Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Same Old MMO We've Seen a Million Times

Comments

• RamanadjinnRamanadjinn Member UncommonPosts: 1,365
    Originally posted by just1opinion
    Originally posted by RebelScum99
    Originally posted by FlawSGI

I playe in BWE a couple times now and I can say I disagree with the part in red. It is that new thing I thought it was going to be and then some. It's not the messiah that many of the anti GW2 people claim the fans are claiming it is, but I know what the devs have stated and it's there so I didn't have unrealistic expectations.

Ah okay, so it's the anti-GW2 fans that are making the part in red up.  

I think haunting GW2 threads is a full time job for some people.

How did everyone miss the HUMOR in the OP?  It's an hilarious post.  We're all too damn serious around here.

i think, sadly, his satire was too spot on.

• aesperusaesperus Member UncommonPosts: 5,135

I don't know what's more hilarious.

The OP, people getting angry about the OP, or haters agreeing w/ the OP. Lol

I know it's the internet, but some satyre is still obvious.

• ValuaValua Member Posts: 520
    Originally posted by Mothanos

Curious to see what other mmo is going to beat GW2.

Oh right there aint one that comes even close in the next 5 years.

There might be one from CCP its called World of Darkness, still years and years away.

In the meantime GW2 will serve many of us as a new platform where we can have our dose of PvP/PvE.

And lets face it, mmo's are not for you rofl

Heres a list of games you can expect to see in the next 1-8 years that will outsell Guild Wars 2:

Pandaria.

WoW's 5th expansion.

Titan.

WoW's 6th expansion.

Titans 1st expansion.

WoW's 7th expansion.

Titans 2nd expansion.

See what I did there?

• DjildjameshDjildjamesh Member UncommonPosts: 406

hahaha

you made my monday morning much better thank you :D

• ZylaxxZylaxx Member Posts: 2,574
    Originally posted by Grigor_Bron

Character Creation: Just like every other MMO, Guild Wars 2 begins with character creation. You choose a race, class, gender . . . blah, blah, blah. When are MMOs going to break away from this tired formula of creating a character and then playing the game? I'm tired of it, but it keeps being regurgitated out by every game that hits the market.   Humm remind me how many ways a Character avatar is suppose to be different?  Other then EVE, every single MMO is based on a sigle player which you progress, build and customize to the players liking.

Cities: Like every other MMO, Guild Wars 2 has cities. I knew as soon as I saw that there were cities in this game, just like World of Warcraft, Warhammer, and Dark Age of Camelot, this was going to be the same boring formula we've seen time and time again.  As opposed to having a dull, lifeless world where you are dropped into with just scenery.  Might want to take up landscape photography if that is your ideal choice, but for an MMO you sorta need things liek cities, areas to explore and places of intrest to go.  Me thinks MMO's are the wrong genre for you bub.

Exploration: As if it were copied straight off of World of Warcraft, this game forces you to explore places to advance the story.  Forces and exploration do not belong i nthe same sentence.  Those 2 are an atithesis of each other, and as a non linear MMO that GW2 is, exploration plays a huge part of the overarching design implementation unlike the last 7 years of hand holding themepark WoW clones.

Story: This game has a story. Sound familiar? Every other MMO has a story.   Or you could skip alot of the story elements but AFAIK Story has always been a major component of a good RPG of which GW2 belongs to since it is an mmoRPG.

Combat: This is where it is most obvious that Guild Wars 2 is just another WOW clone. The combat is just the standard repetition of hitting things, shooting things, and casting spells . . . LAME. And you do all this WITH WEAPONS. Plus, what is it you fight? That's right, monsters and bandits and crap, just like every other MMO.  As opposed to sitting there twiddling your thumbs, combat plays a huge part (but not the only part) in a combat centric RPG.  But of course you already know this so you just enjoy trolling.

Crafting: Crafting is the same in Guild Wars 2 as it is in every other MMO there is. You get equipment, collect supplies, and then turn that supplies into weapons and armor and stuff -- exactly like every other MMO.  I personally could care less about crafting but others seem to like it and it is a staple of the genre.

PvP: Finally, this game has the same PvP we've seen a thousand times. Once again, it's all about players fighting other players for some kind of reward. Nothing new here. No true innovation.  If a THOUSAND equals ONE then you might be right, but seeing as this is an abvious and pitiful response as theres only been one other game (DAoC) that offered 3 faction RvR style combat I am going out on a limb and say this is another troll remark.

How can ArenaNet continue these lies about innovating, creating a unique experience, and changing the genre, when all they are doing is creating the same game we've seen a million times over?  I cant think of a single thing in this game which isnt an innovative feature, from the FULL SCALE DYNAMIC EVENT SYSTEM to the Overfolow server which attempts to let players play regardless of sitting in a 3 hour queue.

MODS please lock this isnt needed and will only further entice more trolls and flamers.

Everything you need to know about Elder Scrolls Online

Playing: GW2
    Waiting on: TESO
    Next Flop: Planetside 2
    Best MMO of all time: Asheron's Call - The first company to recreate AC will be the next greatest MMO.

• DistopiaDistopia Member EpicPosts: 21,183
    Originally posted by aesperus

I don't know what's more hilarious.

The OP, people getting angry about the OP, or haters agreeing w/ the OP. Lol

I know it's the internet, but some satyre is still obvious.

It works like this

*See thread title*

what follows is this...

Then the rest of us are like

~ "did you take the time to read guys?"~

For every minute you are angry , you lose 60 seconds of happiness."-Emerson

• StrixMaximaStrixMaxima Member UncommonPosts: 865

I approve of this thread, but only if I can get extra mayo and some pickles.

• DestaiDestai Member Posts: 574

Character Creation: Just like every other MMO, Guild Wars 2 begins with character creation. You choose a race, class, gender . . . blah, blah, blah. When are MMOs going to break away from this tired formula of creating a character and then playing the game? I'm tired of it, but it keeps being regurgitated out by every game that hits the market.

Cities: Like every other MMO, Guild Wars 2 has cities. I knew as soon as I saw that there were cities in this game, just like World of Warcraft, Warhammer, and Dark Age of Camelot, this was going to be the same boring formula we've seen time and time again.

Exploration: As if it were copied straight off of World of Warcraft, this game forces you to explore places to advance the story.

Story: This game has a story. Sound familiar? Every other MMO has a story. 

Combat: This is where it is most obvious that Guild Wars 2 is just another WOW clone. The combat is just the standard repetition of hitting things, shooting things, and casting spells . . . LAME. And you do all this WITH WEAPONS. Plus, what is it you fight? That's right, monsters and bandits and crap, just like every other MMO.

Crafting: Crafting is the same in Guild Wars 2 as it is in every other MMO there is. You get equipment, collect supplies, and then turn that supplies into weapons and armor and stuff -- exactly like every other MMO.

PvP: Finally, this game has the same PvP we've seen a thousand times. Once again, it's all about players fighting other players for some kind of reward. Nothing new here. No true innovation.

How can ArenaNet continue these lies about innovating, creating a unique experience, and changing the genre, when all they are doing is creating the same game we've seen a million times over?

What exactly are you expecting in a game? I get the impression you hate games because they are games...

• QuenchsterQuenchster Member Posts: 450

I swung my sword and then I swung it again.

• jpnzjpnz Member Posts: 3,529

Going by the OP's logic, BF3, Half Life and Portal are the same old 'FPS' like DOOM.

Ehh......... ????

Gdemami -
    Informing people about your thoughts and impressions is not a review, it's a blog.

• Redfeather75Redfeather75 Member UncommonPosts: 230

I hope everyone knows this is a joke topic. image

• CingeCinge Member Posts: 120

Becareful with post/threads like these. I made a simple post about how the PVE in gw2 is more of the same with a different wrapper and I got a temp ban because it was "Trolling".

This site is pandering hard to Anet.

• Lord.BachusLord.Bachus Member RarePosts: 9,686

Character Creation: Just like every other MMO, Guild Wars 2 begins with character creation. You choose a race, class, gender . . . blah, blah, blah. When are MMOs going to break away from this tired formula of creating a character and then playing the game? I'm tired of it, but it keeps being regurgitated out by every game that hits the market.

Cities: Like every other MMO, Guild Wars 2 has cities. I knew as soon as I saw that there were cities in this game, just like World of Warcraft, Warhammer, and Dark Age of Camelot, this was going to be the same boring formula we've seen time and time again.

Exploration: As if it were copied straight off of World of Warcraft, this game forces you to explore places to advance the story.

Combat: This is where it is most obvious that Guild Wars 2 is just another WOW clone. The combat is just the standard repetition of hitting things, shooting things, and casting spells . . . LAME. And you do all this WITH WEAPONS. Plus, what is it you fight? That's right, monsters and bandits and crap, just like every other MMO.

Crafting: Crafting is the same in Guild Wars 2 as it is in every other MMO there is. You get equipment, collect supplies, and then turn that supplies into weapons and armor and stuff -- exactly like every other MMO.

PvP: Finally, this game has the same PvP we've seen a thousand times. Once again, it's all about players fighting other players for some kind of reward. Nothing new here. No true innovation.

How can ArenaNet continue these lies about innovating, creating a unique experience, and changing the genre, when all they are doing is creating the same game we've seen a million times over?

Except for the combat part (there is a lot of freedom there) you ust made a definiton of an MMORPG. These are probably the general characteristics of an MMORPG. If you made to much differences from this, the game would not be an MMORPG anymore. But GW2 is still an MMORPG, so most of these things apply to it.

face it, GW2 is still an MMORPG, but there is enough freshness and innovation in it to feel different from a MMOs produced before.

Best MMO experiences : EQ(PvE), DAoC(PvP), WoW(total package) LOTRO (worldfeel) GW2 (Artstyle and animations and worlddesign) SWTOR (Story immersion) TSW (story) ESO (character advancement)

• CrunkJuice2CrunkJuice2 Member Posts: 568

"Once again, it's all about players fighting other players for some kind of reward. "

correction.its all about the world of warcraft players fighting over some kind of reward

alot of people,pvp because they find it fun.the gear is just,there.regardless,gw2 smells like star wars the old republic.only,instead of the company hyping the game to hell,the communitys probably going to go in the game with there expectations jacked a little to high and then there gonna get disapointed and leave

not that im going to waste my time typing on my keyboard to argue with you anyway.i automatically figured you were a fail troll after i saw the words "just another wow clone"

• xmentyxmenty Member UncommonPosts: 718

I do not think most of you guys understand what will GW2 and TSW do for the MMO genre.

Hopefully, GW2  and TSW would successfull.

This concept would be like a stepping stone for other new MMO to step away from the WOW clone.

Pardon my English as it is not my 1st language :)

• DredphyreDredphyre Member Posts: 601
    Originally posted by Norpan
    Hey guys. OP is obviously being ironic. Thought that was pretty clear...

No. It's actually not that clear.  If that is true, that he's trying to be ironic, then he's a horrible comedian.

• madjonNZmadjonNZ Member Posts: 143

OP - I'm sorry but I really am LMAO at your post..... basically amounts to the argument below.

"....there were these 2 teams kicking around this ball and then later on 2 totally different teams playing with a small round ball and a bat and I was like WTF??? its exactly the same game...! "

• TrobonTrobon Member Posts: 300

This thread has definitely made me lose a little faith in humanity. Not because of the OP of course, but because of far, far too many people who thought he was somehow serious when the original post was ridiculous and every post he's made in the thread since have been even more so.

I guess I no longer have to wonder how anyone could mistake the Colbert Report as a serious right wing show.

• akiira69akiira69 Member UncommonPosts: 615
    Originally posted by Lord.Bachus

Except for the combat part (there is a lot of freedom there) you ust made a definiton of an MMORPG. These are probably the general characteristics of an MMORPG. If you made to much differences from this, the game would not be an MMORPG anymore. But GW2 is still an MMORPG, so most of these things apply to it.

face it, GW2 is still an MMORPG, but there is enough freshness and innovation in it to feel different from a MMOs produced before.

GW2 is going to fail exactly like GW1, you level a character get to max level then realise just like in GW1 there will be no end game content. this is where Arena.Net fails they dont care about end game raids only thing they want is for the players to get to max level then PvP. If I wanted to kill other players I'd play games like CoD, Battlefield, MoH or AAO(America's Army Online).

"Possibly we humans can exist without actually having to fight. But many of us have chosen to fight. For what reason? To protect something? Protect what? Ourselves? The future? If we kill people to protect ourselves and this future, then what sort of future is it, and what will we have become? There is no future for those who have died. And what of those who did the killing? Is happiness to be found in a future that is grasped with blood stained hands? Is that the truth?"

• IAmMMOIAmMMO Member UncommonPosts: 1,462

It sounds like you just need hold back and wait for Planetside 2, that'll give you the online MMO fun you're looking for.

• oubersoubers Member UncommonPosts: 855
    Originally posted by binary_0011

remove character creation

remove cities

remove exploration

remove story

remove pvp

remove crafting

May i introduce :

you are wrong m8, pong was the first 1 on 1 pvp game ever :p hehe

• DistopiaDistopia Member EpicPosts: 21,183
    Originally posted by Dredphyre

No. It's actually not that clear.  If that is true, that he's trying to be ironic, then he's a horrible comedian.

" This is where it is most obvious that Guild Wars 2 is just another WOW clone. The combat is just the standard repetition of hitting things, shooting things, and casting spells . . . LAME. And you do all this WITH WEAPONS. Plus, what is it you fight? That's right, monsters and bandits and crap, just like every other MMO."

"I want TRUE innovation!!! Round screens! 4d! The ability to play as a real engineer that builds memory cards for typewriters! A game that plays itself!"

For every minute you are angry , you lose 60 seconds of happiness."-Emerson

• LeodiousLeodious Member UncommonPosts: 773

I laughed at the OP for several minutes. I then read some replies which seemed to take the OP seriously, and I came near to weeping. What is wrong with people? Are we that blind? That unable to see humor? Unwilling to see humor? Do we lack any capacity for understanding even the most basic of things.
    I started out this thread in such good spirits, with one of the best jokes I'd read in a long time, and now I am back in a very deep hole of sorrow, jadedness, and misanthropy.

"There are two great powers, and they've been fighting since time began. Every advance in human life, every scrap of knowledge and wisdom and decency we have has been torn by one side from the teeth of the other. Every little increase in human freedom has been fought over ferociously between those who want us to know more and be wiser and stronger, and those who want us to obey and be humble and submit."

— John Parry, to his son Will; "The Subtle Knife," by Phillip Pullman

• TrobonTrobon Member Posts: 300
    Originally posted by Distopia
    Originally posted by Dredphyre

" This is where it is most obvious that Guild Wars 2 is just another WOW clone. The combat is just the standard repetition of hitting things, shooting things, and casting spells . . . LAME. And you do all this WITH WEAPONS. Plus, what is it you fight? That's right, monsters and bandits and crap, just like every other MMO."

"I want TRUE innovation!!! Round screens! 4d! The ability to play as a real engineer that builds memory cards for typewriters! A game that plays itself!"

Don't forget

"Cities: Like every other MMO, Guild Wars 2 has cities. I knew as soon as I saw that there were cities in this game, just like World of Warcraft, Warhammer, and Dark Age of Camelot, this was going to be the same boring formula we've seen time and time again."

• DredphyreDredphyre Member Posts: 601
    Originally posted by Trobon

This thread has definitely made me lose a little faith in humanity. Not because of the OP of course, but because of far, far too many people who thought he was somehow serious when the original post was ridiculous and every post he's made in the thread since have been even more so.

I guess I no longer have to wonder how anyone could mistake the Colbert Report as a serious right wing show.

The difference is that Colbert is actually a good comedian, and knows what he's doing with regard to satire.

What I find rather ironic about his 'ironic' post is that he's trying to claim that GW2 is innovative and original, and yet his ironic post is so cliche and lacks any originality.  Seen these sorts of lame attempts at irony for nearly 10 years now...for every MMO.

This discussion has been closed.