Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

General: Project Copernicus Flythrough Video Released

2»

Comments

• terrantterrant Member Posts: 1,683

Serisouly deviating but...Skyrim vs KoA.

Skyrim had a MASSIVE open world...you wanted to just wander aimlessly and explore? You could.

KoA had a serious of decent-sized areas, each with 1-2 quest hubs, linked by narrow corridors. 

Both games had skadillions of quests.

KoA I outlevelled most of my quests fairly easy, and in fact skipped entire large areas jsut to have something yellow to me.

Skyrim's crafting made the most powerful weapons in the game.

KoA could make some decent items, but they were obselete as soon as you found the next purple/set piece in the next dungeon you came to.

Both games had an alignment system of sorts.

Skyrim would let me butcher an entire town full of civilians if I wanted to. You actually FELT evil.

Both had intricate skill systems

KoA's was musch simpler, and combat MUCH more fun.

Skyrim's was more complex, but combat was boring as hell. Also they gimped magic unless you modded some better system in.

In all other areas, the games were apples and oranges, so I shan't compare them. But pound for pound, which the exception of combat, I felt Skyrim was the stronger game. That's not to say I didn't enjoy both, but I replayed Skyrim. I did not replay Amalur.

• eyeswideopeneyeswideopen Member Posts: 2,414
    Originally posted by grimfall
    Originally posted by eyeswideopen
    Originally posted by JeroKane
    Originally posted by Yuui

38 Studios financial "troubles" have nothing to do with Reckoning and Reckoning selling around a million copies for a completely new ip, hardly can be said to be "flopped". IT was a massive success and a sleeper hit.  The financial troubles are from and because of MMO and the overall scheme on what the hell is going on in there is unclear due to sensantionalist nature of gaming journalism. 

Ehh what?  Gaming journalism?  It is even mentioned in the regular newspapers here in Europe!

There were several articles in various regular newspapers stating how 38 studios isn't paying out salaries this past week in order to make a deposit to pay off portion of their huge loan! And that if they cannot fulfill further payments, that the local government is going to step in and take over with tax money!

So it has nothing to do with sensational journalism. This is just a fact about what is going on right now.

I'm still waiting for Yuui to show us where these "million sold copies" are, as both NPD and EA seem to indicate much less than that.

http://www.vgchartz.com/gamedb/?name=amalur

My internet browser has this thing called "google"...

lol vgchartz

Make sure to use Xfire stats as your next "proof". lol

-Letting Derek Smart work on your game is like letting Osama bin Laden work in the White House. Something will burn.-
    -And on the 8th day, man created God.-

• grimfallgrimfall Member UncommonPosts: 1,153
    Originally posted by Serelisk
    Originally posted by JeroKane
    Originally posted by fiontar

KoA was a big dissapointment to me. If the game had been anything like Skyrim in scope and game play, I may have been able to forgive the WoW-like art style, but the game felt like it stepped out of the 90s. My hopes for the MMO were dashed by KoA and seeing this video does nothing to inspire confidence.

If KOA was anything like Skyrim(ala Oblivion: Dragon Grinding Edition), I would not have touched it with even a stick. 

KOA actually had an engaging COLORFUL world, good old-school lore, rpg systems and actually blended combat and rpg parts really well.

Coampred to Skyrims "skeltons, skeletons, lets bash skeletons by clicking mouse and jumping bakwards and then lets go back to that brown tundra~", KOA is miles above that. 

Skyrim was too cinematic. I would not even call it a real RPG. Bethesda has not created a good game since Morrowind(which was awesome.

KOA on other hand...have not enjoyed an rpg this much since the masterpiece that was Dragon Age Origins. 

Twilight, Diablo 3 and Mass Effect 3 were also massive successes and won tons of prizes. Were those good things? nope.

I can safely make the assumption that your opinion is in the minority on all three of those fronts.

That those three things were massive successes?  You can safely assume whatever you like, because there is no penalty in life for making faulty assumptions.

lol vgchartz

LOL providing no evidence at all to your ascertions.  Wallowing in ignorance does not make you correct, only ignorant.

lol vgchartz

LOL providing no evidence at all to your ascertions.  Wallowing in ignorance does not make you correct, only ignorant.

I provided evidence of my assertions. In another thread where Yuui and I already had this argument. Feel free to find it. Hint: both the NPD sales figures ( 330k in Feb and 80k in March with no real change in April ) and EA investor reports ( where, while nice things are said for other EA games regarding profit, KoA is mentioned only as a "successful" release ) are found with that little google tool you're so proud of.

-Letting Derek Smart work on your game is like letting Osama bin Laden work in the White House. Something will burn.-

• rojoArcueidrojoArcueid Member EpicPosts: 10,722
    Originally posted by fiontar

KoA was a big dissapointment to me. If the game had been anything like Skyrim in scope and game play, I may have been able to forgive the WoW-like art style, but the game felt like it stepped out of the 90s. My hopes for the MMO were dashed by KoA and seeing this video does nothing to inspire confidence.

If KOA was anything like Skyrim(ala Oblivion: Dragon Grinding Edition), I would not have touched it with even a stick. 

KOA actually had an engaging COLORFUL world, good old-school lore, rpg systems and actually blended combat and rpg parts really well.

Coampred to Skyrims "skeltons, skeletons, lets bash skeletons by clicking mouse and jumping bakwards and then lets go back to that brown tundra~", KOA is miles above that. 

Skyrim was too cinematic. I would not even call it a real RPG. Bethesda has not created a good game since Morrowind(which was awesome.

KOA on other hand...have not enjoyed an rpg this much since the masterpiece that was Dragon Age Origins. 

i havent beat neither Skyrim (got 250 hours) nor KOA (got over 30 hours i think) and i still love both games. Different enough so they cannot be compared. Skyrim graphics and mechanics are realistic while KOAs graphics are WoWistic with action combat. IF i have to choose i prefer Skyrim just because KOA's developers arent competent enough to make the most out of their own game..... (made an entire game and cant even fix the zoom problems?....pffft) ALso Story wise I prefer Skyrim BUT KoA is fun as well. I refuse to continue my journey on KOA until devs fix the zoom because i get headaches after i play it in its current state.

This COpernicus video looks fantastic IMO. In terms of MMORPGS i expect them to be colorful and artistic like this (and GW2 art as well). I prefer realism in single player RPG but for mmos give me this colorful video all the way.

• fadisfadis Member Posts: 469

I didn't see anything even mildly impressive in the video.  Bland cartoon-ish fantasy blech we've seen 1000 times before...

Who knows what they have planned for gameplay - and that's surely the most important part of it all- but if they bring the same lack of innovation to this project as they brought to KoA... I have little hope for the game.

lol vgchartz

I provided evidence of my assertions. In another thread where Yuui and I already had this argument. Feel free to find it. Hint: both the NPD sales figures ( 330k in Feb and 80k in March with no real change in April ) and EA investor reports ( where, while nice things are said for other EA games regarding profit, KoA is mentioned only as a "successful" release ) are found with that little google tool you're so proud of.

Evidence of your assertions was what, that they did not mention the sales in their Q4 report, where I think they only mentioned numbers for one game?

According to you, every game that EA has sold less than 1 million copies, except TOR.  Good logic there, man.

Also, the quarter ended at the end of March.. today is May 20th.  The game is still retailing for full price.  Think.  It's really not that hard.

So, you're a liar, because you either aren't playing CB of TSW or you're violating the NDA, and now you're making poorly thought out assumptions, and accepting them as gospel.  The only way to get value out of your 3000 comments here, I think, would be to print them on toilet paper.

Originally posted by fadis

I didn't see anything even mildly impressive in the video.  Bland cartoon-ish fantasy blech we've seen 1000 times before...

Who knows what they have planned for gameplay - and that's surely the most important part of it all- but if they bring the same lack of innovation to this project as they brought to KoA... I have little hope for the game.

What is really mind boggling, is they have in theory been slogging away at this game for years and years, allegedly have over 300 employees (who are not getting paychecks) and they don't even have any character models they can show a year prior to release?

Schilling is going to go down a the next Tucker or DeLorean.  What a disaster.

lol vgchartz

Evidence of your assertions was what, that they did not mention the sales in their Q4 report, where I think they only mentioned numbers for one game?

According to you, every game that EA has sold less than 1 million copies, except TOR.  Good logic there, man.

Also, the quarter ended at the end of March.. today is May 20th.  The game is still retailing for full price.  Think.  It's really not that hard.

So, you're a liar, because you either aren't playing CB of TSW or you're violating the NDA, and now you're making poorly thought out assumptions, and accepting them as gospel.  The only way to get value out of your 3000 comments here, I think, would be to print them on toilet paper.

Give me a fucking break.

First, I give about as much of a shit about an NDA as I do about you, they can feel free to sue me. I already uninstalled the beta as I find no use in wasting my time testing a game one month from launch that has no hope of changing any of the fundamental things wrong with it.

By the way, what the fuck does my playing TSW beta have to do with this?

Second, if KoA even came close to 1 million sales, Schilling would have been screaming it to the rooftops. Throw me a link with the devs proclaiming their massive sales of 1 million+ copies and we can call it a day on this matter.

And since you "think" they only mentioned numbers for one game, I'd say YOU didn't read the report at all.

• greyed-outgreyed-out Member Posts: 99

lol vgchartz

Give me a fucking break.

First, I give about as much of a shit about an NDA as I do about you, they can feel free to sue me. I already uninstalled the beta as I find no use in wasting my time testing a game one month from launch that has no hope of changing any of the fundamental things wrong with it.

By the way, what the fuck does my playing TSW beta have to do with this?

Second, if KoA even came close to 1 million sales, Schilling would have been screaming it to the rooftops. Throw me a link with the devs proclaiming their massive sales of 1 million+ copies and we can call it a day on this matter.

And since you "think" they only mentioned numbers for one game, I'd say YOU didn't read the report at all.

Actually, Curt could not and would not speak about sales data on Reckoning since 38 Studios did not publish the title; EA did.  As such, it is entirely up to EA's discretion as to whether they release sales data or not.  They had the chance to do so during their quarterly report, but all they said was that it was "successful" and contributed to their quarterly profits.

http://www.fohguild.org/forums/other-games/43042-kingdoms-amalur-reckoning-242.html#post2356067

So truth is the best we can do is estimate.  The 440K, 460K figures are USA and consoles only.  They do not include PC retail, Steam, or Origin or any global sales.  Factoring in those is where analysts are getting the 1 million number for global sales.

http://www.pbn.com/38-Studios-previews-Copernicus,67705

• madjonNZmadjonNZ Member Posts: 143

Looks very interesting, I like the art style and quality - def worth more investigation.

• Kahuna80Kahuna80 Member UncommonPosts: 10

Can't say this is a game I'm following or anything like that but just from a gamers standpoint and as a person that tries out a lof of new games...

My main concern at the moment with this game is that 38 studios is basically bankrupt right now.  Was reading they're having trouble paying their loans and a lot if not all of their employees have gone w/o pay recently.  If that is the state of their company, I hardly see how they're going to launch an MMO that has any type of quality to it.  Even well funded MMO's struggle and often launch poorly so I can only imagine how a company that's treading water financially is going to launch a decent game.

As I said, this isn't even a game that's really on my radar and the only reason I pay it any attention is b/c it's from the same studio that made Kingdoms of Amalur I believe, which I kind of liked.  With their financial issues though, I would certainly wait on reviews before I even considered trying this game b/c if they're broke now and the game is still in development, I already know that means they're cut some corners if they way to get it out the door.

• LizanteLizante Member Posts: 182
    Originally posted by Kahuna80

Can't say this is a game I'm following or anything like that but just from a gamers standpoint and as a person that tries out a lof of new games...

My main concern at the moment with this game is that 38 studios is basically bankrupt right now.  Was reading they're having trouble paying their loans and a lot if not all of their employees have gone w/o pay recently.  If that is the state of their company, I hardly see how they're going to launch an MMO that has any type of quality to it.  Even well funded MMO's struggle and often launch poorly so I can only imagine how a company that's treading water financially is going to launch a decent game.

As I said, this isn't even a game that's really on my radar and the only reason I pay it any attention is b/c it's from the same studio that made Kingdoms of Amalur I believe, which I kind of liked.  With their financial issues though, I would certainly wait on reviews before I even considered trying this game b/c if they're broke now and the game is still in development, I already know that means they're cut some corners if they way to get it out the door.

X2.

This cinematic was very much *MEH.*  

Skyrim > the 38 Studios offering, hands down.

I'd like to see Kurt succeed in this venture but, thus far, 38 Studios' task is monumental.  

• craigrmsmithcraigrmsmith Member Posts: 1

I'm sorry to say it, but people who say things like this looks like a wow clone are the same people who think wow was the first mmo. 

Personally I thought it looked gorgeous, we've had "new cutting edge" graphics rammed down our throats, and I'm really tired of modern, ultra real graphics with jerky animations. I will always have space for games such as this, that are handcrafted, well made and just, nice to be spend time and become engrossed in.

I miss the worlds from games like Final Fantasy 9 where things were unique and personally am looking forward to Wildstar and now this much much more than the Bethesda MMO.

• RendRend Member UncommonPosts: 5

Sheesh..

Now i recall why i dislike humans..

KOA - New IP from New Studio  vs. Skyrim - Old IP - Long Franchise - Alot of crazy zealot fans

They cant be compared...

Skyrim has it's flaws repeative game play - freezes / 5 second

KOA has it's flaws limited ranged combat - story

You see neither of them is perfect nor awful

• DevianeDeviane Member UncommonPosts: 108

GW2 killer :P