Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Torchlight 2: The Disgruntled Pony: DarkPony Tackles Torchlight 2!

13»

Comments

• YuuiYuui Member UncommonPosts: 723
    Originally posted by Asamof
    Originally posted by heartless
    Originally posted by fivoroth
    Originally posted by Yuui

Diablo 3 has a great new crafting system. Diablo 3 has a new skill system which is amazing. Diablo 3 has random events, random dungeons in it. Diablo 3 has an all max level difficulty. They introduced the banner system. They have a very extensive achievement system which I don't think any other action RPG did before it.

I fail to see how Torchlight 1 did anything new for the genre. 

Also Diablo 3 doesn't have to do anything new to be successful because Diablo 2 was damn near perfect. Blizzard CREATED this genre. Diablo 3 got pretty much everything right. It is a true Diablo 2 sequel. The same way SC2 was an amazing sequal to SC1. THose games were very similar too. I've played all the Diablo clones which came after Diablo 2 and none of them came even close to the awesomeness of Diablo. They just were not fun to play. Diablo 3 is fun to play.

Crafting has absolutely zero importance in ARPG games where the main idea is FINDING loot not creating it. If it was MMO, well great for crafting. 99% of arpg fanbase could not care less about crafting.

"New skill system"? Pretty much a copy of how they destroyed World oF Warcraft skill system.

random dungeons? Tl1 had it TL2 has it, hell, even original diablo games had it.

random events? Tl2 has it and half the genre has it too.

Difficulty? considering starter difficulties are a cakewalk and TL2 already has quite a challenging difficulty AND ability to mod it into more difficult, I don't see how that changes anything. 

Achievements? casualization yet again. No one seriously cares about "achievements". Next thing you know you will add a "facebook integration" as a pro for diablo3. 

Also, correction: 

ActivisionBlizzard DID NOT create the genre. Blizzard North(Condor Entertainment) did. And majority of folks responsible for that are guess where? Runic Games. 

Other stuff in your post...it seems you are more than likely trying to convince YOURSELF that Diablo 3 was "great". 

Diablo3 is heavily streamlined, heavily casualized "rpg" game with pay2win RMT auction house and invasive DRM. Not to mention the complaints of horrible pacing, linnear mmo-like progression, over-simplification and seriously short game length.

I was talking about what's new. Crafting is new. Doesn't matter if it is very important to action RPGs. Do you think that pets (aka the donkeys that carry and sell your stuff) and stupid fishing matters in action RPGs?

By random dungeons I meant that you can get a wide variety of different dungeons in one area and that some of them you will not see as they do not all spawn in the game. Not just one and the same template randomised which you see in Diablo 2.

Random events - Diablo 3 came out first so they introduced it first? Can you tell me which other action RPGs which are currently on the market have random events? I must've missed them.

Difficulty. I wouldn't say that normal is cake. It's on the same level as Diablo 2.

Do you know how many times I've heard this? STudio X was the original Diablo team. Lalalaala. It's all fancy words. There have been like what 3-5 action RPGS which were made by the "original Blizzard North"? Was Torchlight 1 created by these supposedly "Blizzard North" guys? Cause that game was horrible compared to Diablo and it came out 5-6 years (maybe more not sure) after Diablo 2. And boy was it cartoony. 

There is a lot more to the pet system in T2 and pets are a lot more than just pack mules but nice try though.

As far as your little anti Torchlight rant, that game has ratings almost as high at Diablo II. Metacritic has it at 8.3 critic and 8.4 user rating, compared to Diablo II's 8.8 critic and 8.5 user rating. You may not like the game but it's far from horrible. It's a solid ARPG, one of the best actually and it is true, some of the people who were responsible for Diablo II are responsible for Torchlight 1 and 2.

Personally, I can't wait for T2. I'm really looking forward to playing a single player game and not having to worry about lag or the servers being down.

are you seriously quoting metacritic as proof of a games quality? really?

What's so wrong about that? 

Metacritic is good indication of the user opinion in relation to (possibly paid) reviews.

Dragon age origins(an absolute masterpiece) holds both high critics rating and user rating.

Dragon age II(an absolute flop) holds huge critic rating and absolutely low user rating.

Mass Effect 3 holds huge critic rating and absolutely low user rating. 

Diablocraft 3 holds huge paid critic rating and absolutely low user rating.

Torchlight holds a huge critic rating abd huge user rating.

Its very efficient way at judging things :)

# A GRIM, ODD, ARCANE SKY
    # ANY GOD, I MARK SACRED
    # A MASKED CRY ADORING
    # A DREAMY, SICK DRAGON

• ThupliThupli Member RarePosts: 1,318

This BETA is well done.  GJ RUNIC! 

• heartlessheartless Member UncommonPosts: 4,993
    Originally posted by heartless

Diablo 3 has a great new crafting system. Diablo 3 has a new skill system which is amazing. Diablo 3 has random events, random dungeons in it. Diablo 3 has an all max level difficulty. They introduced the banner system. They have a very extensive achievement system which I don't think any other action RPG did before it.

I fail to see how Torchlight 1 did anything new for the genre. 

Also Diablo 3 doesn't have to do anything new to be successful because Diablo 2 was damn near perfect. Blizzard CREATED this genre. Diablo 3 got pretty much everything right. It is a true Diablo 2 sequel. The same way SC2 was an amazing sequal to SC1. THose games were very similar too. I've played all the Diablo clones which came after Diablo 2 and none of them came even close to the awesomeness of Diablo. They just were not fun to play. Diablo 3 is fun to play.

Crafting has absolutely zero importance in ARPG games where the main idea is FINDING loot not creating it. If it was MMO, well great for crafting. 99% of arpg fanbase could not care less about crafting.

"New skill system"? Pretty much a copy of how they destroyed World oF Warcraft skill system.

random dungeons? Tl1 had it TL2 has it, hell, even original diablo games had it.

random events? Tl2 has it and half the genre has it too.

Difficulty? considering starter difficulties are a cakewalk and TL2 already has quite a challenging difficulty AND ability to mod it into more difficult, I don't see how that changes anything. 

Achievements? casualization yet again. No one seriously cares about "achievements". Next thing you know you will add a "facebook integration" as a pro for diablo3. 

Also, correction: 

ActivisionBlizzard DID NOT create the genre. Blizzard North(Condor Entertainment) did. And majority of folks responsible for that are guess where? Runic Games. 

Other stuff in your post...it seems you are more than likely trying to convince YOURSELF that Diablo 3 was "great". 

Diablo3 is heavily streamlined, heavily casualized "rpg" game with pay2win RMT auction house and invasive DRM. Not to mention the complaints of horrible pacing, linnear mmo-like progression, over-simplification and seriously short game length.

I was talking about what's new. Crafting is new. Doesn't matter if it is very important to action RPGs. Do you think that pets (aka the donkeys that carry and sell your stuff) and stupid fishing matters in action RPGs?

By random dungeons I meant that you can get a wide variety of different dungeons in one area and that some of them you will not see as they do not all spawn in the game. Not just one and the same template randomised which you see in Diablo 2.

Random events - Diablo 3 came out first so they introduced it first? Can you tell me which other action RPGs which are currently on the market have random events? I must've missed them.

Difficulty. I wouldn't say that normal is cake. It's on the same level as Diablo 2.

Do you know how many times I've heard this? STudio X was the original Diablo team. Lalalaala. It's all fancy words. There have been like what 3-5 action RPGS which were made by the "original Blizzard North"? Was Torchlight 1 created by these supposedly "Blizzard North" guys? Cause that game was horrible compared to Diablo and it came out 5-6 years (maybe more not sure) after Diablo 2. And boy was it cartoony. 

There is a lot more to the pet system in T2 and pets are a lot more than just pack mules but nice try though.

As far as your little anti Torchlight rant, that game has ratings almost as high at Diablo II. Metacritic has it at 8.3 critic and 8.4 user rating, compared to Diablo II's 8.8 critic and 8.5 user rating. You may not like the game but it's far from horrible. It's a solid ARPG, one of the best actually and it is true, some of the people who were responsible for Diablo II are responsible for Torchlight 1 and 2.

Personally, I can't wait for T2. I'm really looking forward to playing a single player game and not having to worry about lag or the servers being down.

are you seriously quoting metacritic as proof of a games quality? really?

What's so wrong about that? 

Metacritic is good indication of the user opinion in relation to (possibly paid) reviews.

Dragon age origins(an absolute masterpiece) holds both high critics rating and user rating.

Dragon age II(an absolute flop) holds huge critic rating and absolutely low user rating.

Mass Effect 3 holds huge critic rating and absolutely low user rating. 

Diablocraft 3 holds huge paid critic rating and absolutely low user rating.

Torchlight holds a huge critic rating abd huge user rating.

Its very efficient way at judging things :)

Yup. The small disparity between professional critic and user scores is a good indication of the quality of the game. Large disparity can be attributed to trolling or paid reviews.

Games like Diablo, Diablo II and Torchlight have very small disparity between the critic and user scores, thus indicating that the scores are spot on.

• jessie360jessie360 Member Posts: 65
    Originally posted by Yizle

I've been playing the TL2 beta, and I'm enjoying a lot of things about it

the class mechanics are interesting and the exploration is fun

honestly though, the game already feels archaic compared to D3

the game will definitely fill that niche of people who want the oldschool/outdated style of dungeon crawling, but D3 is the natural evolution of the genre

I lol'd so hard at this fanboy BS. Then I started feeling sorry for you and anyone else who belived this load.

D3 is crap. Complete crap. If you like old graphics D3 is your game. If you like no skill required and basically autoleveling D3 is for you.

Post your hell or inferno character and then we can talk. I am sure you have 0 experience of Diablo 3.

@OP, I really liked the review. I've already bought the game on steam because 15 pounds is nothing.

Probably extremely similar to someone else's hell or inferno character.  In fact, they have the same damn skills no matter what.

Some of us like customization.  What I don't like is people claiming D3 is moving the genre forward with little more than opinion rather than factual evidence.  The only thing D3 is moving us towards is less customization and no ownership of our games.

• RebelScum99RebelScum99 Member Posts: 1,090
    Originally posted by jessie360

Probably extremely similar to someone else's hell or inferno character.  In fact, they have the same damn skills no matter what.

Some of us like customization.  What I don't like is people claiming D3 is moving the genre forward with little more than opinion rather than factual evidence.  The only thing D3 is moving us towards is less customization and no ownership of our games.

Yeah, except D3 gives you MORE customization, not less, then the previous Diablo games.  This kind of misinformation really needs to be stopped from being spread.