Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Healers need not apply?

2»

Comments

• ClassicstarClassicstar Member UncommonPosts: 2,697

Originally posted by EllieAnne
    I saw a quick blurb that any character can do healing and looking at the classes, I didn't see a pure healer (monk), Those of you that have played the beta, what role is there for someone that wants to be a pure healer?

No roles in GW2 so NO HEALER-TANK-DPS.

[mod edit]

Hope to build full AMD system RYZEN/VEGA/AM4!!!

MB:Asus V De Luxe z77
    CPU:Intell Icore7 3770k
    GPU: AMD Fury X(waiting for BIG VEGA 10 or 11 HBM2?(bit unclear now))
    MEMORY:Corsair PLAT.DDR3 1866MHZ 16GB
    PSU:Corsair AX1200i

• ClassicstarClassicstar Member UncommonPosts: 2,697

Originally posted by Tamanous
    As far as I have tested and researched anyone wishing to play support best look to elementalist, engineer or guardian.Even then you have to plan ahead and use specific support powers and traits.  You can pretty much still switch weapons, kits or attunements and go another route upon demand.

Groups that still force roles like healer-tank-dps will fail why you people wanne play GW2 is beyond me still thinking how to play a forced role that isn't there is beyond me?

Hope to build full AMD system RYZEN/VEGA/AM4!!!

MB:Asus V De Luxe z77
    CPU:Intell Icore7 3770k
    GPU: AMD Fury X(waiting for BIG VEGA 10 or 11 HBM2?(bit unclear now))
    MEMORY:Corsair PLAT.DDR3 1866MHZ 16GB
    PSU:Corsair AX1200i

• joocheesejoocheese Member Posts: 845
    Originally posted by Classicstar

As far as I have tested and researched anyone wishing to play support best look to elementalist, engineer or guardian.

Even then you have to plan ahead and use specific support powers and traits.  You can pretty much still switch weapons, kits or attunements and go another route upon demand.

Groups that still force roles like healer-tank-dps will fail why you people wanne play GW2 is beyond me still thinking how to play a forced role that isn't there is beyond me?

There will always be a need for roles. As to how specific and dedicated the roles are will vary from game to game. In GW2 players will not be able to play the dedicated healer/buffer. Yes, some professions in GW2 will be better suited for certain support roles (as they themselves must be an actively contributing in dmg/dps) than others. But to those who always loved to play a dedicated healer/buffer in other mmos... you may be a little uncomfortable at first but I think and hope that you will be able to adjust and be just fine.

• ZetsueiZetsuei Member UncommonPosts: 249
    Originally posted by joocheese

As far as I have tested and researched anyone wishing to play support best look to elementalist, engineer or guardian.

Even then you have to plan ahead and use specific support powers and traits.  You can pretty much still switch weapons, kits or attunements and go another route upon demand.

There will always be a need for roles. As to how specific and dedicated the roles are will vary from game to game. In GW2 players will not be able to play the dedicated healer/buffer. Yes, some professions in GW2 will be better suited for certain support roles (as they themselves must be an actively contributing in dmg/dps) than others. But to those who always loved to play a dedicated healer/buffer in other mmos... you may be a little uncomfortable at first but I think and hope that you will be able to adjust and be just fine.

What you both say is something new players to GW2 will need to accept. As they said, you can be more supportive with certain classes, but when you get down to it, you will have to do all roles if you want to be effective in your group. If you're sitting back trying to just heal and support your group, you and your group will die. You need everyone being active.

• moosecatlolmoosecatlol Member RarePosts: 1,530

Necromancers make the best healers, stealing life and giving it to others via transfusion. Easily able to do 4000 healing per second during every life transfer.

All with a 10 second cooldown.

• DawnstarDawnstar Member UncommonPosts: 207

What it comes down to in this game is the concept of preventing damage rather than healing it.  Primarily dodging and tactical gameplay, but also teamwork and in some cases, skills to mitigate damage.

• TamanousTamanous Member RarePosts: 3,025

I merely mentioned some of the classes that are slightly more support than others. Some can be traited and geared/skilled a certain way to make them more support-like IF a player so chooses. The very fact they were designed that way by the developers proves they wish those roles available when situationally appropriate. The very fact some classes are more "heal/support" friendly proves ArenaNet feels they still play a role the more limited capacity of support and offer fans of that playstyle something to choose.

Now I certainly hope this doesn't come off too critical (like the arse you make yourself out to be in your reply) but ... nobody is forcing ANYONE how to play but perhaps persons of limited intelligence simply cannot see that some posters here are merely stating facts that some classes offer more on the support side than others and WHEN SITUATIONALLY APPROPRIATE players of said classes can fall back on those skills if it is in their liking.

Now is that "beyond" your understanding or should I simplify these long sentences for you?

You stay sassy!

• The_KorriganThe_Korrigan Member RarePosts: 3,456
    Originally posted by Dawnstar

What it comes down to in this game is the concept of preventing damage rather than healing it.  Primarily dodging and tactical gameplay, but also teamwork and in some cases, skills to mitigate damage.

Which makes more sense than the traditional holy trinity if you think about it...

If you have a monster higher than a ten storey building hitting you, no amount of armor or healing will save you. But dodging the attack can indeed save you.

Respect, walk, what did you say?
    Respect, walk
    Are you talkin' to me? Are you talkin' to me?
    - PANTERA at HELLFEST 2023
    Yes, they are back !

• p_c_sousap_c_sousa Member Posts: 620
    Originally posted by moosecatlol

Necromancers make the best healers, stealing life and giving it to others via transfusion. Easily able to do 4000 healing per second during every life transfer.

All with a 10 second cooldown.

what? life transfer have a CD of 40s not 10s... and 4000 heal per second? i dont know where you got that numbers, sorry but you must dream with that. 

if Deatly Invigoration area heal is a well of blood (no one know because this traits wasnt working) i have no doubt Necro will be the best heal class on game.  

deatly invigoration + near to death + marc evasion + lot of compasion. area heal all time + regen almost all the time for all party no one class can heal like Necro IMO, but as i say this will depend on how DI trait work

as people say dont exist any real healers on GW2 like other MMORPG, you can give good heals but far far from what you see on WoW for example