Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

There is really no light in near future. With quality of new mmo's wow will rule for another 8 years

palulalulapalulalula Member UncommonPosts: 651

Teams are creating tons of new games and in fact not one is something special. For f sake where is their imagination, how is that possible that not one single team of developers is not able to create some kind of mysterious world full of intrigues like it was with single player rpg  Elder Scrolls. Now they give us that wanna be Oblivion Online mmo! What a crap is that??? First part of Elder looks 10 x better than this peace of s... . I think Blizzard don't need to be afraid for another 8 years with that stupid fast preorder of ''not finished mmo's''. Shame on all of this teams who tried to sell us that crap in advance, never ever i will preorder any mmo again. Problem is that they will destroy mmo market with this crappy games and not one smart company will invest any large amount of money in to mmo again. Well, excpt Blizzard

Comments

• BeansnBreadBeansnBread Member EpicPosts: 7,254

That's a pretty cynical view.

• palulalulapalulalula Member UncommonPosts: 651
    Originally posted by colddog04

That's a pretty cynical view.

Well it is not. Do you see maybe in near future some special title that gives you some  fast heart beats??? Well i see some  ''good average'' games but nothing super awesome and huge, something what was never before created

• RaysheRayshe Member UncommonPosts: 1,279

From what ive seen so far of secret world. its gonna have a very dedicated community. we very likely wont have massive numbers because the whole "figuring things out" factor. but still TSW is gonna be a great sleeper hit.

I've said this many times. the only thing to kill WoW will be WoW. too many people have spent Too many years building all of their toons for them to try a new game now. so until wow upgrades from crap to heaping pile of crap this game is going no where.

i mean to get the people who sat through the WOTLK Disaster to quit. you would need to be going out of your way to piss them off.

Because i can.
    I'm Hopeful For Every Game, Until the Fan Boys Attack My Games. Then the Knives Come Out.
    Logic every gamers worst enemy.

• JimmyYOJimmyYO Member UncommonPosts: 519

I'd have to agree, all this half finished trash is making the entire MMO market look bad. Unfortunatly blizzard looks like a joke as well with their boring panda expansion and D3 that was so short people were on Hell mode in less then a day. There is little to have faith in in the MMO world for many years to come and that includes WoW.

• RaysheRayshe Member UncommonPosts: 1,279

If it hadnt been for my resent test and play of TSW i would be feeling the same way. even with the combat system being the same. the tone and feel of the game is different, the story actually grabs you instead of being the typical cut and paste Story that SWTOR had. the voice acting has life instead of the sea of Dryness that SWTOR had. the quests are fun.

i did a investigation quest the during the weekend that made me actually do research on topics. instead of Right click, puzzle solved.

So really in the end i think if you want a game that will actually make you pay attention instead of afew months of endless grind until you get where your going. then TSW is good.

if you just want to stab things and say lol, play WoW

Because i can.
    I'm Hopeful For Every Game, Until the Fan Boys Attack My Games. Then the Knives Come Out.
    Logic every gamers worst enemy.

• CorehavenCorehaven Member UncommonPosts: 1,533

Well its not just the Elder Scrolls mmo thats on the horizon.  I agree it seems incredibly lame, at least to me.  But thats just one game. 

As far as WoW ruling for the next 8 years thats not completely impossible.  Not at all.  But Blizzard is making "Titan" whatever that is, and if nothing else I can half assume the players will flock there like flies on honey.   I dont think thats going to take 8 more years to release. 

I hate to say this, but.....Guild Wars 2 anyone?  Maybe?  Anyways Im probably going to give it a shot.  Its the only hope I have for the industry anymore. 

• lathaanlathaan Member UncommonPosts: 476

If GW2 doesnt fasten your heartbeat, you are dead.

• deathshrouddeathshroud Member Posts: 1,366
    Originally posted by palulalula

Teams are creating tons of new games and in fact not one is something special. For f sake where is their imagination, how is that possible that not one single team of developers is not able to create some kind of mysterious world full of intrigues like it was with single player rpg  Elder Scrolls. Now they give us that wanna be Oblivion Online mmo! What a crap is that??? First part of Elder looks 10 x better than this peace of s... . I think Blizzard don't need to be afraid for another 8 years with that stupid fast preorder of ''not finished mmo's''. Shame on all of this teams who tried to sell us that crap in advance, never ever i will preorder any mmo again. Problem is that they will destroy mmo market with this crappy games and not one smart company will invest any large amount of money in to mmo again. Well, excpt Blizzard

simple answer really, big companies do not take risks anymore becuase there have been way to many failures based on games that took risks, when a publisher looks at mmos they only see wow, they see wow and the $ wow makes and want a piece of the pie. But how do they go about getting those $ whilst making an mmo? well they follow the wow formula in the hopes of success whcih inevitably fails but in general offers a safe return of invesment becuase there are so many mmo hoppersi n the communtiy, game makes money people leave after first few mnoths and game slwoly dies and those publishers make some $ but not as much as they hoped because wow is great at being wow and no other game is gonig to beat wow at it. these include games like sw-tor, rift, eq2, tera, tes and many more which try to imitate WOW but add a novel twist to it.

Only indie developers take risks because they generally lack the knowledge of the industry to play it safe and make games with their heart instead of their head, the problem is that they lack funds and or a skilled team to get their vision to the same sort of standards as AA titles by big publishers, these are games like MO, darkfall,  xsyon, wurm. Problem here is people like the op choose to ignore these titles and dismiss or bash them for not beingt polished enough or bug free enough and go back to playing these cookie cutter mmo wow clones because they dont live in the real world, they believe they are entitled to an inovative, unique mmo experience with an AA budget. But reality is until a small indie company has moderate success with a unqiue mmo or sandbox mmo the big publishers wont even know they exist and will keep on seeing those $ signs.

the quickest way to actually see your vision happen is to support one of these indie companies so they get the funds and playerbase needed to make the big publishers take note. I think many of the failed mmos like d&l and shadowbane might of been great mmos had thier been the budget and manpower needed to finish them. But alas gamers dont like investing anymore they prefer to have isntant graftification which themepark mmos provide for a short duration.

there are 2 types of mmo, imitators and innovaters.

• CorehavenCorehaven Member UncommonPosts: 1,533
    Originally posted by lathaan

Wait....you mean ZOMBIES are posting on this forum!  Oh.....crap!  CRAP!   Its not just fiction! 

*grabs shotgun and baseball bat while looking out the window nervously*  image

• PNM_JenningsPNM_Jennings Member UncommonPosts: 1,093

i'm actually quite hopeful specifically because of eso and swtor. the reaction to them in the community, and swtor's decline, are indicators to other developers that the community just isn't interested in standard fare anymore. i'm looking forward to a new era of fun combat (a la gw2) and great atmosphere (a la tsw).

• dreamscaperdreamscaper Member UncommonPosts: 1,592

No.

This is a huge part of the problem. Until developers start making sure their games win or die due to their gameplay and game design merits instead of how big they can claim their launch numbers are, we are going to see nothing more than the same nonsense that we've seen for the past 6 years - titles that are launched with everything half-finished except for their marketing budgets.

<3

• lifesbrinklifesbrink Member UncommonPosts: 553

So says the SWTOR fanboy.  You are on Guild Wars 2's forum all the time bashing their game, and now you release this?

My blog is a continuing story of what MMO's should be like.

• StrangeEyesStrangeEyes Member Posts: 119

GW2 will proof your wrong it will blow people minds how great that game is in the long run it wont even need advertisement, the mouth to mouth will sell this baby like icescream in hot summer.

If it beats WoW I DON'T KNOW and  i realy dont care.

I know i will have blast with a mmo that finally is totally different from what we have experienced in last 10 years, gone with the EQ/WoW gameplay a new ERA of mmo's have arrived with GUILD WARS 2.

CPU:Intel Core i7-3770K 4GHz
    GPU:ASUS HD 7970 DirectCU II TOP
    MB:ASUS P8Z77-V DELUXE
    Case:Cooler Master HAF X
    RAM:Corsair 16GB 1600
    PSU:Corsair gold 850
    HD:SSD OCZ 256 GB vertex4

• Loke666Loke666 Member EpicPosts: 21,441
    Originally posted by Corehaven

Wait....you mean ZOMBIES are posting on this forum!  Oh.....crap!  CRAP!   Its not just fiction! 

Funny enough, if GW2 isn´t the game for you, then undead might be your best hope for the next few years....

Both Undead labs "Class 4" and CCPs "World of darkness online" seems to be very interesting games.

While it is true that games like TSW lack the polish to become a real competitor to Wow (it might still be fun to many players though) there are plenty of games in development that are good.

There will not be another Wow on the PC, people already discovered the genre but Wow will not rule the next 8 years as well, 1 or 2 years at tops. And OP have been known to state plenty of "facts" that are doubtful at best.

• jondifooljondifool Member UncommonPosts: 1,143

Teams are creating tons of new games and in fact not one is something special. For f sake where is their imagination, how is that possible that not one single team of developers is not able to create some kind of mysterious world full of intrigues like it was with single player rpg  Elder Scrolls.

Its strange that you have this view right now.

I mean we see some of the most innovative and genremoving MMO's comming out in the next year? If thats not exciting news for you, are you sure MMO's is for you. You could have grown out of the genre?

• fenistilfenistil Member Posts: 3,005
    Originally posted by jondifool

I mean we see some of the most innovative and genremoving MMO's comming out in the next year? 

You propably mean mmofps and mmorts and OP is talking about mmorpg's.

Unless you mean mmorpg's too - then I would want to know what titles exactly you mean?

• AdamantineAdamantine Member RarePosts: 5,085

Guess I just joined the undead, then.

Originally posted by Corehaven

Bah, Zombie.

I'll be a charismatic Vampire, if not a powerful Lich mage !

Originally posted by StrangeEyes

GW2 will proof your wrong [...]

Nope.

• atuerstaratuerstar Member Posts: 234

Played GW2 and TSW in beta's and find that each, in its own way, is daring to be innovative and work outside the current mould of such games. Personally it will be The Secret World for me as the contemporary adult setting, classless skill system, and thought provoking msytical investigations all appeal to me on many levels. Still I will be toying around with Guild Wars 2 just because it has no subscription and feels like a robust fun game in its own right.

They are innovative enough that I cancelled all ongoing subscriptions and wait impatiently for their release days.

• TirinasTirinas Member Posts: 117

too bad people like him (OP) neglect actually playing other games and just shout this nonsense instead.

• SpottyGekkoSpottyGekko Member EpicPosts: 6,916

I can see WOW towering over the MMO landscape for another 5 to 8 years, certainly.

Almost everyone (excluding me) has played it, and has some friends who are currently playing it, even if they themselves aren't. It's familiar territory, and a great "fallback MMO". It has tons of content due to its long run, and no new game launched now will ever match the accumulated content of WOW. It has effortlessly beaten-off all competition without seeming to even break it's stride.

I doubt any new MMO can BEAT WOW on quality. Match it, yes, but beat it ?

I can see lot's of scope for "niche games" like TSW, EVE and WoD in the market, but it would take a revolutionary game design to capture a significant number of players for anything more than 2 to 3 months. Nowadays, for whatever reason, nobody seems to stick around a single MMO long enough to become "invested" in the game. Hence, WOW remains the "default MMO", and so it keeps it's momentum.

• RasputinRasputin Member UncommonPosts: 602

Planetside 2

• FredomSekerZFredomSekerZ Member Posts: 1,156

OP forgets that developing a high quality single player is far easier than an mmorpg. PS2 is a special example. It focuses on being a large scale, peristante mmfps, and does those thing in a amazing way (at least from what i've seen)

MMORPG based on the EQ model like the ones we have today, have to have quests, dungeons, combat, hub cities, story, BG, RVR (now), etc. Making a focused experience that last for less than 100 hours and that's it is one. Making a game with atleast 100 hours of content and then keep updating it, managing it, etc, etc, etc is another beast.

I don't have any facts, but i think it's been stated than developing an mmo is the hardest thing in the whole video game industry. And the OP complains it's not on Skyrim level quality?

• MargraveMargrave Member RarePosts: 1,362

I played WoW from beta all the way through the last expansion. I'm done with it. Even played some of MoP beta and nothing really new to see. I have no desire to return personally.

There's a bunch of new titles, and even non-sub based, that are great. Will WoW ever fall, no. Most mmorpgs dont die, Ultima Online is still running! DAoC is still going somehow too!

It just means it will live via new people coming along, and old die-hards that refuse to leave. More power to 'em.

As for me, I have new worlds to explore elsewhere...