Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Even if the game was/is the best game of the year!

Comments

• RCP_utRCP_ut Member Posts: 263

18 pages of this...

Better just ignore than keep feeding this threads..

• IrusIrus Member Posts: 774
    Originally posted by The_Korrigan

Their biggest problem for me is that until now, they only published crap MMORPGs / Asiatic grinders (stuff like L2) or games that don't fit my tastes (City of Heroes/Villains, I'm not a super hero fan except in movies). And yeah, I don't think GW1 was a MMO - even ANet agrees with that.

GW2 is the first "good" MMORPG that company publishes, in my opinion of course.

How comes this obvious troll thread (one post to stirr the pot, then never come back) survived that long on THESE forums??? Or has this become VNBoards 2 during the night? =P

While I never got into it, Lineage II was considered a pretty good game.

And, yeah, dont get how this thread alive.

• The_KorriganThe_Korrigan Member RarePosts: 3,455
    Originally posted by Irus

Grind wise, it's one of the worse games I've ever played (and I'm playing MMOs since UO beta). The grind was just so mindnumbingly awful that I ended quitting the game because I couldn't stand it anymore.

Respect, walk, what did you say?
    Respect, walk
    Are you talkin' to me? Are you talkin' to me?
    - PANTERA at HELLFEST 2023
    Yes, they are back !

• IrusIrus Member Posts: 774
    Originally posted by The_Korrigan
    Originally posted by Irus

Grind wise, it's one of the worse games I've ever played (and I'm playing MMOs since UO beta). The grind was just so mindnumbingly awful that I ended quitting the game because I couldn't stand it anymore.

Oh, it's certainly was. I never got past it, either, but "many people" did.

• korent1991korent1991 Member UncommonPosts: 1,364
    Originally posted by letsxhat
    Originally posted by korent1991
    Originally posted by joocheese

I don't know if NCsoft West can... Now can NCsoft shut down NCsoft West, which includes Anet? Sure they can it's their's

If you need proof that a company can shut down or sell off a division of their company, there is plenty examples of this throught the world. You can google it if you like.

So, you claim that NCsoft has the legal authority to shut down Anet, how do you know this? Have you seen their contract? How do you know what and how much exactly does NCsoft own of Anet?

I'm not looking for examples from other companies with different relationships with their subsidiaries (no company is the same). I'm just impressed how you can make claims left and right without any need to provide proof for your claims; yet you demand others to provide proof.

Again, if you don't know, that's ok, I won't hold it against you, I sure as hell don't know... which is why I'm not claiming what NCsoft/Anet (or any other company) can or cannot do. I'm just simply trying to find out how you know all of this.

I'm off to the movies, I'll be back on in a while, I look forward to reading all the factual evidence and proof you have to support your claims letsxhat.

Here's your proof. Have fun. Hurry back!

ArenaNet, Inc. All rights reserved. NCsoft, the interlocking NC logo, ArenaNet, Arena.net, Guild Wars, Guild Wars Factions, Factions, Guild Wars Nightfall, Nightfall, Guild Wars: Eye of the North, Guild Wars Eye of the North, Eye of the North, Guild Wars 2, and all associated logos and designs are trademarks or registered trademarks of NCsoft Corporation.

GW2 is NCsofts IP.

It's not that simple... When 2 companies merge there's legal contracts which both parties sign and agree to which protects 1 company from the other if 1 of them has "evil" intentions which could harm any of the 2 companies. I doubt ANet didn't protect themselves when they merged with NC west (NCsoft) with legal "cures".

ok man whatever floats your boat. 

I don't own a boat... ;) I wish I had one, it would be a nice boat... :P

"Happiness is not a destination. It is a method of life."
    -------------------------------

• RizelStarRizelStar Member UncommonPosts: 2,773

I don't know if NCsoft West can... Now can NCsoft shut down NCsoft West, which includes Anet? Sure they can it's their's

If you need proof that a company can shut down or sell off a division of their company, there is plenty examples of this throught the world. You can google it if you like.

So, you claim that NCsoft has the legal authority to shut down Anet, how do you know this? Have you seen their contract? How do you know what and how much exactly does NCsoft own of Anet?

I'm not looking for examples from other companies with different relationships with their subsidiaries (no company is the same). I'm just impressed how you can make claims left and right without any need to provide proof for your claims; yet you demand others to provide proof.

Again, if you don't know, that's ok, I won't hold it against you, I sure as hell don't know... which is why I'm not claiming what NCsoft/Anet (or any other company) can or cannot do. I'm just simply trying to find out how you know all of this.

I'm off to the movies, I'll be back on in a while, I look forward to reading all the factual evidence and proof you have to support your claims letsxhat.

ArenaNet, Inc. All rights reserved. NCsoft, the interlocking NC logo, ArenaNet, Arena.net, Guild Wars, Guild Wars Factions, Factions, Guild Wars Nightfall, Nightfall, Guild Wars: Eye of the North, Guild Wars Eye of the North, Eye of the North, Guild Wars 2, and all associated logos and designs are trademarks or registered trademarks of NCsoft Corporation.

GW2 is NCsofts IP.

It's not that simple... When 2 companies merge there's legal contracts which both parties sign and agree to which protects 1 company from the other if 1 of them has "evil" intentions which could harm any of the 2 companies. I doubt ANet didn't protect themselves when they merged with NC west (NCsoft) with legal "cures".

I want one as well, first I need swimming lessons though lol.

I might get banned for this. - Rizel Star.

I'm not afraid to tell trolls what they [need] to hear, even if that means for me to have an forced absence afterwards.

P2P LOGIC = If it's P2P it means longevity, overall better game, and THE BEST SUPPORT EVER!!!!!(Which has been rinsed and repeated about a thousand times)

Common Sense Logic = P2P logic is no better than F2P Logic.

• KhaerosKhaeros Member Posts: 452

I think the OP just got passive-aggressive'd off the thread in the first few pages.

• Lord.BachusLord.Bachus Member RarePosts: 9,686
    Originally posted by Meowhead

Originally posted by Copenhagen
    Which I find very hard to believe, while some might find it very fun, and enjoy it a great deal.  That don't mean the rest of us will. That said, I would not touch GW2 with a 5,000,000ft pole.  Or shove any more money into NC Soft's pockets.  I don't like them.  Yes, I know they did not make the game.  But they are making money from it.   Therefore, they can just count me out.

This is true.  Not everybody will enjoy GW2.  There's NO game that everybody will enjoy.  Games simply don't work that way.

This must suck when it comes to buying games, because honestly, there's so many reasons to dislike so many game companies, and NCSoft is hardly the worst offender for unlikable game company.  Activision and EA come to mind, just off hand, and if you don't play any games that either of them make money off of, that's a pretty huge chunk of games right there.

I still remember when SOE was the devil and Blizzard was a compny of angels.

Fact is no company can give some people the service they think is rightfully theirs because they pay a few dollars a month.

Best MMO experiences : EQ(PvE), DAoC(PvP), WoW(total package) LOTRO (worldfeel) GW2 (Artstyle and animations and worlddesign) SWTOR (Story immersion) TSW (story) ESO (character advancement)

• joocheesejoocheese Member Posts: 845
    Originally posted by RizelStar

GW2 is NCsofts IP.

letsxhat, just because NCsoft owns the IP rights to Anet does mean they can dictate the development of games as they please. Just like korent1991 said, in most cases when two companies do business together there are many stipulations in the contract that will protect one company from the other. Citing IP rights does not prove your claim that NCsoft can direct game development, all it stipulates is that NCsoft owns the IP rights, that's all.

Don't judge me lol... I went to see Snow white and the Huntsman. It was better than I thougt but not as good as I had hoped. The action was good, the fantasy aspect was great but the script and some of the acting was lacking. Just my two cents.

I would also like a boat, don't care much for a fishing boat, I would want one that could go very fast haha

• CopenhagenCopenhagen Member UncommonPosts: 57

Wow! 19 pages of GW2 fans!  Awesome!

I really prefer not to go into any semantics on this.  Although, I could.  I was just simplying stating my opinion on why I will not be envolved in the game.    It appears that I've also gotten trolled because of my views and opinions.   But who cares.

You all like it, I stated that, if any one even read past "I don't Like NC Soft".  And, that is all that matters.   Actually, I've heard lots and lots of good stuff about it, on how good it is, or will be.   To be honest, I'd like to try it.  But I've been through the ringer at least 5 different times with NC Soft already.   That's why I will not.

Futhermore, Everyone seems to like guild wars because of this "Revelotionary" Business Model they have, you buy it, and play free for ever.   And, all the expansions are stand alone.   This That and the other.  I've heard a great deal of these explanations.

However, lets face it, you and your buddy are playing GW2, (Which you just bought for 60 USD), 3 months later, an Expansion comes out for 50 USD, and so on and so forth.   Unless your just broke and have no money, your going to buy everysingle one that comes out, just like when every other game drops and Expansion on the shelf.   What does this mean? $60USD + $50 USD 4 times=$260 USD.   Divide $260 USD by 12 = $21.66 a month to play.   Now, lets be optimistic and say they only put out 2 expansion packs in the first year.   $160 USD Divided by 12 = $13.33 a month to play.   But, we have still left out the best part of all.   The main part that "ALL" mmorpgs no have these days, "Cash Shops".   Wonder how much money your going to be spending there?  So $ 10 USD a month, thats another $100 USD to both equations.

My point is don't like GW2 because you think its cheaper than a Subscription Base game (Which runs around $14.99 USD a month)  Like it because you like it.    Don't be sold a Facade.It will be a game just as good as anyone preceives it to be, but it will not be because, it's a cheaper business model.

[md edit]

Or, you can play F2P games, that are increasingly becoming more and more polished *cough* Raiderz *Cough*, that  you don't have to pay a single dime for period.  Yeah, they have cash shops, but even if you did spend money in the shop, you still have not had to drop $50-$60 USD on the initial box for the game.  You got it for free in the first place.

• letsxhatletsxhat Member Posts: 156

GW2 is NCsofts IP.

letsxhat, just because NCsoft owns the IP rights to Anet does mean they can dictate the development of games as they please. Just like korent1991 said, in most cases when two companies do business together there are many stipulations in the contract that will protect one company from the other. Citing IP rights does not prove your claim that NCsoft can direct game development, all it stipulates is that NCsoft owns the IP rights, that's all.

Don't judge me lol... I went to see Snow white and the Huntsman. It was better than I thougt but not as good as I had hoped. The action was good, the fantasy aspect was great but the script and some of the acting was lacking. Just my two cents.

I would also like a boat, don't care much for a fishing boat, I would want one that could go very fast haha

Sadly none of us have boats.... Damn you mmorpg!!! 

OT -  The producer hired some bad writers huh? ;)

Originally posted by Copenhagen Wow! 19 pages of GW2 fans!  Awesome!   I really prefer not to go into any semantics on this.  Although, I could.  I was just simplying stating my opinion on why I will not be envolved in the game.    It appears that I've also gotten trolled because of my views and opinions.   But who cares.   You all like it, I stated that, if any one even read past "I don't Like NC Soft".  And, that is all that matters.   Actually, I've heard lots and lots of good stuff about it, on how good it is, or will be.   To be honest, I'd like to try it.  But I've been through the ringer at least 5 different times with NC Soft already.   That's why I will not.   Futhermore, Everyone seems to like guild wars because of this "Revelotionary" Business Model they have, you buy it, and play free for ever.   And, all the expansions are stand alone.   This That and the other.  I've heard a great deal of these explanations. However, lets face it, you and your buddy are playing GW2, (Which you just bought for 60 USD), 3 months later, an Expansion comes out for 50 USD, and so on and so forth.   Unless your just broke and have no money, your going to buy everysingle one that comes out, just like when every other game drops and Expansion on the shelf.   What does this mean? $60USD + $50 USD 4 times=$260 USD.   Divide $260 USD by 12 = $21.66 a month to play.   Now, lets be optimistic and say they only put out 2 expansion packs in the first year.   $160 USD Divided by 12 = $13.33 a month to play.   But, we have still left out the best part of all.   The main part that "ALL" mmorpgs no have these days, "Cash Shops".   Wonder how much money your going to be spending there?  So $ 10 USD a month, thats another $100 USD to both equations.   My point is don't like GW2 because you think its cheaper than a Subscription Base game (Which runs around $14.99 USD a month)  Like it because you like it.    Don't be sold a Facade.It will be a game just as good as anyone preceives it to be, but it will not be because, it's a cheaper business model. You can troll me down all you want, but I'm entitled to my opinion just as much as you are yours.   Or, you can play F2P games, that are increasingly becoming more and more polished *cough* Raiderz *Cough*, that  you don't have to pay a single dime for period.  Yeah, they have cash shops, but even if you did spend money in the shop, you still have not had to drop $50-$60 USD on the initial box for the game.  You got it for free in the first place.    

Oh hey OP, I held it down while you were gone :)

I really prefer not to go into any semantics on this.  Although, I could.  I was just simplying stating my opinion on why I will not be envolved in the game.    It appears that I've also gotten trolled because of my views and opinions.   But who cares.

You all like it, I stated that, if any one even read past "I don't Like NC Soft".  And, that is all that matters.   Actually, I've heard lots and lots of good stuff about it, on how good it is, or will be.   To be honest, I'd like to try it.  But I've been through the ringer at least 5 different times with NC Soft already.   That's why I will not.

Futhermore, Everyone seems to like guild wars because of this "Revelotionary" Business Model they have, you buy it, and play free for ever.   And, all the expansions are stand alone.   This That and the other.  I've heard a great deal of these explanations.

However, lets face it, you and your buddy are playing GW2, (Which you just bought for 60 USD), 3 months later, an Expansion comes out for 50 USD, and so on and so forth.   Unless your just broke and have no money, your going to buy everysingle one that comes out, just like when every other game drops and Expansion on the shelf.   What does this mean? $60USD + $50 USD 4 times=$260 USD.   Divide $260 USD by 12 = $21.66 a month to play.   Now, lets be optimistic and say they only put out 2 expansion packs in the first year.   $160 USD Divided by 12 = $13.33 a month to play.   But, we have still left out the best part of all.   The main part that "ALL" mmorpgs no have these days, "Cash Shops".   Wonder how much money your going to be spending there?  So $ 10 USD a month, thats another $100 USD to both equations.

My point is don't like GW2 because you think its cheaper than a Subscription Base game (Which runs around $14.99 USD a month)  Like it because you like it.    Don't be sold a Facade.It will be a game just as good as anyone preceives it to be, but it will not be because, it's a cheaper business model.

You can troll me down all you want, but I'm entitled to my opinion just as much as you are yours.

Or, you can play F2P games, that are increasingly becoming more and more polished *cough* Raiderz *Cough*, that  you don't have to pay a single dime for period.  Yeah, they have cash shops, but even if you did spend money in the shop, you still have not had to drop $50-$60 USD on the initial box for the game.  You got it for free in the first place.

*Sneezes*

It's hard to tell the truth but easy to tell a lie.

I'm not afraid to tell trolls what they [need] to hear, even if that means for me to have an forced absence afterwards.

P2P LOGIC = If it's P2P it means longevity, overall better game, and THE BEST SUPPORT EVER!!!!!(Which has been rinsed and repeated about a thousand times)

• korent1991korent1991 Member UncommonPosts: 1,364

The problem with your case is... The expansions won't be 3 months apart because making new content which people would actually want to buy takes more than 3 months to create.

I see you haven't seen the ANets model in action with GW1 where it works perfectly fine and expansions were released in some normal and logical period. 1st "expansion" was released 1 year after, 2nd "expansion was released 6 months after the 1st, and the 3rd expansion (the 1st true expansion by definition) was released around 1 year after the 2nd "expansion"....

That's kinda what they're aiming with GW2 as well, tho I doubt they'll put out expansions so rapidly fast...

Tho I've seen the same exact reason posted on large amount of posts and I always say the same thing. Sub based mmos give you expansions and you still have to pay for them even tho you're already paying a monthly fee. Sure few games don't do that but those are rare. So now, you're saying a monthly sub + expansion pack prices & initial box (boxes) price is better than a vanity cash shop (which I probably wont ever use) + boxes? 

Followed by my exp with anet and their cash shop from GW1 I'm pretty confident that I wont use the cash shop as I haven't used it in GW1 as well...

"Happiness is not a destination. It is a method of life."
    -------------------------------

My point is don't like GW2 because you think its cheaper than a Subscription Base game (Which runs around $14.99 USD a month)  Like it because you like it.    Don't be sold a Facade.

It will be a game just as good as anyone preceives it to be, but it will not be because, it's a cheaper business model.

You can troll me down all you want, but I'm entitled to my opinion just as much as you are yours.

First and foremost, liking or disliking something is purely subjective to the individual, meaning... someone/anyone can like anything for any reason and he cannot be told he's/she's wrong because it is purely relative.

B2P/F2P, for the most part, are/will always be cheaper than P2P. In the case of GW2 it will be cheaper than WOW. If you do the math for...

1 year with no expansions: GW2: $60 (game), WOW: $239.88 (game + subs)

2 years with 1 expansion: GW2 $120 (game + exp), WOW: $470.76 (game + exp + subs)

Even if GW2 came out with two expansions in the same year of release it would still be cheaper than one year of WOW ($180 vs $239.88).

If you look at Anet's historical trend, when it comes to expansions, it is not as you ridiculously claim to be every 3 months. With GW1 the first expansion came 1 year after release of Prophecies, the second expansion came six months after that and the third expansion came a year after that.

From April 28th 2005 to June 1st 2012, with today's prices, you would have spent approx $240 (game + 3 exps) for GW1.

From November 23rd 2004 to June 1st 2012, with today's prices, you would have spent approx $1,589.06 (game + 3 exps + subs for 7 yrs & 6 months) for WOW. Even if you got the game and all the expansions for free, you would have still payed $1,349.06 just for the monthly subs.

I think I've made a good case for arguing that liking GW2 because it will be cheaper than a subscription based game is indeed a legitimate argument.

*Sneezes* I don't know why the OP's second post keep making me sneeze. Allergies man.

Any way we basing this on how ANET ran GW 1 or how NCSOFT ran the games they developed and not ANET?

OP talking about the model is nowhere near as fun as talking about where the money goes. Please make a new thread with a new statement as interesting as your first. ty!

*Sneezes* I don't know why the OP's second post keep making me sneeze. Allergies man.

Any way we basing this on how ANET ran GW 1 or how NCSOFT ran the games they developed and not ANET?

NCsoft does not develop games, they fund, advertise and publish them.

• SleepyfishSleepyfish Member Posts: 363

I think perhaps that the Twitter culture has hurt online forums. Some people have confuesed the differnece between an actual discussion or relevant opinion. With whatever whimsical thought comes into their mind. ( I hate NCsoft) is not an opinion, its a feeling. People are not trolling you, this Topic is a troll. There seems to be a lot of this going around. Start a troll thread, based on some generalized feeling or hate about the game. With no relevant reason behind it. Then when someone questions it, attack them for not staying on topic. How do you stay on topic in a troll thread? For this to work the GW2 player base would actually have to hate their own game.

I don't see the logic in this.

If this had been posted on the TOR forums that penguin would have modded it on the spot.

..also they own,  manage studios, and games.

• VowOfSilenceVowOfSilence Member UncommonPosts: 565

They own Anet, not just Guild Wars. Of course, we don't know any details, but it's fairly common that the publisher calls the shots.

Also, 2 of Anet's founders and some key figures are gone for some reason... One of the founders works on TERA now. Well, you get the idea. Thinking that Anet is still independent is just naive.

http://www.arena.net/press/ncsoft_acquires_arenanet

But why do people hate NCsoft again? (no sarcasm, i really forgot why)

Hype train -> Reality

• TwoThreeFourTwoThreeFour Member UncommonPosts: 2,155

My point is don't like GW2 because you think its cheaper than a Subscription Base game (Which runs around $14.99 USD a month)  Like it because you like it.    Don't be sold a Facade.

It will be a game just as good as anyone preceives it to be, but it will not be because, it's a cheaper business model.

First and foremost, liking or disliking something is purely subjective to the individual, meaning... someone/anyone can like anything for any reason and he cannot be told he's/she's wrong because it is purely relative.

B2P/F2P, for the most part, are/will always be cheaper than P2P. In the case of GW2 it will be cheaper than WOW. If you do the math for...

1 year with no expansions: GW2: $60 (game), WOW: $239.88 (game + subs)

2 years with 1 expansion: GW2 $120 (game + exp), WOW: $470.76 (game + exp + subs)

Even if GW2 came out with two expansions in the same year of release it would still be cheaper than one year of WOW ($180 vs $239.88).

If you look at Anet's historical trend, when it comes to expansions, it is not as you ridiculously claim to be every 3 months. With GW1 the first expansion came 1 year after release of Prophecies, the second expansion came six months after that and the third expansion came a year after that.

From April 28th 2005 to June 1st 2012, with today's prices, you would have spent approx $240 (game + 3 exps) for GW1.

From November 23rd 2004 to June 1st 2012, with today's prices, you would have spent approx $1,589.06 (game + 3 exps + subs for 7 yrs & 6 months) for WOW. Even if you got the game and all the expansions for free, you would have still payed $1,349.06 just for the monthly subs.

I think I've made a good case for arguing that liking GW2 because it will be cheaper than a subscription based game is indeed a legitimate argument.

You can like Arenanet and/or NCsoft for allowing it to be cheaper for you, but that doesn't mean that you like the game because it is cheaper. I think it would be absurd to let the rating of  the quality of the game to be dependent on the price.

Originally posted by VowOfSilence

They own Anet, not just Guild Wars. Of course, we don't know any details, but it's fairly common that the publisher calls the shots.

Also, 2 of Anet's founders and some key figures are gone for some reason... One of the founders works on TERA now. Well, you get the idea. Thinking that Anet is still independent is just naive.

http://www.arena.net/press/ncsoft_acquires_arenanet

But why do people hate NCsoft again? (no sarcasm, i really forgot why)

Because they sold AION on wings alone!

*grabs pitchfork*

and because they didnt do anything about bots and had bad customer service, and because it' s Korean game maker.  These are concerns for me, but not enought to take as strong a stance as OP.

Originally posted by TwoThreeFour

You can like Arenanet and/or NCsoft for allowing it to be cheaper for you, but that doesn't mean that you like the game because it is cheaper. I think it would be absurd to let the rating of  the quality of the game to be dependent on the price.

I agree, but if someone chooses to like a game because its more economical for them, I just can't fault them for that.

*Sneezes from the OP second post.* Allergies.

Ahh ok I thought they did Lineage or Aion.

This discussion has been closed.