Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

So diablo 3 has no competition?

Bobbie203Bobbie203 Member Posts: 136

So there is no stopping blizzard's diablo 3 from making so much money? NO competion at all?

its sad really, i heard negative reviews but wtf is going on why is blizzard swimming in an ocean of money for diablo 3.

there is no stopping blizzard from taking over the world?

Comments

• Gabby-airGabby-air Member UncommonPosts: 3,440

Plenty of other ARPG's coming out actually, ie Torchlight 2 and Path of exile. 

• WhiteLanternWhiteLantern Member RarePosts: 3,310
    Originally posted by Bobbie203

So there is no stopping blizzard's diablo 3 from making so much money? NO competion at all?

its sad really, i heard negative reviews but wtf is going on why is blizzard swimming in an ocean of money for diablo 3.

there is no stopping blizzard from taking over the world?

Stick with the professionals rather than the emos at Metacritic and Amazon. It is actually receiving pretty good reviews.

I want a mmorpg where people have gone through misery, have gone through school stuff and actually have had sex even. -sagil

• TheLizardbonesTheLizardbones Member CommonPosts: 10,910

Originally posted by Gabby-air

Both of those games are good games, but neither is really direct competition for D3. I will say that I'm much more likely to buy TL2 than D3, just because of the price difference between them. I'm not sure D3 will bring $40 more game to the table. It's a wait and see game for me though. A couple people I know are playing right now, and I want to see how it works out for them.

I can not remember winning or losing a single debate on the internet.

• Chrome1980Chrome1980 Member Posts: 511

Yes Torchlight..

/sarcasm

• apocolusterapocoluster Member UncommonPosts: 1,326

Not going to buy it didnt like 1 or 2.  Not knocking those who do like it...just sharing  :)

No matter how cynical you become, its never enough to keep up - Lily Tomlin

• jdnewelljdnewell Member UncommonPosts: 2,237

There is nothing on the market currently that is competition for D3 ( ARPGs). But several are releasing this year.

Blizzard has always had superior marketing and planned releases. Release D3 months before any other ARPGs release and market the hell out of it. Sound business strategy that has paid off. Not to mention D3 is a good fun game that me and my friends are playing daily.

• FargolFargol Member UncommonPosts: 303
    Originally posted by apocoluster

Not going to buy it didnt like 1 or 2.  Not knocking those who do like it...just sharing  :)

I got bored fairly quickly with Torch 1, but I played the Torch 2 beta this weekend and I like it.

Much better than Torch 1.

• FonclFoncl Member UncommonPosts: 347

Gaming is moving more and more towards being like Hollywood. The biggest factor for how much you sell is how famous you are and how big marketing campaign you can afford, not how good the actual game is.

It's the same with most products in real life aswell. Quality is difficult to sell, people in general buy what's cheapest or coolest.

• SnoepieSnoepie Member UncommonPosts: 485
    Originally posted by lizardbones

Both of those games are good games, but neither is really direct competition for D3. I will say that I'm much more likely to buy TL2 than D3, just because of the price difference between them. I'm not sure D3 will bring $40 more game to the table. It's a wait and see game for me though. A couple people I know are playing right now, and I want to see how it works out for them.

not sure what you trying the say here..

Path of exile is basicly the same.. only problem is with this it just ain't diablo..

some people go like OW WTF new diablo i need to have that..

path of exile... prolly most people say.. is that  a board game?

• AZHokie54AZHokie54 Member UncommonPosts: 295

Competition for what exactly? There are no subs, and any game in the same genre is going to time their release to maximize profits anyway. That means they won't be released within several weeks of  another similar game.

• ResiakrawResiakraw Member Posts: 73
    Originally posted by Snoepie
    Originally posted by lizardbones

Path of exile is basicly the same.. only problem is with this it just ain't diablo..

Funny thing is, a lot of people feel PoE is more of a true succesor to Diablo 1 & 2 than Diablo 3 is. Ive got to say it is a pretty damn good game, F2P or not. And the skill and passives system and customization with builds is great.

• UnlightUnlight Member Posts: 2,540

D3 is a mindless retail juggernaut.  Nothing in the foreseeable future is going to be competing with it in terms of sales numbers, quality of experience, notwithstanding.

• Z3R01Z3R01 Member UncommonPosts: 2,425

No one could compete with Blizzard.

Wow has over ten million subs while every other mmo struggles to keep 1 million.

Starcraft 2 dominates the eSport scene, can you name the second most popular RTS? oh its Starcraft 1.

Diablo 3 sells 6 million copies in the first week... while other ARpg developers need to beg on kickstarter, go Free to play or offer their game at a pathetic indie discount.

Playing: Nothing

Looking forward to: Nothing 

• bumuscheekusbumuscheekus Member Posts: 214

I think Guantlet from 1985 gives it a pretty good run for its money. Same game basically minus the storyline. Coop bash bash bash.

• jdnewelljdnewell Member UncommonPosts: 2,237

If TL2 would have released, say 6 weeks ago, I personally would have played that awhile longer and waited on my D3 purchase. I cant speak for anyone else but many others might have done the same.

Would it have had a huge impact on sales of D3? probably not, but it would have been competition for that market. As it is right now D3 is the only recently developed ARPG on the market.

I have been following and waiting for TL2, if nothing else to buy it for support of the devs. If they would have released prior to D3 then their sales would have been better I think. As it stands now many people will probably pass on TL2 and just play D3 where they have time and developed characters.

IMO Runic games should have kicked TL2 development into overdrive to beat D3 for release.

All this is just my opinion tho.

• NeoZcar2NeoZcar2 Member Posts: 136

I dont think it really matters... Truth is Blizzard is broke. They overstretched and their parent company is in financial trouble. They are laying off thousands of workers just to keep current projects afloat... Meanwhile you have tons of new indie developers sprinign up with amazing products that are bringing in pure profits and growing these companies. Wether any other ARPG can sell 6 million is irrelevant in teh grand scheme of things. 

On a side note having played both D3 and PoE and waiting to check out TL2 I ahve to say there is nothing in D3 that makes it a ebtter game then PoE. I used ot think D3 had the better graphics but PoE has better graphics the further into the game you get and I now consider that game to be superior in even teh graphical department. PoE also has alot tougher content. Plus PoE skills system is superior to D3. Where I think D3 takes teh cake is in storyline and lore, and also the gold AH. I dont like the trading and bartering systems in PoE. I would rather have gold drops then have to pick up whites and sell them for barter items.

• FrodoFraginsFrodoFragins Member EpicPosts: 5,905
    Originally posted by jdnewell

Blizzard has always had superior marketing and planned releases. Release D3 months before any other ARPGs release and market the hell out of it. Sound business strategy that has paid off. Not to mention D3 is a good fun game that me and my friends are playing daily.

Their strategy was never to come out before other ARPGs.  It was in development forever.  ARPGs have always been pretty scarce and hard to make a profit with.  Titan Quest was a decent game with zero marketing and the developer went under.  Dungeon Siege 3 was developed by a different team, came out with horrible controls on the PC and was largely ignored.  TL came out but was a short term game.  TL2 should have been released last year and they've probably lost a ton of sales by taking so long.

• NadiaNadia Member UncommonPosts: 11,798
    Originally posted by FrodoFragins

Their strategy was never to come out before other ARPGs.  It was in development forever.  ARPGs have always been pretty scarce and hard to make a profit with.  Titan Quest was a decent game with zero marketing and the developer went under.  Dungeon Siege 3 was developed by a different team, came out with horrible controls on the PC and was largely ignored.  TL came out but was a short term game.  TL2 should have been released last year and they've probably lost a ton of sales by taking so long.

i doubt TL2 lost much sales in being slow to release

in the last 4 years,

seems like there has been only *two* fantasy action RPGs (D3 and DS3) on the PC -- plenty room for more

• MyrdynnMyrdynn Member RarePosts: 2,479

I reluctantly purchased D3, but I am having a blast, I like just hanging out and killing shit.

I wonder though why we have never seen an actual MMO developed like Diablo, filled with random instanced dungeons, random loot, but about 5 or so more classes, and it would be awesome

• UOvetUOvet Member Posts: 514
    Originally posted by Myrdynn

I reluctantly purchased D3, but I am having a blast, I like just hanging out and killing shit.

I wonder though why we have never seen an actual MMO developed like Diablo, filled with random instanced dungeons, random loot, but about 5 or so more classes, and it would be awesome

Yeah, it was called Ultima Online.

• ResiakrawResiakraw Member Posts: 73
    Originally posted by Myrdynn

You should try Path of Exile. Very similar to Diablo but more of an MMO. I guess I wouldnt really consider it a full MMO, mor eof a town hub system like in GW1 where your ethere with other people int own then go off into your own instance. One difference being you can still chat in global even when in your instance, youre not completely isolated from the rest of the players.

• TheLizardbonesTheLizardbones Member CommonPosts: 10,910

Originally posted by Snoepie
    Originally posted by lizardbones   Originally posted by Gabby-air Plenty of other ARPG's coming out actually, ie Torchlight 2 and Path of exile. 

I'm saying for a game to be any competition for D3, it would have to have some sort of measurable impact on D3's sales, or some sort of impact on D3's population. Neither of those games will. In my opinion, they will be successful, but in their own space, that doesn't overlap with D3.

I can not remember winning or losing a single debate on the internet.

• jtcgsjtcgs Member Posts: 1,777
    Originally posted by Bobbie203

I would guess no.

Diablo 3 is an ARPG forcing people to play online.

There are a ton of ARPGs...a lot of MMOARPGs...but I dont know of any that are standalone games forcing people to play online like Diablo 3 is.

“I hope we shall crush...in its birth the aristocracy of our moneyed corporations, which dare already to challenge our government to a trial of strength and bid defiance to the laws of our country." ~Thomes Jefferson

• gessekai332gessekai332 Member UncommonPosts: 861

i dont like blizzard and i dont like the monopoly they have over online rpg/pc gaming but the unfortunate truth is their games do deliver. 

Most memorable games: AoC(Tryanny PvP), RIFT, GW, GW2, Ragnarok Online, Aion, FFXI, FFXIV, Secret World, League of Legends (Silver II rank)

• Enforcer71Enforcer71 Member UncommonPosts: 780

Well for me its totally fresh.. Let me explain. I jumped right into MMO gaming from like the comodore 64 timeline, lol. I played the console games yes over time as with anyone but I never knew about these MMO's until my buddy told me I had to come see this game he had for the computer. It was SWG!

I jumped from a sega genisis right into this sandbox, tough as hell till we started figuring things out. I am talking about launch time of the game not after all the BS people know about. Those of us out there totally understand the feeling of having a blaster, living my own character and getting your ass handed to you by a freakin frog!   LMFAO!!

It was tough, the grinds sucked but because of that an awesome community arouse out of nowhere. We all knew we had to start working together to accomplish things. I loved the SWG community back then it was the greatest I ever had the privelige to play with.

Anyway, sorry got side tracked. I never played any of these games like starcraft and diablo's. I have found it just completely fresh and new and to be honest I havent had this much enjoyment in any MMO in a long time. I am amazed how easily it is to make friends and actually play with those friends so easily. I have really enjoyed it and have done more grouping than I have in a long time in any game.

Just my input

Out of every 100 men, 10 should not be there,
    80 are nothing but targets, 9 are the real fighters.
    Ah, but one, ONE of them is a warrior,
    and he will bring the others home.
    -Heraclitus 500BC