Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

worth coming back as a miner/orca flyer

Comments

• TdogSkalTdogSkal Member UncommonPosts: 1,244
    Originally posted by BigCountry

You should never stop playing eve. Always have a pilot in training :D

Come back and join a large corp/alliance.

Get our of high sec and play in 0.0. That's where the game really begins :D

This is why EVE is NOT a Sandbox.  It has "End Game" just like every other MMO on the market.

EvE Vet's just like to keep saying it over and over again but EvE has sandbox elements but it is NOT a Sandbox.

High Sec is less safe then 0.0 and you would know this if you ever played in 0.0.   I carebear more in 0.0 space then high sec.  I avoid low sec at all cost.

Sooner or Later

• DerrosDerros Member UncommonPosts: 1,216

I only recently started playing eve, right now im mining, working my way to a hulk (in a retriever now).  I got ganked once, my fault, I was being scouted by a tengu who bumped me, I was inexperienced and kept mining in the same area.  About 15 mins later a catalyst suiside ganks me.  I learned from my mistake, I now now a little bit more what to watch for, and I stopped mining in such a high traffic area (seriously 30+ large containers at every belt). 

Its really not that bad, just avoid the high traffic mining areas around trade hubs like amarr and Jita, go a few jumps out.

• CalfisCalfis Member UncommonPosts: 381
    Originally posted by TdogSkal

This is why EVE is NOT a Sandbox.  It has "End Game" just like every other MMO on the market.

EvE Vet's just like to keep saying it over and over again but EvE has sandbox elements but it is NOT a Sandbox.

High Sec is less safe then 0.0 and you would know this if you ever played in 0.0.   I carebear more in 0.0 space then high sec.  I avoid low sec at all cost.

Actually the 0.0 end game is not really an "ending" since most players continue to "live" in 0.0 and daily politics change etc. its more of a virtual world than anything else so its not an end game in the traditional sense since player driven content makes people stay.

• LoktofeitLoktofeit Member RarePosts: 14,247

What you seem to consider 'end game' can be done from Day One by any player so that's some really odd logic there. Or are you under the impression that people have to grind high and low sec, get to x SP and have y gear before they get to 'end game'?

There isn't a "right" or "wrong" way to play, if you want to use a screwdriver to put nails into wood, have at it, simply don't complain when the guy next to you with the hammer is doing it much better and easier. - Allein
    "Graphics are often supplied by Engines that (some) MMORPG's are built in" - Spuffyre

• dave6660dave6660 Member UncommonPosts: 2,699

I didn't get the memo that 0.0 was "end game".  I tried the whole large alliance thing twice and didn't like it.  Low sec is my home and piracy is my profession.

But yes in some cases high sec is less safe then sov 0.0.  Which is why I don't understand why people insist on staying in high sec.  There are many dead end pockets of low and null sec that see almost no traffic and would be a miners and ratters dream.  Put eyes at choke point entrance and you're safe.

“There are certain queer times and occasions in this strange mixed affair we call life when a man takes this whole universe for a vast practical joke, though the wit thereof he but dimly discerns, and more than suspects that the joke is at nobody's expense but his own.”
    -- Herman Melville

• dave6660dave6660 Member UncommonPosts: 2,699
    Originally posted by Derros

I only recently started playing eve, right now im mining, working my way to a hulk (in a retriever now).  I got ganked once, my fault, I was being scouted by a tengu who bumped me, I was inexperienced and kept mining in the same area.  About 15 mins later a catalyst suiside ganks me.  I learned from my mistake, I now now a little bit more what to watch for, and I stopped mining in such a high traffic area (seriously 30+ large containers at every belt). 

Its really not that bad, just avoid the high traffic mining areas around trade hubs like amarr and Jita, go a few jumps out.

We have a winner!  Nice to see players who actually learn from their mistakes and take corrective action.  You'll do fine in Eve.

“There are certain queer times and occasions in this strange mixed affair we call life when a man takes this whole universe for a vast practical joke, though the wit thereof he but dimly discerns, and more than suspects that the joke is at nobody's expense but his own.”
    -- Herman Melville

• SpottyGekkoSpottyGekko Member EpicPosts: 6,916

This is not the first "Hulkageddon" organised in EVE, and I doubt it will be the last. However, I seem to recall from previous years that CCP tended to tighten-up things in hisec after each wave of suicide ganking. But those changes were always subtle and CCP-slow, never a knee-jerk reaction.

Hisec is a very crowded place, a good 75% of online pilots can be found there at any time of day. But it also has quiet areas where risk-management is quite easy. Avoiding high-traffic areas is always recommended, because suicide gankers favour the areas where there are an abundance of targets. It's impossible to judge the threat level when there's 50 people in local all the time, but when there's only 5 or 10 it becomes feasible.

If you choose to play EVE solo, you are choosing the hard road. It's entirely possible, but it will take a lot more effort than if you joined up with a corp. 

Originally posted by SpottyGekko

If you choose to play EVE solo, you are choosing the hard road. It's entirely possible, but it will take a lot more effort than if you joined up with a corp. 

According to our last survey,  a lot of EVE players seem to like travelling the hard road.

There isn't a "right" or "wrong" way to play, if you want to use a screwdriver to put nails into wood, have at it, simply don't complain when the guy next to you with the hammer is doing it much better and easier. - Allein
    "Graphics are often supplied by Engines that (some) MMORPG's are built in" - Spuffyre

• IkedaIkeda Member RarePosts: 2,751

That's it.. downloading now.  You guys have suckered me to give it another chance.  I don't remember what my account has on it... I'm pretty sure it was a Hulk or two, a battleship or 2, and a peppering of smaller ships.  Who remembers now.

Is there a good welcome back primer?  I'd hate to lose a GOOD ship trying to remember non-n00bness :-)

• BigCountryBigCountry Member Posts: 478

There is no end game in eve. I never said there was.

It's 100% sandbox once you get in 0.0 because it's entirely controlled and fought/defended over by play groups (corps/alliances). Your not themeparking anymore at that point, your building your own content/story lines according to how to respond/react to other players in the same area. To argue that's not sandbox would be pretty stupid.

BigCountry | Head Hunters | www.wefarmpeople.com

• RobsolfRobsolf Member RarePosts: 4,607
    Originally posted by Loktofeit

According to our last survey,  a lot of EVE players seem to like travelling the hard road.

Eeenteresting... I wish they had actually data mined for some of that info rather than doing a survey, though.

No surprise there, hehe

Surviving and "thriving" in EVE as a solo player is hugely satisfying. At least it was for me... and I've racked-up 6 years in EVE, at least 50% of which was as a solo player. I'm currently not subbed to EVE, but that's just because I like taking a break from time to time. I will be back image

• CalfisCalfis Member UncommonPosts: 381

It's 100% sandbox once you get in 0.0 because it's entirely controlled and fought/defended over by play groups (corps/alliances). Your not themeparking anymore at that point, your building your own content/story lines according to how to respond/react to other players in the same area. To argue that's not sandbox would be pretty stupid.

Its probably ignorance rather than stupidity, if they haven't spent a large amount of time in the player driven part of the game then they probably do think there's no sandbox.

Originally posted by Robsolf

Eeenteresting... I wish they had actually data mined for some of that info rather than doing a survey, though.

Hit up CCP Diagoras on Twitter for that stuff. ;)

What you seem to consider 'end game' can be done from Day One by any player so that's some really odd logic there. Or are you under the impression that people have to grind high and low sec, get to x SP and have y gear before they get to 'end game'?

Most of the alliances out in Null require a certain amount of SP.  Sure you can go there on day one but how long are you going to last?

I never said 0.0 was end game, the post I quoted did.  By saying the game "Really starts once you live in O.O" is the same thing as "when you hit max level is when the real game starts"

Sooner or Later

Originally posted by Calfis

Its probably ignorance rather than stupidity, if they haven't spent a large amount of time in the player driven part of the game then they probably do think there's no sandbox.

To say EvE is a sandbox is pretty stupid.  Even in 0.0 you have restrictions on what you can put on what ship, what faction you have to do certian missions.  There are restrictions which means its not a true sandbox.

I know you guys want it to be a Sandbox so bad but its not, sorry but it is not a Sandbox.  It does have the Sandbox Elements and a lot of them but its not a sandbox.

If it was a Sandbox, I could mount guns on a mining ship.

A Sandbox game allows a player to play the game the way they want when they want.  That is not the Case in EVE.  Currently PvPers are defining the game play for all other play styles.

I live in 0.0, it is way safer then low sec and high sec.  Low being the most dangerous and High sec being second.

I am a carebear that never leaves 0.0.  I rarely PvP unless called too and spend my time scanning down sites and anom's.

Sooner or Later

• jpnzjpnz Member Posts: 3,529

To say EvE is a sandbox is pretty stupid.  Even in 0.0 you have restrictions on what you can put on what ship, what faction you have to do certian missions.  There are restrictions which means its not a true sandbox.

I know you guys want it to be a Sandbox so bad but its not, sorry but it is not a Sandbox.  It does have the Sandbox Elements and a lot of them but its not a sandbox.

A Sandbox game allows a player to play the game the way they want when they want.  That is not the Case in EVE.  Currently PvPers are defining the game play for all other play styles.

I live in 0.0, it is way safer then low sec and high sec.  Low being the most dangerous and High sec being second.

I am a carebear that never leaves 0.0.  I rarely PvP unless called too and spend my time scanning down sites and anom's.

You want to mount guns on a mining ship but since you can not, EVE is not a sandbox. Okay~~~~

Hmm... Can I mount a gattling gun on a F22-Raptor? No?!

Does that mean REAL-LIFE isn't a sandbox? o_O

PvPers are trying to make it so that you play the game as they want it.

That's what a sandbox is. Don't like it? Tough. Or fight back.

Gdemami -
    Informing people about your thoughts and impressions is not a review, it's a blog.

Originally posted by jpnz

You want to mount guns on a mining ship but since you can not, EVE is not a sandbox. Okay~~~~

Hmm... Can I mount a gattling gun on a F22-Raptor? No?!

Does that mean REAL-LIFE isn't a sandbox? o_O

PvPers are trying to make it so that you play the game as they want it.

That's what a sandbox is. Don't like it? Tough. Or fight back.

No if pvpers are trying to control how others play the game thats not what a sandbox is, a Sandbox is a game that allows any player to play how they want when they want. 

Entropia Universe is a Sandbox.   EvE is not but has Sandbox Elements and a ton of them but it is not a sandbox.

Yes you can mount a gatting gun on a F22 Raptor if you wanted too and in fact the do have them. M61A2 20-mm Cannon is the standard gun installed on the F22 raptor. The M61A2 is a Gatling-style rotary cannon.

If there are restrictions put in place to limit what players can do, it cannot be a Sandbox game.

Sooner or Later

• jpnzjpnz Member Posts: 3,529

No if pvpers are trying to control how others play the game thats not what a sandbox is, a Sandbox is a game that allows any player to play how they want when they want. 

Entropia Universe is a Sandbox.   EvE is not but has Sandbox Elements and a ton of them but it is not a sandbox.

Yes you can mount a gatting gun on a F22 Raptor if you wanted too and in fact the do have them. M61A2 20-mm Cannon is the standard gun installed on the F22 raptor. The M61A2 is a Gatling-style rotary cannon.

If there are restrictions put in place to limit what players can do, it cannot be a Sandbox game.

So in Entropia Universe, I can't try to play the game where I try to force others to do something? That's how I want to play as.

So by your logic, Entropia Universe isn't a sandbox since the game isn't allowing me to play the game as I want.

Gdemami -
    Informing people about your thoughts and impressions is not a review, it's a blog.

So in Entropia Universe, I can't try to play the game where I try to force others to do something? That's how I want to play as.

So by your logic, Entropia Universe isn't a sandbox since the game isn't allowing me to play the game as I want.

You can play Entropia Universe anyway you want including trying to force others to do something, the thing your are not understanding or choosing to ignore is that the other players can ignore you and keep playing the way they want too.  

In EvE you can stop others from playing the game the way they want too.

Understand the difference?

Also, no come back on the F22 thing?

Sooner or Later

• BossalinieBossalinie Member UncommonPosts: 724

His lack of attention to detail about the gun of the F22 doesn't mean that his point is wrong.

You are basically stating that if that game has some form of aggressive interaction between players which causes one or the other to deviate from his norm is not a sandbox?

I don't know what sandbox you've played in, but I never had a ignore button that prevent other cats that were bigger and badder than I from stomping my castle to the ground.

Originally posted by bossalinie

His lack of attention to detail about the gun of the F22 doesn't mean that his point is wrong.

You are basically stating that if that game has some form of aggressive interaction between players which causes one or the other to deviate from his norm is not a sandbox?

I don't know what sandbox you've played in, but I never had a ignore button that prevent other cats that were bigger and badder than I from stomping my castle to the ground.

Sure you did, nobody forced you to build the castle at the beach, you could have just built it in your back yard in your own sandbox and then nobody would have stomped it into the ground.

EvE does not give you that option, you cannot go play in your own little corner and ignore all others. 

I am saying any game that does not a player to play the game his or her way when he or she wants to is not a true sandbox.

Can we agree their are sandbox Elements in EvE but it is not a full sandbox.

Can you kill stations in high sec?

Can you equip any ship with any mod?

Can you move or destroy system gates?

Can you wipe out pirate factions to the point they never come back?

You can alter certain per defined area's of the game but not every thing in the game.  That is not a Sandbox.  It has sandbox Elements and is the closet thing to a true Sandbox in the MMO market but that does not make it a sandbox.

Sooner or Later

You can play Entropia Universe anyway you want including trying to force others to do something, the thing your are not understanding or choosing to ignore is that the other players can ignore you and keep playing the way they want too.  

In EvE you can stop others from playing the game the way they want too.

Understand the difference?

Also, no come back on the F22 thing?

If your definition of a "sandbox game" is correct, then we will never see a sandbox game. Ever.

In fact, by your definition an actual sandbox is not a sandbox, because if you are allowed to remove all the sand, how can you still call it a sandbox ?

In Entropia, can you modify your weapons any way you want to ? Can you fit weapons to vehicles, and if so, can you fit any weapon in the game to any vehicle ?

The amount of choices in any game will be determined by the complexity of the underlying code, and how the developers decide to "balance" the gameplay. In EVE, that balance is achieved by making mining vessels vulnerable. They are not supposed to be weapons platforms, they are supposed do be protected by other players who are flying weapons platforms.

In RL, military construction vehicles (like bulldozers and front-end loaders) to not mount howitzers, and troop transport trucks aren't fitted with gatling guns, because they are purpose built vehicles, and that purpose is not to fight. Whenever those vehicles are deployed in dangerous areas, they are usually guarded by fighting vehicles.

It's simply not economical to build a single vehicle that can fight AND mine with high efficiency. Any mining company that tries that will go bankrupt. Far easier to protect your industrial assets with dedicated fighting vehicles. It makes perfect sense to me. And that's one of the reasons why I enjoy EVE, because the systems do make sense to me.

• AzureblazeAzureblaze Member UncommonPosts: 130

Sure you did, nobody forced you to build the castle at the beach, you could have just built it in your back yard in your own sandbox and then nobody would have stomped it into the ground.

EvE does not give you that option, you cannot go play in your own little corner and ignore all others. 

I am saying any game that does not a player to play the game his or her way when he or she wants to is not a true sandbox.

You can alter certain per defined area's of the game but not every thing in the game.  That is not a Sandbox.  It has sandbox Elements and is the closet thing to a true Sandbox in the MMO market but that does not make it a sandbox.

Just because you have your own sandbox, doesn't mean someone can't find it and step on whatever you made. IMO what you want is restricting the player that wants to step on your standbox, so you can get your way and he can't get his..which seems to refute your arugment of someone playing the way they want to.

Ah... the old "in order to bake a cake from scratch, you must first create the universe' argument. 

By your logic, no MMO can ever be a true anything because there is always some narrower condition that you will judge it against in order to prove your point. 

You win!