Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

ArenaNet brilliant marketing

14567810»

Comments

• OldManFunkOldManFunk Member Posts: 894
    Originally posted by TwoThreeFour
    Originally posted by OldManFunk

ANet's marketing so far has been to tell players what's in the game and then let the players experience it for themselves. 

(...)

You are already wrong in your first sentence since it implies that there is an open beta available for anyone interested in the game, which there isn't. 

I didn't say anything about an open beta.

• MeowheadMeowhead Member UncommonPosts: 3,716

So, with the new beta test, they're planning on handing out beta keys to the general public.

Hopefully that means I can finally stop hearing about the 'Arenanet is being super clever just letting people who really love the game play it' argument. :D

... I started a thread way back suggesting haters should stop complaining and prepurchase the game, bravely sacrificing themselves to give a more balanced account of what GW2 is like, but my thread got locked for suggesting that maybe haters need to make more money. :(

• cattywhompuscattywhompus Member Posts: 52
    Originally posted by Meowhead

So, with the new beta test, they're planning on handing out beta keys to the general public.

Hopefully that means I can finally stop hearing about the 'Arenanet is being super clever just letting people who really love the game play it' argument. :D

They are giving out some beta keys on Guildcast tonight, apparently.  PC Gamer also just posted something about them having some to giveaway before next weekend.

http://www.gamebreaker.tv/live/

http://www.pcgamer.com/2012/05/29/guild-wars-2-beta-event-next-weekend-pc-gamer-beta-key-giveaway-incoming/

• Bad.dogBad.dog Member UncommonPosts: 1,131
    Originally posted by Meowhead

... I started a thread way back suggesting haters should stop complaining and prepurchase the game, bravely sacrificing themselves to give a more balanced account of what GW2 is like, but my thread got locked for suggesting that maybe haters need to make more money. :(

Maybe they could sell BW's for $20 a pop ...and take that cost off the  purchase price once the game was released "Kill two birds with one stone"

• MikeBMikeB Community ManagerAdministrator RarePosts: 6,555

Let's stay on topic guys. This thread is about ArenaNet's marketing, not about random general discussion of Guild Wars 2. Thanks!

• Trol1Trol1 Member Posts: 175

ANet's marketing so far has been to tell players what's in the game and then let the players experience it for themselves. 

(...)

You are already wrong in your first sentence since it implies that there is an open beta available for anyone interested in the game, which there isn't. 

So, without commiting to the purchase of the game, how many people were actually able to experience the game for themselves, as you suggested?

Frankly, I'll keep that number at 12: me and 11 other who won our key in a raffle...

• ResiakrawResiakraw Member Posts: 73
    Originally posted by Trol1

(...)

So, without commiting to the purchase of the game, how many people were actually able to experience the game for themselves, as you suggested?

Frankly, I'll keep that number at 12: me and 11 other who won our key in a raffle...

Apparently you missed the whole thing where they had beta signups on their site without having to pre-pruchase... they reached IIRC 1 million sign ups in less than 48 hours.

• Trol1Trol1 Member Posts: 175
    Originally posted by Mahavishnu

1. Yes, it is good marketing, but should they make bad marketing? And it is quite fair. You can preorder now and get a beta-key. Many people out there want exactly this. So I think it is a good deal for both sides.

2. We have seen every aspect of their game already. All the PvE and PvP-stuff they promised can be tested. And it looks very good. However, we do not know how the rest of the game looks like, ok, so there is still room for doubt. Yet, classes, WvWvW, DEs and personal story look amazing.

"...can be tested..."

correct me if I'm wrong but if I wanted to test today or tell any of my co-travellers here to test GW2 today, could they? Other than by pre-purchasing the game?

They'll give me a rather stupid look if I were to tell them that this new game I just told them to test can only be tested if you actually already buy the game for $60...

I'm sorry, I may invest $60 into Project Fedora via Kickstarter because I love the IP, the character of Tex Murphy as done by Chris jones, and I know that even if the game sucks, I'll still get a good laugh out of it.

But $60 for something I have no connection to, and worse, can't even give back... how is that a good deal for all sides?

• AmjocoAmjoco Member UncommonPosts: 4,860
    Originally posted by Trol1
    Originally posted by Mahavishnu

1. Yes, it is good marketing, but should they make bad marketing? And it is quite fair. You can preorder now and get a beta-key. Many people out there want exactly this. So I think it is a good deal for both sides.

2. We have seen every aspect of their game already. All the PvE and PvP-stuff they promised can be tested. And it looks very good. However, we do not know how the rest of the game looks like, ok, so there is still room for doubt. Yet, classes, WvWvW, DEs and personal story look amazing.

"...can be tested..."

correct me if I'm wrong but if I wanted to test today or tell any of my co-travellers here to test GW2 today, could they? Other than by pre-purchasing the game?

They'll give me a rather stupid look if I were to tell them that this new game I just told them to test can only be tested if you actually already buy the game for $60...

I'm sorry, I may invest $60 into Project Fedora via Kickstarter because I love the IP, the character of Tex Murphy as done by Chris jones, and I know that even if the game sucks, I'll still get a good laugh out of it.

But $60 for something I have no connection to, and worse, can't even give back... how is that a good deal for all sides?

You may have missed it, but they just gave out 1000s of beta keys. Also, wait for open beta. Every game has one.

Edit: Good marketing on pre-purchase sales and then having it sell itself through videos, and positive forum feedback FTW. :) 

Death is nothing to us, since when we are, Death has not come, and when death has come, we are not.