Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

A good word.

As with most MMOs SW:TOR appears to garner it's share of doom posts but personally I am still enjoying the game.  The story really adds a level of immersion I haven't seen in other MMOs.

What is strange, considering the WoW clone claims, is that I cannot make myself enjoy WoW no matter how many times I try. Go figure.

>

Comments

• ktanner3ktanner3 Member UncommonPosts: 4,063
    Originally posted by McBoo

As with most MMOs SW:TOR appears to garner it's share of doom posts but personally I am still enjoying the game.  The story really adds a level of immersion I haven't seen in other MMOs.

What is strange, considering the WoW clone claims, is that I cannot make myself enjoy WoW no matter how many times I try. Go figure.

FANBOY!!!!!!!!

Just kidding. ;) I agree. WOW just never appealed to me. I'm having far more fun in TOR than I ever did in WOW. There is just no way I can ever go back to  the days of boring text after what TOR offers. I hope the folks that don't like TOR can one day find a game that makes them happy, but for me this game is it.  

Currently Playing: World of Warcraft

• MetentsoMetentso Member UncommonPosts: 1,437

Of 3 people enjoying the game 2 made a thread to explain it.

• superniceguysuperniceguy Member UncommonPosts: 2,278

Cutscenes and VO can be gotten from many other games like Mass Effect, and you do not need to pay a monthly fee for it, plus they do not fit too well with MMOs. Cutscences and VO is great to YOU (probably most who play it), and is a single player experience, but is not necessarily great to others who play. A MMO is designed to be played by lots of people, not just yourself.

The cutsecenes gets more annoying when levelling other toons, as have already seen them and know it inside out but still have to wait for it load, and still hitting space bar is long winded. In other MMOs, it just a matter of clicking through the right responses.

I hated WOW until I played SWTOR, but after playing SWTOR, I realised how much more depth it is than SWTOR.

• DannyGloverDannyGlover Member Posts: 1,277

I'm glad you guys are still having fun and have an mmo to hang your hat on :)
    My wife and I enjoyed our time in TOR as well. Sadly, it didnt last as long as we'd hoped. But the time we did have was well spent and worth the money.

I sit on a man's back, choking him and making him carry me, and yet assure myself and others that I am very sorry for him and wish to ease his lot by all possible means - except by getting off his back.

Originally posted by DannyGlover

I'm glad you guys are still having fun and have an mmo to hang your hat on :)
    My wife and I enjoyed our time in TOR as well. Sadly, it didnt last as long as we'd hoped. But the time we did have was well spent and worth the money.

Yeah thats the thing though, hardly anybody hates SWTOR, and liked it wihile they did play it, as it is a blast for a short time, then just not worth subbing to any more. If it is a P2P MMO, which it is, then it should well designed, to keep people playing.

Those who quit WOW a few months after its release, probably hated WOW, as it kept most people playing than quitting, but that is not the case for SWTOR.

At least SWTORs design is saving people loads of money, and that is one good thing with SWTOR! The most value and cheapest P2P MMO to ever be created, as people do not want to play it long term!

• DannyGloverDannyGlover Member Posts: 1,277

Originally posted by superniceguy
    Originally posted by DannyGlover I'm glad you guys are still having fun and have an mmo to hang your hat on :) My wife and I enjoyed our time in TOR as well. Sadly, it didnt last as long as we'd hoped. But the time we did have was well spent and worth the money.
    Yeah thats the thing though, hardly anybody hates SWTOR, and liked it wihile they did play it, as it is a blast for a short time, then just not worth subbing to any more. If it is a P2P MMO, which it is, then it should well designed, to keep people playing.

Those who quit WOW a few months after its release, probably hated WOW, as it kept most people playing than quitting, but that is not the case for SWTOR.

At least SWTORs design is saving people loads of money, and that is one good thing with SWTOR! The most value and cheapest P2P MMO to ever be created, as people do not want to play it long term!

I think it appeals to a niche who will play it long term. It wasn't the numbers they were looking for. But it definitely appeals to enough people to keep the game going. If thats not good enough for EA, then they will mess with their remaining loyal customer base and that is usually never a good thing.

I sit on a man's back, choking him and making him carry me, and yet assure myself and others that I am very sorry for him and wish to ease his lot by all possible means - except by getting off his back.

• MMOSavantMMOSavant Member Posts: 170

I agree with Superniceguy, immersion I can get from Skyrim, Mass Effect etc... etc... without paying monthly for the privilage. I expect something more from an mmorpg.

With SWTOR I see 2 realities, the open world reality where all players are logged in and exploring, and there is the cutscene reality, like you are plugged into the Matrix.

The thing with the cutsences is that you yourself and maybe friends playing with you enjoys it all, but when you see others standing there with the speech bubble over their heads, you know they are zoned out in a cutscene.

On Tython when you click the door in the Jedi Temple, people are just standing there, in front of the door, in a vegetitive state. It reminds me of the ending of Blair Witch!

Some NPCs are sitting, you then click on them to start the cut scene, and they then stand up, once it is over they then go to sit down to resemble the open world. Whilst you are in the cut scene and the NPC stands, others running around, still see that NPC sitting down.

This is why it breaks the immersion for me, as it all does not feel real, and SWTOR is like Star Wars meets the Matrix

Originally posted by DannyGlover

Originally posted by superniceguy

Originally posted by DannyGlover I'm glad you guys are still having fun and have an mmo to hang your hat on :) My wife and I enjoyed our time in TOR as well. Sadly, it didnt last as long as we'd hoped. But the time we did have was well spent and worth the money.

I think it appeals to a niche who will play it long term. It wasn't the numbers they were looking for. But it definitely appeals to enough people to keep the game going. If thats not good enough for EA, then they will mess with their remaining loyal customer base and that is usually never a good thing.

I think the niche are only ones who play 30 mins a week or something, and still far from maxing out characters

• Demmi77Demmi77 Member UncommonPosts: 229

im glad you are enjoying. swtor is a great leveling game and it ends there unless you want to level up every class. The problem with this is, that after your first class, you will realize the side quests are all the same. 

When you get to 50 you'll realize that there is nothing to do. not an exaggeration , there isn't anything to do. The game leveling is based purely on solo play. So you may enjoy leveling up and the story is fascinating and what not but when it comes to end game and progression there is no community, no pvp, no rewards, no personal progression.

the game is the best leveling experience i've played in a long time but it stopped being enjoyable post 50. 

• HricaHrica Member UncommonPosts: 1,129

I wish they would shut down ToR and bring back SWG....

never thought I would say that..

• ShakyMoShakyMo Member CommonPosts: 7,207
    Originally posted by Demmi77

im glad you are enjoying. swtor is a great leveling game and it ends there unless you want to level up every class. The problem with this is, that after your first class, you will realize the side quests are all the same. 

When you get to 50 you'll realize that there is nothing to do. not an exaggeration , there isn't anything to do. The game leveling is based purely on solo play. So you may enjoy leveling up and the story is fascinating and what not but when it comes to end game and progression there is no community, no pvp, no rewards, no personal progression.

the game is the best leveling experience i've played in a long time but it stopped being enjoyable post 50. 

its not that great while leveling.  Its great at the start but it gets really really boring once you get to around level 25 or so and your constantly walking back and forth.  I quit at 33, only thing keeping me going was ilum at end game, my guildmates that hit 50 fast commented on how shite it was, so that was me out.

• QuenchsterQuenchster Member Posts: 450

For every minute of immersion the story in SWTOR given me it felt like +5 minutes were wasted in loading screens, flight paths, auto-walk, or a combination of the three.

• HaukenHauken Member UncommonPosts: 649
    Originally posted by Hrica

I wish they would shut down ToR and bring back SWG....

never thought I would say that..

This is sad but true. Even SWG-nge was better than SWTOR.

At least the story in SWG was MY story(And a damn good one). And not everyone elses. And my story always seemed to fit nicely with some other players story. Especialy the story of the enemy :)

Hauken Stormchaser
    I want pre-CU back
    Station.com : We got your game
    Yeah?, Well i want it back!!!