Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Aion: The Aion 3.0 Review

13»

Comments

• omidusomidus Member UncommonPosts: 99

Aion review, why is this game still relevant? Aion came out of the box with cryengine at its backend pushing fantastic visual fidelity. But that is all aion was, a visual candy cance. The game play is prtty much all copy and paste.

Aion's graphics is still top of the line compared to  TERA or SWTOR. The only aging mmo out there is WoW. I don't like Aion personally, the game play is stale and nothing new. what I did like about it was the graphics. It is still good, compare to amount of computers that can run wow vs Aion; there's a huge  gap between the 2 games.

Games should drive hardware and vice versa, people have been complaining about wow's graphics for years. Blizzard aren't going to change because they don't have to. They know people will keep playing. Aion? well... to be frank is a flash in the pan. They're doing so bad in western and Euro market they had to go free to play to attract customers; that alone should be an indicator of how close minded the korean NCsoft developers are with their games.

• J1NXY0J1NXY0 Member Posts: 3

The best F2P game around I would say. I cannot believe the graphics got so slagged.. With graphics up at highest it is gorgeous. It seems to have a near score to WoW graphics. Are you joking me? WoW graphics make me want to vomit. This game is stunning - the character creation is the best I've seen even for how "dated" the review says it is. "drab" seems to be the reviews favourite word to describe Aion but, behind GW2, this is the best looking game I've seen. You cannot forget the armor design. Oh my gosh, best I have seen yet. Aion did a really good job on beautiful armour sets, and there's quite a lot of choice so you don't all look the same at cap level.

The grind is a big, big issue. But it is expected. You're not going to get the best stuff with little time and no effort, otherwise there would be no challenge and the game would be boring and no point playing if you had all the best gear within a few weeks. But this was why I stopped playing on first release, I was paying NCSoft so I could mindlessly grind and kill the same 100 monsters. Wasn't great. It needed to go F2P and I'm so shocked and grateful that it did.

But my biggest gripe with this review, and I am surprised no one else has mentioned it: 9/10 for social. Are you kidding me!? 95% of the people I play with are either brain dead or arrogant arses. Sure, there's a few nice people I've met, but when they're not online it can take me up to an hour to form a group for an instance. I enter the intance and it is clear, the majority of the team don't know what they are doing. Okay, that's fine on the first few instances, I had to learn too when I was low level. But now I'm playing with level 30-45 people and they are unbelievebly useless. Countless Sorceres who don't know how to sleep a marked target, Templars who can't tank, Rangers who pull half the room and wonder why the Cleric didn't keep him alive. Veterans are impatient and shout at you if you don't open a door quick enough with the key, and I'm starting to turn this way with all the braindead, leechers I get ALL THE TIME. I play Assassin and group up with my boyfriend's Cleric, and we end up carrying the team through the instance. I don't know how or why; are 5 year olds playing this? Foreign people on English servers who don't understand me? 

Also, beware the idiots who roll on loot that they don't need and you really do need. I've had it countless times. It makes it worse too when they tell you they don't have Gold Pack so they cannot trade you the loot that was meant for you.

So there is my warning. Soloing can get dull, grouping up is far more fun. But beware the braindead on this game. I hope you have more patients with humanity than I do to play this game, because there has been many a time I have rage quit a team, flamed them until they've left because they cannot do their job and been overall put off from grouping up with random people. 

• J1NXY0J1NXY0 Member Posts: 3

• oupslililolooupslililolo Member Posts: 23

The best F2P mmo out there

• TiddymunTiddymun Member Posts: 1

An astonishingly good F2P game. Disagree with the graphics rating... as has been said, ground textures are pretty crap but the rest are OK to superb. Gear modelling is phenomenal. Grind is a royal pain but this is a criticism that can be levelled at all MMOs.

An incredible quantity of things to do, routes to take, and lore/environment to explore. Lots of things to achieve and be rewarded for. Incredible value for money, even if you were paying... which you're not. Awesome!

Some more cons...

RNG/Proc is everywhere... slotting manastones/enchantments and crossing crafting tier boundaries are insanely frustrating and costly for what is supposed to be a FUN way to spend your time. No entertainment product should make you want to put the cat through the monitor and verbally abuse your grandmother in Turkish. Aion does this in spades. And then some.

Ganking. Tons of this in both riftzones and the Abyss. If you like it, great. If you don't, seriously not great. Lots of campaign level PvE quests require completion in gankable PvP zones, so avoidance comes with consequences.

PvP-statted gear. Great if you have it... utterly crap if you don't. Expect to be 2-shotted continually. As a PvP-fan, I really wish this game had NO PvP stats on gear. I don't want to 2-shot opponents nor do I want 2-shotting, either. Make PvP gear purely cosmetic and the PvP in Aion would become challenging and fun immediately. This is the root of the must-zerg problem.

If the ambient temperature suits your wiggling toes... then you'll revel in the months/years you can spend playing.

• GamerIncognitoGamerIncognito Member UncommonPosts: 20

I thought Aion was good, great really, from the crafting to the questing. The graphics were fine imo, but I played at high settings. 

What finally made me stop playing was the constant gankings from level 60's. Sad to know that there are people out there that find pleasure in 2 hitting a level 25 player simply because they can. if it weren't for the open world pvp, i would probably still be playing Aion. I like pvP just fine; just not while I am working on my quests.

"Just because you can, that does not mean you should"