Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Exploring Quests In The Elder Scrolls Online

2»

Comments

• jtcgsjtcgs Member Posts: 1,777
    Originally posted by Qallidexz

Nothing I said is something I will stick to, I will just keep on spinning, avoiding and pretending something wasnt said.

There we go.

“I hope we shall crush...in its birth the aristocracy of our moneyed corporations, which dare already to challenge our government to a trial of strength and bid defiance to the laws of our country." ~Thomes Jefferson

• UhwopUhwop Member UncommonPosts: 1,791
    Originally posted by RebelScum99
    Originally posted by Uhwop

They're going to "disguise" the mundaine quests like kill 10 rats, and they incorporate disguising quests a lot.TESO is yet another quest grinder to level to endgame, to then raid and do PvP.  Same old same old.

And yet when GW2 does this same exact thing, everyone pats ArenaNet on the back for it.  All they are doing is disguising mundane quests in the form of dynamic events, which are really just quest chains that are triggered by proximity.  

Short of getting rid of quests altogether, there is no way to improve questing except to "disguise" it or present it in a different way.   Any attempt to do that, whether it's GW2's dynamic quest chains, or TESO's take on questing, is a good thing.

Seems like people will always find a way to complain about something. 

Or you could have quests and not make them the "objective" of the game. 

Think about the ES games.  Lots and lots of quests.  Do you have to do them?  No. 

Did you watch the video?  They use the term "leveling career"  a few times in it.  When I say a quest grinder, I mean a game that emphasizes doing quests in order to reach the level cap and start endgame, and that's pretty much what they're saying. 

I'm not complaining about quests, I think they're essensial to any RPG, whether that be themepark or sandbox.  Quests give people direction, things to do, they help disguise grinding for those that don't want to just go out and hunt monsters or animals. 

But an ES MMO shouldn't emphasise it as the "point" of the game, and that's how it's coming across.  And what NO mmo should do is emphasize single player story lines.  There is a difference between someone who has a task for you to do, and a quest chain that has you save a village.  It's a persistant online world, shared by thousands of other people, we shouldn't all be saving the village.

But we will.

And they'll phase the result of you saving the village.

So that you'll exist in persistant online world, that has diffirent landscape then some other people, or an NPC that exists or doesn't exist in your world, and not in someone elses.  How is it even a persistant world at this point, when mulitple people share a diffirent version of the same world.  At this point every single player game is a persistant world.  The entie idea of phasing the world to drive single player storylines that you do solo is entirely counter to the idea of playing in a peristant online world with thousands of others.

To the guy that said they didn't like Rift either.  I never said I didn't like Rift.  I do in fact, and would reccomend it to anyone that asks me about it.  It's one of the best themepark mmo's out there.  It's just an example of how creating public play between players doesn't really facilitate the concept of players actually playing together.  Just because you're grouping or killing the same mob, doesn't mean you're playing together, and I experienced that enough in Rift and WAR, and after years of playing, and still playing EVE, that if you want to get people "playing together" you need mechanics that emphasize player interaction.   Solo content, that can be done solo, but with another person also doing it solo, isn't playing together.  It's two people killing the same thing solo.

And people who only play single player RPG's aren't likely to play an ES mmo, even those people that play the ES games.  Which is why there are so many posts on Beths forums from players saying they aren't interested in playing an ES MMO, they just want another sRPG ES game.  The truth is that most people who are willing to play an MMO are already doing so.  An ES mmo isn't going to bring in a bunch of new MMOers, especially if it doesn't actually play like an ES mmo.

And you'd have to be an absolute moron to not know that an MMORPG is an RPG played online with a bunch of other people.  Peope who don't want to play them don't play them because they don't want a bunch of other people in the game with them.  Why in the world would you make an MMO that plays like a single player rpg, and expect anyone but people who want to play a single player rpg to like it? 

Single player RPGers are going to play single player RPGs and MMOers who play MMO's are going to complain that the game plays like a single player RPG with a required internet connection.  Have we not figure this out already, with a recently released game, that's receiving a lot of criticism for being an MMO that plays like a single player RPG with an online feature?

• UhwopUhwop Member UncommonPosts: 1,791
    Originally posted by ShakyMo
    It has a bloody good chance of being the best mmo since eve. But oh no it has an action bar its obviously a wow clone

You keep saying the same one line comment over and over.  No one in this thread, that I've seen, has even mentioned the use of action bars.

One would start to get the impression that you're just trolling.

• FearumFearum Member UncommonPosts: 1,175

The interview was about questing, not sure why some people are jumping to conclusions about grouping. He said while you are questing and run into others on the same quest you can work together to accomplish the task. Not sure how anyone is getting grouping is being shunned here but I think the questing system sounds great.

I think the questing sounds good for what they are describing and look forward to seeing in game how it plays out. It sounds like what GW2 is doing with the same type of thing you can help out others to get credit for the same kills without being grouped.

I for one hate having to break my adventure to find some other person on the same part of a quest as me to come help out, just because it interrupts the immersion and flow of the story. I like talking to other players and grouping to get larger things done, but just for questing I like to get into the story, which TES is alot about. 

This game is looking more promising each time they come out with more info, can't wait to see whats next.

edit: To add I could see the need for grouping while questing if you needed to kill 100 of x or something rediculous, but what else would you need a group for while questing? Someone to run with you do deliver or talk to another guy about some part of a story?

I pretty sure the grouping parts will be answered later so people need to chill, god damn some of you act like its the end of the world wth your tantrums and ranting.

• RekindleRekindle Member UncommonPosts: 1,206
    Originally posted by Destai
    Originally posted by RebelScum99
    Originally posted by Uhwop

They're going to "disguise" the mundaine quests like kill 10 rats, and they incorporate disguising quests a lot.TESO is yet another quest grinder to level to endgame, to then raid and do PvP.  Same old same old.

And yet when GW2 does this same exact thing, everyone pats ArenaNet on the back for it.  All they are doing is disguising mundane quests in the form of dynamic events, which are really just quest chains that are triggered by proximity.  

Short of getting rid of quests altogether, there is no way to improve questing except to "disguise" it or present it in a different way.   Any attempt to do that, whether it's GW2's dynamic quest chains, or TESO's take on questing, is a good thing.

Seems like people will always find a way to complain about something. 

Yeah it's odd that people would complain about a roleplaying game having quests. Certainly there are ways to improve upon their delivery - something both GW2 and ESO are striving for - but those features will exist because quests are fundamental to the gamestyle.

Collecting 10 boar snoats is not a quest. Collecting pelts are not quests. Its task driven game play and its a tired old mechanic.  The problem we have here is what a "good" mmorpg is differs from player to player.

If I could have Everquest 1 or UO 1999- 2001 ish with newer graphics I'd probably never look for a new game.  However, we have an entire WoW generation of players who identify with that genre who can't possibly fathom a game that doesn't have WoW-based mechanics.  This group will win because they are the majority.

Its just unfortunate that the developers of this game have , by all apparent measures, chosen this route. I guess its logical since they are going for mass appeal.  Its just some of us held out hope that this would be a Elder scrolls online game not WoW reskinned which is what I can  guarentee you what we're going to get.

• QallidexzQallidexz Member Posts: 253
    Originally posted by Rekindle

Its just unfortunate that the developers of this game have , by all apparent measures, chosen this route. I guess its logical since they are going for mass appeal.  Its just some of us held out hope that this would be a Elder scrolls online game not WoW reskinned which is what I can  guarentee you what we're going to get.

What in God's name are you talking about? I'm really perplexed as to why people keep accusing this game of being a WoW clone. Every bit of information released about this game has indicated it moving AWAY (far away) from the traditional WoW style gameplay. It's WAYY more of a DAoC game than WoW. And just like you said, you'd be happy to play an EQ game with updated graphics... TONS of the people in this community (myself included), would LOVE a DAoC game with updated graphics. In many ways ESO is offering this, but with so many advanced features, and single-player gameplay that it looks like it will trump all the other upcoming games, and be considered a 4th generation MMO. Like, these guys seem to be the ONE company that's moving AWAY from the WoW style gameplay, and yet, THEY'RE STILL getting accused of making a WoW clone. WHAT is WoW clonish about this game? I'd really like to know what people are talking about here. lol

• FaulknerFaulkner Member UncommonPosts: 108

I am perplexed by all or accusations of it being a WOW Clone talk as well.  If folks have not yet, go and listen to the 15+ interview on their quest system.  I know some information has been released on the game.  My thought is the jury is still out on this one.  At this point I am still in the middle.