Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

SWG returning?

Comments

• superniceguysuperniceguy Member UncommonPosts: 2,278
    Originally posted by Gurpslord
    SWG even being mentioned or THOUGHT of by anyone at all when it comes to whatever this announcement is on the 31st.  

I would not say that really.

http://www.swtor.com/community/showthread.php?t=467223

and then people want it to return even if it is not that game, as well.

http://www.mmorpg.com/discussion2.cfm/thread/351396/Since-SWTOR-Is-So-Horrible-Do-You-Think-Theres-a-Chance-for-SWGs-Resurrection.html

http://forums.station.sony.com/station/posts/list.m?topic_id=11500043106

http://www.swtor.com/community/showthread.php?t=464771

http://www.swtor.com/community/showthread.php?t=460475

just for starters, and then there are many others who do not bother to post as it is already posted or just do not think it will happen or be accused of being delusional.

You are no longer being funny, but becoming annoying now.

• GurpslordGurpslord Member Posts: 350
    Originally posted by superniceguy
    SWG even being mentioned or THOUGHT of by anyone at all when it comes to whatever this announcement is on the 31st.  

http://www.mmorpg.com/discussion2.cfm/thread/351396/Since-SWTOR-Is-So-Horrible-Do-You-Think-Theres-a-Chance-for-SWGs-Resurrection.html

just for starters, and then there are many others who do not bother to post as it is already posted or just do not think it will happen or be accused of being delusional.

I wan't intending to be funny, funny is your OP and the fact that you actually believe SWG could somehow be resurected.  Annoying, I guess is in the eyes of the beholder.

I should clarify my intention though, I mean the developers and those responsible for arranging this annoucement on the 31st are not even remotely thinking anything even close to SWG.  What I hope is that this thread stays strong until the actual announcement so that we can all actually discuss what IS going to be thrown at us, not some whimsey about a game that was discontinued and just about universally regarded as one of the biggest MMO mistakes to date.

I wan't intending to be funny, funny is your OP and the fact that you actually believe SWG could somehow be resurected.  Annoying, I guess is in the eyes of the beholder.

I should clarify my intention though, I mean the developers and those responsible for arranging this annoucement on the 31st are not even remotely thinking anything even close to SWG.  What I hope is that this thread stays strong until the actual announcement so that we can all actually discuss what IS going to be thrown at us, not some whimsey about a game that was discontinued and just about universally regarded as one of the biggest MMO mistakes to date.

If you think like that, then why are you in the SWG forums? You are getting rude now

There is no general Star Wars forum, and hoped that a decent discussion became of it, and not bashing (negatively posting against as opposed to constructive critiscm) the idea or SWG in the process.

Have you actually spoken to the devs, and they told you they are not thinking about SWG? The way you say that they are not makes you sound arrogant, and putting "PROBABLY" somewhere in there would make it more accurate. They still could want it to be SWG, even if it is not.

A lot of people still enjoyed SWG, even if there were "mistakes". There will never be another game like SWG again.

If the game released on 31st is not SWG then I guess the thread may as well be locked, as these forums are to discuss SWG.

• CorehavenCorehaven Member UncommonPosts: 1,533

It wont be SWG, as its a new IP.  Period.  Not an mmo either as they would not release another mmo to compete with Swtor.  Having two Star Wars mmos just wont happen.  Thats specifically why SWG shut down to make room for Swtor.  They wont ramp it back up again either, especially if Swtor is still going because again thats the whole reason SWG was shut down in the first place. 

Its probably a bounty hunter game involving Fett.  My hopes are not very high either.  Anything Star Wars these days is very linear.  I had hoped for Battlefield 3 as there were rumors thats in the works, but I dont think its that this time. 

Probably just some console game that might port over to PC.   Some people thought Force Unleashed was good.  I hated it.  I prefer open world games of any kind.  Not linear crap.  I expect more of the same whatever this is.  Probably just featuring Bobba Fett. 

(mod edited)

I'm in this thread responding to your OP actually, it caught my eye on the main page earlier and I responded to it and kept up with it.  You want constructive I'll give it to you.

1: SWG cancelled and closed after essentially loosing any and all but a select hardcore group of subscribers.  I will agree with you that the game was unlike just about anything I can think of, however they destroyed that with trying to make it too much like everything else, thus the company, SOE decided to slap the faces of the loyalists in the hopes of attracting an entirely new playerbase.

2: Lucasarts and SOE no longer...like each other, at least they didn't then and don't seem to be exactly buddy buddy now.  Why would lucasarts ever court SOE for a SW game ever again?  Aside from that small and hardcore community who would buy into it?  Just putting SOE on the box is almost a huge stigma, remember when DCUO launched?  How many people immediately cried foul because of the publisher?

3: Could SWG perhaps brith a sequal from a different developer?  Is it impossible..no.  Probable?  Absolutely not, the tangle of licensing and rights to the name alone would be a sticky miasma of legal crap to battle through and I can't imagine that any company other than a big name could even afford to cut through it.  Thinking about the big names in this genre, EA already dipped their toes in and fouled the water, Blizzard doesn't need to play in someone elses untended backyard.  Can't think of a single company that could or would want to care.

5: I'm sorry if you feel i'm being rude, I'm not intending to be.  I'm not kidding when I say I actually would want this to happen just to see the exuberant joy in the posts of the SWG hardcores.  Joy isn't exactly something MMO's and MMO forums tend to breed these days.  I also wasn't kidding when I say I'll eat my hat as publicly as possible if it turns out to be a SWG revelation, and I will in fact purchase you a sub if it comes to pass.

There's just so many things stacked against the possibility of a SWG return that it's amost feeble to hope for such a thing and maybe in my bitterness seeing someone push so starkly against what I deem the reality of it, irks me.  I understand that it's opinion on my part, but arguing opinion is like arguing religion.

There already a Star Wars MMO out there, it's not what you wanted and I'm sorry.  It's certainly not what I hoped for and time will tell wether or not that game limps along on life support, turns around and thrives or just flat out sinks and is unplugged. I can't imagine LA being all to interested in throwing another SW game into the MMO mix at this point, why compete with yourself?

Originally posted by Corehaven

It wont be SWG, as its a new IP.  Period.  Not an mmo either as they would not release another mmo to compete with Swtor.  Having two Star Wars mmos just wont happen.  Thats specifically why SWG shut down to make room for Swtor.  They wont ramp it back up again either, especially if Swtor is still going because again thats the whole reason SWG was shut down in the first place. 

Its probably a bounty hunter game involving Fett.  My hopes are not very high either.  Anything Star Wars these days is very linear.  I had hoped for Battlefield 3 as there were rumors thats in the works, but I dont think its that this time. 

Probably just some console game that might port over to PC.   Some people thought Force Unleashed was good.  I hated it.  I prefer open world games of any kind.  Not linear crap.  I expect more of the same whatever this is.  Probably just featuring Bobba Fett. 

It won't be Battefront 3 if it is meant to be a new franchise

SWG coming back (although probably not for May 31st) all depends on how much SWTOR is losing them and how much money SWG was making them near the end. I doubt they had in mind when they shut down SWG that SWTOR would fail as much as it did, so quick. If SWTOR sustained its numbers, and no layoffs etc, for at least a year, then SWG would be dead and buried, and the threads I linked to above would not exist, and nor would this one.

If EA / Bioware were able to aquire the code for SWG, and run it F2P without much effort, but if you sub to SWTOR then would be able to play SWG VIP, I would sub to SWTOR constantly then, and so would most people, as will have the best of both worlds. SWTOR has the stories and questing, SWG has the end game, and then go back to SWTOR when they add more content. Otherwise SWTOR has the potential to go down to nothing.

SWG coming back (although probably not for May 31st) all depends on how much SWTOR is losing them and how much money SWG was making them near the end. I doubt they had in mind when they shut down SWG that SWTOR would fail as much as it did, so quick. If SWTOR sustained its numbers, and no layoffs etc, for at least a year, then SWG would be dead and buried, and the threads I linked to above would not exist, and nor would this one.

If EA / Bioware were able to aquire the code for SWG, and run it F2P without much effort, but if you sub to SWTOR then would be able to play SWG VIP, I would sub to SWTOR constantly then, and so would most people, as will have the best of both worlds. SWTOR has the stories and questing, SWG has the end game, and then go back to SWTOR when they add more content. Otherwise SWTOR has the potential to go down to nothing.

Couple of things here, in a lot of those posts you linked there seems to be only a small handful of people saying they'd want it back and an overwhemling amount of people trashing on the very idea, I wouldn't hold to those links as saviors of your concept.

Now, I left SWG a few months after Kashyyk came into existence, so please remind me, what endgame are you talking about?  To me the games start and end all were sorta the same, the game was what you, the player, made out of it.  That's my memories of the game, at least my good ones..

• KyBoKyBo Member UncommonPosts: 140

There will be no official return of SWG.  Sony will never re-open the game, nor would LucasArts allow that to happen.  Their licensing agreement for SWG ended in 2011, and neither party will have an interest in revisiting that embarrassment.  This new project has been rumored to have something to do with Boba Fett, but nothing really concrete has surfaced.  What very little has leaked out has given no indication that it's an MMO.

Whatever the game is, the one thing you can be absolutely certain of, is that it will NOT be the return of SWG. 

Period, end of story.

• kartoolkartool Member UncommonPosts: 520
    Originally posted by fascism

its x-wing HD

I'd play the hell out of that.

• ignore_meignore_me Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 1,987

following the trend, the next SW MMO will have just one class, one weapon, and will be a lobby game with micro transaction chat where you pay for each player on your friends list. You have to use their name for your toon too unless you pay extra.

Survivor of the great MMORPG Famine of 2011

• garretthgarretth Member UncommonPosts: 343

Great posts.   I'm enjoying myself immensely!

Couple of things here, in a lot of those posts you linked there seems to be only a small handful of people saying they'd want it back and an overwhemling amount of people trashing on the very idea, I wouldn't hold to those links as saviors of your concept.

Now, I left SWG a few months after Kashyyk came into existence, so please remind me, what endgame are you talking about?  To me the games start and end all were sorta the same, the game was what you, the player, made out of it.  That's my memories of the game, at least my good ones..

Saying "0% chance" to its return, is not the same as not wanting it back. There are many players who want it back, and even more now after seeing SWTOR. A lot of people probably did not bother with SWG with SWTOR on the horizon - what is the point spending time on a MMO with a bad rep when soon one will be released that is bound to be awesome? Now it is released many do not think SWTOR is that awesome, and think even SWG NGE is better. Many people want it back, they just do not believe it will come back.

If SWG can get 4 full servers, this time last year, in May/June when before only had 1 full server, and sustain it for a solid 40 days from the free 45 days before the shutdown announcement was made (the only thing that killed the population was the shutdown announcement and people never had the chance to prove if they would sub to it after the free time was over), and that was from people who still trusted SOE with their information and was only current/past SOE/SWG customers, then imagine the interest if it went F2P. Also that was then when SWTOR was not known, and it was all filled with hope and excitement.

The end game was crafting, resource gathering, space, BM, Player Cities / Housing, Storyteller, Chronicles, the sandbox nature, just exploring the worlds is satisifying, helping others, entertaining in a cantina, theme parks and then the other stuff that SWTOR has similar - heroics, invasions, battlegrounds, create more characters, dailies in mission terminals or theme parks or seasonal events

• ktanner3ktanner3 Member UncommonPosts: 4,063

This is on the official Star Wars Facebook page

____________________________________________________________________________

Riddle:

What is something that will be announced by Spike, fully unveiled at the E3 Expo, and has to do with Star Wars gaming?

The answer to the riddle will be yours - tune into Spike this May 31st at 10pm PST.  

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I have no idea what it is going to be, but I do think it will be something in the original trilogy timeline. My hope is for it to be somthing on the level of Arkahm City or Skyrem.

Currently Playing: World of Warcraft

• hipiaphipiap Member UncommonPosts: 393
    Originally posted by JeroKane

We will find out on Thursday May 31st :)

http://www.spike.com/press/2012/05/25/spike-tv-launches-into-hyperspace-with-the-world-premire-of-the-next-big-star-wars-game-franchise/

"RETURN TO A GALAXY FAR, FAR AWAY AS SPIKE TV LAUNCHES INTO HYPERSPACE WITH THE WORLD PREMIRE OF THE NEXT BIG “STAR WARSTM” GAME FRANCHISE"

The key bit that hints that it is SWG is the "Return to a galaxy Far, Far Away"

What other SW game has gone away to be able to return? SWG is the only one I can think of.

Maybe you might actually want to read your own link you posted in your OP lol.

Then reread your bolded sentence again. Carefully.

/end thread

That is what they called the NGE for SWG in 2005

It could be SWG as F2P.

I'd love it, and my wife would hate it if SW:G came back either p2p or f2p...

But I tell you this...

If it was the SW:G we knew from November 2011.......I want my accounts back.

1 billion credits

Musti Bunker full of Aurllian Pre-CU relics. Dath Prison Painting. Duck in Kashiro (RLC Drop) painting.  All my high wuality resources. My Elder Ranger Hipiap and my Master Engineer Irish and my Elder Dancer Harlan.

And I would want my 56k SOE SW:G forum posts and posting ability back on all 4 of my Jedimonkeylizard forum accounts.

I'd want the TCG back (it was fun to play, but I wasn't spending money on it anymore) as well...and all my cards.

And I miss it still...even though I'm playing pre-CU still.  Daym I miss my X-Wing.

MMO History: 2528 days in SW:G

• sarabearrahsarabearrah Member UncommonPosts: 22

I too miss my decorated guild hall.   I was watching a Star Wars episode the other day and saw Jabba's wind chime and thought to myself I had one of those in my place.

I am open to whatever comes out as long as it is "true" Star Wars.  SWG was not only a SW fans delight but a great game with all its other features.  I understand SWTOR is set BBY but there just wasn't anything in there that kept my attention like SWG did.   My place was just North of Theed and nothing was nicer than looking out and seeing the great waterfalls.

• DavynelordDavynelord Member Posts: 122
    Originally posted by sarabearrah

I too miss my decorated guild hall.   I was watching a Star Wars episode the other day and saw Jabba's wind chime and thought to myself I had one of those in my place.

I am open to whatever comes out as long as it is "true" Star Wars.  SWG was not only a SW fans delight but a great game with all its other features.  I understand SWTOR is set BBY but there just wasn't anything in there that kept my attention like SWG did.   My place was just North of Theed and nothing was nicer than looking out and seeing the great waterfalls.

I had a large house far east of theed, right above the waterfalls....theed was indeed the most beautiful planet in SWG in my opinion...

I'm just sorry that SOE destroyed one of the best MMO's ever (at least from a star wars fan point of view)....SWG really encompassed what living in the star wars universe would really be like....and no game has recreated that feeling yet for me.   When I played SWG It truly was the only game that made me want to become a role player....and I'm not a role player at heart at all, yet I did role play a heck of a lot in SWG because when I logged in, I felt like I was in a galaxy far far away.

in my opinion, if they want to make or will make a new star wars MMO, they should look back at what made SWG the great game it was....the MMO's of today really lack immersion and making the player feel like they are escaping real life...instead, we leave one job only to log into a game that feels like a second job...forcing us to grind or buy from items shops in which the only real goal is to get us to end-game PVP.

All I'm saying is SWG was the one game that I could log onto and do basically nothing in terms of fighting or such and actually enjoy myself just as much as if I were pvping.    It was really cool to go to the cantina and it felt like a real pub where you chatted with players, enjoyed peoples company, tip the dancers, have a drink...then whisk off to battle some storm troopers and then jump into space an take out some fighters...and multiplayer ships where awesome...what game has the element where you take a team on a cruiser and have everyone operate different systems....it was so cool to have one person fly and others shoot turrets at the targets....

Just saying, SWG was hands down better than people actaully realize...we took that game for granted because we were too busy trying to make SWG 100% perfect (often wanted it to be 100% canon) that we failed to see it was by far the best you can get in an MMO....I'd trade every game of today for another Non-CU, Non-NGE SWG...

Originally posted by Davynelord

I had a large house far east of theed, right above the waterfalls....theed was indeed the most beautiful planet in SWG in my opinion...

I'm just sorry that SOE destroyed one of the best MMO's ever (at least from a star wars fan point of view)....SWG really encompassed what living in the star wars universe would really be like....and no game has recreated that feeling yet for me.   When I played SWG It truly was the only game that made me want to become a role player....and I'm not a role player at heart at all, yet I did role play a heck of a lot in SWG because when I logged in, I felt like I was in a galaxy far far away.

in my opinion, if they want to make or will make a new star wars MMO, they should look back at what made SWG the great game it was....the MMO's of today really lack immersion and making the player feel like they are escaping real life...instead, we leave one job only to log into a game that feels like a second job...forcing us to grind or buy from items shops in which the only real goal is to get us to end-game PVP.

All I'm saying is SWG was the one game that I could log onto and do basically nothing in terms of fighting or such and actually enjoy myself just as much as if I were pvping.    It was really cool to go to the cantina and it felt like a real pub where you chatted with players, enjoyed peoples company, tip the dancers, have a drink...then whisk off to battle some storm troopers and then jump into space an take out some fighters...and multiplayer ships where awesome...what game has the element where you take a team on a cruiser and have everyone operate different systems....it was so cool to have one person fly and others shoot turrets at the targets....

Just saying, SWG was hands down better than people actaully realize...we took that game for granted because we were too busy trying to make SWG 100% perfect (often wanted it to be 100% canon) that we failed to see it was by far the best you can get in an MMO....I'd trade every game of today for another Non-CU, Non-NGE SWG...

EXACTLY !!!

I want an MMO sandbox all about Star Wars ( from the movie timeline)  with ALL the things SWG had but all new. 

I used to log into SWG and at times just reply to customers questions about crafting an item for them, or talking to people in my store, or just plain chatting with people at the bazzar.   NO pressure to do missions or anything else in the game. Check how my harvesters were doing, check how my incubator was doing, maybe go out and wack some animals for DNA or items for crafting for the incubation process.

NOTHING was as fun as having that transmission come over in chat that Vaders ship was about to land (during a GCW) seeing his ship glide in and land then all those L100/110 guards exit,  then, there he was..... VADER !!!

Being a Rebel General I did what I could to wack the guards....but Vader was immune.

How many "other" games had Luke Skywalker thank you for helping him fight the rebellion ( he was sometimes sighted in Anchorhead).

And how about taking off from your houses rooftop in your X wing, flying around for a bit, then landing anywhere you want. THAT was fun.

I also dearly miss the special events like Ewok Festival of Love, Wookie Life Day and my personal fave the Galactic Moon Festival.

SIGHS........

• ThorkuneThorkune Member UncommonPosts: 1,969
    Originally posted by Davynelord

EXACTLY !!!

I want an MMO sandbox all about Star Wars ( from the movie timeline)  with ALL the things SWG had but all new. 

I used to log into SWG and at times just reply to customers questions about crafting an item for them, or talking to people in my store, or just plain chatting with people at the bazzar.   NO pressure to do missions or anything else in the game. Check how my harvesters were doing, check how my incubator was doing, maybe go out and wack some animals for DNA or items for crafting for the incubation process.

NOTHING was as fun as having that transmission come over in chat that Vaders ship was about to land (during a GCW) seeing his ship glide in and land then all those L100/110 guards exit,  then, there he was..... VADER !!!

Being a Rebel General I did what I could to wack the guards....but Vader was immune.

How many "other" games had Luke Skywalker thank you for helping him fight the rebellion ( he was sometimes sighted in Anchorhead).

And how about taking off from your houses rooftop in your X wing, flying around for a bit, then landing anywhere you want. THAT was fun.

I also dearly miss the special events like Ewok Festival of Love, Wookie Life Day and my personal fave the Galactic Moon Festival.

SIGHS........

I used to spend hours on end checking my harvesters and factories. Crafting was a passion of mine in that game. I also loved decorating my house with the many trophies and rare items that I had. I once had a museum/zoo on Lok. I played on Tarquinas server and people would visit it all of the time.  I used those craftable end tables and staves for cages in the lower rooms in my guild hall. I had an untuned sunriders, endor helmet, Mando armor, turret, bacta tank, etc... on display.

And...I used to love it when Vader would land in Coronet. I would /slap him and he would force choke me.

You have made it a sad day for me now...

• futnatusfutnatus Member Posts: 193
    Originally posted by Kabaal

Endor: The Furball Saga

Starring everyones favourite vampire Ewoks, Ella and Edward. Get ready to embark on a galactic adventure of a scale never seen before.

Coming to a browser near you Soon™

I would kill someone.

• DrannyDranny Member UncommonPosts: 279
    So what was it or is it not be revealed yet.?
    Originally posted by futnatus
    Originally posted by Kabaal

Endor: The Furball Saga

Starring everyones favourite vampire Ewoks, Ella and Edward. Get ready to embark on a galactic adventure of a scale never seen before.

Coming to a browser near you Soon™

I would kill someone.

I would get Sarah Michelle and Eliza Dushku and Kristie Swanson...and we would drive to Skywalker Ranch...

Never thought I'd see someone post they miss ELF and Dr Love and no GMF in the future.

• ignore_meignore_me Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 1,987

We will find out on Thursday May 31st :)

http://www.spike.com/press/2012/05/25/spike-tv-launches-into-hyperspace-with-the-world-premire-of-the-next-big-star-wars-game-franchise/

"RETURN TO A GALAXY FAR, FAR AWAY AS SPIKE TV LAUNCHES INTO HYPERSPACE WITH THE WORLD PREMIRE OF THE NEXT BIG “STAR WARSTM” GAME FRANCHISE"

The key bit that hints that it is SWG is the "Return to a galaxy Far, Far Away"

What other SW game has gone away to be able to return? SWG is the only one I can think of.

What time May 31st?

Survivor of the great MMORPG Famine of 2011

Spike TV Gametrailers it is on at 1am tonite in my location on directv

Well there we have it, Star Wars 1313, action shooter, Bounty hunter themed star wars game, as many many people suggested it would be.

Who's surprised that it's not SWG?

*crickets*