Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

TERA: Our Official TERA Review

Comments

• NorpanNorpan Member CommonPosts: 319
    I think it was a OK review, although I didn't get the con for the UI that has everything I would like a UI to have. Resize, add bars etc. Theres no limits to it at all. So didn't get that one at all. Maybe you didn't play around with it enough Bill? And the score was alittle low as well in my book. This game has more innovation etc then SWTOR. A all around better game by far, and should have gotten at least 8.5 in my book. And if it's true that you only got to lvl 30 before making this review, then I guess that ladt +1.0 in score comes in your last 30 lvls. ;)
  • n3v3rriv3rn3v3rriv3r Member UncommonPosts: 496
    Originally posted by Paragus1

I still don't see why people are upset about this score being low.   It's a 7.7 or a C+, making it an "OK" game.   It's not the next big thing, but it's hardly a train wreck.   It's a working game with decent enough graphics.   In these parts that's actually an accomplishment.

OK. You gotta be kidding me. Repeating the same mantra gain and again.

No. Period. If all games are 8 and more then 7.7 is not a good game. Nothing can change the interpretation of this number.

ffs this is like reading a pamphlet  of a political party with their statistics and numbers

• DarkPonyDarkPony Member Posts: 5,566
    Originally posted by BarCrow

Originally posted by Vunak23

*snip*

[mod edit]

[mod edit]

Hear, hear.

Somehow it's a law of nature that as soon as scores are added to a review, the shit hits "the fan" (and sometimes the hater too).

Seems strong reactions to scores and trying to attack a writer's credibility are paramount for proper functioning of the universe or something.

Fun fact: It's most often the readers which have way too much vested interest in the hype or dehype of games. For them to accuse the writer for not having integrity is a textbook example of "casting the first stone".

@Those who are comparing the score to other games: mmorpg.com does re-reviews to be able to cover a game's long term value and growth or lack thereof. [mod edit]

• gessekai332gessekai332 Member UncommonPosts: 861

a very fair review. after reading the previous impressions by Bill on TERA, i was disappointed because they was praising TERA a bit too much and not emphasizing enough on its glaring flaws as much. However, i realize those were only "impressions" and i am very happy that the actual review was well rounded and very objective.  Its good to know that even though Bill states he likes the game, he sill maintains that aspect of objectivity that a professional reviewer should

Most memorable games: AoC(Tryanny PvP), RIFT, GW, GW2, Ragnarok Online, Aion, FFXI, FFXIV, Secret World, League of Legends (Silver II rank)

• BananaSoupBananaSoup Member UncommonPosts: 180
    Originally posted by n3v3rriv3r
    Originally posted by Paragus1

I still don't see why people are upset about this score being low.   It's a 7.7 or a C+, making it an "OK" game.   It's not the next big thing, but it's hardly a train wreck.   It's a working game with decent enough graphics.   In these parts that's actually an accomplishment.

OK. You gotta be kidding me. Repeating the same mantra gain and again.

No. Period. If all games are 8 and more then 7.7 is not a good game. Nothing can change the interpretation of this number.

[mod edit]

U should take an example from me. I note this game as 7/10 not because i read some review. I played it and i rate it in my own scale. I can agree with most of this review.... i just rate it like i feel so i dont compare my note to the reviewer's

Reviews are SUBJECTIVE and there is a chance (just a chance) that Author enjoyed sw:tor more than tera.... its so fking simple

*edit lol quoted wrong person... too many beers... but u got the point

• ThorkuneThorkune Member UncommonPosts: 1,969

disregard

• AcorniaAcornia Member UncommonPosts: 273

The only thing that I would give low marks for in TERA is the new LFG channel.  It has become the Barrens chat channel of the game since it is heard game wide. 

My score for the LFG channel is zero/10.

Otherwise I agre with the rest of the review.

• PurgatusPurgatus Member Posts: 342

This is a very well done review.

Though I would have rated it lower myself, I can see why you liked it.

Which I would point out is much more important than its number rating. I got from the review what he liked and didnt like. The numbers are far too subjective in comparison.

Originally posted by DarkPony

@Those who are comparing the score to other games: mmorpg.com does re-reviews to be able to cover a game's long term value and growth or lack thereof.  [mod edit]

Nah. I can tell you what it means. It means what you already said yourself: it is time to be very conservative when rating games. If people here on this site started to review all games (not only a few selected) conservatively then there will be at least one critic of game reviews less.

• Reas43Reas43 Member Posts: 297
    Oh. That was unfortunate. I don't think anyone was of the impression the score or your impressions would change after posting. Don't get on one on ones with posts here. Take the feedback and roll with it. I make no secret I like the game and disagree with it's score, but like I said, it's mostly the manner in which the weight of the score varies between authors. I think people should learn to trust their instincts and not base their opinions based on reviews. It's just entertainment. Roll with it.
  • evilastroevilastro Member Posts: 4,270

Whenever the discrepancy between a reviewer score and average user score is too wide I tend to raise a eyebrow and say: nope. Next one.

uh and what do I mean by average user score? well metacritic, this sites metric. I wonder why popular sites tend to review this game so low, hmmm..

Uh have you actually checked Metacritic? The user rating there is 7.7 which is identical to the score you are lamenting.

http://www.metacritic.com/game/pc/tera

Originally posted by evilastro

Whenever the discrepancy between a reviewer score and average user score is too wide I tend to raise a eyebrow and say: nope. Next one.

Uh have you actually checked Metacritic? The user rating there is 7.7 which is identical to the score you are lamenting.

http://www.metacritic.com/game/pc/tera

Uh have you actually checked this whole thread? Mabe the answer to your post is there

• BillMurphyBillMurphy Former Managing EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 4,565
    "Like I said at the outset: It definitely has its drawbacks (which we covered), but by and large TERA is an enjoyable themepark MMO with fantastic combat and gorgeous visuals. It’s got plenty to do from level 1 to 60, the promise of great content to come, and some of the best action you’ll experience from any game on the market. There is a tough road ahead of En Masse with some heavy hitting AAA experiences coming down the pipe, but the team from Seattle should be proud. TERA stands mightily on its own as a unique, inherently fun, MMO experience. Even if you don’t wind up loving it as I have, you should definitely give it a try. Just get past the Isle of Dawn before you judge it, fight a BAM and try a dungeon. Chances are, you’ll see why I’ve been so charmed."

Insert smiley face and "can't we all just get along" emote that hasn't been invented yet.

Try to be excellent to everyone you meet. You never know what someone else has seen or endured.

My Review Manifesto
    Follow me on Twitter if you dare.

• UhwopUhwop Member UncommonPosts: 1,791

You guys should change the inovation rating to a Have we seen it before rating.

Action combat, not an inovation, just not widely used at this point.

The vanarch system, not an inovation either, just another feature that you'll only find in a few MMOs.

BAM's, again, not an inovatioin, just a rarely used feature.

The inovation rating is the one part of your reviews that I really care about because it's the part I'll read to see if I've played the game yet or not.  However, every time I read it I can't help but realize that I have played it before, It's not new, and there not really inovative at all.

Originally posted by WhiteLantern

And just so this post is not a total waste, I'll say that I was quite impressed that you had 50 hours /played and were still just over half-cap. That perked me up when I read it.

I dawdle a lot, but yeah. The early leveling is clearly intentionally fast. And it peters out the higher you go. Not really a grind at all, in fact it's quite nicely paced.

Try to be excellent to everyone you meet. You never know what someone else has seen or endured.

My Review Manifesto

• holdenhamletholdenhamlet Member EpicPosts: 3,772

That number's on the low end of most reviews.

I'm not sure what you want out of a UI but TERA's is great.  I mean, compare it to SWTOR.  It's like 2 generations ahead.

And as for the ftp stuff, I prefer ptp because you are guaranteed access to everything with your 15 dollars a month.  When it's ftp, you could end up spending more.  And it's certainly a more complete and fun game than like DDO, or the mess that LOTRO has become.  Not sure why you think TERA is on par with those games.

Anyway, it all depends on if EME implements BGs and the nexus system sooner than later.

As to the vanarch thing, I think it's kind of a cool thing for the ego-maniacs out there.  It personally strikes me as a non-plus.

@HoldenHamlet: According to the TERA CM, Scapes, Nexus is in and active. Just not really reaching the critical mass needed for it to truly be felt (in terms of number of level 60-ish participants). So keep your eyes peeled.

My Review Manifesto

• SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 31,892
    Originally posted by Uhwop

The vanarch system, not an inovation either, just another feature that you'll only find in a few MMOs.

The inovation rating is the one part of your reviews that I really care about because it's the part I'll read to see if I've played the game yet or not.  However, every time I read it I can't help but realize that I have played it before, It's not new, and there not really inovative at all.

hmmm, except that innovation doesn't necessarily mean "new to the known world". It means something newly introduced.

Action combat for an mmo that is open world is new. DDO had it before but that was an instanced game. I'm not sure if UO had it but I've not known any other mmo to have it other than RAiderZ which is coming out soon.

I've not seen a voting system for a leader in any mmo. Could you list the few you know?

BAMS are tough. They are more like open world bosses. However, their use is engineered more toward a small party or even a singl individual slaying them. Over say a huge raid party. So that seems a new use for such things.

Innovation also doesnt' have to be world shaking huge.

Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 
  • MMOGamer71MMOGamer71 Member UncommonPosts: 1,988
    Originally posted by BillMurphy
    Originally posted by MMOGamer71

Wait didn't Mr. Murphy rate SWTOR 8.7?  Pretty much makes all "official" reviews questionable IMO.

Actually that was Mike Bitton, not me. FYI. :) 

My bad and my apologizes.

• IllyssiaIllyssia Member UncommonPosts: 1,507

You can tell Bill has fallen for TERA as the marks look about 1-2 higher than I myself would give the game.

Word to the wise...this is a Korean mmo and is designed to hit the spot for the PC Bang game card gaming culture they have their. Not a game for most Western players, and I predict niche intere4st at best. 

• KanesterKanester Member UncommonPosts: 375

8.5 - 9.0 for me.... 7.7 is a Joke.

• Chrome1980Chrome1980 Member Posts: 511
    Originally posted by Kanester

8.5 - 9.0 for me.... 7.7 is a Joke.

5.0 to 6.0 for me....8.5 - 9.0 is a joke.

*grins*

• UhwopUhwop Member UncommonPosts: 1,791
    Originally posted by Sovrath

hmmm, except that innovation doesn't necessarily mean "new to the known world". It means something newly introduced.

Action combat for an mmo that is open world is new. DDO had it before but that was an instanced game. I'm not sure if UO had it but I've not known any other mmo to have it other than RAiderZ which is coming out soon.

I've not seen a voting system for a leader in any mmo. Could you list the few you know?

BAMS are tough. They are more like open world bosses. However, their use is engineered more toward a small party or even a singl individual slaying them. Over say a huge raid party. So that seems a new use for such things.

Innovation also doesnt' have to be world shaking huge.

No, I don't mean it's gotta be completely new, but nothingin Terra is even a slight alteration of something already done. 

DCUO?  Just because you might make one slight aleration to a mechanic doesn't make it inovative.  GW2 is inovating on the tab targetting and hotbar format of combat, they aren't just changing a small aspect of it, they're actually trying to do something new that hasn't actually been done in an MMO, at least not that I've ever experienced.

Is action combat in TERA an actual departure from DCUO?  I don't mean are the input methods diffierent, I mean what does it do that makes it stand apart, aside from animation locking? 

The Vanarch system, like I said is rare but not entirely new.  Even the review pointed that out.  I can't pull the name for the game off the top of my head, I only know that a couple of other, granted very obscure, MMO's have used an electoral system of voting in a "ruler". 

BAMs aren't even a slight twitst on world bosses.  They just put an emphasis on them.  WoW, EQ, MO, DF, they all had the same thing, they just weren't used as a primary game mechanic.  Just because you take something from the background and put it in the foreground doesn't make it an innovation.  That's like saying the internet became inovative in the late 90's and early 00's because it became a common feature in the American household. 

And innovation does in fact literally mean something new.  It doesn't mean a slight change to an old idea, it doesn't mean a rarely used idea being used more prominently.  It's literally a new idea.  Even if it is something that's been done before, it's been rethough and done in such a way that it's new.  GW2 combat mechanics is an innovation, TSW ability to move while casting is not.  Nor is TERA's action combat.

The only reason people think that innovation in MMO's doesn't mean that something is new is because it's not being done.  We instead get a different itteration of something we've done before, but isn't actually new in any real way; not even changed in such a way that you can say it's diffierent enough to be new  Pretty much everything that's being labelled as an innovation isn't really an inovation, when if you can point to another game and say, but I could do the exact same thing there.

In my own little way, what I was saying was, when you get right down to it the innovation rating on the reviews here almost always boils down to answering the question, have we done this before.   Reread the innovation rating in the review and tell me that's not what it's saying in a nutshell

"Some may claim that Vanarch (the idea of voting in “rulers” of zones on a monthly basis) is a new twist, but it’s something that’s been done before with games like Archlord as well. The rest of this is stuff we’ve seen before. Even the BAMs, fun as they are, are ripped straight from titles like Monster Hunter"

Everythig that says, is we've done it before.  Just because it wasn't done often, doesn't mean it's new.  When every review here reads exactly like that in the innovation rating, why not cut to the chase and just say it like it is.  Have we done this before?  Because that's not innovation.  I'm pretty confident in my assumption that the only reason he gave it a 6 is because they're rarely used features.  While not  new, at least they put stuff in that you're not going to find in most other MMO's. 

When no one's innovating in MMO's, at least some studios are finding rarely used features that are actually fun, and using them today.  Have we done it before is more accurate then is it an innovation.  Odds are most people haven't done these things in an MMO, but that doesn't mean it's innovative.  It just means the last games that used them weren't popular enough to have been experienced.

• Reas43Reas43 Member Posts: 297
    Well, among the low marks of the game he quoted guild UI utility. Same author that 1 and a half years ago gave 8 to DCUO. A game that had nothing that could resemble customization or user friendliness in it's UI much less guild utility at the time of the review. One of the quotes was "deep character customization" which on the superhero genre was laughable. So really I don't think the numbers conjured up for this review don't even match the content of the review. Its just disappointing for the people who give weight to these things.

Interestingly, you can almost guarantee the next two big reviews will never dip below 8 no matter how horrid they might be.
  • SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 31,892

And innovation does in fact literally mean something new.  It doesn't mean a slight change to an old idea

snip

In my own little way, what I was saying was, when you get right down to it the innovation rating on the reviews here almost always boils down to answering the question, have we done this before.   Reread the innovation rating in the review and tell me that's not what it's saying in a nutshell

"Some may claim that Vanarch (the idea of voting in “rulers” of zones on a monthly basis) is a new twist, but it’s something that’s been done before with games like Archlord as well. The rest of this is stuff we’ve seen before. Even the BAMs, fun as they are, are ripped straight from titles like Monster Hunter"

god i hate this editor

Actually "yeah" a slight change to an old idea is an innovation. using a crank to start a car and then making it so that one only needs a small key is an innovation. YOu still have a starter mechanism but a slight change makes all the difference and is an innovation.

going from using a mouse to a touch screen is also an innovation. You still have icons that need to be clicked on and moved but getting rid of hardware and interfacing with just a hand is an innovation. Oh sure the technology is much more complex but to the user they are still double clicking and dragging icons just like they did with a mouse. The experience is practically the same but slightly more immediate.

innovations can be small but unique things that add better functionality, make the experience better.

As far as the second post, I believe the Archlord was done by taking over castles through combat. Not on a vote system.At least that was  my memory when I played the game.

Allowing for the general populace to determine a leader over might = right seems like an innovation to me.

I'm not trying to say that Tera is a ground breaking game. It's not. But its innovations are small but palpable. What drags it down is its horrible quest system and an end game that doesn't seem very well thought out.

Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo