Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Fuzzy Avatars Solved! Please re-upload your avatar if it was fuzzy!

Diablo 3 - What you like about it

coretex666coretex666 PraguePosts: 1,934Member Uncommon

We have seen many threads describing negative sides of Diablo III.

Now I would like to hear what people on this forum actually like about Diablo III and please try to be specific.

I will throw in some of the aspects of the game which I appreciate:

- Individual loot

Comparing to Diablo 2, this is a great improvement for obvious reasons

- Boss fights

Obviously, the boss fights are not on the level of WoW or any other MMO where the bosses require the group to   follow certain tactics. However, I do appreciate that the boss fights became more interesting than the ones in previous  Diablo games. There is actually some tactics to be followed now. The fights usually have more than 1 phase each requiring different approach. I was very pleased when I got to last boss in the first act and saw that there is a similarity with MMO games boss fights. If you compare it with the fight against Andariel in Diablo 2, the difference should be obivous. In my opinion, it is a step in the right direction.

- Difficulty

I have come accross many posts where people complained about the game difficulty being too easy. My opinion is different. If I compare the difficulty of Diablo 3 with the one of Diablo 2, I have to say that Diablo 3 is much harder than Diablo 2. In Diablo 2, I finished hardcore mode without any major problems. At this point, I can hardly imagine completing Diablo 3 in hardcore mode.

These are a few examples that come to my mind. Now I am interested in what you guys like about Diablo 3.

Feel free to disagree with mine. Its all subjective points

Waiting for L2 EU Classic

Comments

• simmihisimmihi -Posts: 613Member Uncommon

A few things i like:

1. The imposibility to totally screw up your character due to a bad decision. I don't have to alt-tab. All the things i need to know derive from gameplay. I know how much every stat point counts, what does it help me with etc. If a skill gets "useless" at some point i can just change it. I use different builds for different encounters (as probably most people do)

2. The crafting - finally it makes sense. I dont have to alt-tab to see a recipe. I know what it needs, how much it costs and what level-range item i'll get.

3. The increasing difficulty. For me, Hell seems "just right" for a session of decently-challenging and fun gaming

4. The health globe mechanics and automatic gold picking

One major thing i dislike:

The itemisation:

- White items have no role, no one is using them after the first 5 levels and they sell for nothing. In D2 you could sell them for something (i remember picking up white armors because they sold for a bit), here they just create the sensation of "a lot of loot is dropping" and just fill the screen.

- Everything scaling to weapon DPS has it's role but makes no sense for me from a gameplay/class perspective. Running around as a Witch Doctor wearing a 2-hander is a bit weird. Also, for the same class, the specific off-hand is poorly designed (mostly everyone is wearing a shield, for it's advantages - add damage on the offhand should be a very very common skill to make the thing viable). Two-handers should have more damage than one-handers. The weapon's base damage has too much of an impact, 99% of the weapons get thrown away even if you get other "perfect" stats, if the base damage is not high. For a witch doctor or mage, it feels weird that your spell damage scales with the weapon's dps.

- The Auction House is simplistic in design, i need a lot more selection options.

• zellmerzellmer Fakesville, WIPosts: 442Member

That you can beat it entirely including inferno in a couple days.

Kripparrian streaming the group beating Diablo on inferno "normally" then proceeding to stream the gear drop exploits to an absurd ammount before blizzard can wake up and wise up to what people where doing during the night and ninja patch it like everything people have discovered so much of so early is funny.

It's really underwhelming and "This is the final product....?" along with all the exploits/terrible story...

Not a lot to like with the game..

• MikkelBMikkelB SteenwijkPosts: 240Member
    Originally posted by zellmer

Kripparrian streaming the group beating Diablo on inferno "normally" then proceeding to stream the gear drop exploits to an absurd ammount before blizzard can wake up and wise up to what people where doing during the night and ninja patch it like everything people have discovered so much of so early is funny.

It's really underwhelming and "This is the final product....?" along with all the exploits/terrible story...

Then lets see if you can solo Inferno in "a couple of days". I wish you luck!

Actually I'm glad that some people already finished Inferno. If they did it in a legit way, more power to them. If they used exploits, I hope Blizzard fixes that, so that when I reach Inferno, I'll have a challenge laid out for me.

Back to the topic, what I like is:

1. The level of detail that went into the aesthetics. Before the release I found the "wowified graphics"-comment already funny as hell, but now I've seen pretty much all of the game, I'm baffled with all the details that went into the environment, characters and animations. It's topnotch.
    2. Unlimited customization of your skills. I already tried out a lot of combinations on my wizard, but I still find it pretty suprising that sometimes a different rune can make a world of difference in the way you use a skill.
    3. The conversations. While the story was a bit "comicy" (Azmodean with all his speeches was pretty embarassing to be honest), the conversations with the NPC's was well done. Almost of the same quality that I expect from a Bioware RPG. The banter between the three companions was sometimes pretty funny as well. Another nice thing is that to complete the conversations achievements, you have to play through most of the game, because the jeweler for example has conversations for Act 1. It's not very important or anything, but nice that the added that in. Voice acting is pretty good too most of the time, though the barbarian sounds bored as hell.
  • WickedjellyWickedjelly Yahoo, COPosts: 4,990Member

The story

The companions.

The length - some may balk but I thought it was fairly decent for a hack & slash even for a first run.

The bosses - I thought they were pretty cool.

1. For god's sake mmo gamers, enough with the analogies. They're unnecessary and your comparisons are terrible, dissimilar, and illogical.

2. To posters feeling the need to state how f2p really isn't f2p: Players understand the concept. You aren't privy to some secret the rest are missing. You're embarrassing yourself.

3. Yes, Cpt. Obvious, we're not industry experts. Now run along and let the big people use the forums for their purpose.

• darianledarianle atlanta, GAPosts: 47Member Uncommon

I remember diablo 2 making use of "white items".... you can take a white items and enchant it w/random mods.

White Sword + 200% Enchance Damage = PEW PEW....

bring back the horadric cube!

• coretex666coretex666 PraguePosts: 1,934Member Uncommon

I definitely agree with the point related to length.

To me it seems that the game is as long or maybe longer than Diablo 2 before LoD expansion pack. It definitely does not seem to be short like many people claim. I finished normal and nightmare in 2 nights which is comparable to D2, in my opinion.

• nariusseldonnariusseldon santa clara, CAPosts: 22,441Member

hmm .. only TWO out of MILLIONS of players beat INFERNO in less than a week. That is WORSE odds than Sunwell back in BC. I doubt you can come close to doing that.

- really cool skill design .. beat the old add points to tree set up. Really impress with this.

- Very polish game

- combat is very fun ... there is no dull moment.

- social/MP is easy and painless

• BeansnBreadBeansnBread PshPosts: 5,501Member Uncommon
    Originally posted by nariusseldon

hmm .. only TWO out of MILLIONS of players beat INFERNO in less than a week. That is WORSE odds than Sunwell back in BC. I doubt you can come close to doing that.

People beat Sunwell in 2 days?

• AdamTMAdamTM Frankfurt Am MainPosts: 1,376Member

1. The aesthetics are nice, I actually have to admit they aren't as bad as i expected them to be from the first screens.

2. Gameplay is fluent and responsive (as long as servers are online)

3. Combatmoves feels satisfying

• LobotomistLobotomist ZagrebPosts: 5,055Member Uncommon

Gameplay.

Its non disputed best , most fun gameplay between its competition

• baphametbaphamet omaha, NEPosts: 2,838Member Uncommon

the lack of pvp and the rough launch is the only things i don't like about this game.

Originally posted by colddog04
    Originally posted by nariusseldon

People beat Sunwell in 2 days?

Less than 2% of the players can do it .. comparison of how rare, not how fast.

• GrailerGrailer HamiltonPosts: 876Member Uncommon

Good luck you beating inferno in a couple of days .

I got my barbarian to hell ACT 2 without farming for gear . Hit a brick wall . Had to stack excessive amounts of health at the loss of dps just to beable to take a hit.

Other classes are definately Better than Barb tho , the ones that dont have to get hit .

HOWEVER   Apart from my Barb lvl 55   Ive started playing Demon Hunter to lvl 30  and Wizard  Lvl 21  and Im loving it.

The wizard is really quite fun , and my first character . The reason why I stopped playing Wizard at lvl 13 was my gear and knowledge of game was poor , so I rolled a Barbarian . 

Now that I have gem crafter / Blacksmith unlocked I now twinked my Wiz and DH and totally melt face and having a blast.

• MikkelBMikkelB SteenwijkPosts: 240Member
    Originally posted by Grailer

Now that I have gem crafter / Blacksmith unlocked I now twinked my Wiz and DH and totally melt face and having a blast.

I'm not sure about Hell difficulty, but for Nightmare and below it's more cost effective to just use the AH for better items. Some items cost a ton of materials to craft and then some gold too. The AH sometimes has items for a few thousand gold that are just tailored for the champion you play.

Unless you want to avoid the AH of course, but I haven't had very good experiences with the crafting image

Ye, the auction house is a win if you want to get good gear for your level relatively cheap :)

Crafting may be a more fulfilling way of getting your gear, but it definitely is more expensive. I did level it on my normal mode character, but as soon as I started hardcore one, I save all money for buying gear in AH since it is simply more efficient.

• zymurgeistzymurgeist Pittsville, VAPosts: 5,212Member Uncommon

While there are more substantial thing to like, or dislike, about the game I find the physics and destructable stuff make me smile. It's nothing new but for some reason it brings out my inner vandal.

"Strong and bitter words indicate a weak cause" ~Victor Hugo

• fascismfascism marquette, MIPosts: 358Member Uncommon

kill monsters

• GrailerGrailer HamiltonPosts: 876Member Uncommon
    Originally posted by MikkelB
    Originally posted by Grailer

I'm not sure about Hell difficulty, but for Nightmare and below it's more cost effective to just use the AH for better items. Some items cost a ton of materials to craft and then some gold too. The AH sometimes has items for a few thousand gold that are just tailored for the champion you play.

Unless you want to avoid the AH of course, but I haven't had very good experiences with the crafting image

yeah on my first playthrough I spent a ton on crafting and most of the items had crap stats so I had to remake them .

Auction house is way better .  2k - 4k can get you a really nice item for around lvl 20-30

After that you start paying 20k per item .  Then it goes up and up as you hit higher levels I guess.

• Creslin321Creslin321 Baltimore, MDPosts: 5,359Member

I like the runes.  Many of them completely transform your skill into something that just feels different...especially with Witch Doctor.

I mean, I go from throwing jars that spawn three spiders that will attack monsters but die quickly, to one big jar that spawns a huge queen spider that spawns little spiders and stays around for much longer.

Some runes are dull, but many of them are very interesting.  All in all, I think they were a great addition to the game because they give you so many different ways to fight without bogging you down with 200 separate skills.

Are you team Azeroth, team Tyria, or team Jacob?

• solarinesolarine IstanbulPosts: 1,203Member
    * I like the setting. Dark and foreboding, and I guess I've always had a soft spot for horror settings with demonic infestations involved. :) I also like the visuals for the setting. May not be graphically very advanced, but artistically I think they're top-notch and lend the game a solid atmosphere. I think the not exactly 2D-ish and not exactly 3D-ish storybook background look is just right for such an isometric game. Go too 3D-ish and you break the whole feel for me.

* I like how the game presents its story (though not necessarily the story itself). In such an ARPG, this is as efficient as it gets, in my opinion. It doesn't annoy you by frequently interrupting gameplay or anything, but it makes a good job of hooking you into what's going on in the world. Also I really liked those lore bits you listen to.

* I like the character animations. Very smooth. I like how your character moves, and I love some of the skill animations (and the fact that skill animations change according to the rune they use is just impressive). How smooth the animations look probably has a lot to do with the fact that the models are so simple, but still... good job! This is one of Blizzard's secret sauces, in my opinion. 

* I like the runes themselves as well. They actually let you do really diffferent things with the skills, so much so that in effect they work like skills themselves.

* I like the music. Especially on Act II, but in general as well. Quite atmospheric, and mysterious or even ominous where needed. I always say Blizzard games have great ambient music and sound, it was a woeful mistake in Cataclysm to replace low-key ambient music with symphonic, in my opinion. I weep for the old Taris theme.

* I like the mobs. Some creature models looked outright cool to me, and did a good job of bringing back that Diablo feel. Though I honestly was not much taken with bosses in this respect - especially Diablo. Though the Butcher was fine.

* I like how the game gradually draws you into messier and messier encounters, where afterwards you'll say, "Wow, that was a real massacre, sometimes I disgust myself." :P Though in the Normal mode things are indeed a bit too walk-in-the-parkish, so that hurts the overall experience a bit. Also I've always thought ARPGs are way too humdrum in their gameplay design to be long-term, but that's just my problem with *the whole genre*. :)

* I like the how the classes play quite differently from one another. I especially like the Monk. Though not great DPS, I like that he has a healthy range of options to how he can approach an encounter. Though I'll have to add that the Witch Doctor is outright hilarious sometimes.

* I like that there are some "mechanics" to the boss encounters. Well, this being the WOW era and all, I guess.

Originally posted by Creslin321

I like the runes.  Many of them completely transform your skill into something that just feels different...especially with Witch Doctor.

I mean, I go from throwing jars that spawn three spiders that will attack monsters but die quickly, to one big jar that spawns a huge queen spider that spawns little spiders and stays around for much longer.

Some runes are dull, but many of them are very interesting.  All in all, I think they were a great addition to the game because they give you so many different ways to fight without bogging you down with 200 separate skills.

Agree 100%.

Before the game was released, I saw many posts where people complained about the runes having only a very little effect on the skills / spells. The game proved them wrong, in my opinion.

My first char was wizard and I got to say that the runes modified most of my spells tremendously.

Now I am playing Hardcore monk, but I just finished Act I before I went to a business trip abroad, so I am yet to see how the runes work for him.

Originally posted by solarine
    * I like the setting. Dark and foreboding, and I guess I've always had a soft spot for horror settings with demonic infestations involved. :) I also like the visuals for the setting. May not be graphically very advanced, but artistically I think they're top-notch and lend the game a solid atmosphere. I think the not exactly 2D-ish and not exactly 3D-ish storybook background look is just right for such an isometric game. Go too 3D-ish and you break the whole feel for me.

* I like how the game presents its story (though not necessarily the story itself). In such an ARPG, this is as efficient as it gets, in my opinion. It doesn't annoy you by frequently interrupting gameplay or anything, but it makes a good job of hooking you into what's going on in the world. Also I really liked those lore bits you listen to.

* I like the character animations. Very smooth. I like how your character moves, and I love some of the skill animations (and the fact that skill animations change according to the rune they use is just impressive). How smooth the animations look probably has a lot to do with the fact that the models are so simple, but still... good job! This is one of Blizzard's secret sauces, in my opinion. 

* I like the runes themselves as well. They actually let you do really diffferent things with the skills, so much so that in effect they work like skills themselves.

* I like the music. Especially on Act II, but in general as well. Quite atmospheric, and mysterious or even ominous where needed. I always say Blizzard games have great ambient music and sound, it was a woeful mistake in Cataclysm to replace low-key ambient music with symphonic, in my opinion. I weep for the old Taris theme.

* I like the mobs. Some creature models looked outright cool to me, and did a good job of bringing back that Diablo feel. Though I honestly was not much taken with bosses in this respect - especially Diablo. Though the Butcher was fine.

* I like how the game gradually draws you into messier and messier encounters, where afterwards you'll say, "Wow, that was a real massacre, sometimes I disgust myself." :P Though in the Normal mode things are indeed a bit too walk-in-the-parkish, so that hurts the overall experience a bit. Also I've always thought ARPGs are way too humdrum in their gameplay design to be long-term, but that's just my problem with *the whole genre*. :)

* I like the how the classes play quite differently from one another. I especially like the Monk. Though not great DPS, I like that he has a healthy range of options to how he can approach an encounter. Though I'll have to add that the Witch Doctor is outright hilarious sometimes.

* I like that there are some "mechanics" to the boss encounters. Well, this being the WOW era and all, I guess.

+1 Thanks for this post

• Here's some of the major things I like about it:

- Graphics. It's a very beautiful game. Animations are top-notch and simply blow games like PoE and Grim Dawn out of the water.

- Old school feel. I love the isometric style. I'm fed up with so many modern RPGs wanting to go 1st or 3rd person or having annoying cameras you have to tinker with constantly.

- The skill system is an impressive step forward in the genre.

- The extra depth added to the combat prevents it from feeling like a simple rehash with polished graphics.

- Fighting rare monsters is more intense than in the previous games.

- It's just so damn fun utterly obliterating hordes of monsters in an unbelievable mess of blood and gore!

• SovrathSovrath Boston Area, MAPosts: 18,460Member Uncommon

personally I think the game is a blast. This is the first Diablo game where I've wanted to keep playing.

I never finished the frist two becasue they didn't grab me. I like the small, storyline bits that fless it out a bit more.

I still don't like most of the clases and the rapid fire machine gun bow for the demon hunter seems way over the top ridiculous but it's still fun.