Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Strange Things that have become Commonplace in MMOs

LoktofeitLoktofeit Member RarePosts: 14,247

Lizard people wear feather headdresses.

Shopkeepers will buy ANYTHING.

Monsters are easily offended and will attack the hero that is 'taunting' them rather than the one that is actually killing them.

Everything is weightless.

Everything fits in your character's bag.

Even though everything fits in your bag, they can only be kept in small, even-numbered stacks.

Every creature can be killed except mounts which are magical, immortal creatures... that are weightless and fit in your bag.

Mana powers bows and arrows are infinite.

You cannot sit anything on the ground except yourself.

Monsters have a favorite spot. If they get too far from it, they panic and run back.

The main city for each race is the most wasteful and poorly-designed city of the realm but everyone goes there because it's the only place in the realm that certain shops exist.

The most vile and heinous threat to the realm will often be idling in a field, bothering no one.

The scholars of the land have figured out how to use plants to make explosives, restoratives and magical enchantments but are completely lost on how to actually grow them.

There isn't a "right" or "wrong" way to play, if you want to use a screwdriver to put nails into wood, have at it, simply don't complain when the guy next to you with the hammer is doing it much better and easier. - Allein
"Graphics are often supplied by Engines that (some) MMORPG's are built in" - Spuffyre

Comments

• VeldekarVeldekar Member Posts: 220

I can craft a full set of armor and weapons with a handful of scrap metal and gems...

• TheLizardbonesTheLizardbones Member CommonPosts: 10,910

Many of the races have learned how to space travel, create wormholes with the power of their mind or throw fireballs, but they lack the ability to jump.

I can not remember winning or losing a single debate on the internet.

• RobsolfRobsolf Member RarePosts: 4,607

Don't forget that any shopkeeper can also repair anything, even that beaten down old man that sells bread and cheese on the corner.

A simple horse can only run 40 to 60% faster than a person can jog.

As mighty a feat as it is to be able to pull a horse out of your backpack, you can't seem to do it while you're moving.

Even when facing imminent death from creatures, a person can only run away at the same speed as when they casually wander around town.

• EkarosEkaros Member UncommonPosts: 367

Many things just require experience to wear and/or some sort of chosen profession, they don't depend on your physical shape or skills.

• dllddlld Member UncommonPosts: 615

Heroes becoming so powerfull a mere tickle would turn a previously deadly monster into bloodgushing fountain of gore.

• AdamTMAdamTM Member Posts: 1,376

Being armed with magical powers like fireballs and ice-storms a boar still decides it can take you on...and often succeeds.

• rounnerrounner Member UncommonPosts: 725

Bikini armour is as good as full plate

• ScotScot Member LegendaryPosts: 22,955
    Races speak in strange accents like Rastafarian Troll, or Geordie Empire. – It’s like a diversity policy gone mad.

If you are a bad guy you wear black or red, more fashion conscious evil doers wear black and red. – If in doubt look for a title like Darth, Uber Evilest One, that sort of thing.

Some woman adventurers traverse the deepest darkest caverns, the filthiest swamps and bone strewn tunnels in their finest dresses and high heels. - Yet I never see them in my laundrette.

After you forgot to take of your backpack and plate armour having gone for a swim, your outfit does not shrink or rust and dries in seconds. - Our armour is the medieval equivalent of a life jacket.

The horse express in the days of Camelot could traverse merry old Albion in about 14 minutes. - I know guys, a whole 14 minutes to cross the world on transport, how strange is that???!!!

Sometimes when I want to say something on my missions, what comes out has a meaning unlike anything I intended. My companion can get really pissed of when that happens! – Next time I am not buying my universal translator from a Jawa.
  • MadatanMadatan Member UncommonPosts: 182

You always save the world but the same threat remains.

• timtracktimtrack Member UncommonPosts: 541
    • Not all rats have livers, or ears, or hearts, or tails.
    • Animals carry 2-handed axes and other various equipment inside their body without being harmed.
    • Creatures/animals are born by fading in to existance at the same place and age as they were when they died.
    • Mini-skirts works in any weather condition.
    • Animals and creatures are mathematical geniouses who can calculate the shortest path to your current location with extreme precision, in realtime, during movement, without tools.
    • If a creature/animal comes to far from their favorite spot mentionend above, they are also magically healed, become immune to harm and gain the ability to run extremely fast or teleport.
  • xaritscinxaritscin Member UncommonPosts: 350

1. you teleport between territories

2. you can run with full armor as fasts as you can without it

3. eating and drinking heal the wounds better than first aids

4. bosses never go out from their lairs

5. flying mounts go against the real physics of flight

6. NPCs live in little house which lack several rooms, looks like they sleep in the dining room

7. resources are renewable, ores regenerate after certain time

8. the seas are completely dead, in some games you get to see some seaweed and fishes but no more.

9. players are hobos, they cannot buy a house

• TorgrimTorgrim Member CommonPosts: 2,088
    Originally posted by Loktofeit

Monsters have a favorite spot. If they get too far from it, they panic and run back.

Best line :)

If it's not broken, you are not innovating.

• RobsolfRobsolf Member RarePosts: 4,607
    Originally posted by timtrack
    • Not all rats have livers, or ears, or hearts, or tails.
    • Animals carry 2-handed axes and other various equipment inside their body without being harmed.

http://www.thenoobcomic.com/index.php?pos=24   image

• WickedjellyWickedjelly Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 4,990

Monsters are easily offended and will attack the hero that is 'taunting' them rather than the one that is actually killing them.

Even though everything fits in your bag, they can only be kept in small, even-numbered stacks.

Every creature can be killed except mounts which are magical, immortal creatures... that are weightless and fit in your bag.

Part of your list should be why mmos don't suck ass anymore. Seriously? None of that stuff was remotely entertaining to deal with.

1. For god's sake mmo gamers, enough with the analogies. They're unnecessary and your comparisons are terrible, dissimilar, and illogical.

2. To posters feeling the need to state how f2p really isn't f2p: Players understand the concept. You aren't privy to some secret the rest are missing. You're embarrassing yourself.

3. Yes, Cpt. Obvious, we're not industry experts. Now run along and let the big people use the forums for their purpose.

• skydiver12skydiver12 Member Posts: 432

Originally posted by Wickedjelly
    Originally posted by Loktofeit   Shopkeepers will buy ANYTHING. Monsters are easily offended and will attack the hero that is 'taunting' them rather than the one that is actually killing them. Everything is weightless. Everything fits in your character's bag. Even though everything fits in your bag, they can only be kept in small, even-numbered stacks. Every creature can be killed except mounts which are magical, immortal creatures... that are weightless and fit in your bag. Mana powers bows and arrows are infinite.
     Part of your list should be why mmos don't suck ass anymore. Seriously? None of that stuff was remotely entertaining to deal with.

Are unlimited arrows "entertaining"?
    Are free trash buying NPCs "entertaining" then?

Originally posted by skydiver12

Originally posted by Loktofeit   Shopkeepers will buy ANYTHING. Monsters are easily offended and will attack the hero that is 'taunting' them rather than the one that is actually killing them. Everything is weightless. Everything fits in your character's bag. Even though everything fits in your bag, they can only be kept in small, even-numbered stacks. Every creature can be killed except mounts which are magical, immortal creatures... that are weightless and fit in your bag. Mana powers bows and arrows are infinite.

Are unlimited arrows "entertaining"?
    Are free trash buying NPCs "entertaining" then?

Yes, not having to deal with crafting every single arrow or buying stacks to have in your inventory is not a timesink therefore adds to my entertainment.

So does being able to use one vendor to sell my items rather than having to determine what I can or cannot sell on a continual basis or having to use multiple vendors spread throughout the lands to sell to sell items to.

Want to try again? Might have better luck next time.

1. For god's sake mmo gamers, enough with the analogies. They're unnecessary and your comparisons are terrible, dissimilar, and illogical.

2. To posters feeling the need to state how f2p really isn't f2p: Players understand the concept. You aren't privy to some secret the rest are missing. You're embarrassing yourself.

3. Yes, Cpt. Obvious, we're not industry experts. Now run along and let the big people use the forums for their purpose.

• AticusWellesAticusWelles Member Posts: 152
    Meh, what's entertaining to one is lazy game design and the desires of even lazier players to another.

But this isn't limited to MMOs, almost all mainstream games these days are catering to the lowest common denominator, but when you have the lowest common denominators making the games I suppose that stands to reason.
  • UOvetUOvet Member Posts: 514

I really miss killing peoples horses.

I also miss killing people, looting them mid-battle, getting too much weight and dying cause of it LOL.

I'm serious ;), good times. Everything is soft nowadays though. Everything....and just about everyone from what it seems like anymore.

There is a reason Larry the Cable Guy has made millions. He caters the retards and rednecks which throw their money at his stupid ass. That's what the game industry has turned into. You have 4-5 big companies anymore making the same old shit every year, and once in a while we see something decent.

Originally posted by AticusWelles
    Meh, what's entertaining to one is lazy game design and the desires of even lazier players to another.

But this isn't limited to MMOs, almost all mainstream games these days are catering to the lowest common denominator, but when you have the lowest common denominators making the games I suppose that stands to reason.

Lol

Yes, I'm sure if I had no real reason to balk as to why someone wouldn't want those things I would resort to namecalling too. Shame you think so little of the developers as well.

• waynejr2waynejr2 Member EpicPosts: 7,769
    Originally posted by AticusWelles

What's funny to me are forum experts who call devs lazy.

http://www.youhaventlived.com/qblog/2010/QBlog190810A.html  

Epic Music:   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vAigCvelkhQ&list=PLo9FRw1AkDuQLEz7Gvvaz3ideB2NpFtT1

https://archive.org/details/softwarelibrary_msdos?&sort=-downloads&page=1

Kyleran:  "Now there's the real trick, learning to accept and enjoy a game for what it offers rather than pass on what might be a great playing experience because it lacks a few features you prefer."

John Henry Newman: "A man would do nothing if he waited until he could do it so well that no one could find fault."

FreddyNoNose:  "A good game needs no defense; a bad game has no defense." "Easily digested content is just as easily forgotten."

LacedOpium: "So the question that begs to be asked is, if you are not interested in the game mechanics that define the MMORPG genre, then why are you playing an MMORPG?"

• waynejr2waynejr2 Member EpicPosts: 7,769

Lizard people wear feather headdresses.

You cannot sit anything on the ground except yourself.

The main city for each race is the most wasteful and poorly-designed city of the realm but everyone goes there because it's the only place in the realm that certain shops exist.

The most vile and heinous threat to the realm will often be idling in a field, bothering no one.

The scholars of the land have figured out how to use plants to make explosives, restoratives and magical enchantments but are completely lost on how to actually grow them.

it's funny when people claim some of those things break their immersion.  LIke limited bag space or having weight limits.  Personally, I love it.

http://www.youhaventlived.com/qblog/2010/QBlog190810A.html  

Epic Music:   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vAigCvelkhQ&list=PLo9FRw1AkDuQLEz7Gvvaz3ideB2NpFtT1

https://archive.org/details/softwarelibrary_msdos?&sort=-downloads&page=1

Kyleran:  "Now there's the real trick, learning to accept and enjoy a game for what it offers rather than pass on what might be a great playing experience because it lacks a few features you prefer."

John Henry Newman: "A man would do nothing if he waited until he could do it so well that no one could find fault."

FreddyNoNose:  "A good game needs no defense; a bad game has no defense." "Easily digested content is just as easily forgotten."

LacedOpium: "So the question that begs to be asked is, if you are not interested in the game mechanics that define the MMORPG genre, then why are you playing an MMORPG?"

Originally posted by waynejr2

it's funny when people claim some of those things break their immersion.  LIke limited bag space or having weight limits.  Personally, I love it.

I wouldn't get that either. You would think for those that cater to that philosophy they would want thosein play rather than not.

Granted I can honestly say I never heard someone use that complaint as to why they didn't care for those.

• GibboniciGibbonici Member UncommonPosts: 472

Unfortunately, MMOs do suck ass and more so now than they ever did in the past.

• AnirethAnireth Member UncommonPosts: 940

Most things are simply because it takes a lot of effort to do it right.

With right being, using the real world as basis, and adjusting it to fit the game worl, while not being annoying or unfair. It's likely that a race that has been spacefaring for thousands of years found a material thats waterproof and airtight, and can't rust etc.

Sometimes, some stuff is right in itself, but not when looking at the whole thing.

In Ultima Online, weapons and armors would break, and you needed to carry arrows with you aswell as reagents for spells. But furniture wouldn't break, even if it by earthquakes, flamestrikes or weapons that can kill dragons. This not only made no sense, it lead to making the carpenter job unattractive. Especially if you couldn't create half of the stuff anyways, and GMs tended to place that half players could create, too.

So it would have made more sense and would have been more fair if nothing would have worn out.

I'll wait to the day's end when the moon is high
    And then I'll rise with the tide with a lust for life, I'll
    Amass an army, and we'll harness a horde
    And then we'll limp across the land until we stand at the shore

Originally posted by Gibbonici
    Unfortunately, MMOs do suck ass and more so now than they ever did in the past.

/shrug

I'm enjoying mmos still. Future looks pretty good as well with some of the games on the horizon too.