Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

TESO the game of Can't and Impossible

2»

Comments

• DrWookieDrWookie Member UncommonPosts: 263
    Originally posted by jtcgs

ive said it before and ill say it again. if they announced a Lord of the Rings TV show that was going to be a Sitcom, is it still really Lord of the Rings?

The answer is no.

If TESO is anything but an open class, free form non locked into story progression game with free form aim based combat with a massive spell learning and crafting systems....it is not TES...and if it isnt TES, dont call it TES.

By doing so they are telling me they are not capable of original thought and thus shouldnt be making a story based game in the first place.

Um...I just want to say...

I would totally watch a LOTR TV sitcom. A dwarf, an elf, a hobbit and a heir of Isildur all living under one roof because they can't afford rent. All young, looking for love, while also just getting into silly shenanigans. 

That sounds awesome.

• jtcgsjtcgs Member Posts: 1,777
    Originally posted by DrWookie
    Originally posted by jtcgs

ive said it before and ill say it again. if they announced a Lord of the Rings TV show that was going to be a Sitcom, is it still really Lord of the Rings?

The answer is no.

If TESO is anything but an open class, free form non locked into story progression game with free form aim based combat with a massive spell learning and crafting systems....it is not TES...and if it isnt TES, dont call it TES.

By doing so they are telling me they are not capable of original thought and thus shouldnt be making a story based game in the first place.

Um...I just want to say...

I would totally watch a LOTR TV sitcom. A dwarf, an elf, a hobbit and a heir of Isildur all living under one roof because they can't afford rent. All young, looking for love, while also just getting into silly shenanigans. 

That sounds awesome.

lol...

“I hope we shall crush...in its birth the aristocracy of our moneyed corporations, which dare already to challenge our government to a trial of strength and bid defiance to the laws of our country." ~Thomes Jefferson

• CaldrinCaldrin Member UncommonPosts: 4,505

BTW they already mentioned that Hero engine was only used as an Whiteboard, they have their own Engine developed just for TESO.

ah i see..

then i guess the limitations they have mentioned are ones they have made themselves..

anyway its far too early for all this ranting.. LOL

• MephsterMephster Member Posts: 1,188

The game will be compared to Skyrim and it will fail hard. We're better off getting Skyrim with 4 player coop!

Grim Dawn, the next great action rpg!

http://www.grimdawn.com/

• TrionicusTrionicus Member UncommonPosts: 498

Dawnguard incoming. I'll pass on TESO until someone starts talking about how awesome it is. Guess they don't care about having to directly compete with WOW & SWTOR, brave company, didn't 38 studios try that?

• ZeroxinZeroxin Member UncommonPosts: 2,515
    Originally posted by BigCountry

We want to play an Elder Scrolls MMO with Skyrim mechanics. ANYTHING less and this game will fail horribly. The producers need to grow some balls and get it done. Period.

If they roll out a WoW/GW2 clone with TES storyline, it wil be the laughing stock of 2013.

It's already a WoW/GW2 clones because that's exactly what they are saying. They are in the deep because, 1) No one has played the game yet and 2) No one has seen gameplay. If they show gameplay ( they really should have shown gameplay before talking about it) then there would be people actually giving them a chance because those people would actually like what they saw but right now, no one likes what they are hearing.

This is not a game.

• FearumFearum Member UncommonPosts: 1,175
    Originally posted by Zeroxin

We want to play an Elder Scrolls MMO with Skyrim mechanics. ANYTHING less and this game will fail horribly. The producers need to grow some balls and get it done. Period.

If they roll out a WoW/GW2 clone with TES storyline, it wil be the laughing stock of 2013.

It's already a WoW/GW2 clones because that's exactly what they are saying. They are in the deep because, 1) No one has played the game yet and 2) No one has seen gameplay. If they show gameplay ( they really should have shown gameplay before talking about it) then there would be people actually giving them a chance because those people would actually like what they saw but right now, no one likes what they are hearing.

Its also a clone of DAoC, you forgot that one since your naming clones. Also its having a player story line so you forgot SWtOR clone also. Don't sell your cloning short man. Almost forgot its a EQ clone for having PD's

• SlampigSlampig Member UncommonPosts: 2,342
    Originally posted by NaughtyP

I think they half-expected everyone to jump on board the hype train from day 1 and when there was some very vocal unhappy TES gamers after the big reveal they went into "lets lower expectations" and have stayed there since.

I jumped on that hype train on day one.

On day two I jumped back off...

That Guild Wars 2 login screen knocked up my wife. Must be the second coming!

• caremuchlesscaremuchless Member Posts: 603
    Originally posted by Trionicus

Guess they don't care about having to directly compete with WOW & SWTOR, brave company, didn't 38 studios try that?

Doesn't everyone try to compete with WoW? 

How well is SWTOR doing? 

And what do you know about 38 studios?

• caremuchlesscaremuchless Member Posts: 603
    Originally posted by Fearum

Its also a clone of DAoC, you forgot that one since your naming clones. Also its having a player story line so you forgot SWtOR clone also. Don't sell your cloning short man. Almost forgot its a EQ clone for having PD's

+1 image

• LucioonLucioon Member UncommonPosts: 819

The only cloning they should have focused on should have been Cloning TES

Life is a Maze, so make sure you bring your GPS incase you get lost in it.

• SEANMCADSEANMCAD Member EpicPosts: 16,775
    Originally posted by caremuchless
    Originally posted by Trionicus

Guess they don't care about having to directly compete with WOW & SWTOR, brave company, didn't 38 studios try that?

Doesn't everyone try to compete with WoW? 

How well is SWTOR doing? 

And what do you know about 38 studios?

I think the best way to compete with WoW is to not.

If a developer removes WoW from the forumla of any consideration at all they can then begin to be creative

Please do not respond to me, even if I ask you a question, its rhetorical.

Please do not respond to me

• Mike-McQueenMike-McQueen Member UncommonPosts: 267

Regardless of the bugs in darkfall, adventurine has proven a fpsmmo is feasible. Like the game or not, I particularly do not just based on the skill system alone, it's the proof in the pudding. If a small indie company can pull it off, a huge AAA company can make something incredible. Zenimax could've done it and captured a million + subscribers for 5+ years and instead will pull a SW:TOR, rake in the box sales then combine and open up mega servers a couple months in. FPS may not be for everyone, but it is for millions and with no one else competent doing it, they've really just missed out on the motherload. Kudos to whoever does it first.

I'm a unique and beautiful snowflake.

• RophezRophez Member Posts: 46

Well, you guys have covered how sad (delicious tears!) you are, so I won't dwell on that.  Instead I'll list why I am stoked for this game to come out:

• Clean, high-performance game engine built from the ground up for this title specifically = 100s of enemies on screen at once in pvp.
    • Hubless quest system - explore and level as you like
    • TES lore, world and factions
    • Deck building skill system = lots more variety in characters - more strategic combat
    • Stamina based combat - strategy again: do I block, sprint, use a special skill to interrupt, etc., or do I save stamina.
    • In game factions with interesting faction building techniques and rewards (thieves guild, mages guild, fighters guild, etc.)
    • Weapon skill-up through use.
    • Open dungeons.  I really hope there is an open dungeon in the PVP area.
    • 3 faction persistent pvp zone like DAOC had but MORE: capturable villages, towers, keeps, resources.
    • Destructable capture points with siege equipment.
    • There's more, but I'll end with this: A game studio managed by people who have a clue about MMO design.
  • IrusIrus Member Posts: 774

This is hilarious.

I think it's a testament to how... fed up the market is. And I love it.

• LeetheLeethe Member UncommonPosts: 893

The relationship that investors have with players is like a one night stand. Minimum outlay for maximum profit. They will make your game but don't expect to see the same face next to you when you wake up in the morning. MMOs are pitched to investors as a Digital Investment Vehicle. You put a certain amount of money in and expect a certain amount back, with harsh penalties if it doesn't hit the mark. Once the cash is made they won't care less about what happens to a players cherished IP. We're just pixels on their Excel spreadsheets. They'll get some poor slob of a studio to pick up the poisoned chalice by dangling a dumptruck full of cash infront of them or by hounding them with a takeover. They will work their little cotton sock off trying to make Camalot with silly putty. When things turn sour they may actually wake up (too late) to the fact that they have been thouroughly digested and have gone from being a studio to being an underperforming aquisition as well as being the human pincusion for the fans. This will happen just in time to watch the next best thing decompose like a hot turd on a humid summer day.

/rantoff

There is NO miracle patch.

95% of what you see in beta won't change by launch.

Hope is not a stategy.

• Sabic133Sabic133 Member UncommonPosts: 46
    Originally posted by Rophez

Well, you guys have covered how sad (delicious tears!) you are, so I won't dwell on that.  Instead I'll list why I am stoked for this game to come out:

• Clean, high-performance game engine built from the ground up for this title specifically = 100s of enemies on screen at once in pvp.
    • Deck building skill system = lots more variety in characters - more strategic combat
    • Stamina based combat - strategy again: do I block, sprint, use a special skill to interrupt, etc., or do I save stamina.
    • In game factions with interesting faction building techniques and rewards (thieves guild, mages guild, fighters guild, etc.)
    • 3 faction persistent pvp zone like DAOC had but MORE: capturable villages, towers, keeps, resources.
    • There's more, but I'll end with this: A game studio managed by people who have a clue about MMO design.

There is really no basis for saying they have a high-performance engine that can handle 100's of people at once.  They were quick to say they only used the hero engine for an outline, but with the other hero engine game on the market which has a hard time having 20 vs 20, I'd have to see this massive PvP to believe it.

The hubless quest design is a new set of paint on an increasingly overused turd.  You are still going in a direct path of "content".  Meaning you will go from one area to the next based on your current character's level.  The only difference is you wont gain all of your "kill 10 x" quests from a central town or hub.

Stamina based combat with tab targeting hot keys?  They might be able to make it interesting, but still nothing more than a gimmick.

As others have posted the faction alliances don't make any sense to the lore of the game.  They choose races which are closer together so that it is easier to design the narrow "quest paths" that you must follow (reference the hubless quest design) and also so that you can easily see who to kill when you are tab targeting in PvP.  Making race a requirement for a faction is lazy game design.

The RvRvR aspect is really the only saving grace at the moment, and even then what is the point at the end.  The winner of this gets a title of "emperor" which is bestowed based on who has the highest PvP score, so basically the guy who spends 24 hours a day in the game or exploits as much as possible instead of any kind of interesting political or faction rank system.  The title itself is just that, a title.  there are no new game mechanics after that other than having an epeen status of walking around with the title behind your name.

As much as you've made it sound so special, it still a generic lazy adaptation of an otherwise great game.  But it doesn't matter, people like yourself will buy it at midnight on release.  They make the cash back and then some for development, then a few months down the road it turns out to be SWTOR 2.0 and everyone quits.  Rinse and repeat for the next 10 years.

/whineoff

• FearumFearum Member UncommonPosts: 1,175
    Originally posted by Sabic133
    Originally posted by Rophez

There is really no basis for saying they have a high-performance engine that can handle 100's of people at once.  They were quick to say they only used the hero engine for an outline, but with the other hero engine game on the market which has a hard time having 20 vs 20, I'd have to see this massive PvP to believe it.

The hubless quest design is a new set of paint on an increasingly overused turd.  You are still going in a direct path of "content".  Meaning you will go from one area to the next based on your current character's level.  The only difference is you wont gain all of your "kill 10 x" quests from a central town or hub.

Stamina based combat with tab targeting hot keys?  They might be able to make it interesting, but still nothing more than a gimmick.

As others have posted the faction alliances don't make any sense to the lore of the game.  They choose races which are closer together so that it is easier to design the narrow "quest paths" that you must follow (reference the hubless quest design) and also so that you can easily see who to kill when you are tab targeting in PvP.  Making race a requirement for a faction is lazy game design.

The RvRvR aspect is really the only saving grace at the moment, and even then what is the point at the end.  The winner of this gets a title of "emperor" which is bestowed based on who has the highest PvP score, so basically the guy who spends 24 hours a day in the game or exploits as much as possible instead of any kind of interesting political or faction rank system.  The title itself is just that, a title.  there are no new game mechanics after that other than having an epeen status of walking around with the title behind your name.

As much as you've made it sound so special, it still a generic lazy adaptation of an otherwise great game.  But it doesn't matter, people like yourself will buy it at midnight on release.  They make the cash back and then some for development, then a few months down the road it turns out to be SWTOR 2.0 and everyone quits.  Rinse and repeat for the next 10 years.

/whineoff

I agree with Rophez, the game from what we all know sounds pretty good. Until we see it in action though its kinda hard to cry in a pillow as much as some of you are. Its actually funny keep up the posts, gives me something to laugh at for a few mintues. 

You obviously didnt play DAoC when they had the great keep raids, wars and sieges that lasted all night. Sorry you missed it.

Sounds like you really hate MMORPG games.

There are games that are in the FPS genre that you can get your pew pew instant gratification from but keep that shit out of MMORPG games please.

I agree with Rophez, the game from what we all know sounds pretty good. Until we see it in action though its kinda hard to cry in a pillow as much as some of you are. Its actually funny keep up the posts, gives me something to laugh at for a few mintues. 

You obviously didnt play DAoC when they had the great keep raids, wars and sieges that lasted all night. Sorry you missed it.

Sounds like you really hate MMORPG games.

There are games that are in the FPS genre that you can get your pew pew instant gratification from but keep that shit out of MMORPG games please.

actually not completely true.

If they say 'the game will be in third person combat' you can be pretty confident that the game will be 3rd person combat and if you have driven that style of game and you know you dont like it then its not hard to extroplate is it?

If someone said 'we to a folk art farmers market' and you have been and you know you dont like folk art farmers market why would you waste you morning with THAT option even though you havent been to this specific farmers market as far as you know its could turn out to be a s8x orgy but chances are you will not spend your morning on this market.

In short, a game will have to be totally outstanding and I will inspect the claims closely if the game is in 3rd person because i hate that perspective.

• UhwopUhwop Member UncommonPosts: 1,791

Or you could just stay tuned to their website until they release something that you can complain about. Right now its all just talk and marketing so not sure how anyone can get their panties so far up in...

You know all of you are going to be buying and playing it anyway, you all wasted so much time talking about it its obvious your all obsessed with it.

This is all we got so far

http://www.gameinformer.com/p/elderscrollsonline.aspx 

The backbone of every ES game has been sandbox gameplay.  ESO is NOT emracing what made the ES game massive hits.  Skyrim didn't increase PC game sales in a single month, along with the help of CoD, by 50% because everyone wanted to learn all about the lore.  It sold huge numbers because of the gameplay, just like every other ES game before it.

I do not want your opinion what a sandbox is or is not, nor do want anyone elses. 

ESO is being made the same way as any other "tradition" mmo, the devs have stated this themselves.  "Traditional" MMO's do not play in any way, shape, or form like a sandbox MMO. 

You do not need gameplay trailers, you do need media hands on experience, you do not need a beta weekend to know that ESO is NOT going to play like any ES game ever made.  The devs have been very clear that ES is NOT going to play like any ES game ever made.

Why don't you undrestand this?  THIS is why people are upset with what they're hearing about the game.  If you can not comprehend this, then just ignore what people are saying.  You don't get it, you never will.  Chearleading for the game is NOT going to convice the vast magority of ES fans that they don't have anything to complain about, we know we do.  We can comprehend what we read in articles, we can understand what is being said in interviews, we get it.  YOU do not.

You're excited for the game, good for you.  Quit tellig people that they have nothing to complain about because you're wrong, wrong, wrong.

Just because you have set your standards and expectations low enough to be happy with every mediocre mmo release does not mean that those of us that have been playing these games for oh so many years, and the ES series in paricular for over a decade now, should be happy with getting just another run-of-the-mill mmo, with the ES name on it.

We have a right to be upset, we have a right to be dissapointed, we have a right to express our dispaointment and frustration at both being fed yet another generic MMO and especially one with the ES name attacked to it.  After many, many years of playing the ES games, we the fans, have come to expect a very specific style of game that has the ES name attached to it.

Some of us have waited a VERY long time for them to make an MMO out of the ES series, and we're disapointed that they're not being true to the brand. 

• TheutusTheutus Member UncommonPosts: 636

Why does everyone keep saying it needs to be like Skyrim?

Skyrim IMO was the worst, gameplay wise, of the series... it was waaaay too "streamlined" for my taste.

I probably won't play another TES game because of Skyrim..

• ConsequenceConsequence Member UncommonPosts: 358
    Originally posted by Theutus

Skyrim IMO was the worst, gameplay wise, of the series... it was waaaay too "streamlined" for my taste.

Sigh... even if you dislike Skyrim you have to recogzine you are somewhat alone in your thinking.

Most people loved it. Almost everyone loved some aspect of it.

The fact is Skyrim is 1 of the best selling games of all time, especially in terms of pc sales, which is what we are talking about here. Furthermore, it is 1 of the most highly rated games of all time by the critics. So please, get back in your trashcan mr grouch and stop thinking the world revolves around your stink. Luckliy for the world, the sucess of Skyrim did not depend on your VERY minority opinion.

Now, as to the topic of the thread. There are several good points. The things people love about Skyrim are the exact same things the developers are now saying they cant put into the mmo version.

Skyrim is essentially a sandbox and you make of your toon what you want. It appeals to peoples imagination in that way. Telling people "we cant let you do that anymore" is not what the huge fanbase of 1 of the most popluar games of all time wants to hear.

Originally posted by Consequence
    Originally posted by Theutus

Sigh... even if you dislike Skyrim you have to recogzine you are somewhat alone in your thinking.

Most people loved it. Almost everyone loved some aspect of it.

The fact is Skyrim is 1 of the best selling games of all time, especially in terms of pc sales, which is what we are talking about here. Furthermore, it is 1 of the most highly rated games of all time by the critics. So please, get back in your trashcan mr grouch and stop thinking the world revolves around your stink. Luckliy for the world, the sucess of Skyrim did not depend on your VERY minority opinion.

Now, as to the topic of the thread. There are several good points. The things people love about Skyrim are the exact same things the developers are now saying they cant put into the mmo version.

Skyrim is essentially a sandbox and you make of your toon what you want. It appeals to peoples imagination in that way. Telling people "we cant let you do that anymore" is not what the huge fanbase of 1 of the most popluar games of all time wants to hear.

1. Your right, actually in my mind Skyrim is better than Morrowind which used to be my favorite in the series. Oblivion always looked a little cartoonish for my tastes.

2. I dont think anyone who says 'like skyrim' means exactly with every feature without execption. Most of us are realistic. I know you didnt suggest that I am just stating for the record.

3. I should also point out that ALL (without execption) the items they have said is not possible, not reasonably possible, or that we dont want actually exist in MMO out right now. They dont even know the market they are in.

• ZigZagsZigZags Member UncommonPosts: 381
    Originally posted by NaughtyP

I think they half-expected everyone to jump on board the hype train from day 1 and when there was some very vocal unhappy TES gamers after the big reveal they went into "lets lower expectations" and have stayed there since.

^ this

Dragnon - Guildmaster - Albion Central Bank in Albion Online

www.albioncentralbank.enjin.com

• MephsterMephster Member Posts: 1,188

You can't just rearrange the magic formula of Elder Scrolls and paste it into traditional mmo form. Though when Firor gets canned along with 3/4ths of his staff because their game failed on so many levels do not come back to us and say we didn't tell you. Get your popcorn ready!

Grim Dawn, the next great action rpg!

http://www.grimdawn.com/