Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Same Old MMO We've Seen a Million Times

Comments

• IPolygonIPolygon Member UncommonPosts: 707

See, I can use word generators too:

Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet, consetetur sadipscing elitr, sed diam nonumy eirmod tempor invidunt ut labore et dolore magna aliquyam erat, sed diam voluptua. At vero eos et accusam et justo duo dolores et ea rebum. Stet clita kasd gubergren, no sea takimata sanctus est Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet. Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet, consetetur sadipscing elitr, sed diam nonumy eirmod tempor invidunt ut labore et dolore magna aliquyam erat, sed diam voluptua. At vero eos et accusam et justo duo dolores et ea rebum. Stet clita kasd gubergren, no sea takimata sanctus est Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet.

• TwoThreeFourTwoThreeFour Member UncommonPosts: 2,155
    Originally posted by Loke666
    Originally posted by Lord.Bachus
    Originally posted by akiira69

GW2 is going to fail exactly like GW1, you level a character get to max level then realise just like in GW1 there will be no end game content. this is where Arena.Net fails they dont care about end game raids only thing they want is for the players to get to max level then PvP. If I wanted to kill other players I'd play games like CoD, Battlefield, MoH or AAO(America's Army Online).

I am sorry mate but GW1 was a very succesfull game, it was no MMORPG tough, but it is seen by both the gaming community as the press as financial advisers as a very succesfull game. Your definition of Fail does not compute with general logic.

Agreed, GW1 is one of the top best selling PC games of all times and it beaten games like Diablo 1 & 2. It was made with a very limited budget and earned loads of cash. If that is failing I don´t know how success look.

It was however not a MMO.

According to wiki, the 6.5 million figure for GW1, counts each of its three expansion packs as a unit as well. See http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_best-selling_PC_video_games.

Diablo II original without expansion packs sold 4 million units.  I would like to know how many bought the original Guild Wars without counting every expansion pack as a unit.

I really dislike when companies can't speak clearly about the sales and instead manipulate the numbers to get one as high as possible. 

• IPolygonIPolygon Member UncommonPosts: 707
    Originally posted by TwoThreeFour

GW2 is going to fail exactly like GW1, you level a character get to max level then realise just like in GW1 there will be no end game content. this is where Arena.Net fails they dont care about end game raids only thing they want is for the players to get to max level then PvP. If I wanted to kill other players I'd play games like CoD, Battlefield, MoH or AAO(America's Army Online).

I am sorry mate but GW1 was a very succesfull game, it was no MMORPG tough, but it is seen by both the gaming community as the press as financial advisers as a very succesfull game. Your definition of Fail does not compute with general logic.

Agreed, GW1 is one of the top best selling PC games of all times and it beaten games like Diablo 1 & 2. It was made with a very limited budget and earned loads of cash. If that is failing I don´t know how success look.

According to wiki, the 6.5 million figure for GW1, counts each of its three expansion packs as a unit as well. See http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_best-selling_PC_video_games.

Diablo II original without expansion packs sold 4 million units.  I would like to know how many bought the original Guild Wars without counting every expansion pack as a unit.

I really dislike when companies can't speak clearly about the sales and instead manipulate the numbers to get one as high as possible. 

Well, the difference is that each chapter in GW1 (Prophecies, Factions and Nightfall) are standalone campaigns. By definition they are not expansions, only Eye of the North is an expansion. Hence it is actually ok to count them individually. Also, it doesn't matter how many million units were sold, because I got several copies of D2+Addon myself. In no way do these figures represent the actual gaming populace.

One thing is obvious though, the GW franchise is a highly successful one with over 7 mio units sold and ~91k units selling each month. Source (German) http://www.mediabiz.de/games/news/ncsoft-verkauft-91-000-guild-wars-pro-monat/302973?Nnr=302973&Biz=gamesbiz&Premium=N&NL=GMD&uid=m12754&ausg=20110322&lpos=Main_5

Note: That source is from March last year.

• palulalulapalulalula Member UncommonPosts: 651

Ha ha you play wrong genre dude. Sorry but players vs player is pvp and i really don't understand what you except from mmorpg pvp? Cmon give us one idea what you want? Or is that just mindless writing. Let me guess you don't even know what you want to have in one mmo:)=

• AerowynAerowyn Member Posts: 7,928

I really can't beleive how many people did not get the context of the OP's post.. I mean seriously if you didn't get the humor then it should of been pretty obvious on his second post in this thread..

I angered the clerk in a clothing shop today. She asked me what size I was and I said actual, because I am not to scale. I like vending machines 'cause snacks are better when they fall. If I buy a candy bar at a store, oftentimes, I will drop it... so that it achieves its maximum flavor potential. --Mitch Hedberg

• GrayGhost79GrayGhost79 Member UncommonPosts: 4,775

This thread.... this thread makes me ashamed to be a member of this site.......

So many jumping in and attacking the OP, so many jumping in to agree with him on how bad GW2 is.......

Only a few seem to have actually taken the time to read the OP.

Originally posted by IPolygon

Well, the difference is that each chapter in GW1 (Prophecies, Factions and Nightfall) are standalone campaigns. By definition they are not expansions, only Eye of the North is an expansion. Hence it is actually ok to count them individually. Also, it doesn't matter how many million units were sold, because I got several copies of D2+Addon myself. In no way do these figures represent the actual gaming populace.

One thing is obvious though, the GW franchise is a highly successful one with over 7 mio units sold and ~91k units selling each month. Source (German) http://www.mediabiz.de/games/news/ncsoft-verkauft-91-000-guild-wars-pro-monat/302973?Nnr=302973&Biz=gamesbiz&Premium=N&NL=GMD&uid=m12754&ausg=20110322&lpos=Main_5

So, you are saying that Prophecies, Factions and Nightfall can be considered to be stand-alone games but belonging to the same franchise? If so their numbers should be seperated. It would be of interest to see how many bought Prophecies, how many bought Factions and how many bought Nightfall.

The thing is that if you are going to measure success, there ought to be a common (common as in everyone uses it) measurement system. It is bad that Guild Wars, doesn't give the straight numbers for the different parts. 

Originally posted by Aerowyn

I really can't beleive how many people did not get the context of the OP's post.. I mean seriously if you didn't get the humor then it should of been pretty obvious on his second post in this thread..

I don't see how it is any different humor than the regular trolling and flame-inducing posts.

• AvatarBladeAvatarBlade Member UncommonPosts: 757

I think people didn't even bother to read the whole post. They read the title and probably the subtitles of the points he makes and give an emotional response.

• gessekai332gessekai332 Member UncommonPosts: 861

OP is so deluded and ignorant he doesn't deserve to play the game.  what a waste of space.

Most memorable games: AoC(Tryanny PvP), RIFT, GW, GW2, Ragnarok Online, Aion, FFXI, FFXIV, Secret World, League of Legends (Silver II rank)

I don't see how it is any different humor than the regular trolling and flame-inducing posts.

seriously?!

I angered the clerk in a clothing shop today. She asked me what size I was and I said actual, because I am not to scale. I like vending machines 'cause snacks are better when they fall. If I buy a candy bar at a store, oftentimes, I will drop it... so that it achieves its maximum flavor potential. --Mitch Hedberg

• MeowheadMeowhead Member UncommonPosts: 3,716
    Originally posted by Grigor_Bron

Character Creation: Just like every other MMO, Guild Wars 2 begins with character creation. You choose a race, class, gender . . . blah, blah, blah. When are MMOs going to break away from this tired formula of creating a character and then playing the game? I'm tired of it, but it keeps being regurgitated out by every game that hits the market.

Cities: Like every other MMO, Guild Wars 2 has cities. I knew as soon as I saw that there were cities in this game, just like World of Warcraft, Warhammer, and Dark Age of Camelot, this was going to be the same boring formula we've seen time and time again.

Exploration: As if it were copied straight off of World of Warcraft, this game forces you to explore places to advance the story.

Story: This game has a story. Sound familiar? Every other MMO has a story. 

Combat: This is where it is most obvious that Guild Wars 2 is just another WOW clone. The combat is just the standard repetition of hitting things, shooting things, and casting spells . . . LAME. And you do all this WITH WEAPONS. Plus, what is it you fight? That's right, monsters and bandits and crap, just like every other MMO.

Crafting: Crafting is the same in Guild Wars 2 as it is in every other MMO there is. You get equipment, collect supplies, and then turn that supplies into weapons and armor and stuff -- exactly like every other MMO.

PvP: Finally, this game has the same PvP we've seen a thousand times. Once again, it's all about players fighting other players. Nothing new here. No true innovation.

How can ArenaNet continue these lies about innovating, creating a unique experience, and changing the genre, when all they are doing is creating the same game we've seen a million times over?

At first I laughed.  ... but then I really, really thought about it.

So, i give you.... a game that's Totally Different.

You start off as an emotional force.  You're a ball of energy.  At first you can't interact with the 'real' world much, you can just flit from NPC to NPC and indulge in their moods and attempt to shift them.  By doing this, you can gradually become more polarized as an emotion... whether you represent rage or sorrow or disdain, or whatever.  By using your powers to affect somebody's actions at appropriate times, you can affect the lives of other NPCs!  Use inappropriate rage at another person to make them feel confusion.  Devour their confusion!  Cry and whine at a stoic person until they feel frustration, then drain them as grey and depressed as your host.

Rather than hanging out in cities, large amounts of emotion players can hang out in teenagers, insane asylum inmates, forum posters or other severely emotionally imbalanced people.

You don't have to explore anywhere!  Stay comfortably in your host, and they will wander around for you.  Jump ship when they seem boring and they run across somebody more interesting, but you never have to take a step yourself!

There's no story here.  Just emotionally manipulated people, sort of like some sort of extra emotive version of the Sims.

There's rarely any outright combat, there's just emotional manipulation.  It's sort of like hanging out at highschool as a teenage girl!  Or having a Jewish mom!

By collecting various emotions, you can use them to eventually build neuroses and other severe mental problems, giving you better hooks into your ride of choice.

There's no direct player versus player, there's only you and the various hosts.  Even if you drive somebody's host to suicide, it's not like you're attacking them directly, any more than if you were to gank somebody's mount in WoW.

Brilliant!  It's totally different.  I also think it should be done in lots of various colors, so it sort of looks like a version of the Sims if you are dropping acid and wearing kaleidoscope glasses.

I can feel the critical gaming awards rolling in already, for this MMORPG that isn't afraid to contfront meaningful RL themes, and leaves behind the childish sword swinging of previous MMOs!

I should start up a Kickstarter... For just a thousand dollars, you can get an emotion NAMED after you (I feel very... very... Darkpony.  So VERY Darkpony.)

It's so exagerated that if you actually removed the things he is "complaining" about, you wouldn't have much of a game there.

Originally posted by gessekai332

OP is so deluded and ignorant he doesn't deserve to play the game.  what a waste of space.

lol such an ironic statement in so many ways.

• p_c_sousap_c_sousa Member Posts: 620
    Originally posted by Grigor_Bron

Character Creation: Just like every other MMO, Guild Wars 2 begins with character creation. You choose a race, class, gender . . . blah, blah, blah. When are MMOs going to break away from this tired formula of creating a character and then playing the game? I'm tired of it, but it keeps being regurgitated out by every game that hits the market.

Cities: Like every other MMO, Guild Wars 2 has cities. I knew as soon as I saw that there were cities in this game, just like World of Warcraft, Warhammer, and Dark Age of Camelot, this was going to be the same boring formula we've seen time and time again.

Exploration: As if it were copied straight off of World of Warcraft, this game forces you to explore places to advance the story.

Story: This game has a story. Sound familiar? Every other MMO has a story. 

Combat: This is where it is most obvious that Guild Wars 2 is just another WOW clone. The combat is just the standard repetition of hitting things, shooting things, and casting spells . . . LAME. And you do all this WITH WEAPONS. Plus, what is it you fight? That's right, monsters and bandits and crap, just like every other MMO.

Crafting: Crafting is the same in Guild Wars 2 as it is in every other MMO there is. You get equipment, collect supplies, and then turn that supplies into weapons and armor and stuff -- exactly like every other MMO.

PvP: Finally, this game has the same PvP we've seen a thousand times. Once again, it's all about players fighting other players. Nothing new here. No true innovation.

How can ArenaNet continue these lies about innovating, creating a unique experience, and changing the genre, when all they are doing is creating the same game we've seen a million times over?

this is irony? really i cant tell if is serious or irony.....

• gessekai332gessekai332 Member UncommonPosts: 861
    Originally posted by AvatarBlade

I think people didn't even bother to read the whole post. They read the title and probably the subtitles of the points he makes and give an emotional response.

tons of threads on the forum- cant expect people to analyze every single bit of a post, let alone sift through the first page or two to find out that OP is just flamebaiting.

mods lock this idiocy please.

Most memorable games: AoC(Tryanny PvP), RIFT, GW, GW2, Ragnarok Online, Aion, FFXI, FFXIV, Secret World, League of Legends (Silver II rank)

It's so exagerated that if you actually removed the things he is "complaining" about, you wouldn't have much of a game there.

Yet, it is still trolling and it is attempting to belittle the posts who find certain aspects to be too familiar for their tastes.  Everyone understands that you can't have too extreme variation, but it is perfectly okay to be tired of certain aspects that they wished would be far more different from the norm.

tons of threads on the forum- cant expect people to analyze every single bit of a post, let alone sift through the first page or two to find out that OP is just flamebaiting.

funny thing is post is actually pretty hillarious yet page after page after page of him being attacked and people obviously didn't even read his post, even more hillarious.. lighten up people. Bravo OP bravo

also if you can't even bother to read an OP why even post in the thread!?

funny thing is post is actually pretty hillarious yet page after page after page of him being attacked and people obviously didn't even read his post, even more hillarious.. lighten up people. Bravo OP bravo

Trolling can be pretty hilarious, but that doesn't mean that it isn't trolling.

Yet, it is still trolling and it is attempting to belittle the posts who find certain aspects to be too familiar for their tastes.  Everyone understands that you can't have too extreme variation, but it is perfectly okay to be tired of certain aspects that they wished would be far more different from the norm.

Oh, now I understand what you mean now.

• GrayGhost79GrayGhost79 Member UncommonPosts: 4,775
    Originally posted by IPolygon

So, you are saying that Prophecies, Factions and Nightfall can be considered to be stand-alone games but belonging to the same franchise? If so their numbers should be seperated. It would be of interest to see how many bought Prophecies, how many bought Factions and how many bought Nightfall.

The thing is that if you are going to measure success, there ought to be a common (common as in everyone uses it) measurement system. It is bad that Guild Wars, doesn't give the straight numbers for the different parts. 

It's not as bad as Blizzard using the 1.4million copies of Diablo 3 that they gave away to bloat their pre-order and units sold number.

It's not as bad as Blizzard counting anyone that plays by the hour as a sub simply because they have time left on there account even if they haven't played in years lol. Gets worse when you take into account they are counting those playing the "Free to level 20" thing as well lol.

We've had companies telling us forum accounts = subscriber accounts.

Counting standalone campaigns that are large enough to be there own game as a unti sold seems to not be so bad. Actually I even agree with counting the stand alone campaings because they were stand alone. Yes.... they could tie in to each other, that's a bonus not something that should be counted against them.

In any case if this is your crusade I can't desuade you but maybe you could at least consider the fact that there are more worthy targets for your anguish?

• SpeedhaakSpeedhaak Member UncommonPosts: 296

So OP, you're basically saying you are tired of Stories, Character Creation, Exploration and everything else. Here's an idea: Go find a room with four walls, enter, and stare at them 'till desire shits you elsewhere. Because that's what it sounds like you're after; entertainment devoid of content.

Originally posted by Speedhaak

So OP, you're basically saying you are tired of Stories, Character Creation, Exploration and everything else. Here's an idea: Go find a room with four walls, enter, and stare at them 'till desire shits you elsewhere. Because that's what it sounds like you're after; entertainment devoid of content.

wow it continues... people really don't get it? i mean seriously?

• The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • xposeidonxposeidon Member Posts: 384

I think by now that it's pretty clear that the OP was being sarcastic, probably a GW2 player himself, just pointing out some of the flaws people can come up with regarding GW2 which indeed are pretty amusing.

Remember... all I'm offering is the truth. Nothing more.

This discussion has been closed.