Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Man, Mortal Online is absolutely terrible!

Comments

• ilivesilives Member Posts: 418
    Originally posted by NaughtyP

I was excited to try a trial of this game. While I enjoyed the environment and the concepts were great... it was just too buggy for me and I had a lot of lag/animation problems and a few crashes right off the bat.

MO is a good concept, sadly its implementation sucks.  I'd love to see MO in the hands of someone  competent.

Where have all the "good" shills gone?

• onelesslightonelesslight Member UncommonPosts: 161
    Originally posted by GTwander
    Originally posted by Quirhid

Usability contributes to quality. It is not a separate thing.

Some players actually take pride in playing games that lack in this respect saying the game "demands skill",it is "hard mode", "sorts out the riff-raff" or whatever. I study usability and user experience and i shake my head bemused when I read stuff like this. Would you say that I'm wasting my time?

First off, Usability =/= Quality, it's akin to Ergonomics (and the game does fine to that respect)

Secondly, the word you are looking for is Familiarity. It's not impossible to learn how to navigate the UI, and combat works great when you gets some points invested in relevant skills, and use anything *other than* the noob hatchet. You can apply this phliosophy to ALL games you think are too complicated for their own good.

I had plenty fun spearing rabbits with a short sword... once I figured out that [alt] primes a stabbing attack. My point with that, again, it's not that hard to figure out or research. People just have zero patience for that which isn't familiar, and then tend to bore quickly with that which is.

That is why I love games like this.

Sorry, as a user experience person myself I felt the need to comment. Usability/user experience =/= ergonomics. If playing the game gave you back/neck strain issues, then it has a problem ergonomically. 

If it were impossible to use the UI, that would be one thing, but difficult to navigate UI, UI that lacks features seen in other modern games, lack of documentation, etc. still negatively affect user experience.

Usability generally consists of three interacting components: the user (player), the system (MO), and the environment (nebulous here; could be the computer system MO's running on). The user's background knowledge and expectations, either a lack of or mismatched expectations, could negatively impact the user experience, but likewise the game lacking features that gamers have come to expect (e.g. tutorial, feedback for actions, etc.) could also negatively affect user experience.

Often, usability is measured with the metrics effectiveness, efficiency, and satisfaction. From ISO standard 9241:

effectiveness: the accuracy and completeness with which specified users can achieve specified goals in particular environments; efficiency: the resources expended in relation to the accuracy and completeness of goals achieved; satisfaction: the comfort and acceptability of the work system to its users and other people affected by its use.

So here we might define effectiveness as "whether a player can complete an action such as chopping woodat all."

Efficiency could be thought of in this case as "whether the UI, or controls, allow the player to complete actions efficiently."

Satisfaction should be obvious.

Just throwing these thoughts out.

Edit: What you might have been thinking of is cognitive ergonomics or human factors. Still, I would argue that usability is more applicable here.

• PoopBucketPoopBucket Member Posts: 66

[mod edit - do not discuss specific moderation instances on the forums, especialy when the circumstances are not as you say]

• HodoHodo Member Posts: 542
    Originally posted by Anubisan

It has a learning curve, yes. But if you can get past that... the game is actually a very derp sandbox with a lot of features. It is not for the feint of heart though.

(Fixed it for you)

So much crap, so little quality.

• DrNo172000DrNo172000 Member Posts: 48

Here's to hoping goblinworks don't fail.

• deathshrouddeathshroud Member Posts: 1,366
    Originally posted by DrNo172000

their game has 0 similarities with MO.

there are 2 types of mmo, imitators and innovaters.

• olepiolepi Member EpicPosts: 2,828

I had the same experience as the OP. Started off and it was night, I could see nothing. After a while, I just quit.

Kinda like going to a movie, and having the first 20 minutes being a blank screen. Not a good first impression.

I did see some of the world, rubber-banding deer and huge empty spaces.

------------
    2024: 47 years on the Net.

• DrNo172000DrNo172000 Member Posts: 48
    Originally posted by deathshroud

I meant as a sandbox in general (or least half sandbox according to their blog).  However they don't actually have a game as of yet, just ideas on paper.  So here's hoping they pull off those ideas.  Personally I think the UO style sandbox (as much as I love UO), which is what MO draws from heavily is outdated.  MO's style of gameplay only breeds asshats and clowns, there needs to be mechanics that actually make that behavior a real risk.

• PoopBucketPoopBucket Member Posts: 66

Don't they only have like 3 employees left?  How does anyone expect their product to improve with less people?

• xDayxxDayx Member Posts: 712
    Originally posted by PoopBucket

Don't they only have like 3 employees left?  How does anyone expect their product to improve with less people?

5 permanent employees + temporary contracted employees.

The game is improving since the beginning. Im having fun playing it with my guild. 

• realnasterealnaste Member Posts: 98

Originally posted by Hodo   Let MO die, and lets hope someone good picks up the pieces.  

I have a better idea.
    You can sit on your ass, stare at the ceiling hoping all you want for shit to happen, and I'll keep on playing games I enjoy. How does that sound? :)

I meant as a sandbox in general (or least half sandbox according to their blog).  However they don't actually have a game as of yet, just ideas on paper.  So here's hoping they pull off those ideas.  Personally I think the UO style sandbox (as much as I love UO), which is what MO draws from heavily is outdated.  MO's style of gameplay only breeds asshats and clowns, there needs to be mechanics that actually make that behavior a real risk.

plenty of people have ideas on bits of paper, Embers OF Caerus etc.. But im sure MO looked amazing on paper but the reality is a little different. Hopefully they do succeed like you said but i would rather have a full sandbox over a half sandbox. I think archeage suits those looking for a half sandbox better than pathfinder.

• FastSlothFastSloth Member Posts: 132
    plenty of people have ideas on bits of paper, Embers OF Caerus etc.. But im sure MO looked amazing on paper but the reality is a little different. Hopefully they do succeed like you said but i would rather have a full sandbox over a half sandbox. I think archeage suits those looking for a half sandbox better than pathfinder.

I honestly doubt MO looked great on paper. You would notice if MO was actually based on an existent design of a game. If there was a proper thieving system planned, or a proper combat system, or a proper horse breeding system, or a proper anything system, you could watch StarVault working step per step towards implementing said systems.

I doubt MO follows a real design. From what I know about SVs devs, I doubt they're able to formulate their goal on paper. I'm much more inclined to believe that the design of MO, if it exists, reads somewhat like: "And then we're going to make everything absolutely awesome by implementing awesome guards that will work awesomely, and then we have guards and thieves and illegally goods and combat in town but the awesome guards will make everything much more awesome for the player, so they can continue doing other awesome things. Oh and there'll be that one kickass sword in that awesomeness event. That'll be awesome." ;/

-64bit

They have been promissing that for oh, YEARS!  Not something I would hold my breath for.

Fail game is a fail game.  Like some other things..........They know who I am talking about.

Originally posted by realnaste

Originally posted by Hodo   Let MO die, and lets hope someone good picks up the pieces.  

I have a better idea.
    You can sit on your ass, stare at the ceiling hoping all you want for shit to happen, and I'll keep on playing games I enjoy. How does that sound? :)

Heres a better idea, how about you learn how to make a complete sentence.  Then we will work from there.

• realnasterealnaste Member Posts: 98
    Originally posted by Hodo

I have a better idea.

Heres a better idea, how about you learn how to make a complete sentence.  Then we will work from there.

You seriously had a problem with understanding what I tried to say?

• ZooceZooce Member Posts: 586
    Originally posted by Anubisan

If you can stomach a little grief and anguish in your games though, MO can give you a feeling of immersion and danger that you won't feel in other games. When you step out of town with your hard earned gear and know that you can be killed and looted at any time and by anyone, it really makes a big difference (at least for people like me). It can really get your heart pumping and make you actually care about what you are doing.

Darkfall gives plenty of danger feelings.

I downloaded the MO beta? some years ago, holy goodness it was bad.  Uninstalled almost immediately.  

Originally posted by FastSloth

I honestly doubt MO looked great on paper. You would notice if MO was actually based on an existent design of a game. If there was a proper thieving system planned, or a proper combat system, or a proper horse breeding system, or a proper anything system, you could watch StarVault working step per step towards implementing said systems.

I doubt MO follows a real design. From what I know about SVs devs, I doubt they're able to formulate their goal on paper. I'm much more inclined to believe that the design of MO, if it exists, reads somewhat like: "And then we're going to make everything absolutely awesome by implementing awesome guards that will work awesomely, and then we have guards and thieves and illegally goods and combat in town but the awesome guards will make everything much more awesome for the player, so they can continue doing other awesome things. Oh and there'll be that one kickass sword in that awesomeness event. That'll be awesome." ;/

so what your saying is they completely winged 4 years of development time with no concept plan or anything? because i specifically rmeember a press release and i dont remember a single bad comment by anyone about the mentioned features of it.

• warmaster670warmaster670 Member Posts: 1,384

I have a better idea.

You seriously had a problem with understanding what I tried to say?

apparently he needs to learn basic english.

Apparently stating the truth in my sig is "trolling"
    Sig typo fixed thanks to an observant stragen001.

best comeback when you cant think of anything it to critic someones grammar.

Best comeback when you cant think of anything is  (removed "it") to critic someones grammar.

You dont say?  But while I'm at it let me help you out.  Fixes are underlined.

• ragnarrogragnarrog Member Posts: 16

Best comeback when you cant think of anything is  (removed "it") to critic someones grammar.

You don`t say, failed grammar nazi ;).

• ToferioToferio Member UncommonPosts: 1,411
    Originally posted by ragnarrog

You don`t say, failed grammar nazi ;).

That's a pretty good burn.

• FastSlothFastSloth Member Posts: 132

Also, it's criticize, you noobs :D

• ToferioToferio Member UncommonPosts: 1,411
    Originally posted by FastSloth

Also, it's criticize, you noobs :D

I've always been curious if one should replace period with smiley or use both. Using both is kinda awkward, on other hand there is no rule saying one can skip period if smiley is used, is there?

This discussion has been closed.