Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Your top 10 consternations concerning the game

Comments

• stragen001stragen001 Member UncommonPosts: 1,720

I know its an old argument, but still, my main concern is the cash shop.

My fears have been somewhat allayed since playing the BWE but we still havent had confirmation of what items will be in the cash shop or not. If there are things that can give people an advantage over other player just by plonking down their creditcard then that is a a Bad Thing™

Cluck Cluck, Gibber Gibber, My Old Mans A Mushroom

• Originally posted by Praetalus
    Originally posted by AegisSaga

I only have one concern with the game to be honest: 

1. The lack of progression. This has me concerned personally because I found out that I like to feel like my charcter is progressing in power; and I believe I'm not alone. That's part of the allure of RPGs in general for me. And in GW2, there is no endgame progression, thus it has me worried that I'll get bored with it after a while just like I get bored with FPS after a while. Just like in FPS, even if PvP is perfectly balanced with everyone having the same "stats" and even if the gameplay is good, it just doesn't hold my interest after a few months if there is no progression. 

Nicely put! This is actually my one reservation about the game. I haven't played it, so I don't know for sure, but it is something that was worring me. To be honest, I will most likely buy it and try it out, just cause I like to try the games to be completely sure. 

You guys really should look into how traits work.  If you think ganing traits points is insignficant then you don't understand the system.

• JimmydeanJimmydean Member UncommonPosts: 1,290
    Originally posted by gestalt11
    Originally posted by Praetalus

1. The lack of progression. This has me concerned personally because I found out that I like to feel like my charcter is progressing in power; and I believe I'm not alone. That's part of the allure of RPGs in general for me. And in GW2, there is no endgame progression, thus it has me worried that I'll get bored with it after a while just like I get bored with FPS after a while. Just like in FPS, even if PvP is perfectly balanced with everyone having the same "stats" and even if the gameplay is good, it just doesn't hold my interest after a few months if there is no progression. 

Nicely put! This is actually my one reservation about the game. I haven't played it, so I don't know for sure, but it is something that was worring me. To be honest, I will most likely buy it and try it out, just cause I like to try the games to be completely sure. 

You guys really should look into how traits work.  If you think ganing traits points is insignficant then you don't understand the system.

Then what is the point in the level less system?  Instead of grinding levels, you grind traits to be better than others in PVP. What is the difference exactly? 

• RizelStarRizelStar Member UncommonPosts: 2,773
    Originally posted by Jimmydean
    Originally posted by Praetalus

Then what is the point in the level less system?  Instead of grinding levels, you grind traits to be better than others in PVP. What is the difference exactly? 

Ummm wait what? Take a look at the traits.

To be honest though you can't even grind traits, least that I know of ha ha.

I might get banned for this. - Rizel Star.

I'm not afraid to tell trolls what they [need] to hear, even if that means for me to have an forced absence afterwards.

P2P LOGIC = If it's P2P it means longevity, overall better game, and THE BEST SUPPORT EVER!!!!!(Which has been rinsed and repeated about a thousand times)

Common Sense Logic = P2P logic is no better than F2P Logic.

• TerrorizorTerrorizor Member Posts: 326

I only have a couple

1: The overflow system not keeping groups together.  I can't help but feel that if this mechanic is not improved, it will be a deal breaker for many people, including myself.

2: I have a growing concern that the mass of "unhappy-type" people (the people that are constantly unhappy, and love to complain) will still buy GW2 and the ignore function won't be sufficient.

• ElifiaElifia Member Posts: 78

Originally posted by Praetalus Originally posted by AegisSaga   I only have one concern with the game to be honest:    1. The lack of progression. This has me concerned personally because I found out that I like to feel like my charcter is progressing in power; and I believe I'm not alone. That's part of the allure of RPGs in general for me. And in GW2, there is no endgame progression, thus it has me worried that I'll get bored with it after a while just like I get bored with FPS after a while. Just like in FPS, even if PvP is perfectly balanced with everyone having the same "stats" and even if the gameplay is good, it just doesn't hold my interest after a few months if there is no progression. 

You only gain trait points until lvl 80 though. I think their problem is what's after that. Because, well, you can get to lvl 80 in 2 weeks if you want, maybe even 1 if you're pro.

You still have progression after getting lvl 80 and maxed gear though, in the form of cosmetic gear from dungeons. Dungeons are very hard, so you won't be able to just get in there with a ragtag crew of nobodies and kill everything. You need a well coordinated group of skilled players.
    So your progression comes from becoming a better (team)player yourself so you can beat these challenges, rather than collecting enough gear to be able to roflstomp through it. The gear you get from these places might not have better stats, but they're far more meaningful than that to me. They show off your skills, rather than the amount of time you put into this game.

Oh, and best of all, you don't have to keep playing! There is no subscription or anything, you will not fall behind on gear either, so you can just take a break until Arenanet adds some more content.

"I'll lead, you follow."

• ColeguillaColeguilla Member Posts: 23
    Originally posted by Loke666
    Originally posted by Coleguilla

1- The overflow server is totally annoying while you're playing in a party.

Yeah, waiting in line to log on for 2 hours sure are more fun.

Gurus leaked patchnotes seems to indicate that you now can jump to the same overflow server as your friends, should solve it.

Because the one worse thing than overflow servers is not having them.

Besides, a few weeks after launch they probably will be a rarity, in the BWE every single interested player logged in the same time. When the games been out a while players will spread out both in locations time they log in. And there will be 2 more staring areas.

That works for a game where the map is completely open. If you have the risk of being kicked each time you go through a log screen, and when the overflow have diferent channels, that 2 hours are pretty cool. Last test i played 2 hours with my friends in the same map after half an hour reloging to finally get into the same overflow channel, and after 2 log screens 2 hours later... Same problem. At the end 5 hours alone, and 2 with my party. I know many ppl got luck, even some of my triends told me after the test. "The overflow have been fixed!". Another interesting thing was that I knew before the open beta and before the stress test, there were only 1 server and 1 overflow, but playing with my party we found ourselves in the same server, all playing the overflow channel, all exactly in the same place... And all looking at diferent people by looking around, all playing diferent overflow channels. The big mysteries of GW2 servers.

Anyway, you're right. I think it will be fixed for the next beta. I was just talking about what I played.

• VolkonVolkon Member UncommonPosts: 3,748
    Originally posted by DarthSov

5) The fanboy delusion that somehow pvp is just fine currently. Arrow cart spammage anoyone?

I'll see your arrow carts and raise you one trebuchet.

Spam this.

Oderint, dum metuant.

• ThrashbargThrashbarg Member Posts: 125
    Originally posted by Volkon

5) The fanboy delusion that somehow pvp is just fine currently. Arrow cart spammage anoyone?

I'll see your arrow carts and raise you one trebuchet.

Spam this.

Hahaha, exactly.

Also, consider that most people in BWE were running around WvW in starter gear or maybe lvl 10 gear. Although your level is scaled to 80, you'll still take more damage in level 10 armor than level 80 armor. If they nerf the damage output of siege weapons they will become insignificant once most people are near/at max level naturally. 

Maybe reduce the number of overlapping aoes possible, so if you put 20 arrow carts on one point focusing fire only 2-5 of them can cause damage to any one player in any 2 second period or something.

• keenberkeenber Member UncommonPosts: 438

1) B2P because it will allways end up costing more than subs just as F2P does and all the future expansions/updates will be geared towards draining money from your wallet and not makeing the game better.

2) No rpg elements to this game if i wanted to play a FPS i would buy a FPS

and that is all i have and its all i need to say no to buying this game

• Originally posted by Jimmydean

#1. Another MMORPG where the majority of the playerbase isn't old enough to even know what "consternation" means.

This ^.

So to answer the OP, I can't think of anything in GW2 that even remotely causes me consternation.

• Rhianni32Rhianni32 Member Posts: 222

First off I'm not criticising those who are just excited for the game. I'm just pointing out the fact that allot of times over zealous fans are blinded  from making good judgments and being reasonable,

Who cares. Seriously if some people get so excited and happy and into their hobby let them. You're the kind of person who would go up to a little boy playing with his puppy and telling him "Dogs only live a couple years, He is going to die. You need to be reasonable in judging how much you love your dog."

• The_KorriganThe_Korrigan Member RarePosts: 3,459

This will only be a problem for the people who have never known anything different than the EQ/WoW clone model with the gear carrot as only way of progressing. People who played games like AC1 or UO know that there's no need of a gear carrot or "end game progression" to keep interest in a MMORPG.

I personally believe many grew tired of that model. The GW2 approach consisting in "end game starts at level 1" is refreshing and mostly welcome, specially for us veteran gamers/MMO players who get sick just at the idea of another WoW clone.

Originally posted by Terrorizor

2: I have a growing concern that the mass of "unhappy-type" people (the people that are constantly unhappy, and love to complain) will still buy GW2 and the ignore function won't be sufficient.

Agreed... :)

Originally posted by Homitu

Posters who claim to loath blanket statements and then make several of their own.

Posters who write off entire perspectives as invalid, while conveniently ignoring any real arguments that may support said perspectives.

Posters who rely on a limited vocabulary of insults derived from a thesaurus of cliches in a weak attempt to elevate their own claims above those of the above condemned perspectives.  

And agreed, of course ;)

Originally posted by Jimmydean

#1. Another MMORPG where the majority of the playerbase isn't old enough to even know what "consternation" means.

My guild alliance has an age requirement of 25+. To be honest, being part of the leadership crew, at the beginning I found this a bit harsh and thought 18+ was good enough, but the more I play with them, the more I realize how drama free we are and what a tight knit group of likeminded players we are.

Respect, walk, what did you say?
    Respect, walk
    Are you talkin' to me? Are you talkin' to me?
    - PANTERA at HELLFEST 2023
    Yes, they are back !

• UnlightUnlight Member Posts: 2,540
    Originally posted by keenber

1) B2P because it will allways end up costing more than subs just as F2P does and all the future expansions/updates will be geared towards draining money from your wallet and not makeing the game better.

This post is so absurd that it defies a rational response.  The only one that I can muster that seems suitable would only get me banned so I'll just leave it at this:

• dadante666dadante666 Member UncommonPosts: 402

mi10 concern abouth gw2 is that it will be sooo popular that WoW name just going to be a legend and for this generation evryone will say gw2 and copy of gw2 for the next 8+ years from now on .

that ill count 10 times mi concern...

• QuicklyScottQuicklyScott Member Posts: 433
    Originally posted by Unlight
    Originally posted by keenber

This post is so absurd that it defies a rational response.  The only one that I can muster that seems suitable would only get me banned so I'll just leave it at this:

I don't see how it really warrants a response,"rational" or not...  The first point can be contested, but the second one can't.  There are very few RPG elements to GW2(in other threads, GW2 Fans have even compared it to Counterstrike).  That is fact.  Due to these aspects, he doesn't like the game or think it's for him, that's his opinion.  You call having a differing opinion absurd?

Have another try at being funny, Mr Smartypants.

Originally posted by QuicklyScott

I don't see how it really warrants a response,"rational" or not...  The first point can be contested, but the second one can't.  There are very few RPG elements to GW2(in other threads, GW2 Fans have even compared it to Counterstrike).  That is fact.  Due to these aspects, he doesn't like the game or think it's for him, that's his opinion.  You call having a differing opinion absurd?

It's amusing that you say "You call having a differing opinion absurd?" when in the previous line, you say "that is fact" for something that is only your opinion... ;-)

Sorry to burst your bubble here, but RPG does mean Roleplaying Game. It does NOT mean "EQ/WoW clone", or even "Dungeon and Dragons clone". It does NOT mean class/level based game with a gear grind. I does NOT mean "rigid gear/stat based combat" either.

And GW2's immersive detailed world definitely contains a lot of elements favoring roleplaying. Features like dyes and cosmetic clothing are already build into the game. It's just as much a "RPG" as any other MMO on the market, and definitely more than some which are only based on wielding the latest purple gear near a mailbox to impress "noobs".

So don't confuse fact with opinion. That would be a good start before you lecture others about respecting opinions.

Respect, walk
    Yes, they are back !

• MosesZDMosesZD Member UncommonPosts: 1,361

When I was level 15 I was cutting through the 1-5 area.   Hit a DE I missed on the way out.   I figured since the area scaled me down and I was interested in seeing how the scale-down worked, I did it instead of passing it by.  I was more powerful.   Things were much easier and I just slaughtered the **** out of everything.  

I found that interesting, but it was only one event, so I hung out for a bit.   Did some of the DEs I did before so I could see just how the scale-down effect works against a known-event.   I was clearly much more powerful than the 1-5's that were at the waterworks area.    Even though i was scaled down to 5 in many respects, my better gear and wider variety of skills and abilities made me significantly stronger.   So I went off to the Moa-herder area and did it again.   Same results.   I was clearly much more powerful than those who were at natural area level.

I did some in the 6-10 area as well.  Pretty much the same results.   Not, perhaps, as dramatic.  But definitely there.

So there is a clear sense of progression when you go back. 

Now, if you're talking about going up...   GW2 is pretty much like any good MMO.   The NPCs are challenging enough that you can die if you make a mistake or just get unlucky, but not so over-powered that you constantly die no matter how well you play.  

And they're definitely not brain-dead, cake-walk NPCs something I've only had from bad MMOs that stopped being interesting and started being boring because I was over-leveled and there was no challenge.   That's something that drove me from SWTOR.   It's driven me from other MMOs as well.   

So, all-in-all, I did take away (from the BWE) a sense of character growth.

• Mike-McQueenMike-McQueen Member UncommonPosts: 267
    As far as the cash shop goes...damn people would it kill you to spend $15 a month (sub equivalent) on gems on a game you love to play? Support your game. Play however you'd like and be less concerned with what the next guy is doing. What's it really matter when there is enough in game to make you comparable with time and dedication. Trust in that the advantages won't be toppling the balance of it all.

I'm a unique and beautiful snowflake.

• MosesZDMosesZD Member UncommonPosts: 1,361

Have another try at being funny, Mr Smartypants.

Ah, ha ha ha ha...    You don't even know what a ROLE-PLAYING game is, do you?

A role-playing game (RPG) is a broad family of games in which players assume the roles of characters in a fictional setting.

And that's pretty much it.     In GW2 I am Tyria (a fictional setting).  I play an elementalist (character) who has a name and backstory.   They have a story (role) I don't pay a huge amout of attention to because I create much of my own story.  I play it.   I like it.  But it's not the only story of my character's life and because it's a role-playing game and I'm interested in MY story as much, if not more,  than the story they wrote for me.

Every box is checked.   It's a role-playing game.    Does it have other elements?  Sure.   But a role playing game can have other elements.  It's a BROAD, not narrow, genre.

Originally posted by Mike-McQueen
    As far as the cash shop goes...damn people would it kill you to spend $15 a month (sub equivalent) on gems on a game you love to play? Support your game.

Quoted for truth. That's exactly how I intend to play this game.

The shop is not mandatory but a comfort feature. And as long as you don't pay more than for your typical "pay to play" MMO, where's the difference?

Respect, walk
    Yes, they are back !

• terrantterrant Member Posts: 1,683
    Originally posted by The_Korrigan
    Originally posted by Mike-McQueen
    As far as the cash shop goes...damn people would it kill you to spend $15 a month (sub equivalent) on gems on a game you love to play? Support your game.

Quoted for truth. That's exactly how I intend to play this game.

The shop is not mandatory but a comfort feature. And as long as you don't pay more than for your typical "pay to play" MMO, where's the difference?

To be devil's advocate... :)

The difference is in a sub MMO, everyone is getting the same level of content for the same price. In a cash shop model, people who spend more money are getting things others do not have access to without shelling out more themselves either in gold for cash.

Now, that aisde, I think so far GW's cash shop contains nothing that seriously affects game balance, and the prices are fair. I already decided I will probably buy a character slot or two, and maybe a few other odds and ends. Though honestly if I can reasonably afford it I will buy gems for gold before I spend cash shop money. Simply because RL cash is more important to me than in game.

Originally posted by terrant

The difference is in a sub MMO, everyone is getting the same level of content for the same price. In a cash shop model, people who spend more money are getting things others do not have access to without shelling out more themselves either in gold for cash.

As you said in the next paragraph, as long as the cash shop doesn't contain anything mandatory to play but only comfort  stuff or fluff, it's really not a problem.

The "worst" part of the cash shop is definitely being able to purchase in game currency with real world money. But from what I've seen of the game, that won't be a problem at all, since gold can't turn you into an god like it would in other games with such a feature.

Respect, walk
    Yes, they are back !

• QuicklyScottQuicklyScott Member Posts: 433

It's amusing that you say "You call having a differing opinion absurd?" when in the previous line, you say "that is fact" for something that is only your opinion... ;-)

Sorry to burst your bubble here, but RPG does mean Roleplaying Game. It does NOT mean "EQ/WoW clone", or even "Dungeon and Dragons clone". It does NOT mean class/level based game with a gear grind. I does NOT mean "rigid gear/stat based combat" either.

And GW2's immersive detailed world definitely contains a lot of elements favoring roleplaying. Features like dyes and cosmetic clothing are already build into the game. It's just as much a "RPG" as any other MMO on the market, and definitely more than some which are only based on wielding the latest purple gear near a mailbox to impress "noobs".

So don't confuse fact with opinion. That would be a good start before you lecture others about respecting opinions.

Oh come on.... the lack of RPG elements has been stated even by fans of GW2..

If you can't see that, then maybe you are blinded by your love for the game.

Lets disregard fluff like dyes.

Here are three of the most important RPG elements that are missing, in descending order.

No defined roles for people to play

No loot pregression (I just killed that big boss and got his powerful sword, oh wait, it's the same as one from a sheep?)

Downgrading of levels, pointlessness of experience (I have explored the depths of the world, killed dragons, acquired countless XP and power, lets return to my home land and help where I previously was to weak to help out, die bandit.... oh hell, this guy is strong =/)

There are more, just less important.

I know A-net has produced GW2 like this because they want to innovate, but these changes turn away RPG fans like myself, and presumably the orginal quoted poster.

• BeansnBreadBeansnBread Member EpicPosts: 7,254

Oh come on.... the lack of RPG elements has been stated even by fans of GW2..

If you can't see that, then maybe you are blinded by your love for the game.

Lets disregard fluff like dyes.

Here are three of the most important RPG elements that are missing, in descending order.

No defined roles for people to play

No loot pregression (I just killed that big boss and got his powerful sword, oh wait, it's the same as one from a sheep?)

Downgrading of levels, pointlessness of experience (I have explored the depths of the world, killed dragons, acquired countless XP and power, lets return to my home land and help where I previously was to weak to help out, die bandit.... oh hell, this guy is strong =/)

There are more, just less important.

I know A-net has produced GW2 like this because they want to innovate, but these changes turn away RPG fans like myself, and presumably the orginal quoted poster.

No it hasn't.

Many pen and paper RPGs do not have defined roles.

There is loot progression.

Level scaling is not antithetical to RPG.