Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

TERA: Our Official TERA Review

1234568»

Comments

• IllyssiaIllyssia Member UncommonPosts: 1,507

I think Bill was playing a different game from the rest of us as to give TERA 7.7 seems a very high score for what is basically a bad game. IGN for example, usually a site famed for throwing soft balls at bad games, only rated it 6.5, and the quote that sticks in my mind about hte game is :

The story is uninspired and utterly bereft of characters actually worth caring about, and voicework ranges from mediocre to downright embarrassing.

That was my take on the game and I would have given it about 6/10 myself. This game is clearly quickly done mmo for the Korean PC Bang market where graphics count for more than actually having any solid RPG gameplay to it, and the game pays for itself by a full-blown cash shop for the players and time cards.

Game is a turd everyone...avoid! 

• elockeelocke Member UncommonPosts: 4,335
    Originally posted by Lazarus71

Loved the graphics, loved the combat and loved the world. However after hitting 40 on my Sorc I just can't take the questing anymore. Never have I felt such dread at going to the next quest hub to start the same repetitive questing all over again. I will admit that It could just be that I am havoing a bad case of MMO burnout, but I just can't force myself to log in anymore.

Funny you mention this, because it's the exact same dread I feel when playing SWTOR.  I think these quest hub games, while fun at first, don't know when to ease it up a bit and keep the same pace.  Ends up being just a grind to level via this way, much like grinding mobs was the issue with MMOs pre WoW era.  This is why TSO and GW2 are evolving the quest hub grind by making it more organic, freeform and rewarding.  Plus scaling or lack of levels really helps a game that revolves around quests.  Tera, if it did this, would probably be pretty good.  But then..there isn't much else in the game to get excited about.  Like exploration, go explore in GW2 or TSW and then try exploring in Tera and you will see where it fails.

• BananaSoupBananaSoup Member UncommonPosts: 180

1st. I belive reviewer's an old mmo player with decent experience with the genre so the score in his eyes is a score of a "I seen it all long time ago" player,

2nd. If someone is new to the mmo gaming then he MIGHT like the game a little more,

3rd. If a player comes from grindy-games where he spent a lot of time and isn't tired of same stuff we see in Tera then he MIGHT like the game more,

This is why ppl do not agree with the reviewer. In my eyes (i play mmos since 1999) this game is nothing that i can enjoy in a long run since i am tired of all this stuff I was doing in many other games before and just COMBAT SYSTEM nor GRAPHICS cant save it. I played this game and tried all classes. Finally i decided to roll a popori archer. Lasted till lvl 33 and now i just dont want to play it anymore. I tried to ,some day ago, and just chatted on guild chat with guildies never leaving safe zone then logging off. This game is boring to me as THERES NOTHING NEW IN IT beside combat system ( graphics is meant to be better since we have better and better pc's). Bah.... this game is retail (even longer in Asia) and i still feel like playimg BETA. 

Like i said in a post on previous pages. Score is quite objective (if not even too high) for a player that is with the genre for a longer time.

PS. If GW2 fails to deliver all those changes they promise I think i'll leave the genre coz it became too "generic" to me to enjoy it.

Regards.

/EDIT minor errors :)

• evilastroevilastro Member Posts: 4,270

For the record, IGN gave SWTOR a 9, and only gave TERA a 6.5

Clearly SWTOR gives a better first impression for reviewers. Whether this is relevant to the longevity of either game as a MMO is another matter. But given the short time frame that reviewers have to work with they have to base it on the first few weeks of gameplay.

The TERA score given was moer than fair, and the point is that you should be reading what the reviewer actually said, not just jumping to an obscure number which means nothing without the text.

Here is the closing text of the IGN review and I couldnt agree more:

"Tera's an action-MMO that nails the “action” part and then manages a face-palm-inducing face-plant on all the other bits. Combat moves quickly and feels great, but dirt-dull quests, a generic, disjointed story, repetition, repetition, and repetition ensure that any fun you might stumble across is short-lived. Even grouping to take on colossal, world-roaming boss monsters – initially a thrill few other MMOs can match – eventually grows old due to a lack of variety. Between impressive graphics and flashy battles, Tera has mountains of style. Substance, however, is still sadly lacking."

• GravargGravarg Member UncommonPosts: 3,424

I'll start by saying, I haven't played this game at all.  I like the idea and all the videos I've seen.  There's just 2 big glaring things I can't get past before I would play this game.  First is the Revenue Model.  Other than guild wars, I've never played an MMO that I liked with this revenue model.  Second is the graphics.  They aren't bad, but just the total opposite of my tastes.  From the videos and screenshots I've seen, the game looks too asian for me.  I mean, that's to be expected, but they are trying to bring it to the western market.  I've played some games before with asian graphics, similar to TERA, but I didn't mind the graphics as much, since they were all F2P.

• Iced0verIced0ver Member Posts: 49
    Originally posted by Gravarg

I'll start by saying, I haven't played this game at all.  I like the idea and all the videos I've seen.  There's just 2 big glaring things I can't get past before I would play this game.  First is the Revenue Model.  Other than guild wars, I've never played an MMO that I liked with this revenue model.  Second is the graphics.  They aren't bad, but just the total opposite of my tastes.  From the videos and screenshots I've seen, the game looks too asian for me.  I mean, that's to be expected, but they are trying to bring it to the western market.  I've played some games before with asian graphics, similar to TERA, but I didn't mind the graphics as much, since they were all F2P.

Graphics are nice. I wish Eyefinity was supported, however.  They really aren't all that "Asian," so I'm not exactly sure what you are refering to. Maybe the character models? Asian devs do like them skimpy haha. Otherwise, it's all pretty pixels. 

You can play through the prologue free through your browser now. I tried it, and the graphics aren't the same as actually having the game running off your computer, but otherwise the prologue is fairly good and you will get to the see the graphics/models for your yourself.

• sodade21sodade21 Member UncommonPosts: 349

my score would it be 8-8.5 as it is now.. and when they release proper pvp rewards and meaning plus the bgs and server VS server i would put lik 9 to 9.5  and i would put even a 10 if the quests/lvl would be less generic more complex and more dynamic!

• Mak5548Mak5548 Member Posts: 1
    The game is rigged, most of the so called players I was adventuring with were no more than paid employees directing me game's novelty store. "look at the pretty costumes, you can buy one too" as if 20 bucks a month 'after' we have already bought the game for 50 wasn't enough. is just an insult to the average gamer. The game its self however was amazingly similar to every RPG-MMO ever created. I will say that the combat system is very refreshing. However, it’s merely a great new spin on a very old genre. If you’re looking for a real change, you won’t find it here.

The game starts out well, but then you get to the first cut scene (and every forced dry acted cut scene after) which will make you rapidly hit the escape button before it forces your eye to twitch sporadically.  There is no doubt that this genre has potential but gathering random quests for a weak story line was rather dull.

All joking aside though, who cares about the story line? We want end game content. Vanarch of the realm? I'm afraid the elections there have been rigged and you’re going to be stuck with what they give you. Don't forget to sell the novelties!

My final words-
    Memorial lol
  • corpusccorpusc Member UncommonPosts: 1,341
    Originally posted by BadSpock
    Originally posted by corpusc
    Originally posted by BadSpock

For a mediocre run-of-the-mill completely safe and standard with a unique gimmick (combat/vanarchs) or two AAA subscription based MMO, it is very good.

i like how unique combat is labelled a gimmick here.  lol

Just like AOC's combat gimmick.

Or Rift's gimmick of Rifts.

Same pig, new lipstick.

And that lipstick always wears off.

This genre needs some fundamental shifts in design, not 1-2 changes and the rest cut-and-paste from WoW/EQ.

changing the combat is THE most fundamental shift.   its a shame that there are so many "gamers" out there that don't care about the....you know...GAMEplay.

new lipstick.... lol  yeah.... changing the heart of the gameplay is just totally skin deep cosmetics.   rofl

Tera's combat cannot be reasonably compared to what you just compared them to.

---------------------------

Corpus Callosum    

---------------------------

• MirariMirariMirariMirari Member UncommonPosts: 47

HONESTLY PLEASE DON'T GET OFFENDED.

I don't think the combat is all that great, it's alright but alot of MMO's use the same way of combat, clicky clickly every second. 

Although I love the races, classes and customization

I really don't know what to put here.

• blizzardofme72blizzardofme72 Member Posts: 2

I keep seeing so many mixed reviews and opinions on this game. I loved how the gameplay looked as well as the graphics in vidoes posted online that i've seen.  So I finally gave it a try. After dealing with the prologue,I  deleted  the game and it left a bad taste that makes me not want to go back. I have read in places that the prologue is the worst thing to judge the game by to be fair.

But it is basically the first direction they seem to guide you to as the tutorial. It was horrid. Maybe better suited for players with experience in the game to try out a race or skill set that they havent tried yet. But to direct people to it as a tutorial is just wrong!!! Its just a starting zone you get tossed into without any of the tutorial guidence you'd normally get in any other game. you just go and click buttons to figure things out for yourself,you cant change or really adjust anything or much of anything,,it was jus tthe wrong thing to guide a new player to the game to.

Sadly,,that was my first impression and probably last.

• FurmorFurmor Member Posts: 1

Two downsides I feel now is that when it comes to a boss monster in story quests. It's kinda frustrating for everyone camping the same mob. You need to get the first hit in order to count as a kill for the boss monster (and finish the quest). That provides an unfair advantage to classes like archer and it's also a waste of time.

When you need to interact (like breaking shards) quest's subjects that are guarded by mobs. It really makes me angry with someone just randomly coming in and stole your shards while you are busy killing the mobs guarding them. You need to kill the mobs first because attacks will interrupt your interactions.

Yes, I am only a lv15 lancer now.