Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Pure arrogance will destroy this game

Comments

• Ashen_XAshen_X Member Posts: 363
    Originally posted by Puremallace
     I do not want to even touch the game right now because of the idiotic amount of hype. 

This statement speaks volumes.

It says that you don't care about the quality of the game, merely about the perceived hype. It says that you are willing to discount the game without any consideration for its merits.

Someone who admits that their primary consideration for whether or not to play a game has nothing to do with the quality of the game itself has proven that their opinions of the game are worthless.

When all has been said and done, more will have been said than done.

• darkhalf357xdarkhalf357x Member UncommonPosts: 1,237
    Originally posted by Puremallace

Looks as if my thread struck a cord with a few people. My reasoning is simple for questioning this arrogance. Here are some facts:

1. ArenaNET is basically inexperienced with a MMORPG as proven by their recent test and complaints.

2. GW2 is going to attract the WoW crowd like it or not. This crowd = money and lots of it and ArenaNEt will have to decide will they bow to the financial preasure that will be put on them. We all know the complaints already and what the threads will look like from these people, so I do not need to go into detail.

3. There is a apparent arrogance when it comes to every claim made about pvp when it comes to this game that I find it impossible that it will ever live up to it.

4. We know little to nothing about end game or what their release schedule will look like. Only thing we have to go by is the Guild Wars content release schedule which is pitiful at best when compared to Trion or other devs.

5. Features from this mmorpg are going to be copied almost immediately upon release, so anything a GW2 fans thinks makes this game special will be labeled as generic.

Do you play or plan to play GW2?  It sounds like you were not in the beta and if you were you really didnt play it...

1. I dont see how inexperience = complaints especially when the product is still in beta.  Lets re-visit when the game releases and this might carry some more weight.

2. I dont see the signifigance of the 'WOW' crowd or even how you define them.  Anybody who ever played WOW?  Second, GW2 is a B2P game so once you purchase there is no more financial commitment.  What financial pressure would they be bowing to?  They already said they want to 'change things up' so I would imagine even if your 'WOW' crowd complained they would be respectfully ignored... this game was not made for them.

3. So if you are selling something you are supposed to say your product is mediocre?  That makes no sense to me. I would expect a paid marketing executive to sell the hell out of the product they are pushing.  The onus has always been on the consumer to know the difference between whats real and whats fluff.  That has been declining recently.

4. We know everything about end game.  It doesnt exist!  When you reach level 80, you just keep playing.  Thats why gear is cosmetic.  Also another point that makes me believe you havent played or invested in the game.  If you had, you would have known this.  Comparing GW to GW2 isnt wise and doesnt provide useful information.

5. Copying is the greatest form of flattery.  Wow has been experiencing it for years.  It was fun.  Some of us, myself included, want something different.  From playing Beta GW2 is delivering. It would be great if another developer copied GW2 and used say a sci-fi theme changing it up a bit.  But it would be better if developers took away that its OK to be innovative and to do something completely different.

We are all gamers, but we are all not the same.  We all like different things and trying to please all gamers at once will lead to failure.  Its almost like we are moving towards having more MMORPGs but of a smaller calibre to reach dedicated and committed player bases.

Which is better?  Having 3M+ subs that fall off in six months until you are struggling, or to have a solid 200-300K subs that carry over for years?

I vote the latter.

• darkhalf357xdarkhalf357x Member UncommonPosts: 1,237
    Originally posted by Aerowyn
    Originally posted by xposeidon

OP there's plenty of things that may destroy this game, lack of endgame, a terrible launch, or just too buggy. Not pure arrogance, that is the most absurd thing that could destroy a game. Anet could be as arrogant as they want and if they make a great game people will still play it, think about it a little.

I dunno about that because I beleive it was some arrogance that developed SWTOR into its end result.. just listening to the developers of that game and reading the posts from the beta forums last year... just my opinion though.

I think the SWTOR developers are bioware were IGNORANT not ARROGANT.  They simply ignored the gaming community and built the game they felt would be best.  Cant fault them for their prerogative, but at the same time they are the blame for the demise (or lack of popularity).  Seeing how its Star Wars it will probably do ok.

• AerowynAerowyn Member Posts: 7,928
    Originally posted by darkhalf357x
    Originally posted by xposeidon

OP there's plenty of things that may destroy this game, lack of endgame, a terrible launch, or just too buggy. Not pure arrogance, that is the most absurd thing that could destroy a game. Anet could be as arrogant as they want and if they make a great game people will still play it, think about it a little.

I dunno about that because I beleive it was some arrogance that developed SWTOR into its end result.. just listening to the developers of that game and reading the posts from the beta forums last year... just my opinion though.

I think the SWTOR developers are bioware were IGNORANT not ARROGANT.  They simply ignored the gaming community and built the game they felt would be best.  Cant fault them for their prerogative, but at the same time they are the blame for the demise (or lack of popularity).  Seeing how its Star Wars it will probably do ok.

sometimes the two go hand in hand and when that happens bad things can happen hence SWTOR.. 

I angered the clerk in a clothing shop today. She asked me what size I was and I said actual, because I am not to scale. I like vending machines 'cause snacks are better when they fall. If I buy a candy bar at a store, oftentimes, I will drop it... so that it achieves its maximum flavor potential. --Mitch Hedberg

• An4thorAn4thor Member Posts: 524
    Originally posted by rpgalon

Hype can't kill games, and for a B2P game like GW2, the more hype they can get, the better it is for them.

what does kill games is, community...

^This. I also think that what kill games is community, especially in a game like GW2 which has WvWvW, immagine having little kids (or old people with the mentality of an elementary kid) roaming around insulting each other becouse they didn't do this or that. But also immagine a community that doesn't participate in chat or socialize, but who just cares about completing an event then move on the next one. The game is yet to be released (months from now) so its still too early to talk about community, but from what i've seen in the first BWE and the stress test, we are on the right way to build a decent one.

Originally posted by Killing91

Hype can't kill games, and for a B2P game like GW2, the more hype they can get, the better it is for them.

^This. I also think that what kill games is community, especially in a game like GW2 which has WvWvW, immagine having little kids (or old people with the mentality of an elementary kid) roaming around insulting each other becouse they didn't do this or that. But also immagine a community that doesn't participate in chat or socialize, but who just cares about completing an event then move on the next one. The game is yet to be released (months from now) so its still too early to talk about community, but from what i've seen in the first BWE and the stress test, we are on the right way to build a decent one.

I don't know about that, the community in wow is pretty horrid on many servers I played years ago and game has been doing just fine.. i think badly designed games aiming to capitalize on others games features kill games. Yes wow is a themepark clone but was first to actually bring all those ideas together in a mainstream type game.

I angered the clerk in a clothing shop today. She asked me what size I was and I said actual, because I am not to scale. I like vending machines 'cause snacks are better when they fall. If I buy a candy bar at a store, oftentimes, I will drop it... so that it achieves its maximum flavor potential. --Mitch Hedberg

I don't know about that, the community in wow is pretty horrid on many servers I played years ago and game has been doing just fine.. i think badly designed games aiming to capitalize on others games features kill games. Yes wow is a themepark clone but was first to actually bring all those ideas together in a mainstream type game.

Then maybe i was on a nice server (Kilrogg Eu) though yes there where some idiots like in other games; but in pvp or raids (even some pugs) there was a pretty solid and decent community (i quit it right before Cataclysm). So if i were to list all the problems that coused me to quit it i would't mention community as one of them.

Then maybe i was on a nice server (Kilrogg Eu) though yes there where some idiots like in other games; but in pvp or raids (even some pugs) there was a pretty solid and decent community (i quit it right before Cataclysm). So if i were to list all the problems that coused me to quit it i would't mention community as one of them.

well how many servers does wow have? some are bound to be better than others.. also lineage 2 had a horrid community and game did pretty well for itself.

• warchantwarchant Member Posts: 69

umm, seriously? Yes I do think the genre has been stagnate. Everything has been a wow clone with a gimmik attached. Even the legendary Mythic fell into the "beat them at their own game" trap that has seen mmo after mmo relegated to wannabe status.

There is nothing entirely new in GW2 but GW2 itself is new because it harnesses progressive ideas from the mmo library and meshes them together into a product that we haven't seen before.

triple faction, siege, destroyable geometry,competitve, open world pvp (ala DAOC)

Competitive esport style battleground pvp

Dynamic events

non competitive, community style pve, reward system.

no pressure, storyline system.

no monthly fee

It's clearly built with community creation in mind. It's clearly built for cooperation amongst server mates and competition between servers.

This is a new beast we have here.

well how many servers does wow have? some are bound to be better than others.. also lineage 2 had a horrid community and game did pretty well for itself.

I think community in GW2 will play a major role in its every aspect, so if it is bad it'll affect the game as a wole but thats my personal impression.

• StrixMaximaStrixMaxima Member UncommonPosts: 865

Communities do not destroy games. Quite the contrary, they define them, horrid or not. Also, you have the tools to sort out the part of the community you want to be exposed to. It's very easy to do some research and find a group of people you'd be interested in playing with, via a guild, alliance or whatever.

What kills games are the games themselves. Take WAR as an example. It is a rock-solid IP, older and wealthier audience. All that was needed was a game that worked within the lore frame of Fantasy Warhammer and that played decently. Since it didn't happen, no form of fan dedication could save it from failure. The gameplay and entertainment was simply not there.

At the same time, if you have an inexperienced company with a brand new IP, but with a solid, fun game, it WILL grow and flourish. Case in point, CCP and EVE.

• TuchakaTuchaka Member UncommonPosts: 468

He is not arrogant he is right, and rift and warhammer's public events  pitted people against one another and did not reward them for working together hell in rift most people avoided public events....that shows they failed in the basic design ....having played GW2 people can't get enough of the public events....see the difference....don't like it don't play it.....OP seriously take a chill pill its not that big of a deal.

Many many gamers are sick of the status quo in the mmo industry why do you think swtor and wow are so hated cause we are sick of doing the same crap over and over again...

I think community in GW2 will play a major role in its every aspect, so if it is bad it'll affect the game as a wole but thats my personal impression.

I had the best beta experience as far as people helping then any other MMO i can remember ever, so that speaks well for the start of it. People didn't communicate much but everyone was helping eachother complete DE's, heart quests, using their rez on anyone who was down.. was really a sight to see to be honest.

I had the best beta experience as far as people helping then any other MMO i can remember ever, so that speaks well for the start of it. People didn't communicate much but everyone was helping eachother complete DE's, heart quests, using their rez on anyone who was down.. was really a sight to see to be honest.

Yes especially in WvW we were able to coordinate ourselves pretty well even though we were perfect strangers, so as of now i can say that GW2 has a pretty mature community, we will see in the next bwe and after release if it'll improve even more or worsen when the playerbase will increase.

• Loke666Loke666 Member EpicPosts: 21,441

Yes especially in WvW we were able to coordinate ourselves pretty well even though we were perfect strangers, so as of now i can say that GW2 has a pretty mature community, we will see in the next bwe and after release if it'll improve even more or worsen when the playerbase will increase.

I found most people friendly as well, but anything one way or the other are just guesses until a few months after launch.

Beta community is not the same thing as the real community that start to form after launch.

• SoandsosoSoandsoso Member Posts: 533

I saw someone post a story about a DE where he stumbled upon a farm and there were mobs attacking. He spoke to the farmer and decided to help him defend the farm.

Once the mobs are killed does the DE restart? 

Originally posted by Loke666

I found most people friendly as well, but anything one way or the other are just guesses until a few months after launch.

Beta community is not the same thing as the real community that start to form after launch.

true but generally beta, especially an open type beta, community is way worse than once money becomes involved.. but actually since only pre-purchased could access it makes sense the community was better than most betas I have played in.

Originally posted by Soandsoso

I saw someone post a DE where he stumbled upon a farm and there were mobs attacking. He spoke to the farmer and decided to help him defend the farm.

after a set amount of time yes..  if not no one else would get a chance to play through them.. I'd look on youtube and watch some of the DE's to see how they play out.

• ScarlyngScarlyng Member UncommonPosts: 159

Sorry to be a latecomer to this thread, but $0.02 incoming.

Is GW2 innovative?  Looks like it, at least so far.  Is it a radical departure?  No, we won't see that with what is currently possible with computers.

I don't blame game development companies for refusing to innovate.  As the article quoted by the OP points out, innovation is risky.  However, as far as my continued interest in online games goes, it was time for a company to try to step outside of the mold.

I enjoyed Rift for a time.   As has been noted, rifts and invasions were the only things different about it.  That didn't stop Trion from hyping how innovative and different Rift was going to be.  I remember, because that hype convinced me to give it a try.  All developers hype their games, talking about the features they think will appeal to potential customers.  Blaming a developer for talking up what's different about a game is like blaming Pepsi for advertising how much better it is than Coke.

The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore, all progress depends on the unreasonable man. -- George Bernard Shaw

• KuppaKuppa Member UncommonPosts: 3,292

I saw someone post a DE where he stumbled upon a farm and there were mobs attacking. He spoke to the farmer and decided to help him defend the farm.

after a set amount of time yes..  if not no one else would get a chance to play through them.. I'd look on youtube and watch some of the DE's to see how they play out.

I actually saw that event live. Im not sure what heppens if you suceed the event since I ended up moving on afterwards into the cave were the thiefs came from(When they start retreiting they go back into their cave). But, I did get to see what happens when you fail(although maybe not all the details). What happened to me was that after I failed helping out the farmer I decided to run and stumbled upon a little village close by. I started doing some activities in the village and all of the sudden the farmer showed up in the middle of the town with all of his cattle(~12 of them), so he was pretty hard to miss. He was asking for help to get his farm back from the bandits and a pretty good size group of us went over to take it back.

I LOVED this, when have you seen in an MMO 1. Decide to just fail a "quest" 2. An NPC goes into a town asking for help?!

• SoandsosoSoandsoso Member Posts: 533

Thank-you for the answer. Gonna have a look.

Does the DE change everytime it runs, or is it the samething every time?

Would it be fair to say that this DE would be akin to a repeatable quest on a timer?

• MephsterMephster Member Posts: 1,188

Well I agree what Mr Lye had to say about the genre. Anyone who has been playing mmos knows for the most part this is true. MMOs are just bad, plain and simple. Theyall have good launches but they die out within 5 months. No soul, no styaing power to keep players interested for the long term. It is the lack of vision most developers have. I'm not saying GW2 will walk on water here either and I'm honestly not sure GW2 will have long term success. We'll see.

Grim Dawn, the next great action rpg!

http://www.grimdawn.com/

Would it be fair to say that this DE would be akin to a repeatable quest on a timer?

no.. they vary because some are tiered and if you fail on a part other things will happen read the post above by kuppa.. but i suppoes in a way yes because once its finnaly complete it will repeat.. so guess it's yes and no

• BadSpockBadSpock Member UncommonPosts: 7,979

Though I feel you are trolling/baiting, I'll bite-

Yes the DE do change based on player population (more/less or easier/harder mobs etc.) but beyond that they are the same every time.

You could say that in a very literal sense that they are repeatable quests, but many/most are not based on a timer but instead based on conditions in the world as many/most DE's are chained events with multiple parts.

Unless they were all 100% developer run, live, (GM events) or the genre sees a massive advancement in AI technology (would take stupid amounts of processing power too) it's pretty much going to be "the best" it can get with current tech.

• tordurbartordurbar Member UncommonPosts: 421
    Originally posted by RebelScum99

Well, I'll give you credit, you managed to make it until the very last paragraph before you mentioned Rift.  Btw...Rift is EXACTLY the type of cookie-cutter MMO he should be complaining about.  The only thing "revolutionary" that Rift brought to the genre were the Rifts, and they weren't implemented particularly well.  The rest of the game is a carbon copy of WoW, and has evolved into more of a lobby-based game than a true MMO.  

If I had a penny for every MMO that said "we are not like WOW" I could retire by now. Every single one of them copied something from WOW - including ArenaNet. What ticks me off about ArenaNet is that they are saying we are totally innovative. In a sows ear! You are correct - Dynamic Events are a direct copy of that excellent WOW clone RIFT. As much as I like what I have seen in the GW2 BWE the more I hear from ArenaNet the less enthused I get with the game. I am at the point that I prefer to play D3. It is probably just as well that there is no GW2 beta weekend this weekend. I would rather play D3!

This discussion has been closed.