Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Looking for a new gaming computer.

2»

Comments

• QuizzicalQuizzical Member LegendaryPosts: 25,355
    Originally posted by assassin89
    Originally posted by Quizzical

Whats the difference between i5 and i7?

The i7 costs more.  For gaming purposes, that's about it.

The main performance difference is that a Core i7 has hyperthreading, which can improve performance by up to 30% in programs that could put eight cores to good use if you have them.  But games can't, so this doesn't matter.

Here is what I plan on getting this http://www.cyberpowerpc.com/saved/1E6PK8

A monitor with a resolution of 1366x768 is really small.

Don't get a discrete network card.  You won't notice the difference between that and the onboard network card.

It looks like you decided not to get a solid state drive.  The point of an SSD is that it will make your computer a lot more responsive.  You know how a lot of times when you ask the computer to do something, you have to sit and wait for it?  Load a program, sit there and wait.  Move to a different zone, sit there and wait.  And so forth.  A major reason for that is that you're loading stuff off of a hard drive, and hard drives are slow.

If you were loading stuff off of an SSD instead, you wouldn't have to sit there and wait nearly as long.  Many wait times can be reduced greatly, as in, maybe only wait 1/3 as long as you would have to with a hard drive.  When you ask the computer to do something, it just does it, rather than making you sit there and wait, wait, wait, and eventually it does it.  Put another way, the computer just works the way that you'd intuitively think it ought to.

• WonderweissMWonderweissM Member UncommonPosts: 127

Whats the difference between i5 and i7?

The i7 costs more.  For gaming purposes, that's about it.

The main performance difference is that a Core i7 has hyperthreading, which can improve performance by up to 30% in programs that could put eight cores to good use if you have them.  But games can't, so this doesn't matter.

Here is what I plan on getting this http://www.cyberpowerpc.com/saved/1E6PK8

Don't get a discrete network card.  You won't notice the difference between that and the onboard network card.

It looks like you decided not to get a solid state drive.  The point of an SSD is that it will make your computer a lot more responsive.  You know how a lot of times when you ask the computer to do something, you have to sit and wait for it?  Load a program, sit there and wait.  Move to a different zone, sit there and wait.  And so forth.  A major reason for that is that you're loading stuff off of a hard drive, and hard drives are slow.

If you were loading stuff off of an SSD instead, you wouldn't have to sit there and wait nearly as long.  Many wait times can be reduced greatly, as in, maybe only wait 1/3 as long as you would have to with a hard drive.  When you ask the computer to do something, it just does it, rather than making you sit there and wait, wait, wait, and eventually it does it.  Put another way, the computer just works the way that you'd intuitively think it ought to.

Suggestion on a SSD? I dont know the difference between them. Also, I see there is a "Hard Drive" and a "Data Hard Drive", so idk which ssd you are refering too.

• UOvetUOvet Member Posts: 514

OP

If you are looking for any gaming cards for a budget build I may be able to help you out. I have a 750W PC Power & Cooling PSU (Bronze cert I believe..can double check) sitting in my closet along with a pair of 1g  EVGA 460 SE's - 1 used and 1 new.

People will tell you the SE is garbage, it's only like 7% slower than your normal 460 (give or take, sure i'm off a tad), but they overclock like a champ. If anyone is interested in general..let me know.

• QuizzicalQuizzical Member LegendaryPosts: 25,355

Suggestion on a SSD? I dont know the difference between them. Also, I see there is a "Hard Drive" and a "Data Hard Drive", so idk which ssd you are refering too.

At the prices on the web site, a Corsair Force GT makes the most sense.

The idea of having two separate drive listings is so that you can get two independent drives.  The typical configuration is to get both an SSD that you put the OS and your main programs on, and also a hard drive that you store bulk data on.