Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Player died after playing Diablo III for 72h straight ...

Comments

• VhalnVhaln Member Posts: 3,159

Probably, but I'm sure staying up for three days straight didn't help.  Especially if any stimulants were involved.

When I want a single-player story, I'll play a single-player game. When I play an MMO, I want a massively multiplayer world.

• DistopiaDistopia Member EpicPosts: 21,183
    Originally posted by Vhaln

Probably, but I'm sure staying up for three days straight didn't help.  Especially if any stimulants were involved.

True.

For every minute you are angry , you lose 60 seconds of happiness."-Emerson

• GadarethGadareth Member UncommonPosts: 310

Lets see playing computer games kills people ...

playing sports kills people ( http://www.hughston.com/hha/a_16_4_4.htm )

I would be willing to bet more people die from sports related accidents and overwork than die from over playing a computer game.

To be honest anything will eventually kill you if taken in excess.

• CorehavenCorehaven Member UncommonPosts: 1,533

Anyone can die at any time. 

But this is not the first time Ive seen a video game related death.  I had read about some guy who died on his 360 because he to played some game for around 3 days straight.  Every time I hear about this its always some over weight guy who's sat for well over 48 hours playing a video game and doing little else. 

Ive had long marathons (to me anyways) that might have lasted as long as 8 hours.  Or even 9 hours.  After hour 5 or 6 I begin to kind of feel ill myself.  My eyes are bloodshot, my body and hands feel shaky, and I just plain dont feel all that great. 

Im not sure what playing a game for 3 straight days and doing nothing else would do to me.  I dont think I could even do it.  The tip here is dont do that.  Dont sit in front of a screen, not having worked out in days, barely going to the bathroom, chugging down chips and soda and nothing else for 3 days.  Dont even do it for 24 hours.  There's no reason for that.  Your game isnt going anywhere.  You have years to play it. 

• jtcgsjtcgs Member Posts: 1,777
    Originally posted by Distopia

As a person who at 32 had two heart attacks, I can guarantee this had nothing to do with D3 or game addiction and everything to do with the persons own body.

Sucks that you had 2 heart attacks man but you are in no position to say what you said.

Just about anyone with a medical background will tell you that doing ANYTHING for 72 straight hours can kill you. The lack of sleep plus the stress on the body will do it alone and there was no doubt some type of stimulant being used by the person, odds are a red bull type drink or mountain dew...and those drinks can kill you by themselves if taken in large quantities.

This person wasnt by far the first to die from playing games for too long and he wont be the last. It was a foolish thing to do...doing it for just 1 full 24 hour period is foolish.

“I hope we shall crush...in its birth the aristocracy of our moneyed corporations, which dare already to challenge our government to a trial of strength and bid defiance to the laws of our country." ~Thomes Jefferson

• mainvein33mainvein33 Member Posts: 406

I feel bad he died but I will say this what anybody chooses to do with their life is their choice. Their is no real soap box to stand on here to say video games kill becuase almost anything in excess can harm you. The thing I will never understand is how someone can do this to themselves and feel like its worth it past their late teens. When I was 18 I was like played WoW 24 hours straight how cool am I. Me at 18 was an a$$. No game is worth your life. 

• CrunkJuice2CrunkJuice2 Member Posts: 568

hes greek

greeks are terrible at online games anyway.nothing of value was lost

i know im probably gonna get flamed to all hell for putting that.but i played free mmos for years before i played pay to play ones,and greeks are pretty much the most terrible mmo players 

(well,i know diablo 3 isnt an mmo,but whatever.online games)

• DistopiaDistopia Member EpicPosts: 21,183
    Originally posted by jtcgs

As a person who at 32 had two heart attacks, I can guarantee this had nothing to do with D3 or game addiction and everything to do with the persons own body.

Sucks that you had 2 heart attacks man but you are in no position to say what you said.

Just about anyone with a medical background will tell you that doing ANYTHING for 72 straight hours can kill you. The lack of sleep plus the stress on the body will do it alone and there was no doubt some type of stimulant being used by the person, odds are a red bull type drink or mountain dew...and those drinks can kill you by themselves if taken in large quantities.

This person wasnt by far the first to die from playing games for too long and he wont be the last. It was a foolish thing to do...doing it for just 1 full 24 hour period is foolish.

I didn't say that didn't contribute, but lets face it people do this type of thing all the time, it kills those who's body can't take the stress, it's really as simple as that. As for "in no position", I'm in as much of a postition to say what I did as anyone else who's saying he must have been fat as an example, I'm just pointing out a person doesn't have to be fat or generally unhealhy in their lifestyle to develop heart problems I was also saying videogames aren't to blame, which it seemed the conversation was turning to that. I can tell you right now if I sat here and gamed for three days straight I'd be dead, I doubt it would take three.

For every minute you are angry , you lose 60 seconds of happiness."-Emerson

• jtcgsjtcgs Member Posts: 1,777
    Originally posted by jtcgs

I didn't say that didn't contribute, but lets face it people do this type of thing all the time, it kills those who's body can't take the stress, it's really as simple as that. As for "in no position", I'm in as much of a postition to say what I did as anyone else who's saying he must of been fat as an example, I'm just pointing out a person doesn't have to be fat or generally unhealhy in their lifestyle to develop heart problems I was also saying videogames aren't to blame, which it seemed the conversation was turning to that. I can tell you right now if I sat here and gamed for three days straight I'd be dead, I doubt it would take three.

As shown above...yes, you did.

Back to the point. Olympic athletes have died from too much red bull...their bodies can take the stress, their bodies could not handle an overdose of caffeine.

Body type matters little especially when you look at the different types of people that have died from binge gaming in the past. It is whatever combination of things you are doing that is the trigger for the individual. One Korean died from the stress of lack of sleep and holding his urine which caused a fatal stroke...that sure didnt have anything to do with a weak heart...which killed another Korean who had a 4 day gaming bindge and was drinking a korean power drink.

“I hope we shall crush...in its birth the aristocracy of our moneyed corporations, which dare already to challenge our government to a trial of strength and bid defiance to the laws of our country." ~Thomes Jefferson

• Sora2810Sora2810 Member Posts: 567

How come every blizzard game has this effect? I always see threads like this, SC2 comes out and a korean kid collapsed with a heart-attack. I imagine with D2, SC1 and WC3 came out the same deal happened.

Oh! We can't forget the elephant in the room named WoW. It apparently is used as a torture--rehabilitation device for chinese prisons.

Played - M59, EQOA, EQ, EQ2, PS, SWG[Favorite], DAoC, UO, RS, MXO, CoH/CoV, TR, FFXI, FoM, WoW, Eve, Rift, SWTOR, TSW.
    Playing - PS2, AoW, GW2

• baphametbaphamet Member RarePosts: 3,311

Originally posted by aejoriiI guess all those fat people can sue mcdonalds now for making them fat. He's a grown ass man and made the choice to sit there.

/thread

• 1carcarah11carcarah1 Member Posts: 172

Does anybody realise that those killing games always have a very well implemented skinner box?

Make a game, put a gear grind with lots of small loot pinatas and kill 10 koreans. Let Blizzard do the same, their game kills 10 koreans, 5 westerners and addicts 12 million people worldwide.

• DrastDrast Member UncommonPosts: 149

Now he gets to play Diablo for real!

I have no sympathy for him, or anyone else who is foolish enough to attempt to do this to themselves. I am sure he was loaded up on mass amounts of energy drink/pills/coffee, which pushed his heart over the limit.  The world is now short one more foolish person, and I will weep not one tear.

• NIIINIII Member UncommonPosts: 113

Guns don't kill people.

• SiveriaSiveria Member UncommonPosts: 1,419

Diablo 3 is pretty shittastic, I wish I could get a refund on my copy, but sadly its a boxed copy and in canada they usually don't let you return pc games once opened due to cd-keys and such. The gamne was a piece of shit, we waiting what 10 years and this was the best they could do? Thankfully torchlight 2 is on the horizon and its a far better game than diablo 3 can ever hope to be, I was in the TL2 beta and it didn';t bore me, unlike diablo 3 where I can't stand more than an hour of the game because I start falling asleep. D3 is honestly horrifically boring even for a hack and slash title. All you do is mindlessly grind since you have no decisions to make about your character at all that would actually stick and matter, if I wanted that kind of gameplay I could play a korean devved mmorpg instead, and said korean mmo most likely has more char customization than diablo 3 ever will have.

Being a pessimist is a win-win pattern of thinking. If you're a pessimist (I'll admit that I am!) you're either:

A. Proven right (if something bad happens)

or

B. Pleasantly surprised (if something good happens)

Either way, you can't lose! Try it out sometime!

• superpatasuperpata Member UncommonPosts: 190

Just to reply about people sometimes not realizing they might have had heart attacks before with symptoms like chest pain and excessive breath. There are also cases where this happens in panic attacks and people go to the hospital thinking they are having a real one (it happened to me) as some of the symptoms are  "shared" with the real thing, but in these cases people are "fine" and not having a heart attack. Just letting my testimony  for people that are slightly hypochondriac;).

As for the topic itself not much to add, but I expect if someone is willing to go 72 hours full gaming without sleep, stuff like this can happen. I guess if fhe perosn was not so lonely peraphs someone would have already stopped him or tried to. The story is very sad but diablo and gaming overall is not responsible for this.

• DalaimocDalaimoc Member UncommonPosts: 29

the world lost one idiot....so what ?

• MikkelBMikkelB Member Posts: 240
    Originally posted by Siveria

Diablo 3 is pretty shittastic, I wish I could get a refund on my copy, but sadly its a boxed copy and in canada they usually don't let you return pc games once opened due to cd-keys and such. The gamne was a piece of shit, we waiting what 10 years and this was the best they could do? Thankfully torchlight 2 is on the horizon and its a far better game than diablo 3 can ever hope to be, I was in the TL2 beta and it didn';t bore me, unlike diablo 3 where I can't stand more than an hour of the game because I start falling asleep. D3 is honestly horrifically boring even for a hack and slash title. All you do is mindlessly grind since you have no decisions to make about your character at all that would actually stick and matter, if I wanted that kind of gameplay I could play a korean devved mmorpg instead, and said korean mmo most likely has more char customization than diablo 3 ever will have.

While your post has nothing to do with the thread, my advice to you does. Don't rage to much, you might get yourself a heartattack...

Back to the topic, it was just waiting for something like this to happen. While tasteless of me, I sometimes get the idea that people are starting to see 'dying from gaming' as an achievement too. 'Must get that world first!'

EDIT: Not to say that gaming is to blame here. Could just as well been a marathon of As The World Turns that kills someone. Might have to do with the quality of that particular show then image

• cutthecrapcutthecrap Member Posts: 600

I find it interesting that it only takes like 2 nights of no sleep before your body starts to shut down and you risk dying.

I mean, I have skipped nights of sleep as well sometimes, being awake for like 48 hrs or so after a night's out and still full of caffeine and red bull or still high on a great night out with dancing, concert, girls and just plain fun.

To think that 1 more night of no sleep puts you on the risk of dying... kinda sobering. I've had times that in 5 days I maybe slept no more than 10-15 hrs max.

• fivorothfivoroth Member UncommonPosts: 3,916
    Originally posted by cutthecrap

I find it interesting that it only takes like 2 nights of no sleep before your body starts to shut down and you risk dying.

I mean, I have skipped nights of sleep as well sometimes, being awake for like 48 hrs or so after a night's out and still full of caffeine and red bull or still high on a great night out with dancing, concert, girls and just plain fun.

To think that 1 more night of no sleep puts you on the risk of dying... kinda sobering.

I did the full 48 hours no sleep thing once and I am never doing it again. It's like you're violating every single cell in your body :D

Mission in life: Vanquish all MMORPG.com trolls - especially TESO, WOW and GW2 trolls.

• dreldrel Member Posts: 918

no game is worth this

• RaekonRaekon Member UncommonPosts: 531
    Originally posted by Eladi
    Originally posted by aejorii
    Originally posted by sonoggi
    Originally posted by xeniar

He had an illness,

he died from his illness and his own choise to not exercise despite his ilness,

nothing to do with diablo 3 or any gaming in general

well, technically it very much does. sitting for prolonged periods of time causes blood stasis. not sleeping causes increased cortisol levels and sympathetic activity, which increase blood pressure. assuming he did not drink enough, or drank Redbull/caffeine, this caused dehydration and further sympathetic firing. so we're talking increased blood viscosity/clotting, increased work on the heart, increased blood pressure - the perfect recipe for a heart attack, even in semi-healthy individuals. most likely, the caffeine and blood stasis did him in the most.

while D3 didnt physically reach out and clot his blood, D3 was the drug that caused him to sit there and die.

I guess all those fat people can sue mcdonalds now for making them fat.

He's a grown ass man and made the choice to sit there.

Just like how drug users do it themselfs, how alcohol users do it themselfs.. gaming is adicting, and it can cause death in extreme cases.

-I- am adicted to online interaction and gaming, -I- had a hearth infarct  on 13  february this year,  at that time I already was seeking help and still am in the long slow process of it, however I do sport these days and game far far less then I used to.

point is, gaming can be dangerus and like every type of substance or behavior we use to supress reallive it can get out of controll were the game(s) dictate youre live and you as a person have no choise in the matter anymore, you need someone to drag youre ass away from the game in order to break the circle (or end up in hospital like i had)

Untill developers start adding more time controll limets these cases will come up from time to time and these are just the known media covered cases. as whit mine ,there are far far more people adicted to gaming and online interaction then we dare to admit. 

so for youre own sake, stop pretending its the peoples own faulth and admit that these kind of uncontrollable adictions that causes deaths exisist , it might save youre live one day since admiting that a problem might exsiste is the first step to solving it.

ps: i was a very very healthy 34 year old,  health issue's are not the cause of these common hearth attacks/infarts.

basicly anyone who sits longer then 4 hours whitout moving gets a dice roll ,do this often and you get two dice rolls , if you roll a 6 youre dead.. tempt fate or get of the chair for 15 min.. that is a choice..when not adicted yet ;)

Even you are right in many points, he actually did cause his own death in this case.

- He got offered help from the outside and didn't wanted it

- He even got offered a free pass for a gym and didn't wanted it

There is only as much as one can do to help in some cases cause you can't chain these people away and force them to stop against their will.

So it was his choice to ignore all warnings and his choice lead to his death.

Many games nowadays are having notifications that are asking you to take a pause.

Heck even Guild Wars 1 had one that reminds you every hour to take a pause.

Digimon Masters online even let you only play for 3 hours straight and locked the game from you for 24 hours after.

People whined left and right and would rather quit the game and harm the developer through it instead of be thankful for such a action cause such a system takes away their right of choice or own decision.

So one can blame games as much as they want but at the end of the day, everyone is responsible for his/her own actions.

Many people underestimate the follow ups of such a behaviour with comments like "sleep is overrated" or "I can sleep when I'm dead lol" or another classic one "I'm still young and can take it".

All these comments are taking place till one day the reality bites them on their own butt and shows them that none of these comments are actually valid and that sleep is really needed cause no matter if you feel it or not, your brain and body are  taking damage when you lack on sleep and causes issues on your "system" without you even noticing.

So a huge PLEASE to everyone, take breaks in between, sleep and try to go around unhealthy eating/drinking behaviours.

Drink enough water and skip a red bull or coffee (2 cups of coffee per day are ok if you have no testinal issues and if you follow up with 2 cups of water after the coffee).

Have fun, enjoy games but don't forget real life is there too! :)

• Loke666Loke666 Member EpicPosts: 21,441
    Originally posted by xeniar

He had an illness,

he died from his illness and his own choise to not exercise despite his ilness,

nothing to do with diablo 3 or any gaming in general

Sitting still in from of your computer or TV for 72 hours without any sleep surely didn´t help but blaming the game is rather silly.

• ConnmacartConnmacart Member UncommonPosts: 722

Darwin at work here, nothing else to see move along.

Yes harsh, but honestly his own fault.

• korat102korat102 Member Posts: 313
    Originally posted by ukforze

Sry if that sounded harsh but im sick of the world pampering ppl & clamping down on

everything & screwing things up due to the odd case like this, it wont be long before

they time lock your game or net connection... the big brother control state is coming...

They already do that to some extent in some Asian countries following similar problems over there. You have to go to their website and tell the company you're an adult before they'll remove the time limits.

You already get a warning every hour or so on NCSoft games, wherever you are, advising you to take a break. Though they don't force you and it's only a single line of text - not too intrusive.