Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Is the setting too far fetched? (explain it to me)

13»

Comments

• aesperusaesperus Member UncommonPosts: 5,135

^

Thank you Asuran for a finally decent post in this thread.

The amount of elitism in this thread is eye-bleeding. I don't think the OP's question is trolling, or somehow unworthy of the superior gamers known as TSW fans.. Nor do I think it's a good idea to openly flame someone who is actually taking an interest in the game's lore in this game.

You have an opportunity to alter someone's perception of the game. Take a cue from Asuran here and show him what's great about the TSW setting / lore.

EDIT: I'm also curious about question #2:

I know they alude a lot to 'special' people with magical powers that are somehow highly respected and valuable. They never really do explain it, but I'm hoping that is something that gets explained later in the story. Even Beaumont mentions this, without giving too much away. He also talks about the 'bees' which aren't really explained either.

• smh_alotsmh_alot Member Posts: 976
    Originally posted by colddog04

I'm guessing that you didn't realize this was a thread about TSW and not GW2. Really, the difference is that no one claimed GW2 was "realistic." Someone did claim TSW was "realistic." He said that they didn't have "over the top sparkle effects." I played around with the elementalist build in TSW a bit and it definitely felt like it had "over the top sparkle effects." Anyway, you can compare the game that calls itself realistic (TSW) with the one that calls itself fantasy (GW2) using these pics if you want  

This isn't my discussion, and this isn't the OP topic either, but just have to insert: there have been a number of threads about GW2 and that the combat effects were abundant even for a fantasy MMO, certainly when you compare with other MMO's like LotrO and such. Which is fine. TSW's effects are on average more lowkey than you'll find in most MMO's, more leaning towards realism and fitting for a more modern day setting, although ofc it'll have its effects too, and magic abilities as well.
  • BeansnBreadBeansnBread Member EpicPosts: 7,254
    Originally posted by Sameer1979
    Originally posted by colddog04
    Originally posted by Sameer1979

Meh lightning effect in those screens are no where over the top. You want to see over the top sparkles? try GW2.

I'm guessing that you didn't realize this was a thread about TSW and not GW2. Really, the difference is that no one claimed GW2 was "realistic." Someone did claim TSW was "realistic." He said that they didn't have "over the top sparkle effects." I played around with the elementalist build in TSW a bit and it definitely felt like it had "over the top sparkle effects."

Yes i know it is topic about TSW, and since we are talkign about over the top sparklign effects i just gave you an example of MMO which is actually over the top. No one is claiming TSW is realistic but that it is set in realistic modern world settings. Two different things.

Anyway, you can compare the game that calls itself realistic (TSW) with the one that calls itself fantasy (GW2) using these pics if you want to.

Yeah i still don't see how TSW is over the top.  But then again it is very easy to show only screenshots which supports your agument.

Of course I'm going to show screenshots where their effects are over the top. Since that is specifically what we are talking about, I think it's pretty obvious to say that they are relevant. Are you implying that showing screenshots of over the top effects is irrelevant because I picked screenshots that displayed over the top effects?

Besides that, I saw a lot of areas that displayed realism, but  there were also a lot of areas that displayed nearly pure fantasy. Can you understand why I might have that point of view?

Originally posted by aesperus

^Thank you Asuran for a finally decent post in this thread.The amount of elitism in this thread is eye-bleeding. I don't think the OP's question is trolling, or somehow unworthy of the superior gamers known as TSW fans.. Nor do I think it's a good idea to openly flame someone who is actually taking an interest in the game's lore in this game.You have an opportunity to alter someone's perception of the game. Take a cue from Asuran here and show him what's great about the TSW setting / lore.EDIT: I'm also curious about question #2:I know they alude a lot to 'special' people with magical powers that are somehow highly respected and valuable. They never really do explain it, but I'm hoping that is something that gets explained later in the story. Even Beaumont mentions this, without giving too much away. He also talks about the 'bees' which aren't really explained either.

? Don't know who you're referring to, but I hope it ain't my posts, I gave reply to the OP's question. Last page seemed to be about a completely different topic anyway than the OP.
  • aesperusaesperus Member UncommonPosts: 5,135
    Originally posted by smh_alot

This isn't my discussion, and this isn't the OP topic either, but just have to insert: there have been a number of threads about GW2 and that the combat effects were abundant even for a fantasy MMO, certainly when you compare with other MMO's like LotrO and such. Which is fine. TSW's effects are on average more lowkey than you'll find in most MMO's, more leaning towards realism and fitting for a more modern day setting, although ofc it'll have its effects too, and magic abilities as well.

Before we get too OT, the topic you are referring to is from a number of betas ago. It was basically talking about how the effects were too much, and that it was hard to see in a melee fight. They have since toned it down, and is not a current concern. I wouldn't be using dated GW2 criticisms as ammo for a debate such as this.

That said, can we people get back to the lore?

Originally posted by smh_alot

Before we get too OT, the topic you are referring to is from a number of betas ago. It was basically talking about how the effects were too much, and that it was hard to see in a melee fight. They have since toned it down, and is not a current concern. I wouldn't be using dated GW2 criticisms as ammo for a debate such as this.

That said, can we people get back to the lore?

True, it's toned down but it's still present, ANet has its own typical effects approach in both GW and GW2 which are usually a bit more than seen in other MMO's. But you're right, that's not the topic, so let's stick to the lore discussion. I still think that if shows like Supernatural, the X-Files, Fringe and others can present this modern day world where all kinds of weird, alien or supernatural things happen and the public in general doesn't know, then it shouldn't be a problem for TSW's modern day setting either.
  • BarCrowBarCrow Member UncommonPosts: 2,195
    Originally posted by Purutzil

At the same token outside of media can you say you have actually been to a place yourself and saw nothing happening? Like in terms fo that you have a lot of loop holes. Claim all you want but our media is in some degree controlled. Have you heard anything at all about the Iceland Revolution going on? I bet you haven't heard much about it. It is a big deal but considering where it is, its something governments fear of causing revolts and as such the media is censored quite a bit in mentioning it.

They're really creating change there too. I hear they even arrested and prosecuted or plan to prosecute those resposible for shitty lending practices in their country. Unlike here in America  where perpetrators of financial collapse get  a admonishing stare and fabulous cash prizes.

• VowOfSilenceVowOfSilence Member UncommonPosts: 565

At the same token outside of media can you say you have actually been to a place yourself and saw nothing happening? Like in terms fo that you have a lot of loop holes. Claim all you want but our media is in some degree controlled. Have you heard anything at all about the Iceland Revolution going on? I bet you haven't heard much about it. It is a big deal but considering where it is, its something governments fear of causing revolts and as such the media is censored quite a bit in mentioning it.

Absolutely. But that's exactly what I'm talking about.

In TSW, who's the first guy we meet at savage coast? A JOURNALIST WITH A CAMERA. Without a care in the world, he tells us he's been investigating hell for years and reporting about it.

Uhm...

1) Why is he telling me all this? Shouldn't he try to work undercover instead? That's just dumb.

2) Considering that he's not undercover - wtf is this guy still doing here? Why didn't any of the secret organisation remove him, like, immediately. The place is swarming with agents, and making him "disappear" would be a pice of cake.

3) In fact, why didn't any secret organisation stop his investigation years ago?

Same thing with the writer in the lighthouse.

Hype train -> Reality

• BeansnBreadBeansnBread Member EpicPosts: 7,254
    Originally posted by VowOfSilence

Absolutely. But that's exactly what I'm talking about.

In TSW, who's the first guy we meet at savage coast? A JOURNALIST WITH A CAMERA. Without a care in the world, he tells us he's been investigating hell for years and reporting about it.

Uhm...

1) Why is he telling me all this? Shouldn't he try to work undercover instead? That's just dumb.

2) Considering that he's not undercover - wtf is this guy still doing here? Why didn't any of the secret organisation remove him, like, immediately. The place is swarming with agents, and making him "disappear" would be a pice of cake.

3) In fact, why didn't any secret organisation stop his investigation years ago?

Same thing with the writer in the lighthouse.

Yeah, I kind of agree. It's about how they actually handle the secrecy.

In shows like the X-Files, Fringe and Supernatural, they create an environment where people are actively trying to cover things up or people are not actually witness to much of the going ons behind the scenes. In TSW, it seems like everyone should know about it but for some strange reason they don't. And it isn't well explained. It's just... they don't know and you are part of the secret.

• BlackbrrdBlackbrrd Member Posts: 811

He also talks about the 'bees' which aren't really explained either.

Ah, you mean the bee that entered your mouth in the opening sequence where you shortly after started manifested magical powers? Or the bees he refers to as "whisking you away to safety", making you more or less immortal? I must say I do like the not-in-your-face way of telling you things TSW uses. :)

• Asuran24Asuran24 Member Posts: 517

^

Thank you Asuran for a finally decent post in this thread.

The amount of elitism in this thread is eye-bleeding. I don't think the OP's question is trolling, or somehow unworthy of the superior gamers known as TSW fans.. Nor do I think it's a good idea to openly flame someone who is actually taking an interest in the game's lore in this game.

You have an opportunity to alter someone's perception of the game. Take a cue from Asuran here and show him what's great about the TSW setting / lore.

EDIT: I'm also curious about question #2:

I know they alude a lot to 'special' people with magical powers that are somehow highly respected and valuable. They never really do explain it, but I'm hoping that is something that gets explained later in the story. Even Beaumont mentions this, without giving too much away. He also talks about the 'bees' which aren't really explained either.

THe bees are the way Gaia distributes power to the people in the world during a crisis, and so when the darkness started to rise the bees started vanishing as they were called upon by Gaia. Though to me this is rp info that is not needed fully to be adhereed to by rpers as you could go with the bee releasing your family's ong sealed bithright too like having demonic blood or being sealed after one member comminted a crime of sorts.  The reasons for the respected and valued is the fact of how long and rare it is to gain magic beyond some points.

• DataDayDataDay Member UncommonPosts: 1,538

The general gist of this thread seems to boil down to hostile TSW fanboy types with a deep rooted hatred or bias against GW2, even though it has nothing to do with the subject, in which they try to confirm their bias by  going off on tangents or mocking the OP.

The OP is clearly trying to start a dialog, not some childish bickering about other games and the percieved threat against TSW. Loyalties to games, as though they were sides or nationalities, is counter to being rational and logical in behavior and mindset.

• Asuran24Asuran24 Member Posts: 517

Unlike most games tsw really was not built around a combat system, but more the system of combat was buuilt around the focus of the game (story, investagating, exploration, and such.). As such if you were looking for a combat system that was well leagues ahead of other combat systems it was not going to be, and yet they can still flesh out the combat system further as the game goes on as it is pretty basic, yet with the degree to how you can work together or to actually rely on others in combat in ways is intereesting. I mean you can go full on trinity with each character specilizing in one role of abilities, or just spread them out so losing one member is not as big a problem, as such you can kinda play it in a veriety of styles which is up to the players in the group.  I like this fact of combat that is not just strictly you need a full on tank, but merely having some one able to take on that fact in some caapasity is good. I ran with such a group this weekend i was mostly blood/sword using alot of healing and tanking abilities, while the group was a mixture of healing, and dps abilities with the scatered tanking abilities here and thhere when somethign would go wrong. In this way it kinda allows the healer/tanker types to take on the role of that if so desired, but yet also allows groups to mix an match abilities too in instances if no one wants to fully go healer or tanker.