Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

SWG returning?

Comments

• CorehavenCorehaven Member UncommonPosts: 1,533
    Originally posted by Gurpslord

Well there we have it, Star Wars 1313, action shooter, Bounty hunter themed star wars game, as many many people suggested it would be.

Who's surprised that it's not SWG?

*crickets*

Sigh.....as I suspected.  I think its going to be more Force Unleashed linear garbage, just with a bounty hunter this time.  I'll pass thanks. 

• ignore_meignore_me Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 1,987

yep console game. This is going to kill SWTOR though. Another single player star wars game out at the same time? it's pure competition for old SWTOR.

Survivor of the great MMORPG Famine of 2011

• superniceguysuperniceguy Member UncommonPosts: 2,278

This is good, now we get this game and SWG gets to return also image

• sarabearrahsarabearrah Member UncommonPosts: 22

Pfffftttt........NOT interested. 

I guess Ill pick up a copy of SWG and play the emulator.

What do you mean SWG gets to return also????????

• XthosXthos Member UncommonPosts: 2,739
    Originally posted by ignore_me

yep console game. This is going to kill SWTOR though. Another single player star wars game out at the same time? it's pure competition for old SWTOR.

Yeah, I was thinking BW has got to be pissed....This isn't going to help them.

• ktanner3ktanner3 Member UncommonPosts: 4,063

Well there we have it, Star Wars 1313, action shooter, Bounty hunter themed star wars game, as many many people suggested it would be.

Who's surprised that it's not SWG?

I'm shocked. SHOCKED I tell you ..

LucasArts is diving into the most dangerous depths of the Star Wars criminal underworld with their newly announced internally developed videogame franchise, Star Wars 1313. Players will take control of a lethal bounty hunter in the never-before-explored expanses of Level 1313, deep below the surface of Coruscant. Using an arsenal of exotic weaponry to hunt down marks, the player must also uncover the truth surrounding a criminal conspiracy in this third-person cinematic action adventure game. It's a bold new take on the Star Wars galaxy, intended for mature audiences.
    Star Wars 1313 emphasizes epic set pieces and fast-paced combat with a mortal, well-equipped hero who cannot rely on supernatural powers to survive his dangerous environment. The game benefits from an integrated development approach that brings together artists from across the entire Lucasfilm organization, including LucasArts, Industrial Light & Magic, Lucasfilm Animation Ltd. and Skywalker Sound.  

Sounds interesting. If they do it like Arkahm Asylum where you get to explore and do side quests then it could be really good. If it's just another Force Unleashed, then no thanks.

Currently Playing: World of Warcraft

• evilastroevilastro Member Posts: 4,270
    Lucasarts and SOE no longer...like each other, at least they didn't then and don't seem to be exactly buddy buddy now.  Why would lucasarts ever court SOE for a SW game ever again?  Aside from that small and hardcore community who would buy into it?  Just putting SOE on the box is almost a huge stigma, remember when DCUO launched?  How many people immediately cried foul because of the publisher?

LucasArts and SoE made another Star Wars MMO long after the NGE debacle. It is called Clone Wars and it is FTP and still being operated by SoE right now. So much for burnt bridges?

The bottom line is that LucasArts do not care who makes a Star Wars game or what quality of game they make, as long as they pay the licensing fee. The only reason SWG died is because SoE didnt think it was profitable enough to renew the license. Not because LucasArts gave a shit what happened to the game or the IP.

Originally posted by Xthos

Why would Bioware be surprised? Its not like Star Wars games are rare. It was only a matter of time before there would be a new one out.

• Tallic234Tallic234 Member UncommonPosts: 27
    Originally posted by evilastro
    Lucasarts and SOE no longer...like each other, at least they didn't then and don't seem to be exactly buddy buddy now.  Why would lucasarts ever court SOE for a SW game ever again?  Aside from that small and hardcore community who would buy into it?  Just putting SOE on the box is almost a huge stigma, remember when DCUO launched?  How many people immediately cried foul because of the publisher?

LucasArts and SoE made another Star Wars MMO long after the NGE debacle. It is called Clone Wars and it is FTP and still being operated by SoE right now. So much for burnt bridges?

The bottom line is that LucasArts do not care who makes a Star Wars game or what quality of game they make, as long as they pay the licensing fee. The only reason SWG died is because SoE didnt think it was profitable enough to renew the license. Not because LucasArts gave a shit what happened to the game or the IP.

Your comment is pure speculation on why SWG died. I could say, Bioware came to LucasArts with a better offer of money for a new game than SOE had. I could say LucasArts made Soe change the SWG game to the NGE becuase they could since they hold the rights to the IP. Those that know aren't telling,

I say competition is always good. It forces the current game company to keep adding content and not sit on their arse. Current games may copy some new idea that another game uses,  but at least it it gives players more  options. 

• BartDaCatBartDaCat Member UncommonPosts: 813

nothing breeds hatred and fury like an SWG thread :)

So true.

Originally posted by Tallic234

Your comment is pure speculation on why SWG died. I could say, Bioware came to LucasArts with a better offer of money for a new game than SOE had. I could say LucasArts made Soe change the SWG game to the NGE becuase they could since they hold the rights to the IP. Those that know aren't telling,

I say competition is always good. It forces the current game company to keep adding content and not sit on their arse. Current games may copy some new idea that another game uses,  but at least it it gives players more  options. 

The fact that SoE is still operating another Star Wars MMO speaks volumes. One was profitable, one wasnt. Biowares new MMO had nothing to do with it, just coincidental timing.

• AirtaeeAirtaee Member UncommonPosts: 84

The fact that SoE is still operating another Star Wars MMO speaks volumes. One was profitable, one wasnt. Biowares new MMO had nothing to do with it, just coincidental timing.

Keep your facts straight , The clone wars adventures is not a  MMO, is a  browser game. Just a bunch of mini games you can play from your web browser.

SWG was much more profitable than 75% of the mmorpg's still running. A f2p switch  would worked for it as well as DCUo is. But the bad press from NGE and sites like the cave of the "vets" from this page nailed his coffin. The same bad press is killing the SWTOR, sadly this time, SWTOR is 20 times worst than SWG. 

SWG has a good system, economy, innovative ideas, professions not based in the "trinity", explorable worlds...the game was pretty good but too hard to catch for newbies and casuals. SWTOR is just boring

• MephsterMephster Member Posts: 1,188

I want a Star Wars: Galactic Battlegrounds 2! That original was one of the best rts games ever.

Grim Dawn, the next great action rpg!

http://www.grimdawn.com/

I emailed today LA  about SWG coming back, and they first of all replied giving me a link to non-US support as I was emailing from UK, and then I replied back saying the version of SWG I bought was US as imported the collectors edition which was not available to the UK, and they then responded saying they have no information on future releases.

That last reply hints that SWG is being looked at coming back image

Email them at [email protected] and see what reply they give you, when you ask them if they can bring back SWG.

• D_TOXD_TOX Member UncommonPosts: 269
    Originally posted by superniceguy

I emailed today LA  about SWG coming back, and they first of all replied giving me a link to non-US support as I was emailing from UK, and then I replied back saying the version of SWG I bought was US as imported the collectors edition which was not available to the UK, and they then responded saying they have no information on future releases.

Email them at [email protected] and see what reply they give you, when you ask them if they can bring back SWG.

First of all, i could understand you hoping and getting excited for some kind of miracle pre-cu re-release, but getting this excited and delusional over the re-release of that utter crap they made SWG post-nge (which i guarantee wont happen)? You cray. 

Originally posted by Xthos

Why would Bioware be surprised? Its not like Star Wars games are rare. It was only a matter of time before there would be a new one out.

I agree. I fail to see why Bioware would care. A new Star Wars game being released is hardly a surprise these days. They usually do one or two a year and they've been doing that for as long as I can remember.

Originally posted by Mephster

I want a Star Wars: Galactic Battlegrounds 2! That original was one of the best rts games ever.

That was loads of fun. Even though it was just  Age Of Kings with a Star Wars skin slapped on, I still had hundreds of hours of fun playing around with different scenarios and creating my own battles. Slaughtering hordes of Gungans never got old ;)

Originally posted by D_TOX

First of all, i could understand you hoping and getting excited for some kind of miracle pre-cu re-release, but getting this excited and delusional over the re-release of that utter crap they made SWG post-nge (which i guarantee wont happen)? You cray. 

The game as of Dec 15th 2011 was far from crap. If you are talking about the NGE as of 2005 then I agree with you.

SOE took the game leaps and bounds over the 6 years, and in the end it was far better than pre-CU, but the game would have been better again if there was not the CU and NGE changes and they added the content on pre-CU.

• SlampigSlampig Member UncommonPosts: 2,342

http://www.ingame.msnbc.msn.com/technology/ingame/lucasarts-reveals-dark-mature-star-wars-game-807509

Oh...boohoo...

This was not the "return" you were looking for...

That Guild Wars 2 login screen knocked up my wife. Must be the second coming!

Originally posted by Airtaee

Keep your facts straight , The clone wars adventures is not a  MMO, is a  browser game. Just a bunch of mini games you can play from your web browser.

SWG was much more profitable than 75% of the mmorpg's still running. A f2p switch  would worked for it as well as DCUo is. But the bad press from NGE and sites like the cave of the "vets" from this page nailed his coffin. The same bad press is killing the SWTOR, sadly this time, SWTOR is 20 times worst than SWG. 

SWG has a good system, economy, innovative ideas, professions not based in the "trinity", explorable worlds...the game was pretty good but too hard to catch for newbies and casuals. SWTOR is just boring

'Was' being the operative term. At the end of its lifetime it was not profitable enough to continue. DCUO was a fresh game, and the IP lease wasnt up for renewal.

The lease isnt cheap, and SoE didnt think it had the potential earnings to make it a worthwhile investment.

If you look at SoE's history with MMOs, they don't pull the plug until the game is well and truely dead, simply because they like keeping the 'Station Access Pass' looking diverse, even though most of the games on it are terrible. 

• korvasskorvass Member Posts: 616

SNG, you're funny and all, and it's a giggle to read your posts.. but you are completely off your trolley mate! image

There are possibly dozens of reasons SWG won't return. You don't need us to list them, do you?

I mean, even if it -does- return, it will require millions to update all those severely outdated systems.. the net-code, servers, graphics, etc etc ad infinitum..

I yearn for the days of inter-dependency, true player community, player housing, and meaningful crafting.. but c'mon feller, take you're medicine, and let's get you back in that padded little room again. ;)

Originally posted by Airtaee

'Was' being the operative term. At the end of its lifetime it was not profitable enough to continue. DCUO was a fresh game, and the IP lease wasnt up for renewal.

SWG was profitable enough to continue. SOE would not have wasted time updating the game near the end otherwise. There was plenty to do in SWG even without updates, so could have easily gotten by with no updates.

SWG > Vanguard

As soon as they announced SWGs shutdown, updates for Vanguard resumed, which they wished they did beforehand, and even now, both servers are rock bottom

Plus the TCG was getting more money

SWTOR will be less profitable than SWG by the end of the year

SWG only got shut down because LA got greedy and wanted all SWG players to play SWTOR, and they would be rolling in enough profits from SWTOR which would make SWG profits negligable. Now it is showing how wrong they are, with the mass rapid fall of SWTOR

• GreenHellGreenHell Member UncommonPosts: 1,323

I really don't see how anyone can argue against SWG getting shutdown because of ToR. It was pretty obvious that LA at that time did not want 2 SW MMO's. Why they didn't want two is open to specualtion.

• ignore_meignore_me Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 1,987

It's pie in the sky, but what do I have to lose?

I am emailing this address as part af an online campaign for Lucasarts to either make an SWG2, or something like that. The user base of SWG wants a game that will be set in the timeline of the movies, and is like pre-CU SWG. I no longer support SWTOR, and have cancelled my subscriptions to Bioware's game. 

+1 email sent

[email protected]  

Survivor of the great MMORPG Famine of 2011

• korvasskorvass Member Posts: 616
    Originally posted by GreenHell

I really don't see how anyone can argue against SWG getting shutdown because of ToR. It was pretty obvious that LA at that time did not want 2 SW MMO's. Why they didn't want two is open to specualtion.

I dunno, I think it's debatable, actually. Don't forget, we're talking about a company that has released the same movie trilogy, what, in a dozen different versions now? More?

If SWG had still been pulling in big bucks, I am quite certain LA would have had no problem with both being in operation.

But we do not know the terms of the license agreements held by SWG or by EA/BW.

In the end, I think it's probably a combination of things that we will never probably know about.