Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Tor down to 200k to 300k players Left

Comments

• GreenHellGreenHell Member UncommonPosts: 1,323
    Originally posted by Sameer1979
    Originally posted by GreenHell

It does always seem to come back to SWG for some people. Its pretty damn odd.

Whenever people starting bringin SWG into discussion and start comparing it to SWTOR even Jesus does a /facepalm. You are right it is pretty damn odd. But hey SWG players are angry and the closest thing they can get to vent their anger is SWTOR even thoguh that game has absolutely nothing to do with failure of SWG and its shutting down.

For years when SWG was up it was struggling for survival and was ignored  and flamed in general, but now after it is gone suddenly it was the best MMO ever made compared to SWTOR.(why the fuck even make this asnine comparison?).no shit...two very different MMOS made for two very different playerbase.

Strange how that happens. SWG by being shut down has become the martyr for sandbox games. I played SWG for many years. I was there at the end.  To compare ToR and SWG is probably one of the most ignorant things a person can do. Totally different games from totally different generations.

• Moaky07Moaky07 Member Posts: 2,096

Whenever people starting bringin SWG into discussion and start comparing it to SWTOR even Jesus does a /facepalm. You are right it is pretty damn odd. But hey SWG players are angry and the closest thing they can get to vent their anger is SWTOR even thoguh that game has absolutely nothing to do with failure of SWG and its shutting down.

For years when SWG was up it was struggling for survival and was ignored  and flamed in general, but now after it is gone suddenly it was the best MMO ever made compared to SWTOR.(why the fuck even make this asnine comparison?).no shit...two very different MMOS made for two very different playerbase.

Strange how that happens. SWG by being shut down has become the martyr for sandbox games. I played SWG for many years. I was there at the end.  To compare ToR and SWG is probably one of the most ignorant things a person can do. Totally different games from totally different generations.

You are right....totally different games by totally different companies yet it hasnt kept them from camping here the past 2 yrs, and bitching cause they didnt get SWG2. Grand total it has been over 6 yrs of their non sense.

How many of these non sense threads are created by them? I would bet a far majority. It isnt some major shock who these characters are.

TOR has roughly 50% retention, which is well within the MMO average. If we listened to those with an axe to grind, we would all be a bunch of chicken littles. The sky isnt falling, unless you want SWG back.

BTW Burnt.....you mention flightless birds, and yet the emulation is sadder than the actual game it is trying to copy. Good luck with that one.

Asking Devs to make AAA sandbox titles is like trying to get fine dining on a McDonalds dollar menu budget.

• GreyhooffGreyhooff Member Posts: 654
    Originally posted by Moaky07

You are right....totally different games by totally different companies yet it hasnt kept them from camping here the past 2 yrs, and bitching cause they didnt get SWG2. Grand total it has been over 6 yrs of their non sense.

How many of these non sense threads are created by them? I would bet a far majority. It isnt some major shock who these characters are.

TOR has roughly 50% retention, which is well within the MMO average. If we listened to those with an axe to grind, we would all be a bunch of chicken littles. The sky isnt falling, unless you want SWG back.

BTW Burnt.....you mention flightless birds, and yet the emulation is sadder than the actual game it is trying to copy. Good luck with that one.

Your continuous disinformation makes me suspicious.

Everyone knows the official numbers are boosted by giving everyone free time, they are meaningless.

300k current subs is obvious from actually looking at the number of people playing, and even that is generous.

2.3 million boxes sold and under 300k subs is what is realistic for SWTOR right now and that is a horrible retention rate, the worst ever retention rate for a MMO of this budget and hype.

• JoeyMMOJoeyMMO Member UncommonPosts: 1,326
    Originally posted by Greyhooff
    *snip*

Your continuous disinformation makes me suspicious.

Everyone knows the official numbers are boosted by giving everyone free time, they are meaningless.

300k current subs is obvious from actually looking at the number of people playing, and even that is generous.

2.3 million boxes sold and under 300k subs is what is realistic for SWTOR right now and that is a horrible retention rate, the worst ever retention rate for a MMO of this budget and hype.

While I think those numbers might become true pretty soon, there still is a difference between subs and number of people playing. They could still have more subs than people playing since quite a few paid for the box and an extra 6 months, even if they have long since stopped playing.

EA and viral marketing do make a pair however. Having unofficial sources spew out disinformation is becoming standard practise.

imageimage
  • RocketeerRocketeer Member UncommonPosts: 1,303

The problem is that SWTOR was a financial failure, if it wasn't EAs stockprice wouldn't be in free fall and they wouldn't have had to lay off people working on it.

And that in return creates another problem for us, because it means there will be no proper developement of the game and thus no fixing of whatever issues various displeased customers have. Its ok for a MMO to not be perfect at launch, thats the beauty of the genre, you can continiously improve the game via expansions and updates. But for that your game has to be a success first, and by success i mean success in the eyes of the people who invested in your game, not success in the eyes of some SW fanboy.

Take a look at their share value since the game launched and then tell me wether or not those people are happy. Im not a shareholder of EA, but if i was i wouldn't be happy. Especially considering some people might have bought stock back in 2008 when they announced the game, at 40$ per share. I wouldn't be happy, not happy at all at all.

• ZippyZippy Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 1,412

Update 6/17:

Tor dropped down to 6 NA servers and 3 Euro servers that were not dead prior to when the merges began,  Presently on Tor Status there are 10 non dead US servers and 2 servers that are gaining.  There are 4 Euro servers not in dead status with 1 close to coming back to life. Totaling14 non dead servers right now with 3 close to being brought back to life.

So far with the merges they have now gained in players 3 straight days on Tor Status which is the second time they have posted gains this year and the  first gain since they gained 3 straight days when 1.2 came out.  Keep in mind these gains reflect a 7 day status so likely the gains are larger than  being shown.

It is likely when the merges are done there may be around 20 total servers left of which 10 will be be very close to going back to dead status.  Generally the trend on what happens on this website is when a server is declining and hits below 1.3 the drop off to hit 1.0 is very swift.  The lower it gets the faster the decline.  Veru much a momentum things.  The more people that jump ship the faster the drop off.   But with the merges and the gains it will take awhile for things to settle and for people to percieve any actual momentum one way or the other. 

Overall the merge seems to have been successful in quelling the slide.  WIthout the merges Tor would have been down to 4 non dead servers and at least temprarily they will postpone that slide,  My guess is it will buy them a month before momentum shifts and the big drop offs continue.  In a month they will likely be down to 10 servers again and within 2 months I am guess ing it will settle down to 4 or 5 total servers before the population eventually stabilizes.

• MMOGamer71MMOGamer71 Member UncommonPosts: 1,988
    Originally posted by Zippy

Update 6/17:

Tor dropped down to 6 NA servers and 3 Euro servers that were not dead prior to when the merges began,  Presently on Tor Status there are 10 non dead US servers and 2 servers that are gaining.  There are 4 Euro servers not in dead status with 1 close to coming back to life. Totaling14 non dead servers right now with 3 close to being brought back to life.

So far with the merges they have now gained in players 3 straight days on Tor Status which is the second time they have posted gains this year and the  first gain since they gained 3 straight days when 1.2 came out.  Keep in mind these gains reflect a 7 day status so likely the gains are larger than  being shown.

It is likely when the merges are done there may be around 20 total servers left of which 10 will be be very close to going back to dead status.  Generally the trend on what happens on this website is when a server is declining and hits below 1.3 the drop off to hit 1.0 is very swift.  The lower it gets the faster the decline.  Veru much a momentum things.  The more people that jump ship the faster the drop off.   But with the merges and the gains it will take awhile for things to settle and for people to percieve any actual momentum one way or the other. 

Overall the merge seems to have been successful in quelling the slide.  WIthout the merges Tor would have been down to 4 non dead servers and at least temprarily they will postpone that slide,  My guess is it will buy them a month before momentum shifts and the big drop offs continue.  In a month they will likely be down to 10 servers again and within 2 months I am guess ing it will settle down to 4 or 5 total servers before the population eventually stabilizes.

Largest colapse in MMO history.

• jeremyjodesjeremyjodes Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 679

The story was great but they never planned ahead that when the class story is over the game is a generic locked on rails standard MMO where PVP whiners will rule the patches for years with their tears about iimginary imbalances they claim need to be fixed.

I still play and will until the fun parts are over. but right now the PVP QQers are getting heard are making the PVE portion of the game feel less worth while.

If they added just a little sandbox they would survive. but that entire "we don't want to re-invent the wheel" statement  is something they're not going to deviate from. they forget the fact it's the car not the wheels that need re-invinting.

To many rails in this themepark. it gets old fast. to many Wow like and less starwars like things happening here. it's sad but i'm not sure how long this die hard starwars fan can hang on unless they make it more sanboxy hybrid.

• ZippyZippy Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 1,412
    Originally posted by MMOGamer71

Update 6/17:

While the decline has been fast it is not clear if it has been faster than AoC.  Which similar to ToR merged servers 6 months after release merging down to a very small amount of servers.  But from an epic wha could have been I think ToR takes the cake.  With the biggest budge,t at least 3 times of any MMO ever released, the decline and dropoff if is quite amazing.  Whether you believe they spent is $200 million or $500 million keep in mind WoW hasd the largest budget ever and was only $75 million.  For the money spent the return is quite bad.  I would imagin ToR's failure will have effects on future MMO funding and development.  I doubt we will see anything close to this much money spent again.  Likely the AAA MMOs will not exceed Rift's $50 million.  Although Archeage devs have said they are going to spend $50 million on development.

The second effect of ToR is expensive voice over and gimmicks that do not effect gameplay will likely be tossed.  Rift may be the new role model with streamlined 1-50 content and a focus on quality tested endgame.  With Rift's success and ToR's failure I don't think ti means the end of playing ti safe with WoW clones.  But I think it will encourage alternative ideas.  Tera, GW2 and ESO seem to be signaling a shift to more action FPS orientated content.  It will be interesting to see where things go.  The success or failure of Archeage may have a large effect on what we see in the future,  Spending $50 million on a sandbox hybrid has not been done before.

• hikaru77hikaru77 Member UncommonPosts: 1,123

Update 6/17:

They have ¨superservers now¨  , less servers dont mean less people in the game, actually the poplation is growing once again because people was waiting for this and the servers can handle now an insane amount of players. The 1.3 update will bring back to the game even more players, so they gonna need to increase the cap even more and we will have queues once again, After the 1.3, they have the 1.4 wich is a Content update, then 1.5, the 1st expansion with the new planet and story, and they even have a ¨space combat secret proyect¨, and is not the new space mission that we saw in the E3 trailer, is pretty much an space expansion, and all this updates are coming this year.   A population drop, could happen, but also it could grow even more by the end of the year.

• Moaky07Moaky07 Member Posts: 2,096
    Originally posted by hikaru77

Update 6/17:

They have ¨superservers now¨  , less servers dont mean less people in the game, actually the poplation is growing once again because people was waiting for this and the servers can handle now an insane amount of players. The 1.3 update will bring back to the game even more players, so they gonna need to increase the cap even more and we will have queues once again, After the 1.3, they have the 1.4 wich is a Content update, then 1.5, the 1st expansion with the new planet and story, and they even have a ¨space combat secret proyect¨, and is not the new space mission that we saw in the E3 trailer, is pretty much an space expansion, and all this updates are coming this year.   A population drop, could happen, but also it could grow even more by the end of the year.

You forgot the part where HK-51 is going to make those of us playing very happy in da pants.

Seriously, even though HK wont sport teh "meatbag" reference, I can see his unlocking being a major focal point for a number of gamers. I wish he had of made it into the game at launch.

Asking Devs to make AAA sandbox titles is like trying to get fine dining on a McDonalds dollar menu budget.

• GreyhooffGreyhooff Member Posts: 654

There is no such thing as superservers. They are just the same servers after server merges.

The game is still declining, just like Warhammer did, except faster.

EA has obviously turned its back on SWTOR, laid off 200 people on the team - it's a dead game already in maintenance mode and is not going to get any more resources, Riccitello said as much to investors at the EA shareholder meet.

• Sameer1979Sameer1979 Member Posts: 362

There is no such thing as superservers. They are just the same servers after server merges.

EA has obviously turned its back on SWTOR, laid off 200 people on the team - it's a dead game already in maintenance mode and is not going to get any more resources, Riccitello said as much to investors at the EA shareholder meet.

The  raise in level cap, new planet, misisons , FP, ops etc is already in work and is releasing. Are you telling us they cancelled it and SWTOR won't have any more updates ever? would you mind giving us a link of this article which states all future development of SWTOR has been halted? 

• cutthecrapcutthecrap Member Posts: 600

Sorry, but this sounds more like wishful thinking mode, the kind of thing people who despise SWTOR or BW or EA or all three might be praying for fervently image

• Sameer1979Sameer1979 Member Posts: 362
    Originally posted by cutthecrap

Sorry, but this sounds more like wishful thinking mode, the kind of thing people who despise SWTOR or BW or EA or all three might be praying for fervently image

Since he provided no further reliable source or information to back up his ridiculous claim, i think i just got trolled?

Guess you missed the FACT that all Greyhooff posted is FACT.

Your post sounds like blind fanboism.

• RocketeerRocketeer Member UncommonPosts: 1,303

The  raise in level cap, new planet, misisons , FP, ops etc is already in work and is releasing. Are you telling us they cancelled it and SWTOR won't have any more updates ever? would you mind giving us a link of this article which states all future development of SWTOR has been halted? 

Will probably be an expansion like LotROs Mirkwood. If your not familiar with it lets just say that adding a couple levels, a region and a raid doesn't necessarily mean alot from a content pov. Also SWTOR planets are tiny, far smaller then other landmass additions. If they don't massively increase it in size compared to the planets we have now they would need to add like 5 planets to be worthy of being called an expansion.

Infact from what i have seen announced so far mirkwood might have been more substantial due to the skirmish system etc. And that was more a DLC then an expansion ...

@mmogamer71: sorry to disappoint you, I don't play SWTOR nor intend to, I saw the thread pass by on main page, was bored and clicked it to see what it was about as I do with many threads that pass the main page window. Blind fanbois and blind haters just annoy me, especially when they come up with all kinds of crap. I don't care much for SWTOR, but nowhere does it look to be a 'dead game in maintenance mode' especially with the updates it seemed to get. Vanguard was a dead game in maintenance mode.

Also I doubt that it was declining at a faster rate than WAR from what I recall of WAR's first months after launch.

So get over yourself.

@mmogamer71: sorry to disappoint you, I don't play SWTOR nor intend to, I saw the thread pass by on main page, was bored and clicked it to see what it was about as I do with many threads that pass the main page window. Blind fanbois and blind haters just annoy me, especially when they come up with all kinds of crap. I don't care much for SWTOR, but nowhere does it look to be a 'dead game in maintenance mode' especially with the updates it seemed to get.

Also I doubt that it's declining faster than WAR from what I recall of WAR's first months after launch.

So get over yourself.

EA themselves said SWTOR is NOT a priority.

Only extremists or black&white thinkers would translate such a statement as 'dead game in maintenance mode' and ignore all other facts in preference of their wishful thinking.

Only extremists or black&white thinkers would translate such a statement as 'dead game in maintenance mode' and ignore all other facts in preference of their wishful thinking.

Only ignorant fools would say otherwise.

Extremists eh?  Your facts?

LMAO.

• hikaru77hikaru77 Member UncommonPosts: 1,123

Update 6/17:

While the decline has been fast it is not clear if it has been faster than AoC.  Which similar to ToR merged servers 6 months after release merging down to a very small amount of servers.  But from an epic wha could have been I think ToR takes the cake.  With the biggest budge,t at least 3 times of any MMO ever released, the decline and dropoff if is quite amazing.  Whether you believe they spent is $200 million or $500 million keep in mind WoW hasd the largest budget ever and was only $75 million.  For the money spent the return is quite bad.  I would imagin ToR's failure will have effects on future MMO funding and development.  I doubt we will see anything close to this much money spent again.  Likely the AAA MMOs will not exceed Rift's $50 million.  Although Archeage devs have said they are going to spend $50 million on development.

The second effect of ToR is expensive voice over and gimmicks that do not effect gameplay will likely be tossed.  Rift may be the new role model with streamlined 1-50 content and a focus on quality tested endgame.  With Rift's success and ToR's failure I don't think ti means the end of playing ti safe with WoW clones.  But I think it will encourage alternative ideas.  Tera, GW2 and ESO seem to be signaling a shift to more action FPS orientated content.  It will be interesting to see where things go.  The success or failure of Archeage may have a large effect on what we see in the future,  Spending $50 million on a sandbox hybrid has not been done before.

¨TOR failure¨, With more than 2.4 MIll of copies and 6 months of of lets say 1 mill of subs you have more than $220 Mill. Yes is pretty much an huge failure. I remember EA and BW talking about how the game is profitable with just 500.000k subs, but clearly you know ¨how to make money¨ and ¨business¨ better than BW and EA, you should ask them a job.  GW2, TSW, and even TSO will have voice over, and after swtor is pretty much a must for any p2p MMO in the west. Is just amazing how the people here on mmorpg keep talking about ¨the fail of swtor¨ when in the real world is the most successful and populated P2P MMO post-WoW, if swtor is a fail what abour rift or tera then?. But is pointless, they hate around swtor is just epic, and dont really matter how wrong about the game the hater are, they really believe in their words even when they have nothing to justify ¨swtor is the biggest failure of the history¨ theory.  

Only ignorant fools would say otherwise.

Extremists eh?  Your facts?

LMAO.

Meh. this discussion is already starting to bore me, typical how some can't handle it when blown out-of-proportion statements and distortions of facts and truth get corrected by others, especially when it were hyperboles and fact distortions about a game they dislike.

Simple thing: when a game is dead and in maintenance mode, it hardly gets any updates at all and certainly not big ones.

Other thing: if an MMO with hundreds K subs/players is 'dead', then 90% of all MMO's running is dead.

That's objectivity to you, not some hyperbole extremes that fanbois as well as chronic haters seem to revel and get high on.

Man, mmorpg.com 'critics', fanbois and haters are starting to piss me off, especially with the weak and lame arguments they use. I'm outta here.

Update 6/17:

¨TOR failure¨, With more than 2.4 MIll of copies and 6 months of of lets say 1 mill of subs you have more than $220 Mill. Yes is pretty much an huge failure. I remember EA and BW talking about how the game is profitable with just 500.000k subs, but clearly you know ¨how to make money¨ and ¨business¨ better than BW and EA, you should ask them a job.  GW2, TSW, and even TSO will have voice over, and after swtor is pretty much a must for any p2p MMO in the west. Is just amazing how the people here on mmorpg keep talking about ¨the fail of swtor¨ when in the real world is the most successful and populated P2P MMO post-WoW, if swtor is a fail what abour rift or tera then?. But is pointless, they hate around swtor is just epic, and dont really matter how wrong about the game the hater are, they really believe in their words even when they have nothing to justify ¨swtor is the biggest failure of the history¨ theory.  

2.4 million copies sold becuase of what i call the "hype machine" , including me and seven months later it's F2P.

Rift (Trion) secured new funding made a stunning profit from zero/little experience and a ROOKIE game developer and is producing an xpac plus two new games. 

SWTOR had Bioware and EA behind it and follow the headlines and the stocks.

Enough said.

• mikahrmikahr Member Posts: 1,066

Not a priority means its not doing good and they will not pour any more money in it.

Sacking half of their staff is good indicator how things stand.

Content that is in its final stages will be made (and it was more or less known since february whats in the pipeline), but afterwards it will depend only on results.

If current trends continue it may as well be maintenance mode.

Rightio. Keep dreaming.

500k is lower limit bro, and they already fired half of their staff.

Thats how "successful" it is.