent approx $1,589.06 (game + 3 exps + subs for 7 yrs & 6 months) for WOW. Even if you got the game and all the expansions for free, you would have still payed $1,349.06 just for the monthly subs.

I think I've made a good case for arguing that liking GW2 because it will be cheaper than a subscription based game is indeed a legitimate argument.

You can like Arenanet and/or NCsoft for allowing it to be cheaper for you, but that doesn't mean that you like the game because it is cheaper. I think it would be absurd to let the rating of  the quality of the game to be dependent on the price.

It doesn't depend mostly on that, but it's a big factor in equasion.

"Happiness is not a destination. It is a method of life."
    -------------------------------

• RizelStarRizelStar Member UncommonPosts: 2,773

I agree, but if someone chooses to like a game because its more economical for them, I just can't fault them for that.

I would say it is missdirected thankfulness. It is not the game they like, it is the company decision they like. 

Yea that's pretty much what it is.

Example: It's a plus for me but the game itself is why I'm mainly playing it in the first place lol.

I might get banned for this. - Rizel Star.

I'm not afraid to tell trolls what they [need] to hear, even if that means for me to have an forced absence afterwards.

P2P LOGIC = If it's P2P it means longevity, overall better game, and THE BEST SUPPORT EVER!!!!!(Which has been rinsed and repeated about a thousand times)

Common Sense Logic = P2P logic is no better than F2P Logic.

• joocheesejoocheese Member Posts: 845
    Originally posted by RizelStar

Yea that's pretty much what it is.

Example: It's a plus for me but the game itself is why I'm mainly playing it in the first place lol.

same here, I loved GW and can't wait for GW2 to release (pre purchased on day one). The fact that its B2P makes even better :-)

This discussion has been closed.