Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Tab Targeting or Aim?

I'm confused on whether or not TSW will have tab targeting or aimed abilities. Someone mentioned that you cannot dodge and then someone else said you can... and there were different builds of the game? How does a tab targeter play with an aimer who dodges?

Comments

• ZierrityZierrity Member UncommonPosts: 242

TSW has "tab target based combat" and you do not have a dodge button like in Guild Wars 2 and TERA. I do find Secret World to be a great game, but the combat is not it's strongest feature, (IMO).

• DannyGloverDannyGlover Member Posts: 1,277

Originally posted by Zierrity
    TSW has "tab target based combat" and you do not have a dodge button like in Guild Wars 2 and TERA. I do find Secret World to be a great game, the combat is not it's strongest feature, (IMO). 

actually there are dodge abilities scattered around the ability wheel, you just have to unlock them.

I sit on a man's back, choking him and making him carry me, and yet assure myself and others that I am very sorry for him and wish to ease his lot by all possible means - except by getting off his back.

• jdnycjdnyc Member UncommonPosts: 1,643
    Originally posted by SalmonSalad

I'm confused on whether or not TSW will have tab targeting or aimed abilities. Someone mentioned that you cannot dodge and then someone else said you can... and there were different builds of the game? How does a tab targeter play with an aimer who dodges?

It is tab targeting like old school MMOs.  There are cone effects (shotgun) and PBAoE attacks that function similar to a aim system, but the majority of the attacks (specifically single target) is most definitely tab target.

There is also AoE ability placed mouse controlled attacks that is similar to many MMOs like WoW and GW2.

• BlackbrrdBlackbrrd Member Posts: 811
    Originally posted by DannyGlover

TSW has "tab target based combat" and you do not have a dodge button like in Guild Wars 2 and TERA. I do find Secret World to be a great game, the combat is not it's strongest feature, (IMO).

actually there are dodge abilities scattered around the ability wheel, you just have to unlock them.

They have also talked about active dodging like you have in GW2 (double tapping a movement key), but I don't know how it will fit in with the rest of the game since there is no stamina and you can use all abilities while moving. Will know on June 15th at least. :)

• ShakyMoShakyMo Member CommonPosts: 7,207
    You can set it up to auto Target nearest facing enemy, like Aoc. You still have to manually set your defensive Target though. (game uses a dual targeting system like warhammer)
  • syntax42syntax42 Member UncommonPosts: 1,378

The OP was probably referring to the action-fighting-game style of dodging, not the typical MMORPG passive dodging.
      If they do have that type of dodging in the game, it is probably for boss fights, where you would have to avoid a big AoE.

If I remember correctly, many cone abilities are aimed using the mouse instead of automatically firing at your targeted foe.  I could be wrong, though.

• YalexyYalexy Member UncommonPosts: 1,058

You don't need to actively target everything. You can simply activate your skills and you'll hit the target infront of you. It basically works like a shooter in that regard, especially when you're playing a melee-setup.

For casters and ranged setups you need to tab-target your enemies like usually done in the majority of MMOs, but it's not that bad of a system.

Dodging attacks is possible. There's some skills you can activate to actively dodge attacks, or you can move your character to dodge attacks. Moving around a target, getting out of range, getting out of sight etc all breaks the current attack of your enemy.

• ShakyMoShakyMo Member CommonPosts: 7,207
    Originally posted by syntax42

The OP was probably referring to the action-fighting-game style of dodging, not the typical MMORPG passive dodging.
      If they do have that type of dodging in the game, it is probably for boss fights, where you would have to avoid a big AoE.

If I remember correctly, many cone abilities are aimed using the mouse instead of automatically firing at your targeted foe.  I could be wrong, though.

no you have to avoid AOE and cones on normal outdoor mobs, nevermind dungeon bosses.  They have other fun mechanics for dungeon bosses, theres one where you have to all switch to rdps specs and use the provided cover because if he looks at you you're insta-gibbed.

• Nemesis7884Nemesis7884 Member UncommonPosts: 1,023

TSW has "tab target based combat" and you do not have a dodge button like in Guild Wars 2 and TERA. I do find Secret World to be a great game, but the combat is not it's strongest feature, (IMO).

dodging is being implemented for launch...and only about 50-70% of the abilities are tab targeting - it depends on the weapon, there are also aim (mostly cone and stuff) attacks... also the enemies have big dodgable attacks... but its not like teras combat

• letsxhatletsxhat Member Posts: 156
    Originally posted by SalmonSalad

It's both OP no other way to describe it.  Not just cone attacks but ranged and melee can be aimed. Aimed in the since of Tera with a recticle? No, more of a point and fire thing. 

Dodge, as many have said? yes double-tap dodge.

• KuppaKuppa Member UncommonPosts: 3,292
    Originally posted by Blackbrrd

They have also talked about active dodging like you have in GW2 (double tapping a movement key), but I don't know how it will fit in with the rest of the game since there is no stamina and you can use all abilities while moving. Will know on June 15th at least. :)

It seems like adding dodging this late in the game is a bit risky, we'll see how it goes. I kind of wonder why they did it also.

Originally posted by Kuppa

It seems like adding dodging this late in the game is a bit risky, we'll see how it goes. I kind of wonder why they did it also.

There is no question why. They did it because Gw2 has a dodge mechanic (really a roll but w/e). They plan to do it better.

• KuppaKuppa Member UncommonPosts: 3,292
    Originally posted by letsxhat

There is no question why. They did it because Gw2 has a dodge mechanic (really a roll but w/e). They plan to do it better.

Do you know how they plan to do it better?

Originally posted by letsxhat Originally posted by Kuppa Originally posted by Blackbrrd Originally posted by DannyGlover   Originally posted by Zierrity TSW has "tab target based combat" and you do not have a dodge button like in Guild Wars 2 and TERA. I do find Secret World to be a great game, the combat is not it's strongest feature, (IMO).    

Yeah I dont really see that either. A dodge is a dodge imo. Maybe they will look different but the results are typically the same. I like how it is implemented in both games. In TSW it is a choice you make if you want to sacrifice one of your 7 active abilities for added mobility. In GW2, it is the cornerstone of the fast paced style of combat.

I sit on a man's back, choking him and making him carry me, and yet assure myself and others that I am very sorry for him and wish to ease his lot by all possible means - except by getting off his back.

• jdnycjdnyc Member UncommonPosts: 1,643

n TSW it is a choice you make if you want to sacrifice one of your 7 active abilities for added mobility.

The question of ability isn't a sacrifice sense the movement is in addition to other effects.  Also, the rumor of the dodge mechanic doesn't have any connection to your active or passive ability slots I believe.  If indeed that rumor is true.

Originally posted by jdnyc
    Originally posted by DannyGlover   n TSW it is a choice you make if you want to sacrifice one of your 7 active abilities for added mobility.

The question of ability isn't a sacrifice sense the movement is in addition to other effects.  Also, the rumor of the dodge mechanic doesn't have any connection to your active or passive ability slots I believe.  If indeed that rumor is true.

Yeah I was talking about the dodge abilites in the various weapon trees. I havent heard back on the double tap stuff yet. SO Im not going to comment on that heh

Originally posted by Zierrity TSW has "tab target based combat" and you do not have a dodge button like in Guild Wars 2 and TERA. I do find Secret World to be a great game, the combat is not it's strongest feature, (IMO).    
    Yeah I dont really see that either. A dodge is a dodge imo. Maybe they will look different but the results are typically the same. I like how it is implemented in both games. In TSW it is a choice you make if you want to sacrifice one of your 7 active abilities for added mobility. In GW2, it is the cornerstone of the fast paced style of combat.

No No No danny it's not an ability. It is double tap in any direction. From what I've heard...

• SorrowSorrow Member Posts: 1,195

One of the things that really turns me off is how easy I slide off my target and on to a target not even in the fight when Im fighting. Died so many times to accidental adds its not even funny.

• FredomSekerZFredomSekerZ Member Posts: 1,156

No No No danny it's not an ability. It is double tap in any direction. From what I've heard...

Some people in the forums finished downloading a 4GB patch. Some say there's an option to disable double tap dodge, but it's under weapons. Don't know if it means it belongs to some ability or weapons, but since it is double tap, it shouldn't be. We'll find out later.

• GargolaGargola Member Posts: 356

FC also have active dodge system in AoC, so it's not so novel for them.

They don't need the active dodge to give any "dodge" numeric bonus, either, imo, to make it effective, even, cause all you need to do to brake an attack is to get out of the area of effect, range or LoS.

Movement is very important, specially in Pvp.  However, to make said dodge to ahve an actual evasion bonus and not making it a spammable nightmare they would have to put it in a cooldown, making it a situational "oh shit" kind of resource, and not something that keeps being used every second.