Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Anybody else afraid to buy this game, since it's releasing in the shadow of SWToR?

Comments

• ShakyMoShakyMo Member CommonPosts: 7,207
    Originally posted by tares
    Originally posted by ShakyMo
    No
    Both games have that story element (additionaly does gw2)

But the gameplay in tsw is less stale, its not a 2nd rate "world of cthulhucraft" like say swtor is a badly done "spacewow".

What it does better than swtor
    More exploration in pve
    Kingsmouth is small and developers state there are only 8 zones.i meant you could wander off in any direction
    Less instanced  Less choice, all instances were due to choice paths.and to hide you from frame rate crashing other players
    Way way less corridory Did you make it to hoth? or Ilum or the penal colony belvis? hoth yeah, its pretty corridory, mountains blocking your way etc.. as for ilum, man i wouldnt bring ilum up
    Not hub based Yes it is, 90% of quest are from hubs and just like SWTOR 10% are from other areas. maybe 80/20 for both.no its not, unless of course you only played to the police station, which is the only real hub in the game, that place has 9 quests, probably to make it easier on people used to "wow norm", most "hubs" have like 2 quests, its nothing like SWTOR/rift/Wow type collecting a shopping list of quests then return gameplay, your supposed to do 1 quest, phone it in, then lok for a new quest near where you completed it.
    Most quests you phone in, and generally less time sink walking about in general Still have to run back to the hub to pick up another quest.no you dont, you pick up one where you are, again its not hub bassed, although in this case i was refering more to SWTORS fly halfway across the galaxy and spending halkf an hour jhust bloody travelling time sinks
    Personal preference but story us you're a " cog in the machine" rather than "the chosen one" SWTOR had 8 diffrent stories, and each had a choice with morality so good or evil while I  guess no choice or control would make you feel like a cog in TSW. the choices were pointless, you had to go all good or all bad, just to get the best bonuses / gear.
    World is way more alive with ambient sounds and graphics and proper day / right cycle Both about the same, lots of zombies standing around in the middle of a field in both, LOL absoloutely frikin laughable, SWTOR is the most lifeless plastic artifiacal feeling MMO ever, you reallyt feel SWTOR world is more alive than TSW or even the same, really??  REALLY??
    Freedom to build your own deck
    Freedom to change your deck anytime out of combat
    Better underlying combat system than your typical wow/swtor/rift although needs more impacting animation Funcom needs to outsource combat systems, there is no QA or semblance of balance in TSW skills.
    Easier grouping as anyone can switch decks to fill any role.  WoW and SWTOR have tons of tank classes yet few tanks. yes because they have to PAY to respec
    Much better csrs Civil Service retirement? Customer service was aweful in age of conan and they will use same guys. yes it was awful in AOC, they seem to have improved as for SWTOR csrs - http://www.mmorpg.com/discussion2.cfm/thread/352509/Chuckle-Bioware-really-is-their-own-worst-enemy-further-antics-on-their-part.html

No kill stealing, everyone who hits a named mob gets the credit for quests. Who gets the loot? One thing I like about tera is can kill any KSer, one thing I hated about SWTOR is factions were kept seperate. both get the loot.  your not stood there queueing because some git ran in and kiled the named mob for your quest and wouldnt group - unlike swtor - errr when there were people around to run in and steal.
    More involved crafting, and crafting as a needed thing to tailor your gear to different decks
    3 sided pvp
    Much better thought out endgame pvp (although needs more of it) Nah SWTOR's endgame PvP was fine, it just had few rewards.  PvPers won't play TSW much anyway due to no PvP server so anything they put in will be used less.  In SWTOR I can find a warzone within a minute on my dead server.  PvP players enjoy matches. LOL Ilum is the biggest bag of shite endgame PVP in a mmo ---- EVER. as for SWTOR PVP server - huh what world PVP.  Also I guess PVPErs will prefer SWTORs wonderful world pvp over GW2 as gw2 doesnt have world PVP either - LOL
    Rock hard dungeons  Doubt media playing random toons is any indication of difficulty. who mentioned media? also par for the course, look at aoc dungeons.
    Different quest types like investigations and sabotage missions.  SWTOR had diffrent stuff but at the same time both have mostly the same fillers. lol SWTOR just has kill 10 whomprats, hack 5 computers and fly / walk for half an hour quests.  It has less quest variety than the 8 year old wow it so badly copies.
    Less stilled / better writing imo Bioware's writters are top tier, it is why they have so many top hits.  Story's were loved by most players in SWTOR, many people played to make alts to get another one or another faction.  Imperial agentwas the best story imo because it gave the developers more freedom. storys WERE great - kotor 1, ME 1 & 2, DA:o (sorta), they aint so hot now.
    Equally great music with a nice way it intensifies when you're in danger
    Better graphics overall (bar some animations) SWTOR graphics were tight. swtor has nicer PC animations than TSW, everything else is lower quality and cartoony.
    Better performance with large groups of players This is impossible, same engine as age of conan uses, which doesn't work with large groups of players.  Maybe the same, in Ilum I was 30 FPS with 100+ players in Ilum nut SWTOR's engine is just as bad. its a different engine to AOC - AOC was v2,  tSW is version 3, they retro fitted some TSW stuff into AOC to make it 2.5.  The main thing they work on with TSW version of engine was crowd handling.  Regardless SWTOR was as bad as AOC on crowds, which i cant understand as WAR was considerably better than both crowd wise.
    Less cpu bound

no im not a EA PR guy, lol have you seen my various posts on EA.

• AdamTMAdamTM Member Posts: 1,376

"...shadow of SWToR"

• NethriilNethriil Member Posts: 178
    Don t worry tsw is polished. Its Even got Dodge now apparently. I am not in cb. .9 cb leaked and is on some site. I feel like cake now ;)
  • raistlinmraistlinm Member Posts: 673
    Originally posted by simplyawful

Yeah, I played the beta weekend. Mostly liked it, but it is, without a doubt, story oriented and not as social as some might like it to be.

The content, being so solo-oriented and story driven seems like a recipe for disaster just like SWToR. Sure, it might be fun the first time you play it through, but.. when you can basically get all of the skills and see all of the content, where is the replay value?

At least SWToR had rolling alts to see alternate stories going for it and the class stories were unique. This game has 3 mini starter areas until you get to the meat of the game, which is uniform for everybody, at least from what I've played.

Maybe I'm wrong. Maybe there is a lot to do in the game with people and groups you can form to conquer challenging foes, but none of that was present in the beta in Kingsmouth, at least not to any appreciable degree.

The whole story trend is starting to become disturbing. I like this games atmosphere and point and click elements, but ... does it really have any longevity, or will it just be a flash in the pan?

The fact that it's made by funcom is a much stronger deterent for me.  Honestly let's look at inour minds eye the release state of TOR and compare it to either AO or AOC.  Lot's of folks purchased tor with an eye towards complaint if it didn't "feel" like SWG but until they burned through the content there wasn't much being said while funcom launched both of there previous mmo's with game breaking bugs,missing features, and a general sense of deception felt by those willing to buy into the games.

If I'm not mistaken GW2 is paying a bit more attention to lore than we are used to from mmorpg's as well.  IKf that's the case then it seems more of a trend of the industry than having anything to do with how tor presented it's lore.

I love games and don't hate on a game simply because it plays like a single player game (whatever that means) so if they could come close to the way tor released I'll be pleased but still maintain I will never uy a funcom product at launch until they buck the trend they have started with the prior two mmo releases they have had which rank right up there in bad with Cryptic.

• RhowinRhowin Member Posts: 36

I don't think the fact that many MMOs offer content to solo-players is bad as long as they offer as well something to those who enjoy  something more group-play oriented. Nothing is stopping you in TSW to do quests together with others and you won't get seperated like in swtor - but no matter, most people I know and I assume a large part of the swtor players didn't really complain about the game until they finished leveling.

Assuming a company has limited resources to do quests - making quests only available for certain classes, factions etc.pp would only result in less quests to do for most players unless you actually make sufficient alts. Hence I think it's a smart move making at least the largest part of the quests the same for all players. Even worse if you allow forks within a quest chain, making a large part of the created content only available for an even smaller group of players. Compared to many other titles including upcoming ones the production of those quests take much more resources than 'kill x, collect x or kill until stage y starts where you have to kill z'.

Anyhow the variety and presentation of quests in TSW is an improvement to the themepark genre imho.

• KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,509
    Originally posted by Nethriil
    Don t worry tsw is polished. Its Even got Dodge now apparently. I am not in cb. .9 cb leaked and is on some site. I feel like cake now ;)

Now that you reminded me, there's another less than endearing trait of Funcom, they leave their NDA's in place far too close to launch.

This title is targeted for release at the end of June and there's still an NDA in place?  They did the same thing for AOC and it turned out that yes, they were hiding many problems the game had.

No, I think I'll hold on to my money until after it launches and then we'll see how "polished" it really is.

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• BlackbrrdBlackbrrd Member Posts: 811
    Originally posted by FredomSekerZ

The longevity question again? To you OP, i ask you the same thing i asked to those who ask that: What's the difference with any themepark mmo?

What happens when you do all quests, all dungeons and reach the end of the story? Harder dungeon modes, pvp, crafting, metagaming, minigames, achivements, lore pieces, theatre in London to RP, and , maybe, if Funcom is awesome, large scale,community wide, really hard, ARG events.

Basicaly, the same thing has every themepark. Drain content, do the smaller amount that's left and wait for more updates. Can you please name me 1 mmorpg without player created/driven content that isn't like that?

I'm sorry if this came of has rude and offensive, btw, but it's not.

A really good post.

What I think is most important with a game is that the basic gameplay is very solid. TSW with it's huge horizontal progression, both in gear and abilities in addition to the vertical progression in the same areas is really important.

The quality of the quests in TSW also does make a difference to me. Playing through them is an experience in it self, not just for xp, but because they are awesome.

Anyway, without the technical problems and design flaws of their previous games, I think Funcom can concentrate on creating and adding a lot of quality content post launch and just expand on their horizontal progression. Of course there will be players that run out of content, either because they play 24/7, because they don't see investigation or sabotage missions as content or because they only follow the main story. At the same time, I think content will be added quick enough for most players to be really satisfied with the game.

In short, I am not afraid of TSW just falling apart after launch.

• NethriilNethriil Member Posts: 178
    Apoarently tsw has twice the content of swtor. We shall see
    Originally posted by ShakyMo
    Originally posted by tares
    Better performance with large groups of players This is impossible, same engine as age of conan uses, which doesn't work with large groups of players.  Maybe the same, in Ilum I was 30 FPS with 100+ players in Ilum nut SWTOR's engine is just as bad. its a different engine to AOC - AOC was v2,  tSW is version 3, they retro fitted some TSW stuff into AOC to make it 2.5.  The main thing they work on with TSW version of engine was crowd handling.  Regardless SWTOR was as bad as AOC on crowds, which i cant understand as WAR was considerably better than both crowd wise.

I just wanted to comment on the TSW vs Aoc engine and they have done some huge improvements for handling more people on screen. The difference being that while in AoC load went up exponentially as you added players doing AoE, the load in TSW goes up linearily. The engine has been built and tested for 300+ players AoE-ing each other in the same area. I don't know if we will see that many in the persistant PvP zone, because of the load client side, but the engine does handle it. There is a reason Nvidia is saying TSW is the most advanced MMO to date.

Originally posted by Nethriil
    Apoarently tsw has twice the content of swtor. We shall see

I think that is stretching it a bit. It depends on if you look at content pr character or count in alts.

• Ambros123Ambros123 Member Posts: 877
    Originally posted by Kinchyle
    Originally posted by BadSpock
    Originally posted by Kyleran

No, I'm afraid to buy TSW because it's made by Funcom. 

Definintely holding off until post-launch to see what sort of quality they manage to deliver.

Seriously?!?!?

Are you just one of those Funcom haters then? Because they have one of the best track records for MMOs unless you are a hater.

If AoC and AO are "the best track records for MMOs" than you and I have a VERY different definition of the word "best."

I'm sorry...but since I tested AO and it is STILL GOING and AoC is one of the BEST going....what world are you living in?

Still one of the best even though they went F2P to save it?

As for the releasing in the shadow question, TSW won't matter if it is released now or at the end of the year.  It will appeal to a nitche crowd and thats about it and really it's just another themepark just with some different skins and different atmosphere/setting.  Real issue is how if any influence GW2 will have if they are released in close proximity as I see some actual innovation in GW2 and not so much in TSW.

• cutthecrapcutthecrap Member Posts: 600
    Originally posted by Ambros123
    Originally posted by BadSpock
    Originally posted by Kyleran

No, I'm afraid to buy TSW because it's made by Funcom. 

Definintely holding off until post-launch to see what sort of quality they manage to deliver.

Seriously?!?!?

Are you just one of those Funcom haters then? Because they have one of the best track records for MMOs unless you are a hater.

If AoC and AO are "the best track records for MMOs" than you and I have a VERY different definition of the word "best."

I'm sorry...but since I tested AO and it is STILL GOING and AoC is one of the BEST going....what world are you living in?

Still one of the best even though they went F2P to save it?

As for the releasing in the shadow question, TSW won't matter if it is released now or at the end of the year.  It will appeal to a nitche crowd and thats about it and really it's just another themepark just with some different skins and different atmosphere/setting.  Real issue is how if any influence GW2 will have if they are released in close proximity as I see some actual innovation in GW2 and not so much in TSW.

? LotrO went F2P too, and could be considered among the best too.

In fact, if I look at the dozens to hundreds of MMO's that are out there, I'd definitely rank AoC among the current top 10, along with a WoW, LotrO, Aion, and Rift, and in some areas better than some of those. Certainly better than an APB, DDO, FFXIV, STO, CO, DCUO or WAR or many others that were released the past couple of years. 

As for innovation, well, that's partially subjective. I see a number of innovations in TSW as well, or deviations from the norm if you want to call it that, just like GW2 has a number of innovations and things that aren't that innovative but more like deviations from the norm. Anyway, don't want to make this into another GW2 derailment thread, too many of those happening on this site already. So if you want to play GW2 and don't want to play TSW bc you don't like it, well, fair enough, have fun too.

• YalexyYalexy Member UncommonPosts: 1,058

First of all, people need to understand that a MMORPG, especially one that's not using a well tested engine, but a homebrew will allways have a rocky start.

Look at the MMOs released within the last two years... RIFT (Gamebryo), SWTOR (Hero), TERA (Unreal), etc... These MMOs were rather polished as they opted to use well documented and tested engines.

AO was ages ago and back then there wasn't many MMOs around to start with and they all had rather big issues at the beginning, so AO isn't really a good example.

AoC used a 100% homebrew-version (Dreamfall) made by Funcom and due to the heavy hardware-requirements had aswell a very rocky start, however, they atleast tried something new with their combat-system and the graphics where awesome.
    They have improved AoC rather fast and it became playable and enjoyable.

Now, TSW will use standard-combat and the (now) well tested Dreamfall-engine, so we really shouldn't expect too much troubles regarding gamebreaking engine-bugs, however the engine still requires up-to-date hardware (preferably intel + nVidia) to enjoy the DX11-client and the stunning graphics.

The setting, the combat-system and the questing is a very subjective thing. There'll be people who like it, and some who don't. Simple as that. Discussions about it lead nowhere and sure are not a measurement if the game is in a good state or not.

As I see it, the game has alot of potential, and after having tested the CB-client I must say that I've not encountered any problems, besides some minor annoyances.

So no, I'm not afraid of buying the game, as it offers - and this is a very subjective perception again - alot of the stuff I like with a rather polished engine.

• SoandsosoSoandsoso Member Posts: 533

Name me a game or developer that doesn't get bashed by someone on these forums.....you cant because threads like these are a dime a dozen.

• strangepowersstrangepowers Member UncommonPosts: 630

How exactly is this "shadow" cast...

I swear the melodramatic post titles rival those of FOX News.

• VhalnVhaln Member Posts: 3,159

Can't answer, without knowing what the high level game is like.  Not even sure if I can call it "endgame" because it doesn't have the same sort of level cap system.. but I will say, I don't think how well it does, or how long it'll last, has anything to do with SWTOR, what so ever.

When I want a single-player story, I'll play a single-player game. When I play an MMO, I want a massively multiplayer world.

• rsrestonrsreston Member UncommonPosts: 346

I had to reply: this is one of the dumbest propositions in these forums EVER!

• DestaiDestai Member Posts: 574

I don't see how the success of SWTOR impacts this game. I think this game's success will be dependent on the depth and quality of their game. I would hope some manner of trial would be available shortly after release - it could increase interest. Personally, I won't buy the game because I am hopelessly in love with GW2 and I don't want another p2p game. 

• Ice-QueenIce-Queen Member UncommonPosts: 2,483

I don't think the failure of SWTOR has anything to do with how successful TSW or any other game will be. My reasons for not playing the TSW are just 2.  1. I tried to play beta and not 10 mins in I could feel a seizure coming on from the lights flickering in the starting area. 2. It's FunCom, despite it being FunCom I was willing to give it a try in beta, but I wasn't able to.

I honestly hope the game is a success, even though I won't be playing it. We need more successful games out so companys will have to work harder for the customers to keep them. More successful mmos is a good thing for all of us.

What happens when you log off your characters????.....
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GFQhfhnjYMk
    Dark Age of Camelot

• shadow9d9shadow9d9 Member UncommonPosts: 374
    Originally posted by FredomSekerZ

The longevity question again? To you OP, i ask you the same thing i asked to those who ask that: What's the difference with any themepark mmo?

What happens when you do all quests, all dungeons and reach the end of the story? Harder dungeon modes, pvp, crafting, metagaming, minigames, achivements, lore pieces, theatre in London to RP, and , maybe, if Funcom is awesome, large scale,community wide, really hard, ARG events.

Basicaly, the same thing has every themepark. Drain content, do the smaller amount that's left and wait for more updates. Can you please name me 1 mmorpg without player created/driven content that isn't like that?

I'm sorry if this came of has rude and offensive, btw, but it's not.

Asheron's Call.

• SkuzSkuz Member UncommonPosts: 1,018
    Originally posted by simplyawful

Yeah, I played the beta weekend. Mostly liked it, but it is, without a doubt, story oriented and not as social as some might like it to be.

Since when is a game at fault for it not being social? it's the players in it that decide if it is social or not, on the servers I played on there was a lot of chat & discussion about the game as well as help being asked for & cryptically given. Before you apportion blame check you are putting it on the correct culprit. 

The content, being so solo-oriented and story driven seems like a recipe for disaster just like SWToR. Sure, it might be fun the first time you play it through, but.. when you can basically get all of the skills and see all of the content, where is the replay value?

How much content did you see? Oh, just one zone?, yeah there's a lot more to see & it is quite common in MMO's for the starter areas to be mostly solo, just like Kingsmouth is, to lead you into the story & introduce you to the game's differences from it's competition & give you time to get to grips with them before plunging you into another set of challenges such as those involved in cooperating with others, the game is not designed solely for MMO experts, the next two betas should open up more of the grouping game to players and allow them to experience at least 1 group dungeon. The game won't require "replay value" as alts shouldn't be necessary unless you want to roll 1 character for each faction to see if they play out differently in some way.

At least SWToR had rolling alts to see alternate stories going for it and the class stories were unique. This game has 3 mini starter areas until you get to the meat of the game, which is uniform for everybody, at least from what I've played.

And? It's a different game man, why should an MMO have to always take everything done by every game before it & do it the same but better? Why can't games just be judged & stand or fall on their own merits instead of all this comparative bullshitting?

Maybe I'm wrong. Maybe there is a lot to do in the game with people and groups you can form to conquer challenging foes, but none of that was present in the beta in Kingsmouth, at least not to any appreciable degree.

The whole story trend is starting to become disturbing. I like this games atmosphere and point and click elements, but ... does it really have any longevity, or will it just be a flash in the pan?

I think you are coming from the "story is bad" camp, you came into the beta holding onto your biases & pre-judgements & then made the evidence fit the crime.

This game is not in the "shadow of SWTOR" until you put it there for your own purposes.

• sindraodsindraod Member Posts: 28

What scares me has nothing to do with Funcom. Nor does SWtOR mean a thing as it relates to TSW.

What scares me are those two words that should also scare all of you.

Electronic Arts.

• KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,509
    Originally posted by strangepower

How exactly is this "shadow" cast...

I swear the melodramatic post titles rival those of FOX News.

Because drama sells ....which is why FOX news does it, and here on forums, people do it to inspire people to read/reply to their posts.

Look, it worked, even got you to post here.

Working as designed.

But you know, if you don't enjoy posting in forums, there are other activities you could be doing.

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• RobsolfRobsolf Member RarePosts: 4,607

Another badly written poll designed to hate on TOR.  Thanks, we needed another one of those.

But let me correct if for you, in case you truly wanted a poll that WASN'T intended to be just a loaded bullshit question:

Will this game last long, or fade out quickly?

I think it will the go the SWToR route.
    I think it has some real longevity to it.

should be:

Will this game last long, or fade out quickly?

I think it will fade out quickly.
    I think it has some real longevity to it.

• SoandsosoSoandsoso Member Posts: 533
    Originally posted by sindraod

What scares me has nothing to do with Funcom. Nor does SWtOR mean a thing as it relates to TSW.

What scares me are those two words that should also scare all of you.

Electronic Arts.

When I first saw the EA splash screen I was like WTF. I pre-ordered anyways because I will try most games and make an educated decision based on what I experienced.