Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

SWG returning?

Comments

• superniceguysuperniceguy Member UncommonPosts: 2,278
    Originally posted by ktanner3
    Originally posted by superniceguy

He also said , "It was time to turn it off."  No one says something like that about a game that is making money.

Yeah because the contract was up for renewal, and LA did not want to renew the contract.

Where has LA said that they didn't want to renew the contract?

SWG shuts down DEc 15th, SWTOR releases 20th. If there was a time to shut it down then Dec 15th was it, but still does not mean it was not making money.

No one in the world of business shuts down a project that is making money. You have provided nothing but ancedotal evidence to back up your claims.  Do you have any hard evidence eg: numbers,SOE and LA statements that specifically state the game was making a profit? And no, second hand "he said" "she said" from one of your favorite posters doesn't count.

SWTOR was predicted to eclipse SWG in the making money dept. If they were right then shutting down SWG would have been the time to turn it off, and these threads would not exist.

The SIMS Online was shut down years ago and yet that forum still exists here.  These threads will always exist because there will always be fans for every game. Doesn't mean that they represent a large majority of the gaming public.

Where has SOE said they were not making money?  That is where SOE said that LA did not want to renew the licence, and I have already explained.

SOE would have no choice to shut down the game if LA was not in agreeance. LA had SWTOR to fall back on.

There is no hard evidence, because the real facts will never be known, but what has been said by SOE makes more sense than what you say.

All my posts and reasoning are stated from people who do not hate SWG and have no bias. It is obvious you do not like SWG and will see the neagtive side to it, and for you try and make your point clear will always be a waste of time, and have seen it many times.

The SIMS online do not have many posts in their forums, unlike SWG.

I post in the SWTOR forums because the game is active, and is the only SW MMO to play atm, and I want a SW MMO to play. If SWTOR shuts down, before improving to my liking, I will not be posting against people who want it to come back, and nor I have I done with the SIMS online. You do here because SWG has MASS attraction.

Originally posted by ignore_me

This is the effect produced by killing this game. They martyred it. Because it's not a person it has the possibility (however improbable and impractical) of coming back in some form, so for those who were forced out and have no game to go to, it feels more satisfying to just try and find neverland.

I am not going for SWG 2 as chances are uit will just turn into a generic piece of crap like SWTOR.

SWG is already written, and requires no development cost, it just needa agreeance by someone to officially host it.

Why bother with another game, when it will get shut down anyway.

SWG deserves the chance to be F2P.

Well if you only want SWG Pre-CU FTP then you know that exists in the form that we cannot talk about.

No, the game that was shut down on 15th Dec 2011, with 8.5 years of characters and stuff done it. I am not starting from scratch in any other game, when LA can pull the plug whenevr they want. If it was dead when it shut down, then it would be a different matter, but the there was 4 full servers in June, 3 more than there was in April. The game had potential to live on. SWG did not die, it got murdered.

Ok well that's a different story. If you have played the (DELETED) any time recently then you can see that the game could not survive in today's world without a Vertical vector, graphics + physics updates, and a better combat system (The Queue is really boring, it takes way too long to kill even menial stuff. I like long kill times, but it's actually ridiculous and unengaging--NGE was better in this aspect).

Your stuff is gone bro, and all that it meant. They Death Star'd our achievements, time, and fun. I can't tell you to let it go, but as a sympathetic cohort I feel I should ask you to examine the probablility that you will get SWG back from SOE with the database intact from shutdown.

I would think they would hold on to the databases for a while in case (as they held on to EU Credit Card details from 2007 which got hacked last year), but may lose unclaimed account perks. Vendors and harvestors would probably go poof, but other thjings would be OK.

When a couple of account closed by mistake on Sep 15th, SOE managed to restore the accounts and characters but lost all the stuff on the subscription details. It was like a new account, and /getvet were 0 days.

• ktanner3ktanner3 Member UncommonPosts: 4,063

He also said , "It was time to turn it off."  No one says something like that about a game that is making money.

Yeah because the contract was up for renewal, and LA did not want to renew the contract.

SWG shuts down DEc 15th, SWTOR releases 20th. If there was a time to shut it down then Dec 15th was it, but still does not mean it was not making money.

No one in the world of business shuts down a project that is making money. You have provided nothing but ancedotal evidence to back up your claims.  Do you have any hard evidence eg: numbers,SOE and LA statements that specifically state the game was making a profit? And no, second hand "he said" "she said" from one of your favorite posters doesn't count.

SWTOR was predicted to eclipse SWG in the making money dept. If they were right then shutting down SWG would have been the time to turn it off, and these threads would not exist.

The SIMS Online was shut down years ago and yet that forum still exists here.  These threads will always exist because there will always be fans for every game. Doesn't mean that they represent a large majority of the gaming public.

Where has SOE said they were not making money?  That is where SOE said that LA did not want to renew the licence, and I have already explained.

SOE would have no choice to shut down the game if LA was not in agreeance. LA had SWTOR to fall back on.

There is no hard evidence, because the real facts will never be known, but what has been said by SOE makes more sense than what you say.

All my posts and reasoning are stated from people who do not hate SWG and have no bias. It is obvious you do not like SWG and will see the neagtive side to it, and for you try and make your point clear will always be a waste of time, and have seen it many times.

I post in the SWTOR forums because the game is active, and is the only SW MMO to play atm, and I want a SW MMO to play. If SWTOR shuts down, before improving to my liking, I will not be posting against people who want it to come back, and nor I have I done with the SIMS online. You do here because SWG has MASS attraction.

This is why most don't like to engage in conversation with you. When your argument fails you attack the poster.For your information(mis-information more like it) I enjoyed my time in the game. I didn't like what it became in late 2005 and I left. Just because I didn't like the NGE doesn't mean the facts I have presented are wrong. YOu can keep sticking your fingers in your ears and screaming la la la la, but it won't change anything.

You again fail to provide any links of any kind that support your argument. Me as well as others here have provided links that support our argument. We were also able to do it without attacking you personally.That's how real conversations work. Not everybody is going to agree with you and just because they don't see the world through your lens doesn't mean they have a hidden agenda of some kind. YOu called another poster here someone with a bias that hates the game and he was a SWG player for five years. If you don't like people who have a different viewpoint and you feel they are a waste of time, then don't respond to our posts. Just put us on ignore.

Currently Playing: World of Warcraft

• CasualMakerCasualMaker Member UncommonPosts: 862
    Originally posted by GreenHell
    Remember when LA released that statement saying they were going to keep both games going and then they changed their minds? If it had been a contractual issue they would have never released that. The contract between BW/EA and LA would have been finalized long before that statement was made.

Uh huh. And did anyone actually believe LA when they said that? I read it as " We don't want players wandering off to maybe find another game they like better. Just keep them playing the Star Wars IP until the new game is ready, and then we can cut loose this albatross."

• evilastroevilastro Member Posts: 4,270
    Originally posted by CasualMaker
    Remember when LA released that statement saying they were going to keep both games going and then they changed their minds? If it had been a contractual issue they would have never released that. The contract between BW/EA and LA would have been finalized long before that statement was made.

Uh huh. And did anyone actually believe LA when they said that? I read it as " We don't want players wandering off to maybe find another game they like better. Just keep them playing the Star Wars IP until the new game is ready, and then we can cut loose this albatross."

I sincerely doubt that LucasArts would even care if two companies had conflicting games with a Star Wars IP. Regardless of which one a customer buys they are still getting a cut, the only loser is the game publisher, not LucasArts.

If anything it would have suited LucasArts to have both games still running, but they dont give stuff away for free. SoE made the final call not to continue the game because it wasnt worth it to them to renew the license.

This is why most don't like to engage in conversation with you. When your argument fails you attack the poster.For your information(mis-information more like it) I enjoyed my time in the game. I didn't like what it became in late 2005 and I left. Just because I didn't like the NGE doesn't mean the facts I have presented are wrong. YOu can keep sticking your fingers in your ears and screaming la la la la, but it won't change anything.

You again fail to provide any links of any kind that support your argument. Me as well as others here have provided links that support our argument. We were also able to do it without attacking you personally.That's how real conversations work. Not everybody is going to agree with you and just because they don't see the world through your lens doesn't mean they have a hidden agenda of some kind. YOu called another poster here someone with a bias that hates the game and he was a SWG player for five years. If you don't like people who have a different viewpoint and you feel they are a waste of time, then don't respond to our posts. Just put us on ignore.

I am not attacking you, you have made it clear that you do not like SWG (at least the NGE) and have not played the game since 2007, and prefer SWTOR to SWG, and so you are not exactly fully clued up by all things SWG as a result.

I am the one being attacked. If anyone does not like what I say, I get called delusional, crazy, out of it etc etc, but when other people say it was profitable no one says anything or insulting. As a reult this is why discussion with me get out of hand, because I get attacked first.

Another fact that LA was more involved was that SWG had 6 months notice for closure, instead of 1-2 months. The Matrix SOE gave 2 months notice, and EQOA they gave 1 months notice. SOE gave 6 months for SWG as they were ordered to by LA. In all the 10 years I have played SOE games, they never give much notice for anything. This just contributes to the fact that SWG was profitable and needed to give the many people playing a longer heads up, and it was all part of the plan for SWTORs release. If it was not worth renewing the licence, and was all up to SOE, they would have only given the usual 1-2 months notice, and closed it in 2012 when the licence was acually ending.

If SOE/LA had any business sense at all, they would have waited to see if all the people that guadrupled SWGs population, would still be playing, in July, and then if they did not, and it just plummeted, then they could have made the announcement in August and still give plenty notice for closure in Dec 15th. The fact is, LA did not care whether all these people subbed or not, SWG was shutting down to make way for SWTOR.

• LowcaianLowcaian Member Posts: 265

You know I hate the "you are a tinfoil hat" argument. Why? Because it's being misused by kiddies. It has been hinted that EA wanted to make sure they were the sole publisher of a SW mmorpg so SWG had to go wether it was sustainable or not. That is business. Even if it's not absolutely proven to be true it is very plausible and thus no conspiracy theory. This things happen every day in business.

Tinfoil hat I would be if I claimed the Illuminati shut SWG down.

Originally posted by evilastro

I sincerely doubt that LucasArts would even care if two companies had conflicting games with a Star Wars IP. Regardless of which one a customer buys they are still getting a cut, the only loser is the game publisher, not LucasArts.

If anything it would have suited LucasArts to have both games still running, but they dont give stuff away for free. SoE made the final call not to continue the game because it wasnt worth it to them to renew the license.

This is another good point. Why would Lucasarts care about another Star Wars game competing with each other? That kind of thing happens all the time. How many Star Wars games have been in the market the last ten years? He didn't demand that SOE close down the Clone Wars game. Why not?

I highly doubt that Lucasarts said "Let's pull SWG because that will hurt TOR." If anything I would think that he wouldn't care about that because that is just one more company that has to pay a license fee to him. I'm sure we can all agree that Lucas is a greedy son of a gun who doesn't care what is done to his IP so long as he is getting paid. So why would he demand to cut a game  knowing that will make him lose revenue? 

Everything seems to point back to SOE. Seems to me it was a business decision based on the fact that it wasn't worth the cost of renewing the license. And since they are the only ones that have the actual numbers I'll take them at their word when they say that it was time to end the game.

• ukforzeukforze Member Posts: 331

Everything seems to point back to SOE. Seems to me it was a business decision based on the fact that it wasn't worth the cost of renewing the license. And since they are the only ones that have the actual numbers I'll take them at their word when they say that it was time to end the game.

SOE did not destroy galaxies, lets make that clear right now, i am not fan of SOE whatsoever but

the fact is they made one of the most innvovative mmo's of all time (argue all you like) the fact is

it has one of the most hardcore followings & one of the oldest, they made a game that could of

been so much more... that aside it was LA that ruined the game with the push for the CU & NGE

as LA WANTED MORE SUBS LIKE WOW, PLAIN & SIMPLE, typical LA greed.

Why would SOE ruin their own game? they had a few hundred thousand players, which fell

almost overnight with the 'WOW' style CU/NGE changes to the game, you only have to look at

SW:TOR & it stinks of NGE/WOW similarities.

The funniest thing is SW:TOR subs started plummeting after the 1st month & kept on falling

even with their BEGGIN MAILS & FREE MOTNH OFFERS! ...it will last a fraction of the time

SWG lasted & will have zero hardcore followers...

[mod edit]

The Deathstar destroyed planets...Lucas Arts destroyed Galaxies

¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯
    Played:
    SWG | EVE | WOW | VG | LOTRO | WAR | FML | STO | APB | AOC | MORTAL | WOT | BP | SW:TOR

This is another good point. Why would Lucasarts care about another Star Wars game competing with each other? That kind of thing happens all the time. How many Star Wars games have been in the market the last ten years? He didn't demand that SOE close down the Clone Wars game. Why not?

I highly doubt that Lucasarts said "Let's pull SWG because that will hurt TOR." If anything I would think that he wouldn't care about that because that is just one more company that has to pay a license fee to him. I'm sure we can all agree that Lucas is a greedy son of a gun who doesn't care what is done to his IP so long as he is getting paid. So why would he demand to cut a game  knowing that will make him lose revenue? 

EA cared and I'm sure LA didn't find it to hard to acommodate them.

• SandboxSandbox Member UncommonPosts: 295
    [mod edit]

Originally posted by ukforze
    Originally posted by Lowcaian
    EA cared and I'm sure LA didn't find it to hard to acommodate them.

[mod edit]

Why wouldn't EA care about the chance to have exclusive rights?

Originally posted by ktanner3 Everything seems to point back to SOE. Seems to me it was a business decision based on the fact that it wasn't worth the cost of renewing the license. And since they are the only ones that have the actual numbers I'll take them at their word when they say that it was time to end the game.

SOE did not destroy galaxies, lets make that clear right now, i am not fan of SOE whatsoever but

the fact is they made one of the most innvovative mmo's of all time (argue all you like) the fact is

it has one of the most hardcore followings & one of the oldest, they made a game that could of

been so much more... that aside it was LA that ruined the game with the push for the CU & NGE

Why would SOE ruin their own game? they had a few hundred thousand players, which fell

almost overnight with the 'WOW' style CU/NGE changes to the game, you only have to look at

The funniest thing is SW:TOR subs started plummeting after the 1st month & kept on falling

even with their BEGGIN MAILS & FREE MOTNH OFFERS! ...it will last a fraction of the time

[mod edit]

What does any of that have to do with what I wrote? I wasnt talking about the NGE switch or TOR.

• ZorgoZorgo Member UncommonPosts: 2,254

[mod edit]

What does any of that have to do with what I wrote? I wasnt talking about the NGE switch or TOR.

Not only does it have nothing to do with what you wrote, he is still under the hardcore fan delusion that subs weren't plummeting prior to the nge/cu. I was there. The  population was falling without the NGE/CU. They had to do something. Unfortunately they did the wrong thing. And the freefall continued and sped up...making a game, like you said, which was not worth the liscence renewal.

• waynejr2waynejr2 Member EpicPosts: 7,769

[mod edit]

so they sold 1,000,000 boxes and retained 300,000 losing 700,00 long before wow.  Don't blame wow for that.  This is why we can't get honest dicussions on the subjects from the disgruntled swgers, they just can't be honest about those number. ever.

http://www.youhaventlived.com/qblog/2010/QBlog190810A.html  

Epic Music:   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vAigCvelkhQ&list=PLo9FRw1AkDuQLEz7Gvvaz3ideB2NpFtT1

https://archive.org/details/softwarelibrary_msdos?&sort=-downloads&page=1

Kyleran:  "Now there's the real trick, learning to accept and enjoy a game for what it offers rather than pass on what might be a great playing experience because it lacks a few features you prefer."

John Henry Newman: "A man would do nothing if he waited until he could do it so well that no one could find fault."

FreddyNoNose:  "A good game needs no defense; a bad game has no defense." "Easily digested content is just as easily forgotten."

LacedOpium: "So the question that begs to be asked is, if you are not interested in the game mechanics that define the MMORPG genre, then why are you playing an MMORPG?"

• tollboothtollbooth Member CommonPosts: 298

the fact is they made one of the most innvovative mmo's of all time (argue all you like)

Just being smartass here, but I'm pretty sure anyone that has graduated grade school would be able to argue that point.

• CasualMakerCasualMaker Member UncommonPosts: 862
    Originally posted by Zorgo
    Not only does it have nothing to do with what you wrote, he is still under the hardcore fan delusion that subs weren't plummeting prior to the nge/cu. I was there. The  population was falling without the NGE/CU. They had to do something. Unfortunately they did the wrong thing. And the freefall continued and sped up...making a game, like you said, which was not worth the liscence renewal.

I was there, too. Population was falling before the CU, but not plummeting. The fact is that several big games launched in 2004 and lots of people quit SWG to go check them out. And a lot of those people were starting to get bored and come back when SOE/LA panicked in mid-Jan '05, warping the CURB into the EQ2-in-space version of CU. THEN population plummeted.

• evilastroevilastro Member Posts: 4,270

[mod edit]

My favourite line was "Why would SoE ruin their own game?". Uh.... the same reason they turned Everquest 2 (their own IP) into a World of Warcraft clone. Sony are greedy. They saw how many subscribers Blizzard had and they wanted a piece of that pie.

The get rich quick scheme was to dumb their games down so much that WoW players would convert and play SoE games instead. Didn't quite work out how they wanted.

This is mostly in the past though. They have largely given up any ambition to have as many subscribers as WoW and are going back to diversifying their games / making a niche. The new strategy is to milk their niche playerbase with horrible F2P models.

[mod edit]

My favourite line was "Why would SoE ruin their own game?". Uh.... the same reason they turned Everquest 2 (their own IP) into a World of Warcraft clone. Sony are greedy. They saw how many subscribers Blizzard had and they wanted a piece of that pie.

The get rich quick scheme was to dumb their games down so much that WoW players would convert and play SoE games instead. Didn't quite work out how they wanted.

This is mostly in the past though. They have largely given up any ambition to have as many subscribers as WoW and are going back to diversifying their games / making a niche. The new strategy is to milk their niche playerbase with horrible F2P models.

Wow. I never played EQ2 so I didn't know that SOE was trying to WOW-ify that game as well..I feel bad for the fans of that IP.  This attitude is exactly why I'm glad that I never touched DCUO even though I'm a huge fan of the IP. After the whole debacle with SWG, I just don't have any confidence in that company to run it right.  

• teakboisteakbois Member Posts: 2,154

Wow. I never played EQ2 so I didn't know that SOE was trying to WOW-ify that game as well..I feel bad for the fans of that IP.  This attitude is exactly why I'm glad that I never touched DCUO even though I'm a huge fan of the IP. After the whole debacle with SWG, I just don't have any confidence in that company to run it right.  

They didn't really.  The only big change was that they went from 40/60ish solo/group content while leveling to more like 80/20.  Some of the other changes made to it were bad mechanics (shared exp debt was awful, as was the ridiculous crafting system that required 100s of unfun subcombines).  And unlike SWG changes, these were welcomed by the community as a whole as evidenced by an upswing in subs for a little bit after a rough first year

• Bama1267Bama1267 Member UncommonPosts: 1,822
    Originally posted by Lowcaian
    Originally posted by Bama1267
    Originally posted by Airtaee

The fact that SoE is still operating another Star Wars MMO speaks volumes. One was profitable, one wasnt. Biowares new MMO had nothing to do with it, just coincidental timing.

Keep your facts straight , The clone wars adventures is not a  MMO, is a  browser game. Just a bunch of mini games you can play from your web browser.

SWG was much more profitable than 75% of the mmorpg's still running. A f2p switch  would worked for it as well as DCUo is. But the bad press from NGE and sites like the cave of the "vets" from this page nailed his coffin. The same bad press is killing the SWTOR, sadly this time, SWTOR is 20 times worst than SWG. 

SWG has a good system, economy, innovative ideas, professions not based in the "trinity", explorable worlds...the game was pretty good but too hard to catch for newbies and casuals. SWTOR is just boring

'Was' being the operative term. At the end of its lifetime it was not profitable enough to continue. DCUO was a fresh game, and the IP lease wasnt up for renewal.

SWG was profitable enough to continue. SOE would not have wasted time updating the game near the end otherwise. There was plenty to do in SWG even without updates, so could have easily gotten by with no updates.

SWG > Vanguard

As soon as they announced SWGs shutdown, updates for Vanguard resumed, which they wished they did beforehand, and even now, both servers are rock bottom

Plus the TCG was getting more money

SWTOR will be less profitable than SWG by the end of the year

SWG only got shut down because LA got greedy and wanted all SWG players to play SWTOR, and they would be rolling in enough profits from SWTOR which would make SWG profits negligable. Now it is showing how wrong they are, with the mass rapid fall of SWTOR

Profitable with what? 10k subs? 20k subs? Your insane. :p

Well SWG had at its height around 250-300.000 subs which was great before WoW became the yardstick. After the decline with NGE (yes CU lost them people but not as much as NGE did) there was just a skeleton staff with minor updates so costs were minimal. It still chugged along for  6 more years. SWG cost less to develop a lot less than TOR.

Let's see how much relative profit TOR has in 7 years (assuming they don't put it in maintenance mode like SWG for the last 4 years).

I'm very aware of what it used to have before the game went garbage. The fact that a bunch of players stuck around after that fiasco and did a pay to play beta while they implimented all the features is absolutely rediculous. Every player who stuck around in that game after what happened deserved what they got after they shut it down. Had the players completely abandoned it at the time , they would have been forced to either revert or shut down immediately.

Gettign off that rant though and back to teh 20k sub issue beign profitable ... I highly doubt your assumption of SWTOR being less profitable than SWG either at it's peak or at it's end.  Of course If they don't right the ship soon, it may come to an end sooner than SWG, lol. But I think there are enough lemmings who like Star Wars to stick around and keep it going. Hell, it's not that bad of a game , just not that good of a multiplayer game.

• Moaky07Moaky07 Member Posts: 2,096

I was there, too. Population was falling before the CU, but not plummeting. The fact is that several big games launched in 2004 and lots of people quit SWG to go check them out. And a lot of those people were starting to get bored and come back when SOE/LA panicked in mid-Jan '05, warping the CURB into the EQ2-in-space version of CU. THEN population plummeted.

Cmon

Estimated numbers put it in the range of 200 to 250k. It didnt hold the 300k past the first couple months. A number of those subs were due to folks holding multiple accounts since they could only have 1 character per server.

Even at 250k, by giving LA 30% you are talking about only putting 170k subs in SOE's pocket. They were hauling in 450k with EQ, and they werent sharing the money.

SWG was a major bust before WOW hit. They tried something drastic with CU, and it didnt pan out.

Asking Devs to make AAA sandbox titles is like trying to get fine dining on a McDonalds dollar menu budget.

• ignore_meignore_me Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 1,987

soon. You know what I'm talking about.

Survivor of the great MMORPG Famine of 2011

soon. You know what I'm talking about.

2 days?

Originally posted by Moaky07

Cmon

Estimated numbers put it in the range of 200 to 250k. It didnt hold the 300k past the first couple months. A number of those subs were due to folks holding multiple accounts since they could only have 1 character per server.

Even at 250k, by giving LA 30% you are talking about only putting 170k subs in SOE's pocket. They were hauling in 450k with EQ, and they werent sharing the money.

SWG was a major bust before WOW hit. They tried something drastic with CU, and it didnt pan out.

Ah well, none of the servers seemed that dead though, despite that, until after the NGE.

It took SOE until 2009, about 6 years from launch, to do free transfers with SWG. SWTOR is getting free transfers after only 6 months