Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Even if the game was/is the best game of the year!

Comments

• korent1991korent1991 Member UncommonPosts: 1,364
    Originally posted by letsxhat
    Originally posted by joocheese
    Originally posted by TwoThreeFour
    Originally posted by Aerowyn
    Originally posted by DarthSov

So let me get this straight. Your overall opinion on games is that regardless of the game devs actual perpenceity in execution and qualityof the said product, its all for nought if that publisher is deemed more or less evil!

You may have had a point if it were the case for instance that EA were involved but here you're exhibiting signs of severe silly.

This is not a TSW EA situation. NCsoft is the owner of Anet, and they producer of GW2. Many of us a hesitant when it comes to Korean companies.

and why does it really matter if it is? if TSW is a good game and people enjoy it who cares if it is funcom and EA?

Too few people care. Before buying a product, it ought to be the concern of every consumer to know who produced the product and what they are supporting if they decide to buy the product.

I agree with 234. Befor I buy any game, regardless of the type of game, I always check the publishing company (and to a certain point, the degree of freedom the dev company has in relation to the publishing company). Best example is EA, worst exmple, is NCsoft.

EA Games corporate policy and business model has severely effected the games their subsidiaries develop, to a point that many people now refuse to buy EA products (me for example).

Funcom pays EA for moving boxes. There is no relationship beyond that for these two companies. TSW is 100% Funcom's game.

The red is a crafty misinterprtaions of my words. If someone said I'm not playing TSW because of EA, it's not the same thing as saying I'm not playing GW2 because of NCsoft. 

EA has no rights to TSW. Funcom is independent. 

Ncsoft owns GW2. Anet is owned by Ncsoft.

"It's not a TSW EA situation" Some here in the GW2 forum like to believe it's the samething, but it's very different. 

+1 to Aerowyn for twisting my words.

And yet ANet is taking it's time with the game which can't be said for TSW Funcom/EA ... The game isn't even ready yet and they're already rushing it out... It has EA smell all over it (SWTOR comes to mind which had the same issue)...

ANet is more open about the game than any other game company so far... They're actually listening to players and beta testers and are reacting accordingly which can be seen best with cash shop items. I don't think that a company which has to do what parent company tells them to do would remove cash shop items in a sip just because players told them it sucks. I think they wouldn't even have such a great game now if they had to do what NCSoft tells them to do...

GW2 is more polished than any game I've tried in beta so far and they're still waiting to get to their level of perfection, so saying this game isn't worth buying just because NCSoft helps them get the boxes to the stores is ignorant and silly...

Whoever played GW1 and tried GW2 knows that this game is far better than many games which are already released or will be released in the near future. 

"Happiness is not a destination. It is a method of life."
    -------------------------------

• dontadowdontadow Member UncommonPosts: 1,005
    Originally posted by Distopia
    Originally posted by Irus
    Originally posted by Distopia

People constantly say there is no Bioware outside of name, as well as say the same for any company owned by a not so popular entity around here.

BioWare has proved that with what they did with SW:TOR (and possibly Dragon Age. Or Mass Effect. Or what have you).

The question is not who technically owns who. The question is who calls the shots.

Or maybe Bioware just dropped the ball all on thier own? It's them writting, developing and delivering these games. I mean is it Ncsofts fault that Tabula Rasa didn't turn out well? Is it their fault Auto Assault sunk?

In such a relationship there's always going to be a handler, always, especially when so much money is crossing hands. Still I do not blame publishers outright (even EA) when games don't deliver. TOR had all it needed to be a great MMO, big names, lots of fan support and more money than anyone has ever needed to make an MMO, they failed to utilize that in a productive way.

Nevermwinter Knights was a masterpiece, Baulders Gate was a master piece and KOTR was pretty good. Jade Empire was abitious, not great, but good.  The first dragon age was fairly innovative and finally brought back the rpg party to the console.  Mass Effect 1 great, Mass Effect 2 great. 

Their last few efforts have been lackluster. SWTOR is a good game, just lacks innovation and has some serious mechanical issues.  Dragon Age 2 was a lazy effort and hte story sucked compared to the original. Mass Effect 3 was a good game, but you can see the EA effect.  Instead of just having it as an rpg, they created modes so that people could pretty much avoid rpgs all together. And worst of all, they didn't finish the ending. 

The last three games all had things that weren't finished or wer hastely done, as opposed to the polish on the previous games.  EA is known for having strict deadlines.  Thus I feel its safe to conclude that EAs influence has hurt bioware since, and yes, now its a shell of a company, especially with the layoffs. 

YOu're living delusional if you think EA is the UPS to Funcom. Funcome is EA's way of releasing another MMO and hiding the connection so not to show a poor light of the showing of their Bioware MMO.  EA is shrewd, they are going ot make money regardless. You know they are the only ones to make money during the whole 38 studio Fiasco? 

Funcome and EA are both notorious for releasing games early.  But, its like that video, they know that there are enough lemmings that will buy the game finished or not if they throw a couple carrots in the whole.  

• seridanseridan Member UncommonPosts: 1,202

I have to clarify though: this is not a thread about whether or not GW2 will be a good game. This is a thread about a person who is not willing to support a certain company due to things they did in their past.

What exactly did NCsoft do in the past then? And I would certainly wait for the OP to answer this because it's his own personal opinion.

Block the trolls, don't answer them, so we can remove the garbage from these forums

• TwoThreeFourTwoThreeFour Member UncommonPosts: 2,155
    Originally posted by korent1991

So let me get this straight. Your overall opinion on games is that regardless of the game devs actual perpenceity in execution and qualityof the said product, its all for nought if that publisher is deemed more or less evil!

You may have had a point if it were the case for instance that EA were involved but here you're exhibiting signs of severe silly.

This is not a TSW EA situation. NCsoft is the owner of Anet, and they producer of GW2. Many of us a hesitant when it comes to Korean companies.

and why does it really matter if it is? if TSW is a good game and people enjoy it who cares if it is funcom and EA?

Too few people care. Before buying a product, it ought to be the concern of every consumer to know who produced the product and what they are supporting if they decide to buy the product.

I agree with 234. Befor I buy any game, regardless of the type of game, I always check the publishing company (and to a certain point, the degree of freedom the dev company has in relation to the publishing company). Best example is EA, worst exmple, is NCsoft.

EA Games corporate policy and business model has severely effected the games their subsidiaries develop, to a point that many people now refuse to buy EA products (me for example).

Funcom pays EA for moving boxes. There is no relationship beyond that for these two companies. TSW is 100% Funcom's game.

The red is a crafty misinterprtaions of my words. If someone said I'm not playing TSW because of EA, it's not the same thing as saying I'm not playing GW2 because of NCsoft. 

"It's not a TSW EA situation" Some here in the GW2 forum like to believe it's the samething, but it's very different. 

And yet ANet is taking it's time with the game which can't be said for TSW Funcom/EA ... The game isn't even ready yet and they're already rushing it out... It has EA smell all over it (SWTOR comes to mind which had the same issue)...

ANet is more open about the game than any other game company so far... They're actually listening to players and beta testers and are reacting accordingly which can be seen best with cash shop items. I don't think that a company which has to do what parent company tells them to do would remove cash shop items in a sip just because players told them it sucks. I think they wouldn't even have such a great game now if they had to do what NCSoft tells them to do...

GW2 is more polished than any game I've tried in beta so far and they're still waiting to get to their level of perfection, so saying this game isn't worth buying just because NCSoft helps them get the boxes to the stores is ignorant and silly...

Whoever played GW1 and tried GW2 knows that this game is far better than many games which are already released or will be released in the near future. 

The thread isn't about whether or not GW2 is/will be a good game. This is an entirely different topic which is about supporting and not supporting companies. 

Originally posted by seridan

I have to clarify though: this is not a thread about whether or not GW2 will be a good game. This is a thread about a person who is not willing to support a certain company due to things they did in their past.

What exactly did NCsoft do in the past then? And I would certainly wait for the OP to answer this because it's his own personal opinion.

That is a very good question and of relevance for the topic. 

• letsxhatletsxhat Member Posts: 156
    Originally posted by Leodious

Originally posted by Raekon

Originally posted by pacov

Originally posted by DarthSov So let me get this straight. Your overall opinion on games is that regardless of the game devs actual perpenceity in execution and qualityof the said product, its all for nought if that publisher is deemed more or less evil! You may have had a point if it were the case for instance that EA were involved but here you're exhibiting signs of severe silly.
    well it's not Funcom and EA. It's Funcom. GW2 is NCsoft is owned and funded by NCsoft a Korean game maker. Maybe you misunderstood me.   OP can say I hate NCsoft so I wont play GW2. The money goes straight to NCsoft.
    Can't compare a company that makes a bad game to a company that is funded by a company that made a bad game. NCsoft has no influence on Arenanets development of the game. Are any of their staff working with arenanet to incorporate ideas to the game? no.
    NCsoft owns Anet. Anet wont see a penny until NCsoft gives it to them. It's NCsofts game. 
    Yeah right... now tell me WHO funded the game for over 5 years so ANet can create it? I guess you know the answer already but since you are too busy to bash NCSoft along with the OP and his silly approach it won't matter. Seriously? It amazes me what lengths and what points people are coming up with to dislike or to put down this game. It doesn't make ANY sense to waste your time coming in a games forum and posting things like that. Most of all since it's not a concern that has to do with the game, it's the ops hate towards one of the oldest and best mmos developers/publishers around. I admit that AION was a game I passed but I have tested and played all the other games NCSoft produced or published and wasn't dissappointed by them at all(unlike other publishers or developers).
    Saying GW2 is owned by NCsoft is not bashing.... A lot of people here don't want to hear it, but it's not bashing. 

There are a lot of assumptions floating around in this thread about how companies and specifically parent and child company relationships work, and I think not a great deal of actual understanding of those relationships.

Regardless, unless someone has evidence of something I don't know, we do not know what level of influence, if any, NCSoft exerts on their western division, and on ArenaNet in particular.

From what I have seen, I believe NCSoft funds games with good pitches, and if they turn a profit, and the child group can keep itself solvent, they will continue to fund future development. If the game does not turn a significant enough profit, they will close the servers as quickly as they like. Look at Auto Assault and Tabula Rasa vs. Guild Wars. Guild Wars is still being developed with new content to this day, and from what I can tell, follows the same vision as when it was released. This is because it makes money.

In short, I don't think NCSoft exerts any editorial control, at all whatever, over the content or design of any of the games made by subsidiary groups, at any level, but if the game does not make a return, they shut the doors as fast as they can. And this seems to be an effective business model for them.

NCsoft made NCsoft West. NCsoft owns Anet. They can shut it down, or devert all funding, The could take the "A" off Arenanet and make it Renanet if they like. These are all silly things to say, but that's how much influence NCsofft has.

(...)

There are a lot of assumptions floating around in this thread about how companies and specifically parent and child company relationships work, and I think not a great deal of actual understanding of those relationships.

Regardless, unless someone has evidence of something I don't know, we do not know what level of influence, if any, NCSoft exerts on their western division, and on ArenaNet in particular.

From what I have seen, I believe NCSoft funds games with good pitches, and if they turn a profit, and the child group can keep itself solvent, they will continue to fund future development. If the game does not turn a significant enough profit, they will close the servers as quickly as they like. Look at Auto Assault and Tabula Rasa vs. Guild Wars. Guild Wars is still being developed with new content to this day, and from what I can tell, follows the same vision as when it was released. This is because it makes money.

In short, I don't think NCSoft exerts any editorial control, at all whatever, over the content or design of any of the games made by subsidiary groups, at any level, but if the game does not make a return, they shut the doors as fast as they can. And this seems to be an effective business model for them.

NCsoft made NCsoft West. NCsoft owns Anet. They can shut it down, or devert all funding, The could take the "A" off Arenanet and make it Renanet if they like. These are all silly things to say, but that's how much influence NCsofft has.

He was though talking about influence they currently exert, not influence they could possibly exert in the future if they wanted to. 

• joocheesejoocheese Member Posts: 845

I never once said GW2 was developed by NCsoft. Never once. GW2 was produced by NCsoft. It's a NCsoft title ffs. Is this so hard or so bad to understand? 

If NCsoft says "Anet you will stop developing of GW2." Guess what? Anet will stop developing GW2.  NCsoft is running the show. IT's their game not Anets... geez

Please feel free to point out where I'm wrong, instead of just saying "Your wrong and you lose."  You have a nice day too. I know you will not respond.

And you know this how?

Anet is a wholly owned subsidiary of NCsoft and answers directly to NC West, which is headquarted in Seattle Washington.

Yellow: Please provide evidence, details and/or proof to support this claim. Just because a parent company owns the rights, stocks and/or share holder responsibility does not necessarily mean they have development rights over their subsidiary. You failed to specify the development relationship between Anet and NCsoft and just merely assumed without proof.

Red: You demand others to provide proof when arguing against you yet you failed to provide any evidence/proof of the development relationship between Anet and NC West.

Please feel free to point out where I'm wrong, instead of just saying "your wrong and you lose." You have a nice day letsxhat. I hope you do respond.

(...)

He was though talking about influence they currently exert, not influence they could possibly exert in the future if they wanted to. 

Fair enough. There is no way to answer that. Only NCsoft and Anet know how much influence is exerted.

The thread isn't about whether or not GW2 is/will be a good game. This is an entirely different topic which is about supporting and not supporting companies. 

Those who like the game, because it's a good game, will support the developer (Anet) in order to see more of this. Those who don't like the game won't support the developer there is no other option.

Getting the publisher into the equation is pointless. Why hurt a game you love because you don't like what a publisher did in the long distant PAST? And whatever they did doesn't apply in Anet. They haven't done anything wrong in GW1 all these years and certainly I can't see them harming the game now.

They won't force an early release like what EA did on Bioware with Dragon Age 2, they won't force a particular type of gameplay on the game, like what EA did by allowing Mythic to add "raids" and "world pvp" in SWTOR, judging by past NCsoft games most had some form of open pvp, I doubt they have enough enfluence to have this in GW2

Block the trolls, don't answer them, so we can remove the garbage from these forums

letsxhat, I'm incredibly impressed by your indepth knowledge of the business/devleopment relationship between Anet and NC West.  Care to provide proof that NC West has the legal right to shut down Anet? Just because you own the publishing rights to a subsidiary does not mean you have the legal right to shut them down. I would also like to see proof to back up your claim of the true extent of NCsoft's influence over Anet.

Nothing against you letsxhat, just have issues with people who spout out stuff without providing any evidence or proof to support their claims.

NVM, you answered my main question in this post already :-)

• sajahsajah Member Posts: 35
    A difference between NCSOFT and other editors ?

If a.net was owned by EA or Activision, the game would have gotten out already 2 years ago, half finished, we would have known the release date 3 years ago and there would have been a enormous campain around it to attract people...
    With NCSOFT, the game is coming out when it's finished and between us, the economical model of GW2, the risk taking with the unusual gameplay and content for a MMO, a company like EA would never have said yes from the start.
    So there is a big diffence between the companies. Being a shark doesn't mean you have to be shooting yourself in the knee... a well finished game makes money, don't forget that.

Originally posted by seridan

Those who like the game, because it's a good game, will support the developer (Anet) in order to see more of this. Those who don't like the game won't support the developer there is no other option.

Getting the publisher into the equation is pointless. Why hurt a game you love because you don't like what a publisher did in the long distant PAST? And whatever they did doesn't apply in Anet. They haven't done anything wrong in GW1 all these years and certainly I can't see them harming the game now.

They won't force an early release like what EA did on Bioware with Dragon Age 2, they won't force a particular type of gameplay on the game, like what EA did by allowing Mythic to add "raids" and "world pvp" in SWTOR, judging by past NCsoft games most had some form of open pvp, I doubt they have enough enfluence to have this in GW2

That would depend on what exactly the publisher did, the type of relationship the publisher has with the dev company and more importantly, how much influence/power the publisher has over the dev company.

I never once said GW2 was developed by NCsoft. Never once. GW2 was produced by NCsoft. It's a NCsoft title ffs. Is this so hard or so bad to understand? 

If NCsoft says "Anet you will stop developing of GW2." Guess what? Anet will stop developing GW2.  NCsoft is running the show. IT's their game not Anets... geez

Please feel free to point out where I'm wrong, instead of just saying "Your wrong and you lose."  You have a nice day too. I know you will not respond.

And you know this how?

Anet is a wholly owned subsidiary of NCsoft and answers directly to NC West, which is headquarted in Seattle Washington.

Yellow: Please provide evidence, details and/or proof to support this claim. Just because a parent company owns the rights, stocks and/or share holder responsibility does not necessarily mean they have development rights over their subsidiary. You failed to specify the development relationship between Anet and NCsoft and just merely assumed without proof.

Red: You demand others to provide proof when arguing against you yet you failed to provide any evidence/proof of the development relationship between Anet and NC West.

Please feel free to point out where I'm wrong, instead of just saying "your wrong and you lose." You have a nice day letsxhat. I hope you do respond.

Yellow: The simple fact that NCsoft took 2 creators of Anet, and put the as lead in NCsoft West means they can remove them and place them where the hell ever they want. 

Red: I never argued over devlopment relationship. It is irrealavant to OP. For the sake of your argument I will respond to this. again. GW2 was devloped by Anet.

Originally posted by sajah
    A difference between NCSOFT and other editors ? If a.net was owned by EA or Activision, the game would have gotten out already 2 years ago, half finished, we would have known the release date 3 years ago and there would have been a enormous campain around it to attract people... With NCSOFT, the game is coming out when it's finished and between us, the economical model of GW2, the risk taking with the unusual gameplay and content for a MMO, a company like EA would never have said yes from the start. So there is a big diffence between the companies. Being a shark doesn't mean you have to be shooting yourself in the knee... a well finished game makes money, don't forget that.

Though I'm inclined to agree with you, there is no way to know exactly what EA or Activision would have done to/with Anet's GW2. My main hatred towards EA far predates what they did to SWTOR, it dates back to what they did to Maxis' Sim City franchise; pretty much the same thing George Lucas did to Indiana Jones and Star Wars... just sad, so sad :-(

That would depend on what exactly the publisher did, the type of relationship the publisher has with the dev company and more importantly, how much influence/power the publisher has over the dev company.

And of course we don't know anything of that, right? It's pointless to argue about something you don't know. What we DO know is that NCsoft is nothing compared to EA (I'm copying sajah's post because I agree 100%):

A difference between NCSOFT and other editors ? If a.net was owned by EA or Activision, the game would have gotten out already 2 years ago, half finished, we would have known the release date 3 years ago and there would have been a enormous campain around it to attract people... With NCSOFT, the game is coming out when it's finished and between us, the economical model of GW2, the risk taking with the unusual gameplay and content for a MMO, a company like EA would never have said yes from the start. So there is a big diffence between the companies. Being a shark doesn't mean you have to be shooting yourself in the knee... a well finished game makes money, don't forget that.

Read the OP again?

That's is what is assumed, but do you really know for sure? We need interviews from people of relevance to have an actual idea instead of just basing our opinions on conjecture and speculation. 

• FredomSekerZFredomSekerZ Member Posts: 1,156

GW2 is the best game of the year at generating weird, long and pointless threads :)

Read the OP again?

He is clearly making a distinction by saying "Even if the game was/is the best game of the year!", which is a way of formulating "no matter how good or bad the game is".

Originally posted by FredomSekerZ

GW2 is the best game of the year at generating weird, long and pointless threads :)

Because there are so many haters out there who don't know what they are talking about

And you know this how?

Yellow: The simple fact that NCsoft took 2 creators of Anet, and put the as lead in NCsoft West means they can remove them and place them where the hell ever they want. 

Red: I never argued over devlopment relationship. It is irrealavant to OP. For the sake of your argument I will respond to this. again. GW2 was devloped by Anet.

When NCsoft acquired Anet, two of Anet's lead developers were placed in corporate leadership positions, direclty responsible for NCsoft's direct relationship with Anet. NC west was later created and headquarted in Seattle, in order to directly cater to Anet. Sounds more like a concession than taking over and doing as they please. Fact of the matter is neither of us know the true nature of the relationship between NCsoft and Anet; difference is, you pretend you do, I don't.

You claimed that Ncsoft could, at will, shut down Anet and have them stop producting/developing GW2, yet you still have not provided any proof that this is even legally possible.

Blue: yes you did, look at your own post (hint: its highlighted in blue).

letsxhat, I'm incredibly impressed by your indepth knowledge of the business/devleopment relationship between Anet and NC West.  Care to provide proof that NC West has the legal right to shut down Anet? Just because you own the publishing rights to a subsidiary does not mean you have the legal right to shut them down. I would also like to see proof to back up your claim of the true extent of NCsoft's influence over Anet.

Nothing against you letsxhat, just have issues with people who spout out stuff without providing any evidence or proof to support their claims.

NVM, you answered my main question in this post already :-)

I don't know if NCsoft West can... Now can NCsoft shut down NCsoft West, which includes Anet? Sure they can it's their's

If you need proof that a company can shut down or sell off a division of their company, there is plenty examples of this throught the world. You can google it if you like.

I don't know if NCsoft West can... Now can NCsoft shut down NCsoft West, which includes Anet? Sure they can it's their's

If you need proof that a company can shut down or sell off a division of their company, there is plenty examples of this throught the world. You can google it if you like.

So, you claim that NCsoft has the legal authority to shut down Anet, how do you know this? Have you seen their contract? How do you know what and how much exactly does NCsoft own of Anet?

I'm not looking for examples from other companies with different relationships with their subsidiaries (no company is the same). I'm just impressed how you can make claims left and right without any need to provide proof for your claims; yet you demand others to provide proof.

Again, if you don't know, that's ok, I won't hold it against you, I sure as hell don't know... which is why I'm not claiming what NCsoft/Anet (or any other company) can or cannot do. I'm just simply trying to find out how you know all of this.

Read the OP again?

He is clearly making a distinction by saying "Even if the game was/is the best game of the year!", which is a way of formulating "no matter how good or bad the game is".

Yeah, and that's the title, not the OP...

Where he elaborates that no matter how good the game is, he won't touch it BECAUSE it's under NCSOFT wing....

My reply was just joining in with the discussion and stating my opinion about NCSoft and ANet relationship and how it would affect the game if they have to ask parent company for approval on everything... If you can't see the whole idea of post then don't reply to it.

This discussion has been closed.