Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

TERA: Our Official TERA Review

Comments

• joeelmexjoeelmex Member Posts: 1

I believe the score is a little low for Tera, I have played every major MMO that has been released.  Here are some things I will bring up;

At Release;

BEST GUI from the start, lots of modifications build into it (Can have more then 2 boxes open at the same time)

Graphics are the best I have seen for a MMO

Combat feels fluid.  I love the dodging system.

I have used my mount to travel from middle of the continent to top without LOADING screen. (You cant say that from many recently release MMO including GW2.)

I feel like I am playing a FPS with RPG elements over a standard tab 1,2,3,4 MMO.  

This is my opinion from the latest 3 MMO I have played.  I bought the collection edition for all 3

Rift = 8.1

SWTOR=6 (I did not reach max level, I got way to bored by the time I was 42)

Tera = 8.2 (currently level 41)

Finally I have had no issues getting into groups and feel the community is overall helpful.  

• ThorkuneThorkune Member UncommonPosts: 1,969
    Originally posted by BadSpock
    Originally posted by corpusc

For a mediocre run-of-the-mill completely safe and standard with a unique gimmick (combat/vanarchs) or two AAA subscription based MMO, it is very good.

i like how unique combat is labelled a gimmick here.  lol

This genre needs some fundamental shifts in design, not 1-2 changes and the rest cut-and-paste from WoW/EQ.

I agree totally. I think GW2 is taking a step in the right direction...let's just hope they go a few more before it's over.

• teakboisteakbois Member Posts: 2,154

This genre needs some fundamental shifts in design, not 1-2 changes and the rest cut-and-paste from WoW/EQ.

The genre needs more EQ.  The shift has been to instant gratification without need for communication, which is the polar opposite of EQ

• KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,373

For a mediocre run-of-the-mill completely safe and standard with a unique gimmick (combat/vanarchs) or two AAA subscription based MMO, it is very good.

Just like AOC's combat gimmick.

Or Rift's gimmick of Rifts.

Same pig, new lipstick.

And that lipstick always wears off.

I agree with your statement completely, however I'm at a loss to say what that would mean exactly in terms of new features.

Any suggestions?

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• Lazarus71Lazarus71 Member UncommonPosts: 1,081

Loved the graphics, loved the combat and loved the world. However after hitting 40 on my Sorc I just can't take the questing anymore. Never have I felt such dread at going to the next quest hub to start the same repetitive questing all over again. I will admit that It could just be that I am havoing a bad case of MMO burnout, but I just can't force myself to log in anymore.

No signature, I don't have a pen

• Mike_LMike_L Member UncommonPosts: 72

I gotta admit that I find TERA boring. It's looking good and all but the grind fest quickly got to me. I lost count of how many times I had to go kill the same kind of mobs while leveling up rather fast and I won't be renewing my subscription after the trial.

If it ain't dead you're not pressing 2 hard enough.

• Chrome1980Chrome1980 Member Posts: 511

Just like AOC's combat gimmick.

Or Rift's gimmick of Rifts.

Same pig, new lipstick.

And that lipstick always wears off.

Some ideas would be nice. What kind of fundamental shifts you are looking for?

• kiiixkiiix Member Posts: 93

After playing this game for around 70 hours, i think its a pretty fair review.

That one in a million Anime loving,Workout crazy, Gamer.
    KiX0@Steam/Raptr

• BigbadwlfBigbadwlf Member UncommonPosts: 117
    You have to look at the review in context. Both SW:TOR and Tera were rated both on one aspect of the game, which is the leveling portion. In that regard it makes sense that SW:TOR got a 8.5 and Tera got 7.7 as SW:TOR has a better grind to cap then Tera does.

That said I will not accept any score that only judges one portion of the game, 50+ hours or not. I could care less if the reviewer got to 60 in Tera and gave it a 4. The point is that he at least played the whole game and can give an accurate assessment.

MMORPG.com your job is to give fair an accurate reviews of games players want to play. You know darn well how MMOs work, there's a leveling game and a completely separate endgame portion. How can MMO players take your reviews seriously if you yourselves don't treat games like an MMO?
  • xposeidonxposeidon Member Posts: 384
    Originally posted by Bigbadwlf
    You have to look at the review in context. Both SW:TOR and Tera were rated both on one aspect of the game, which is the leveling portion. In that regard it makes sense that SW:TOR got a 8.5 and Tera got 7.7 as SW:TOR has a better grind to cap then Tera does.

That said I will not accept any score that only judges one portion of the game, 50+ hours or not. I could care less if the reviewer got to 60 in Tera and gave it a 4. The point is that he at least played the whole game and can give an accurate assessment.

MMORPG.com your job is to give fair an accurate reviews of games players want to play. You know darn well how MMOs work, there's a leveling game and a completely separate endgame portion. How can MMO players take your reviews seriously if you yourselves don't treat games like an MMO?

I only got to 42 so I can understand the reviewer not getting there. Also, most people have taken this review seriously since most agree with it and think it's pretty fair.

Remember... all I'm offering is the truth. Nothing more.

• PureblockPureblock Member Posts: 7
    this score is being bias for western game like gw2. high level players on tera will not agree with this one.
  • channel84channel84 Member UncommonPosts: 585

Obviously mmorpg.com haven't been paid like in SWTOR case.

Comparing TERA with RIFT and SWTOR. I cannot fathom how did it not get at least an 8.

Basically Tera = rift + better combat mechanic + BAM + politic system.

Reputation of mmorpg.com doing honest and unbiase review is going down the drain and the quality of video they put up for GW2 and such is dissapointing for a professional gaming website.

• TribbleHuntrTribbleHuntr Member Posts: 4

Originally posted by Sorrow

Originally posted by BillMurphy

Originally posted by bluemagi

But what really pissed me off about this game is calling it an "Asian Grinder". 

But I didn't call it one. If you read that paragraph again, you'll see that I said it would be one without its other features and content. And no, the term's not racist either. I don't think I have to explain why.

In fact, you might want to read the review and realize that I LIKE the game you came in to defend before going into a blind rage post.

LOL you must not have played much of it, either that or you are buying into this BS about end game content that is coming eventually. AS the game sits now it is nothing but another  Asian grinder, counting on the fact that american gamers, correction american's in general have become total and complete morons.

These guys took a F2P asian grinder, 1 of a million just like it and convinced americans that don't know any better that it is different and innovative, thankfully however only a small amount of our overall population of idiots actually fell for this one.

But hey I'm not judging in fact I feel sorry for you, you are just one more victim of our governments slave class mentality agenda public education conditioning program. Sadly you may not even be the first generation, we now have 3 generations that have been educated to be non thinking, compliant, worker drones.

Dear TribbleHuntr,

You have been issued a warning by one of our moderators.

Warning Category: Trolling

Reason: Posting excessive negative comments or baiting others to respond in a negative manner is considered trolling on the MMORPG.com forums.

This warning was generated from the following post on our discussion forum:

Thread: TERA: Our Official TERA Review

Below is the content of the post:

------------------------------------------------

Originally posted by BillMurphy

Originally posted by MMOGamer71

Wait didn't Mr. Murphy rate SWTOR 8.7? Pretty much makes all "official" reviews questionable IMO.

Actually that was Mike Bitton, not me. FYI. :)

So let me see if I have this right, Mr. Murphy.

If you give Tera a bad score... fanboys bash you?

If you give Tera a good score... fanboys bash you?

If you don't give the game a score.... you are not doing your job?

If Mike Bitton gives some other game a good score... fanboys bash you?

If you give a score for a game 4 years ago that was good at the time but has gone down hill.... fanboys bash you?

Wow, Brother.... all I need to know is if you were the 3rd shooter on the grassy knoll!!!

################ So Im a troll for sticking up for the OP... and this guy Is not a troll... RIGHT?? Way to play it down the line MMORPG!! And Im out!!################

• k-damagek-damage Member CommonPosts: 738

I couldn't touch this game since 2 weeks ago. Once the combat novelty wears off (and it does wear off, unless it's the first action game you play), there's nothing left to keep it different from every other generic mmos around.

***** Before hitting that reply button, please READ the WHOLE thread you're about to post in *****

• silvermembersilvermember Member UncommonPosts: 526
    Originally posted by channel84

Comparing TERA with RIFT and SWTOR. I cannot fathom how did it not get at least an 8.

Reputation of mmorpg.com doing honest and unbiase review is going down the drain and the quality of video they put up for GW2 and such is dissapointing for a professional gaming website.

Considering that IGN, which has be used the most for marketing even using it as a way to get member into prime membership, TERA gave it a 6.5, I think MikeB was pretty generous with the 7.5. I mean I was shocked when I started reading the review, I would have expected IGN to buckle on the marketing department and gave it a higher score.

But i suppose, fanboys are never going to be happy about anything, even a mediocre game with a forgetable combat system and yes I played the freaking game i even spent 70 bucks trying to get into KOBT and got bored at level 30, forced myself to play to 44 and quit, 4 weeks into my 8 week sub.

• channel84channel84 Member UncommonPosts: 585

Originally posted by silvermember

snip

Considering that IGN, which has be used the most for marketing even using it as a way to get member into prime membership, TERA gave it a 6.5, I think MikeB was pretty generous with the 7.5. I mean I was shocked when I started reading the review, I would have expected IGN to buckle on the marketing department and gave it a higher score.

But i suppose, fanboys are never going to be happy about anything, even a mediocre game with a forgetable combat system and yes I played the freaking game i even spent 70 bucks trying to get into KOBT and got bored at level 30, forced myself to play to 44 and quit, 4 weeks into my 8 week sub.

How is this game worst than any AAA mmo on the market right now? Even SWTOR with it's superior story quest is not superior to TERA if you review it in all aspect (gvg, politic, combat system) and the "boring" questing in Tera is way much better than aion and even rift imo, then later due to the more interesting plot twist and characterization in the main story quest. Combat is what most player spent their time doing in an mmo and TERA manage to revolutionize it. So for a gamers who have been playing a lot of mmo in the past, you'll definately appreciate the improvement more. So far on the market there isn't any MMO offering a more complete package than Tera to mmo gamer and i challenge you to compare any AAA mmo to it and state why it deserved this score other than it's korean.

• Adhesive33Adhesive33 Member UncommonPosts: 227

I like how Eligium recently got a 6.5 score for innovation, beating out Tera's 6. Haha.

• nukamnukam Member Posts: 3

Originally posted by silvermember

• nukamnukam Member Posts: 3

The korean version and  US version  are not the same game, therefore your arguement is invalid.

• AkaisAkais Member UncommonPosts: 274

Nice work on the review. I don't agree with all of your points and think the score could have been a trifle higher, but , I do feel the review was both fair and thoughtful. I think many would appreciate seeing more reviews done this way going forward.

• NewmoonNewmoon Member UncommonPosts: 126

If many parts of the game feel ripped from other games, how is that hardly surprising? The devs on this game stole the code for Lineage 3 from NCSoft, got caught at it, the judge said they stole it, but refused to give an injunction against them releasing it. Having gotten away with that, why wouldn't they simply steal large chunks of content from other games?

If you don't think TERA is a bad game, why is it already 1/2 off at Amazon? At least Rift waited 3 months before falling that far.

• WoopinWoopin Member UncommonPosts: 1,012

I would say 7.7 is a bit high personally but not everyone has the same taste in games some things put people off that others love. As an all round score I would say maybe 7 dead. It is a good game don't get me wrong but there is just something lacking in the game maybe I will find this when I hit max level who knows.

• antfaceantface Member UncommonPosts: 5

An honest and pretty accurate review in my opinion. I would have rated it a bit lower myself. It is an average MMO at best. A few elements might be above average but the rest are average if not below average. I tried to play this with 3 of my friends and we all quit pretty quickly because of how boring the questing was. They quests were never challenging and always boring. We never came close to dying. We even tried skipping ahead and doing the BAM dungeons only but the game held us back (by not letting us and/or giving us unusable gear because our levels were too low). I played Lancer which was excruciatingly boring but even my friends who were dps and heals were bored as well. Storylines are not engaging/non-existant. Choosing a race is a comedic undertaking and not in a good way. The world is broken up into "compartments" that the game forces you to quest in. There was no sense of an open world or an ability to explore (at least in as far as we made it in the game). For some reason the mounts really bothered me. The same exact horse for EVERYBODY. If you are a 4 foot panda thing or a 10 foot golem your horses are exactly the same just perfectly sized to your body. At least you could spam spacebar to annoy yourself further. I don't play it anymore but I honestly enjoyed Vindictus  more than this game. I'm glad for those of you who are enjoying the game. I honestly really wanted to myself. Unfortunately it wasn't meant to be. I would have rated this game in the low 7's because other than the graphics (which are undeniably beautiful) and a DIFFERENT combat system (but not necessarilly better or fun) everything else is average or below average. 

(We/I only leveled into the 20s somewhere so I am biased in that regard. There wasn't enough to get me to keep playing beyond that.)  

• tvalentinetvalentine Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 4,216

7.7 seems about right just because of the combat, unfortunetly the rest of the game seems to be lacking anything that's different from your run-of-the-mill mmo. It's still a game with small zones and hand holding (really a themepark which isnt a bad thing i guess) with the combat being the only thing that stands out. Been playing for a bit and have a lvl 32 and i've had fun, but i can't help but notice how small the zones are and how closed off the zones are to eachother. I don't feel like im in a fictional worl, just a game where the main goal is to reach max level and never go back to the lowbie zones ever again. I wasn't expecting a sandbox, but i also wasn't expecting a game that had such small zones and little content other than leveling and an instance every now and then for the early levels.

Playing: EVE Online
    Favorite MMOs: WoW, SWG Pre-cu, Lineage 2, UO, EQ, EVE online
    Looking forward to: Archeage, Kingdom Under Fire 2
    KUF2's Official Website - http://www.kufii.com/ENG/ -