Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Can SWTOR be saved?

Comments

• JoeyMMOJoeyMMO Member UncommonPosts: 1,326
    Originally posted by Zlayer77

No way to save this gargbage and no reason 2. Its an EA game and it needs to die... People working at Bioware need to get fired and their childrean need to starve.

The more Epicly this game fails the better. I have been rooting for its destruction since E3 when it was first announced all those years ago...

You can want EA to fail, TOR to fail epically all you want but wishing the children of EA to starve to death says more about you that it does about EA.

imageimage
  • MyskMysk Member Posts: 982

There has been a lot of good ideas in this thread, some of which I agree with and some of which I don't.  It's not often that I read 90%+ of the posts in a long thread like this.

I could repeat much of what was written here, but instead, I'll just focus on what the primary issue was for me: Game play.

The story was nice, and at one point I even said that I didn't think that I could go back to the basic pop-up dialogue box structure of MMOs.  I meant that at the time, and I do still kind of miss the voice acting; there were some shining moments in the side quests.

The problem for me was that actually playing the game was an incredibly boring experience.  Calling SWTOR's design a "dereitive work" is akin to saying that space is "kind of big".  The story aspects held me long enough to get my character to level 47, and at sometime around that point I simply lost any desire to sign back into the game.

These days I play Tera, and yes, I skip the vast majority of dialogue boxes.  Sometime I read them, though, and find the occasional chuckle.  The point is that while everything else about Tera is incredibly dereitive of past MMOs, at least actually playing the game is fun.  For now.  We'll see about the future when it gets here.

If anything were to "save" SWTOR, it would be... in my opinion:

1:  Make combat interesting.  How and why was this not done from the beginning?  It's the majority of the game.  Removing auto attack while changing nothing else about MMO combat doesn't make it more interesting, it makes it more spammy.

2: Ditch the immense amount of instancing.  This is supposed to be an MMO.  As someone else said, turn them into public quests since they're shared by everyone anyway.

The server populations wouldn't have evaporated if the game had been fun enough to keep the population in the first place.  That's pretty much what it boils down to.  For me, anyway.

• ignore_meignore_me Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 1,987
    Originally posted by CazNeerg
    Originally posted by ignore_me

yeah yeah, only CORPG players should have played SWTOR, anyone else was an asshole ... etc etc. People try games all the time, it's not a crime. There's too much hyperbole and even deception on forums to use those as a guide. You basically have to try things for yourself.

The financial success argument did not save this game, so I'm not sure why that drum keeps getting beaten.

"But it should have worked!"

well it didn't. the theory of WoW clone = success is over, real life exceptions have dashed that little gem. The recipe for success didn't perform.

Your definition of attempting to target gamers also invalidates why other types of MMO players were there at launch, which defeats your known quantity argument about the content of the game. My statement was about SWTOR attempting to live off of the WoW user base. The bigger parasite simply defended its territory and now SWTOR is starving. That's what I was talking about. I wasn't saying it was wrong to try, I was simply pointing out how fail it was.

Lol.  The game already is a financial success.  It could shut down tomorrow, and still be one of the most financially successful MMOs ever.  And I'll rephrase my point in regard to sandboxers; they never should have tried the game *with the expectation that it would satisfy their sandbox craving.*  Having any such belief would require, as I said before, either stupidity or willful ignorance.  By any objective measure of success, TOR is (judging from the point in time of roughly six months after launch) the second most successful MMO ever released (in the US/European markets.)

And none of TOR's problems have anything to do with WoW "defending it's territory."  People who have left TOR haven't done so because of any action taken by the WoW development team.  I mean seriously, how much crossover audience is there between people who thought they might enjoy TOR, and people who think they will enjoy Poke-World of Pandacraft?

I'm going to come your way a bit and admit that a load of money came their way at launch and the sub income is still currently hefty. The trend is not rosy, however, and if you compare it to big brother, SWTOR is small potatoes.

They don't have to do anything at WoW to steal SWTOR players, they already did it when they made and updated the game. The analogy was about competition, and it's obvious who won.

I also think you have a point with FTP reducing expectations.

Survivor of the great MMORPG Famine of 2011

• KarahandrasKarahandras Member UncommonPosts: 1,703

Sandbox "peeps" never should have come in the first place.  Anyone who thought BioWare would make a sandbox friendly game was either stupid or just not paying attention.  And no other game provided the same experience as TOR.  TOR is the first true MMORPG.  Would it have been better at the MMO without the RPG, or the RPG without the MMO?  Probably, but not necessarily. 

And the sandbox approach to an online Star Wars game was already tried.  Commercially speaking, it failed, miserably, no matter what any particular group may believe it's merits as a game to have been.  Compared to SWG, speaking strictly in financial terms, TOR has thus far been a vastly superior product.

As for taking players away from existing games, all games do that.  Nobody targets people who don't play games, so by definition your target market for any game will consist of people who have other games they either are or could be playing.  Which brings us back to the problem of the subscription.  Without the subscription weighing it down, TOR would almost certainly be a lot more active, because nobody would ever have to "quit" the game.  Take breaks, sure, but you would never be in the position of feeling like you needed to cancel a sub because you are going to be playing something else for a while.  Subscriptions are just a bad model for games.  They are bad for player retention, and bad for the quality of content in updates.  

The best steps that could be taken to improve the player experience in TOR would be the transition to mega-servers (in combination with a massive increase in the number of characters the player can make per server, so you don't have to level multiple legacies) and the elimination of a monthly subscription in favor of paying for update content as it becomes available, and only if you want that particular content.

And you're basing this upon what, exactly?

• klash2defklash2def Member EpicPosts: 1,949
    Originally posted by Mysk

There has been a lot of good ideas in this thread, some of which I agree with and some of which I don't.  It's not often that I read 90%+ of the posts in a long thread like this.

I could repeat much of what was written here, but instead, I'll just focus on what the primary issue was for me: Game play.

The story was nice, and at one point I even said that I didn't think that I could go back to the basic pop-up dialogue box structure of MMOs.  I meant that at the time, and I do still kind of miss the voice acting; there were some shining moments in the side quests.

The problem for me was that actually playing the game was an incredibly boring experience.  Calling SWTOR's design a "dereitive work" is akin to saying that space is "kind of big".  The story aspects held me long enough to get my character to level 47, and at sometime around that point I simply lost any desire to sign back into the game.

These days I play Tera, and yes, I skip the vast majority of dialogue boxes.  Sometime I read them, though, and find the occasional chuckle.  The point is that while everything else about Tera is incredibly dereitive of past MMOs, at least actually playing the game is fun.  For now.  We'll see about the future when it gets here.

If anything were to "save" SWTOR, it would be... in my opinion:

1:  Make combat interesting.  How and why was this not done from the beginning?  It's the majority of the game.  Removing auto attack while changing nothing else about MMO combat doesn't make it more interesting, it makes it more spammy.

2: Ditch the immense amount of instancing.  This is supposed to be an MMO.  As someone else said, turn them into public quests since they're shared by everyone anyway.

The server populations wouldn't have evaporated if the game had been fun enough to keep the population in the first place.  That's pretty much what it boils down to.  For me, anyway.

I agree with all of this post..

side note: SWTOR has spoiled me with the VO for the MAIN questline.. its so hard to go back to reading the missions..vs seeing my avatar have emotion and choices during the mission..thats just cool.. so BW was innovative on that part.. but there are many other things that need fixing such as PVP, grouping, servers, space combat.. etc.. but yea i honestly think mmo games would benefit  from some VO based questlines.. 

"Beliefs don't change facts. Facts, if you're reasonable, should change your beliefs."

"The Society that separates its scholars from its warriors will have its thinking done by cowards and its fighting by fools."

Currently: Games Audio Engineer, you didn't hear what I heard, you heard what I wanted you to hear. 

• pedrostrikpedrostrik Member UncommonPosts: 396
    Originally posted by Lowcaian

It's a big fat failure of epic proportions and you don't need any metrics to see it. A game that cost 100-150 million to develop, backed by the perhaps single biggest juggernaut franchaise in pop culture. The fact that after a mere five months server merges are in the cards says it all.

100-150million %$&!? holy xit the game its a pure piece of crap , and after some minutes on beta i quit for good

• tatbountytatbounty Member Posts: 14
    Originally posted by klash2def

the first place.  That's pretty much what it boils down to.  For me, anyway.

side note: SWTOR has spoiled me with the VO for the MAIN questline.. its so hard to go back to reading the missions..vs seeing my avatar have emotion and choices during the mission..thats just cool.. so BW was innovative on that part.. but there are many other things that need fixing such as PVP, grouping, servers, space combat.. etc.. but yea i honestly think mmo games would benefit  from some VO based questlines.. 

http://www.starwarsmmolevelingguide.com/swtor-a-300-million-failure/ 

i don't know jack..but i know his sister :)

• TwoThreeFourTwoThreeFour Member UncommonPosts: 2,155

The only way to save SWTOR is if you can make every "different" game fail and then MMORPG-players realize that SWTOR is as good as anything is ever going to get and start accepting it instead of dreaming of other things. 

Originally posted by tatbounty

haha.. good one.. he was right in many ways.. hey im a fan of SWs in general and i was dissapointed like many but i also think the game can rebound..its still a very young game tbh.. one of my issues is that the game tried to compete with wow instead of catering to the people who were gonna play THEIR game..but there is always hope.. i say they start with getting rid of all fees to play base game then merge servers. thats a start to a long list..

"Beliefs don't change facts. Facts, if you're reasonable, should change your beliefs."

"The Society that separates its scholars from its warriors will have its thinking done by cowards and its fighting by fools."

Currently: Games Audio Engineer, you didn't hear what I heard, you heard what I wanted you to hear. 

• observerobserver Member RarePosts: 3,685

I hope EALouse comes out of hiding and finally reveals himself.  That would be amazing. 

• CazNeergCazNeerg Member Posts: 2,198

Originally posted by Karahandras

And the sandbox approach to an online Star Wars game was already tried.  Commercially speaking, it failed, miserably, no matter what any particular group may believe it's merits as a game to have been.  Compared to SWG, speaking strictly in financial terms, TOR has thus far been a vastly superior product.

Math.  TOR sold more boxes in it's first couple of months than SWG sold over the entire lifetime of the product.  Current subscribers could drop by another million and still be higher than the number of concurrent subscribers SWG had over most of the product's lifetime.

I'm going to come your way a bit and admit that a load of money came their way at launch and the sub income is still currently hefty. The trend is not rosy, however, and if you compare it to big brother, SWTOR is small potatoes.

They don't have to do anything at WoW to steal SWTOR players, they already did it when they made and updated the game. The analogy was about competition, and it's obvious who won.

If our standard of success is WoW, then all MMOs not named WoW are automatic failures.  Especially if we use the ridiculously inaccurate numbers from Blizzard, which treat Asian players as equal to western players, despite the fundamentally different pay structure.  But in terms of subscription MMOs, when discussing amount of total revenue divided by time in operation, TOR may be only in second place, but it is so far ahead of whichever game is in third that they might as well be running in different races. (Just as, to be fair, TOR and WoW are clearly not in the same race.)

Peace is a lie, there is only passion.
    Through passion, I gain strength.
    Through strength, I gain power.
    Through power, I gain victory.
    Through victory, my chains are broken.
    The Force shall free me.

• BardusBardus Member Posts: 460
    Originally posted by observer

I hope EALouse comes out of hiding and finally reveals himself.  That would be amazing. 

If you have the net, I have the snorkel to find his barrel.

Math.  TOR sold more boxes in it's first couple of months than SWG sold over the entire lifetime of the product.  Current subscribers could drop by another million and still be higher than the number of concurrent subscribers SWG had over most of the product's lifetime.

If our standard of success is WoW, then all MMOs not named WoW are automatic failures.  Especially if we use the ridiculously inaccurate numbers from Blizzard, which treat Asian players as equal to western players, despite the fundamentally different pay structure.  But in terms of subscription MMOs, when discussing amount of total revenue divided by time in operation, TOR may be only in second place, but it is so far ahead of whichever game is in third that they might as well be running in different races. (Just as, to be fair, TOR and WoW are clearly not in the same race.)

I agree with this. People dont seem to get your last point.. TOR is only a "fail" because it didnt reach what it thought it would (wow numbers) .. but even still.. no other game other than WOW is even close when it comes to numbers..its impossible to measure a games sucess by looking at blizzard.. that was a once in a lifetime thing.. its like always comparing every new player that joins the NBA to Jordan.. its just not fair. 

• Demmi77Demmi77 Member UncommonPosts: 229

no, the game cannot be saved. Again, bioware developed what they wanted. Story driven mmo by them. MMO's should be story driven by the players. THey could never keep up with the content and they have no clue wtf they're doing.

The mods are now banning accounts that post negative threads. Hence, the decrease in the same topics over and over. The community managers at tor are treating paying customers like garbage and that alone is why i'll never resub. People want swg features because , as bad as swg was, it's better than tor. The game is a lvl to 50 then either re-roll an alt or quit game. 

The damage control is getting out of hand, people are leaving the game in ridiculous numbers, if it survives another 3 months i'll be suprised. Expect an announcement soon, from bioware.  They should have postponed the game when everyone in beta was screaming in the cbt forums about the bugs , ui, lfg, shards, world sizes.

Originally posted by Demmi77

no, the game cannot be saved. Again, bioware developed what they wanted. Story driven mmo by them. MMO's should be story driven by the players. THey could never keep up with the content and they have no clue wtf they're doing.

The mods are now banning accounts that post negative threads. Hence, the decrease in the same topics over and over. The community managers at tor are treating paying customers like garbage and that alone is why i'll never resub. People want swg features because , as bad as swg was, it's better than tor. The game is a lvl to 50 then either re-roll an alt or quit game. 

The damage control is getting out of hand, people are leaving the game in ridiculous numbers, if it survives another 3 months i'll be suprised. Expect an announcement soon, from bioware.  They should have postponed the game when everyone in beta was screaming in the cbt forums about the bugs , ui, lfg, shards, world sizes.

Don't be so dramatic.  Despite it's problems, we need to remember that it is still the second most successful subscription MMO ever released in the American/European markets.  That isn't an opinion.  That isn't spin.  It's just a fact.  It has to fall a *lot* farther than it already has before there would be even a chance for that to stop being true.  And take off the rose-colored glasses RE: SWG.  Which game is better is a matter of opinion, but which was a greater financial success is not.  SWG was a commercial flop.  TOR has been highly profitable.

I agree with this. People dont seem to get your last point.. TOR is only a "fail" because it didnt reach what it thought it would (wow numbers) .. but even still.. no other game other than WOW is even close when it comes to numbers..its impossible to measure a games sucess by looking at blizzard.. that was a once in a lifetime thing.. its like always comparing every new player that joins the NBA to Jordan.. its just not fair. 

The funny thing is, it isn't even a matter of TOR failing to reach the level BioWare thought it should; the only hard number we ever heard from them was that they only needed 500k subscribers to be profitable.  They still have 2.5 times that amount.  It was a matter of TOR failing to reach the level overly enthusiastic MMO junkies desperate for a "WoW killer" thought that it should.

The Force shall free me.

• BardusBardus Member Posts: 460
    Originally posted by Demmi77

Don't be so dramatic.  Despite it's problems, we need to remember that it is still the second most successful subscription MMO ever released in the American/European markets.  That isn't an opinion.  That isn't spin.  It's just a fact.  It has to fall a *lot* farther than it already has before there would be even a chance for that to stop being true.  And take off the rose-colored glasses RE: SWG.  Which game is better is a matter of opinion, but which was a greater financial success is not.  SWG was a commercial flop.  TOR has been highly profitable.

The funny thing is, it isn't even a matter of TOR failing to reach the level BioWare thought it should; the only hard number we ever heard from them was that they only needed 500k subscribers to be profitable.  They still have 2.5 times that amount.  It was a matter of TOR failing to reach the level overly enthusiastic MMO junkies desperate for a "WoW killer" thought that it should.

Do you honestly believe the words that are coming out of your keyboard? It stopped being the 2nd biggest ever anything after the 1st month. Do you honestly believe that 1.3 million subs? None of that number counted the free time?

Mind if I remind you of this post when EA has to release their next report? They are running out of ways to give the game away you know.

Originally posted by Bardus

Do you honestly believe the words that are coming out of your keyboard? It stopped being the 2nd biggest ever anything after the 1st month. Do you honestly believe that 1.3 million subs? None of that number counted the free time?

Mind if I remind you of this post when EA has to release their next report? They are running out of ways to give the game away you know.

We have no actual data that would allow us to conclude the 1.3 million number is false.  We have no idea how many of the current subs are six months which simply haven't ended yet, and won't be renewed.  But the 1.3 number is the only solid one we currently have.  Anything else is just speculation until they release another number.  And we have no reason to believe it has stopped being the second biggest anything.  Until some other subscription based MMO outsells it, it still has the second highest box sales.  As far as current subs go, what other sub based non-WoW MMO has anywhere close to what BioWare claims they still have?  You may not like it, but measured against any sub based game that isn't named WoW, TOR is still successful.  How long that will remain true is anybody's guess, but as of the last numbers any of us have access to, it was undeniably true.

As far as my personal experience in game goes, are there fewer people online on the servers I play than there were at launch?  Certainly.  Are there any less now than there were a month after launch?  Don't seem to be when I am playing.  Most of the dropoff that I noticed happened immediately after the end of the month included with the box.  It really doesn't seem, at least on my servers, like many people who actually subscribed to the game have stopped playing.

The Force shall free me.

• MyskMysk Member Posts: 982
    Originally posted by tatbounty

That's certainly interesting to see at this point.

• NorseGodNorseGod Member EpicPosts: 2,654
    Originally posted by JoeyMMO
    Originally posted by Zlayer77

No way to save this gargbage and no reason 2. Its an EA game and it needs to die... People working at Bioware need to get fired and their childrean need to starve.

The more Epicly this game fails the better. I have been rooting for its destruction since E3 when it was first announced all those years ago...

You can want EA to fail, TOR to fail epically all you want but wishing the children of EA to starve to death says more about you that it does about EA.

They better get their act together then, huh?

To talk about games without the censorship, check out https://www.reddit.com/r/MMORPG/
  • ignore_meignore_me Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 1,987

Ok but if we are doing that, then SWG needs to be out of the equation as well. Fair is fair.

Survivor of the great MMORPG Famine of 2011

• dadante666dadante666 Member UncommonPosts: 402

Ok but if we are doing that, then SWG needs to be out of the equation as well. Fair is fair.

I only bring up SWG in response to ridiculous claims like TOR not being a sandbox being some kind of major flaw, as if sandbox + Star Wars is some kind of magical, guaranteed formula for success.  SWG (pre-CU) was quite possibly the best sandbox game ever made.  And it still wasn't successful, because the size of the audience willing to pay a subscription for a style of game where the players provide most of the content just isn't that big.  If people are going to be shelling out on a monthly basis, they want to be provided content for their money, not basically told to make it themselves.  While I now think subscriptions are bad for any game, even back when I thought they were a good idea I could still see that the combination of sub + sandbox was inherently idiotic. 

The Force shall free me.

• mikahrmikahr Member Posts: 1,066

Both themepark and sandbox concepts are failed ones. At least when big numbers are involved.

Devs will have to go back to drawing board and think hard of how to provide just enough content theselves and still leave enough freedom for players to have "their own thing".

At least when big numbers are involved.

For a niche AAA game, be it themepark or sandbox, there is still enough audience to warrant them, but not 200m worth. Good sandbox could easily reach 500k (just look at EvE).

And also, sub model is showing its age, quite a few games prooved that freemium will generally yield better results than sub one. But i guess companies want to "keep" that for "second launch" when game fails with sub model.

Its like pattern: release unfinished, bugged game -> get box+sub money from suckers -> go freemium when you fix the game.

• sindraodsindraod Member Posts: 28

Originally posted by sindraod

Basically, SWtOR is just not a good game. Much too linear. No space combat. Poor planet design. Really, the list goes on and on.

They did nothing to step outside of the KotOR model, and that's a shame. The model is above-average for single-player games, but MMOs are a different animal.

Couple all of that with EA, the company notorious for favoring profits over quality products, and the recipe for fail was complete.

Nonsense.  Criticize the design approach of the MMO elements all you want, but it simply isn't accurate to say it is a bad game.    The only *major* flaw is the presence of the subscription fee.  WIthout that, you would have at the very least 8 of the best single player RPGs ever made.  Hell, in a lot of ways TOR is the best game BioWare has made in several years.  Certainly better than Dragon Age 2 or Mass Effect 3.

Trouble is that it's not a single-player game. Also, the subscription fee is not a "flaw" at all. The good MMOs have sub fees. The "flaw" is the game itself...

• LagozLagoz Member Posts: 92

It can't be saved.

And it shouldn't be saved.

Good SPRPG, Bad MMORPG.

This discussion has been closed.