Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

I think this will be........

Comments

• elockeelocke Member UncommonPosts: 4,335
    Originally posted by Aerowyn
    Originally posted by elocke

This game, to me, feels like a F2P game with a sub.  Due to that, I dont' see it getting subs over time at all but rather losing them, until it is forced to either close or turn F2P.  

sort of agree here after playing so many F2P games in the past.. theperfectworld games are actually pretty decent. But yea it does have that feel toward it when it comes to questing, crafting, skills, well pretty much everything aside from graphics 

Exactly.  If anything, Perfect World and similar games have ten times more content and depth and still don't charge a monthly fee.  Granted, they have been around a LONG time, but still no fee, and that speaks volumes.

• Rommie10-284Rommie10-284 Member UncommonPosts: 265
    Originally posted by Rommie10-284

If Guild Wars 2 could shoehorn more of a TERA-style combat gameplay into what they already have, they'd have an awesome game coming out, instead of just very good.  A future game will put all the puzzle pieces together and truly step up to the next-gen MMO everyone's waiting for.

was curious about this statement because they did do that so not sure what you are getting at

They've done some of it, I just wish they would free it up even more.  Jumping from Tera melee to GW2 melee felt handcuffed, and it would take a while to adjust.  Jumping from GW2 melee to Tera melee felt liberating, and I would be back in business in short order.

It's just the degree of freedom, really.  GW2 in isolation is more dynamic than the usual stand-and-swing games, that's for sure.  Tera is another rung above that, and just makes me wish ArenaNet could pull off the same thing.  GW2 has plenty of things I'd like to see in other games, but if they could take that full step forward in combat gameplay instead of the half-step, I'd be dangerously close to full-on fanboy gushing.

But really, to respond to the OP, it's all about how much new content and general "stuff" EM can put into the game, how fast, and how good it is.  Just like every other game, it's the management that counts, but TERA has a hook that will help it avoid the wholesale abandonment that's happened to other games if they do it right.  That's a better place to be than some other games out there right now *cough*TOR*cough* that are staring into the abyss...

EDIT: Oh, and I totally agree Tera will go F2P sooner than later, because every game is going down that road, like it or not.  Well, B2P really, but the same thing: no more subscriptions to play games.  EM will pull that out of the hat if a major Exodus does happen.

• AerowynAerowyn Member Posts: 7,928

If Guild Wars 2 could shoehorn more of a TERA-style combat gameplay into what they already have, they'd have an awesome game coming out, instead of just very good.  A future game will put all the puzzle pieces together and truly step up to the next-gen MMO everyone's waiting for.

was curious about this statement because they did do that so not sure what you are getting at

They've done some of it, I just wish they would free it up even more.  Jumping from Tera melee to GW2 melee felt handcuffed, and it would take a while to adjust.  Jumping from GW2 melee to Tera melee felt liberating, and I would be back in business in short order.

It's just the degree of freedom, really.  GW2 in isolation is more dynamic than the usual stand-and-swing games, that's for sure.  Tera is another rung above that, and just makes me wish ArenaNet could pull off the same thing.  GW2 has plenty of things I'd like to see in other games, but if they could take that full step forward in combat gameplay instead of the half-step, I'd be dangerously close to full-on fanboy gushing.

But really, to respond to the OP, it's all about how much new content and general "stuff" EM can put into the game, how fast, and how good it is.  Just like every other game, it's the management that counts, but TERA has a hook that will help it avoid the wholesale abandonment that's happened to other games if they do it right.  That's a better place to be than some other games out there right now *cough*TOR*cough* that are staring into the abyss...

strange because I greatly enjoyed the feel or GW2 combat over TERA.. granted I need to get more abilities open in TERA to really feel it but at least at lower levels felt GW2 abilities felt a lot better overall and especially ranged I really dislike ranged in TERA

I angered the clerk in a clothing shop today. She asked me what size I was and I said actual, because I am not to scale. I like vending machines 'cause snacks are better when they fall. If I buy a candy bar at a store, oftentimes, I will drop it... so that it achieves its maximum flavor potential. --Mitch Hedberg

• EletherylEletheryl Member Posts: 152
    Originally posted by TheDubanat0r

One of the rare games that builds more subs over time....Please Discuss.

No, the game is losing people pretty fast, wait till the end of the free month. Lot of people is buying the game play for a while and quit after level 20+, just take a look at the server status, 2 heavy 1 standard, the rest is just low. 

• SanasuSanasu Member UncommonPosts: 29

This is something else I have been chatting with my RL friends with about this game.  It's very unique in that it is a niche game in style (Asian art), but also a niche in its combat system (no tab target with active movement to not die).  It's like having a niche within a niche (niche-ception!... bad joke).  I feel this will hinder its long term sub population in that only a certain group of people will find appeal in the art style, and, of that group, only a certain number will enjoy the combat.  

To compound all of the aforementioned, the game does get pretty durn hurd.  Although I haven't experienced it personally, I hear that endgame (even in Korea) is extremely difficult - even for a dps class.  Staying alive is rather difficult while trying to pump out numbers.  In all honesty, after playing a lancer and warrior (and soloing BAMS on both... and not the stinkin basalisks, those don't count), I would argue that this is one of the rare games in which tanking is actually easier than dpsing (unless you are a tank Warrior... and that's a whole different can of worms).  The biggest reason I say this is that bosses can two shot you (as a dps) through AoE and alternate target attacks (slightly closed eye icon indicates that the mob is targeting a different character temporarily).

All this said, I am not sure we will see an overall growth, but we will see the development of a very loyal, medium sized community.  Also, if you've not tried the game, don't let what I say about difficulty deter you.  The game is really fun, and offers some very unique challenges.

• Rommie10-284Rommie10-284 Member UncommonPosts: 265

strange because I greatly enjoyed the feel or GW2 combat over TERA.. granted I need to get more abilities open in TERA to really feel it but at least at lower levels felt GW2 abilities felt a lot better overall and especially ranged I really dislike ranged in TERA

I'll agree with ranged, I was talking mostly about Hand-to-Hand combat, which I could have made clearer.  But it was great to have a rifle and form a firing line as waves of Centaurs come charging down a gorge.  I haven't had anything like that experience since way back in Asheron's Call, where there was a dungeon full of Lugians who could all end up charging the entrance due to player actions.  That was a crazy, bloody, fun mess that hasn't happened in newer games (for me) until GW2.

I have no problem with developers who think Starship Troopers is a good model for mass combat :)

I'll agree with ranged, I was talking mostly about Hand-to-Hand combat, which I could have made clearer.  But it was great to have a rifle and form a firing line as waves of Centaurs come charging down a gorge.  I haven't had anything like that experience since way back in Asheron's Call, where there was a dungeon full of Lugians who could all end up charging the entrance due to player actions.  That was a crazy, bloody, fun mess that hasn't happened in newer games (for me) until GW2.

I have no problem with developers who think Starship Troopers is a good model for mass combat :)

lol true very true:) you would probably like firefall very starship feel to it 

I angered the clerk in a clothing shop today. She asked me what size I was and I said actual, because I am not to scale. I like vending machines 'cause snacks are better when they fall. If I buy a candy bar at a store, oftentimes, I will drop it... so that it achieves its maximum flavor potential. --Mitch Hedberg

• SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 31,937
    Originally posted by Sovrath

I jumped on the $25 sale from amazon.com as I beat diablo 3 and don't have really much to play now till TSW comes out and I love the artwork in TERA as I'm an anime nut.. I know games probably not going to get better for me and it's sad because it has potential for me but falls flat in so many areas its frustrating.. One good thing is i enjoyp laying with my 360 controller which allows me to sit back in my chair and relax. But overall I'm honestly just playing because I'm bored. I don't expect to keep a sub going on this one once my 30 days runs out.. oh I also signed up because 2 of my co-workers are playing and asked me to join them

Well, I suppose that's fair enough.

I just keep seeing players who are not fond of certain games suddenlly playing them and continue to dislike them and it always seems odd to find them there in the first place.

To answer the OP's post the game will have a small but loyal following. It's more of a proof of concept game with a poorly thought out "end game". In some ways it's interesting but I don't see the voting system as being compelling game play for some.

Personally I love the game but I love combat and "killing things". So the kill X quests are fine. I don't see many other players being able to overlook their faults.

Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 
  • SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 31,937
    Originally posted by Eletheryl
    Originally posted by TheDubanat0r

One of the rare games that builds more subs over time....Please Discuss.

No, the game is losing people pretty fast, wait till the end of the free month. Lot of people is buying the game play for a while and quit after level 20+, just take a look at the server status, 2 heavy 1 standard, the rest is just low. 

That's pretty much what it's been from launch.

The two heavy are pvp and the medium is the one pve server to get to medium. They opened too many pve servers. I would love them to merge the others.

Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 
  • eddieg50eddieg50 Member UncommonPosts: 1,809

I was a big swtor fan but Tera's combat and PvP potential have swayed me over to that game at least until Vanguard goes F2p or when G2 comes out.

• LilioupsLilioups Member Posts: 4

not unless they add a ton more content and fast... right now I'm already getting bored in my 20s just not that much to do in the game. Combat system also isn't as good as they make it out to be

you have nothing to say about combat if ur such a lowbie

go do some end dungeons and HM have fun getting one shot

Originally posted by Lilioups

not unless they add a ton more content and fast... right now I'm already getting bored in my 20s just not that much to do in the game. Combat system also isn't as good as they make it out to be

you have nothing to say about combat if ur such a lowbie

go do some end dungeons and HM have fun getting one shot

if the game is so uninspired and boring I cant even force myself to get to even halfway to endgame much like I found happening in SWTOR then I feel its a horribly designed game.. either way I'm playing in hopes some of the abilities i get in a couple levels actually make the combat more interesting like everyone is saying.

• LilioupsLilioups Member Posts: 4
    Originally posted by Kyleran

No, unfortunately I don't see it as a game that builds subs over time, especially with GW2 and TSW on the imminent horizon.

It will end up as a gem of a game that many won't appreciate because as evidenced too many players can't see the forest as they overlook all the trees around them. image

The game is curious as the features individually aren't revolutionary but taken as a sum of its parts the title is more fun than I expected it to be.

Also, I don't see it having a long term end game to retain players at this point. (only so many small dungeons you can reroll before you weary of them)

tsw will suck and its horrible compared to tera

gw2 is  a free game u want to compare it then do it with other f2p mmos 

Originally posted by Lilioups
    Originally posted by Kyleran

No, unfortunately I don't see it as a game that builds subs over time, especially with GW2 and TSW on the imminent horizon.

It will end up as a gem of a game that many won't appreciate because as evidenced too many players can't see the forest as they overlook all the trees around them. image

The game is curious as the features individually aren't revolutionary but taken as a sum of its parts the title is more fun than I expected it to be.

Also, I don't see it having a long term end game to retain players at this point. (only so many small dungeons you can reroll before you weary of them)

tsw will suck and its horrible compared to tera

gw2 is  a free game u want to compare it then do it with other f2p mmos 

why? when it's more fun than most any of the other P2P games and offers more features than most as well.. it's still a MMO aimed at the masses your logic really makes no sense... TSW is a  fine game but will be a small playerbase like TERA

• VhalnVhaln Member Posts: 3,159

The game has plenty of content, in terms of art assets and all the difficult stuff like that.  They just need to give it more depth, like I dunno, maybe an endgame, a rewarding PvP system, maybe some RP fluff.  Would just take a little creativity more than anything else.  Very possible, yet not very likely.

I can see it growing, too.  Just highly doubtful in its current state, especially with the devs wasting time on things like the new starting experience.  A great idea, but terrible execution that probably didn't help the game at all.. and that might have been their last chance, before the game launched with less players than Aion has, years after it peaked.

When I want a single-player story, I'll play a single-player game. When I play an MMO, I want a massively multiplayer world.

• VyethVyeth Member UncommonPosts: 1,461

Rarely do I judge mmo's based soley on their combat system, and although it's combat is fun, it is not the first time I have experienced this type of combat in an mmo.. Even the F2P game C9 (Continent of the Ninth) has this sort of combat system, it's not new or breathtaking and after a few more titles (F2P more than likely) will feel as stale as the click hotbar system..

I think the game will have a niche following.. Much like Darkfall.. Those who feel they are hardcore enough and not MMO-FO's will continue to play TERA..

The part that dims the light for me is the skill system. I truly think they should have gone a classless route with weapons being the attack skill and a tree for other skills (yes, like GW2). For an action game like this, I would have preffered more options for battle (like being able to use at least 1 or 2 different types of weapons besides the default)..

It looks great, but besides the combat system, it is not a masterpeice imo..

Skill based twitch systems work better in games like Vindictus and Dragon Nest, because the action is in bursts and more compact (not run around the world, more stage based "blocked" in action like a console game which I suppose is what fans of this game prefer more?)

2c

• VikingGamerVikingGamer Member UncommonPosts: 1,350

Tera is going to be one of those odd niche games that will do fine but probably never spectacularly. I think it will follow a pattern similar to EVE. It will appeal to a certain group of mmo players and nothing else will seem to scratch that itch for them. It distinguishes itself from the WoW style mmos with its combat, even though the questing and many other features pulled straight from that mold. Some people like the combat, some people don't but it does that combat very well and in a very polished world. Those that connect with this style of game play are going to be rabid fans for a long time. Also fully a quarter of the world is undeveloped so they still have a good amount of space to expand into.

I also doubt that it will go f2p though it might. I think that it will eventually free to get into, that is, like EVE you simply download the client and sub, probably after a free trial period. but I think it will keep the sub, because of the chronoscrolls. between vanity items in the webstore and chrono scrolls, I think that will serve as TERA's version of f2p. People who want a boost can buy the scrolls and those who want to play free can farm gold to buy scroll from those selling them.

But I do expect to see the box get cheaper and cheaper until it is essentially free. I also wouldn't be surprised to see a free trial in the form of unlimited time but restricted to the isle of dawn and a lvl 10 cap.

All die, so die well.

• RockhideRockhide Member Posts: 155

If I had to guess I doubt it will retain enough subscribers past their respective 1-3 month personal "trial" to grow in any significant way from new subs.

Like TOR (legacy system, voiceovers and dialogue options) and TSW (puzzles, setting and atmosphere), TERA (combat and world pvp) has elements that a lot of people can recognize as fun and/or interesting, but unless those elements are your "big thing" none of them offers a well-rounded enough package to appeal to a broad audience IMO (leaving GW2 out of it because I haven't played it enough to get a good idea how long the bandwagon fans will be along for the ride).

For me, to the extent that I feel more engaged in combat playing TERA, that's a feeling I'd like to see other games capture.  And as somebody who like questing, I think TERA offers a good questing rhythm for people who enjoy that aspect of MMOs.  On the downside, the setting, story, endgame pve pogression, alt-leveling experience, and character building/advancement system don't offer enough apparent depth to make me believe I'd still have fun exploring them three or six or twelve or thirty-six months from now. 

And really, I think that's fine.  If TERA and these other games can appeal to their core audience of a few hundred-thousand to a million players, to me they've made at least some positive contribution to the greater player community.

• kanezfankanezfan Member UncommonPosts: 482

It's already dead. I'm seeing 20k subs within 6 months. Probably sooner.

• tristanryantristanryan Member Posts: 233

Lol this forum.

Tera is a great game. I havent been able to put it down. The PvP requires skill. The PvE requires skill. The graphics are beautiful. The game runs great with a good engine. The armor styles and weapons are nice and well done. It requires teamwork and finesse. You can enchant, crystal, and even customize your gear. You can run and be elected as a Vanarch and have quite a bit of control in your province. (there are several)

I honestly do not understand what kind of game it will take to impress you people. Out of the handfuls and handfuls of games that have been release in crappy unfinished unfun uninspired conditions and you are going to start hating on TERA already?

Whatever.

I havent played GW2, nor TSW. I will probably buy and play both.  However, i will confidently state i will be paying my first month on Tera and probably many many more. I even leveled and zerker and rerolled because of a few issues, no im not playing a slayer, and i still love the game to pieces. Sorry to hear, and a bit suprised, that so many of you dont enjoy it.

My server is packed with people and the newbie areas are so packed you have to wait for mobs.

I think half of you are just full of crap trying to put another shadow on another game, but this one doesnt deserve it. If the NA publisher or whoever keeps the game updated, which i think they will, i think some of you will regret sitting this one out. In a year it will be harder to level up on a PvP server, keep that in mind.

Once again, this game is a-fuggin-mazing. Give it an honest shot.

• holdenhamletholdenhamlet Member EpicPosts: 3,772

I agree it could, but only if EME gets it's butt in gear and implements things that are already in the Ktera version (battlegrounds, nexus).

Late summer is a long ways off, and people at 60 are already grumbling about endgame and things to do.

• CujoSWAoACujoSWAoA Member UncommonPosts: 1,781

Nah, this game will go f3p like Aion at some point that isn't that far off.

Asian games never add the right content to make them terribly memorable in the long-run.  Their devs just don't have what it takes.

• Lethal920Lethal920 Member Posts: 112

It needs depth, in every department. It is a great game now, it could be an outstanding game.

• holdenhamletholdenhamlet Member EpicPosts: 3,772
    Originally posted by Lethal920

It needs depth, in every department. It is a great game now, it could be an outstanding game.

The thing is, to me, depth is the easy part.  The core of the game graphics/gameplay wise is the best I've ever played in an MMO.

But yeah, it does need more depth, and pretty fast if you ask me.

I'm a little worried that EME will be satisfied with translating a game and not devote much more resources to it.  It always worries me when a company is working on other games as well as this one (as you can see from the EME homepage).

So far, they've been pretty quiet since release about the future, besides what they already said, which was battlegrounds at the end of the summer.  I'm also confused as to why they haven't imported the Nexus system.  I don't think they've explained that one.

• ElethonElethon Member UncommonPosts: 138

Once the initial thrill of the combat system wares off, people will leave because questing is so repetitive.  And don't get me started on PvP/hitboxes/and melee ranges.