Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Comments

• pokrakpokrak Member UncommonPosts: 111

I like this idea. Its rpg and its ELder Scrolls. MMO part most important to me is pvp. Dont be worry its just Your personal story not whole content of this game ;)

• L0C0ManL0C0Man Member UncommonPosts: 1,065

I like the idea of a solo storyline, but with a limit. I'd also like if I could invite other people to my personal story.

However, one thing....

"The last thing you want to do is have the final confrontation with Mehrunes Dagon as he's stomping across the Imperial City, and you see like 15 guys behind you waiting to kill him"

Provided it's not "you kill him, then I kill him and so on" and instead it's "let's all fight together to kill him", then it's not the last thing I want to do, it's the first thing I'd want to do.

What can men do against such reckless hate?

• ThaneUlfgarThaneUlfgar Member Posts: 283

This sounds like a cool idea.

• PyrateLVPyrateLV Member CommonPosts: 1,096

100% Soloable Personal Storyline = Instanced game from 1-max level

LAME!

And BTW. Its NOT a "Personal Story" unless mine is unique from every one elses.

But it wont be. It will be a Class, Race or Faction Storyline.

So everyone of the same class, race or faction will experience the same story.

NOT PERSONAL

I want to be in an MMO where I make MY own story. Not some pre-made POS story some Dev thinks is cool

Tried: EQ2 - AC - EU - HZ - TR - MxO - TTO - WURM - SL - VG:SoH - PotBS - PS - AoC - WAR - DDO - SWTOR
    Played: UO - EQ1 - AO - DAoC - NC - CoH/CoV - SWG - WoW - EVE - AA - LotRO - DFO - STO - FE - MO - RIFT
    Playing: Skyrim
    Following: The Repopulation
    I want a Virtual World, not just a Game.
    ITS TOO HARD! - Matt Firor (ZeniMax)

• BoreilBoreil Member UncommonPosts: 448
    Originally posted by PyrateLV

LAME!

NOT PERSONAL

I want to be in an MMO where I make MY own story. Not some pre-made POS story some Dev thinks is cool

Your 100% wrong my friend.

• PyrateLVPyrateLV Member CommonPosts: 1,096
    Originally posted by Boreil

LAME!

NOT PERSONAL

Really? How so?

You say Im wrong but show nothing to back it up.

Tried: EQ2 - AC - EU - HZ - TR - MxO - TTO - WURM - SL - VG:SoH - PotBS - PS - AoC - WAR - DDO - SWTOR
    Played: UO - EQ1 - AO - DAoC - NC - CoH/CoV - SWG - WoW - EVE - AA - LotRO - DFO - STO - FE - MO - RIFT
    Playing: Skyrim
    Following: The Repopulation
    I want a Virtual World, not just a Game.
    ITS TOO HARD! - Matt Firor (ZeniMax)

• SilokSilok Member UncommonPosts: 732

LAME!

NOT PERSONAL

hum care to explain why he is 100% wrong? I think what he said is right but maibe i missing something..

• Ambros123Ambros123 Member Posts: 877
    Originally posted by Silok

LAME!

NOT PERSONAL

hum care to explain why he is 100% wrong? I think what he said is right but maibe i missing something..

Same here

• ElikalElikal Member UncommonPosts: 7,912

Guys, sorry, but I once thought like you, story was great and wonderful. Now... I kinda changed my mind, after experiencing SWTOR. You see, I love story as many here. But truth be told, story, if too much of it, always isolates people. Story makes players have a more dense comfort zone. If we are used to be hero in our story, we tend to be more averse to grouping with some strangers and risk diminish our heroic solo feeling. It puts people into the mindframe of a single player game. I have seen it in SWTOR. People swap to single player mode, and group less and less. I can see the same danger with the story-rich TSW happening.

So, no. Sorry. A bit story yes. But not "personal". LOTRO had story, but here you had zones for your group. You were a group of heroes, not a sole, lonesome hero. That is what we need, not this island isolation where in the end nobody feels connected to others anymore. If I want that, I have that 100 times better in single player games, where I am really the only hero. If I play a MMO, I want group experienced, a community. What good does it make when I defeat Mehrunes Dagon, when I am all alone? That's just boring and entirely defeats the feeling of a MMO. Was it not much greater when we defeat some powerful foe, and then have our friends to speak about the epic battle for a long time to come? To share these memories?

And what about people who don't WANT to be a hero? Who prefer to be Uncle Owen... err well some Khajit dude or whatever? Why does every dev assume now all MMO players WANT to be heroes? Lame!

Sorry, but I am profoundly burned of this entire "solo story" idea.

People don't ask questions to get answers - they ask questions to show how smart they are. - Dogbert

• TROLL_HARDTROLL_HARD Member Posts: 312
    Originally posted by Elikal

What good does it make when I defeat Mehrunes Dagon, when I am all alone? That's just boring and entirely defeats the feeling of a MMO. Was it not much greater when we defeat some powerful foe, and then have our friends to speak about the epic battle for a long time to come? To share these memories?

This is how I had the most fun in mmorpgs.

• GhabboGhabbo Member UncommonPosts: 263
    Originally posted by Ambros123
    Originally posted by Silok

LAME!

NOT PERSONAL

Same here

Ok, I can understand "personal story" (a la GW2) but "100% solo"?!? in a MMO?!? Haven't played SWTOR (and probably never will), but this whole concept is just wrong image

• ZylaxxZylaxx Member Posts: 2,574
    Originally posted by pokrak

I like this idea. Its rpg and its ELder Scrolls. MMO part most important to me is pvp. Dont be worry its just Your personal story not whole content of this game ;)

Flashback alert:

SWTOR was equal parts KOTAR and generic MMO........remind me how that IP is doing again?

Yet another fail-sign for this POS product in my opinion.

Everything you need to know about Elder Scrolls Online

Playing: GW2
    Waiting on: TESO
    Next Flop: Planetside 2
    Best MMO of all time: Asheron's Call - The first company to recreate AC will be the next greatest MMO.

• WelersWelers Member Posts: 4

LAME!

NOT PERSONAL

Really? How so?

While I don't think you are 100% wrong, I don't think you are right either.

By your way of thinking, you cannot have a personnal story inside of ANY RPG game, including Elder Scroll series, because the story is already written, waiting for you to live it. 

A personnal story, in my opinion, is simply a story where I get choices which matter in it. With my character as the ''focus''.

I might be misunderstanding something, but I don't believe you can actually ''make your own story'' in a MMO.

• SilokSilok Member UncommonPosts: 732
    Originally posted by Welers

LAME!

NOT PERSONAL

Really? How so?

While I don't think you are 100% wrong, I don't think you are right either.

By your way of thinking, you cannot have a personnal story inside of ANY RPG game, including Elder Scroll series, because the story is already written, waiting for you to live it. 

A personnal story, in my opinion, is simply a story where I get choices which matter in it. With my character as the ''focus''.

I might be misunderstanding something, but I don't believe you can actually ''make your own story'' in a MMO.

Actually you can have a personal story in rpg, it truth that the main story is writen but in skyrim for example you can create your own story. Sure you will have to follow the main story if you want to finish the game but still you can choose to be what you want and play the way you want by making the choice who is right with your character personality.

Now in a mmo, well most of them hold your hand and everyone follow the same story. There is no choice like do i kill the elf to takes his armor or do i help him instead or even just ignore him?

So i dont see where PyrateLV  is wrong, he want an mmo where is choice matter and this will be a personal story but we will not see this king of mmo. If you want to create your own story, you need to play old school by using your imagination and RP, but still your choices will not have any impact in the world.

• Joseph_KerrJoseph_Kerr Member RarePosts: 1,113

This game is going to be a train wreck, why do they feel the need to ruin a good IP?

• ReskaillevReskaillev Member CommonPosts: 157
    Originally posted by Darth-Ninja

This game is going to be a train wreck, why do they feel the need to ruin a good IP?

Because there's a whole legion of idiotic fanboyz who buy everything with the TES name slapped on it without second thought....

"Isn't a raid plundering villages in WoW or something like that?" - Robert Desable

• toddzetoddze Member UncommonPosts: 2,150

Personal stories are not scripted by devs, and can never be scripted by devs. This story is no more personal than the average run of the mill RPG.

Waiting for:EQ-Next, ArcheAge (not so much anymore)
    Now Playing: N/A
    Worst MMO: FFXIV
    Favorite MMO: FFXI

• VhalnVhaln Member Posts: 3,159

LOL, I can't wait (see sig:p)

When I want a single-player story, I'll play a single-player game. When I play an MMO, I want a massively multiplayer world.

• eyeswideopeneyeswideopen Member Posts: 2,414
    Originally posted by TROLL_HARD

The first SWTOR clone?

http://massively.joystiq.com/2012/05/18/the-elder-scrolls-onlines-matt-firor-talks-100-solo-personal/

Nope, the second clone.

TSW is the first. Take away the convoluted quest structure and the "skill" system, and you have SWToR 2. Very linear with no need to group outside of a few dungeons and no replayability unless you want to re-roll to try another faction offering 10% new quests and 90% the same quests you did on the other faction. And at least SWToR had enough quest to get from 1-50, in TSW they had to make all quest repeatable.

-Letting Derek Smart work on your game is like letting Osama bin Laden work in the White House. Something will burn.-
    -And on the 8th day, man created God.-

• Laughing-manLaughing-man Member RarePosts: 3,654

Terrible news :-(

I hope they change their mind after SWTOR... The first MMO I ever felt like I actually "beat".

I mean honestly once they zoom in on your character and play the closing music, you feel like you have completed the game, and the end game content is simply lack luster at best....

If they want an online game people will play for a month to beat the story then never play again, then they seem to be on the right path.

• someforumguysomeforumguy Member RarePosts: 4,088

Doesn't have to be a bad thing if the personal story is 100% solo (or do they mean soloable?). It all depends on how much other content there will be.

I'm more concerned whether the game is only Elder Scrolls because of the lore and that the gameplay will be another run of the mill MMO.

• arctarusarctarus Member UncommonPosts: 2,581

100% solo is always a very bad idea, if its done all the way from level 1 to max, thats not the purpose of playing a mmo.

I prefer the class quest like wow, where you have it here and there, and even requires a group to help you with it.

But done solo 100%, very bad in my pov...

RIP Orc Choppa

• KenFisherKenFisher Member UncommonPosts: 5,035

Let me guess...

9 races, 3 per faction.  Each race has a starting area.  Personal storyline merges with the others in the faction after the starting area.  Solo quest to level cap, then PVP or run raid dungeons.

I don't know that any of this guess is valid, but it sure sounds familiar.

Ken Fisher - Semi retired old fart Network Administrator, now working in Network Security.  I don't Forum PVP.  If you feel I've attacked you, it was probably by accident.  When I don't understand, I ask.  Such is not intended as criticism.
  • eyeswideopeneyeswideopen Member Posts: 2,414
    Originally posted by someforumguy

Doesn't have to be a bad thing if the personal story is 100% solo (or do they mean soloable?). It all depends on how much other content there will be.

I'm more concerned whether the game is only Elder Scrolls because of the lore and that the gameplay will be another run of the mill MMO.

There's already been more than enough info released, from Gameinformer and elsewhere, to answer that question. Yes, it will be another run of the mill circa 2004 mmo. And it won't even be the "real" TES lore, as they're making their own shit up as they go along to support their class/faction system.

-Letting Derek Smart work on your game is like letting Osama bin Laden work in the White House. Something will burn.-
    -And on the 8th day, man created God.-

• UhwopUhwop Member UncommonPosts: 1,791

Firor is out of touch, maybe not with the "typical" mmo game, but most certainly with ES fans.

The point of the ES games IS NOT that you're the hero, as he seems to think, but that you CAN CHOOSE not to be the hero.  If you just want to be a trader, youc an be a trader, if you want to be an alchemist you can just to that, if you only want to explore dungeons you can, if you want to hunt for ancient artifacts you can.  The entire premise of the ES games is the freedom to NOT BE the hero, to chose you're own path, not just in which order you'll visit quets hubs, but the role you take in the world as a whole.

He's completely missing this very important aspect of what makes the ES games great.  People do not play games for years on end because the main story line is great and they want to play it over and over.  It's because the game allows them the freedom to just keep on playing and experiencing the world from new vantage points, or to simply do whatever it is that they want to do whenever they want to do it, without the confines of HAVING to do something specific.

Something people maybe didn't pick up on, or maybe you guys didn't watch the actual video that the massively article got their information from.

There are quest hubs.  Just like in your standard, run of the mill MMO.  Only instead of the hubs being located in towns, they're located in other places.  Instead of going to the town near the "interesting tower off to your left", you will instead go to the tower and get quests, "it may even be a long quest chain".  After you do the quests a the tower "you would go to the bandit camp you saw nearby and do another series of quests", or you could go to the bandit camp and then go to the tower.  This may be reminiscent of the ES games, but it's still the same old moving from one quest hub to the next grinding quests.  How many times do I have to read an MMO review were the review says, "well it's still the same old, same old, typical quest grinding.", and this guy has the nerve to say that he knows what MMO players want?

That's funny, Bioware seems to think they new what MMO players wanted as well, and all I ever see is that the personal story was ok, but it made the game feel like a single player RPG with multiplayer thrown in. 

Oh, btw, he did indeed say, literally, that the person story is 100% SOLO!.  Not soloable, solo.  You do the personal story ALONE.  The personal story is the YOU in the world as the hero.  WTF is wrong with these developers that can't seem to grasp the single most important aspect of the genre of game they are making?  IT'S AN EFFING MMO.  Massively multiplayer!  Why do they think that single player stories is what a game designed to bring thousands of people together is what it needs.  It's entirely counter to the basic principle of what the game is supposed to be.

How the hell do you go from saying that you want people to play together, and that you want to make it cool, and then go on to say that what MMO's need are single player storylines that you do alone.  WTF!  Seriously?

And ladies and gentlemen, this is a guy that thinks that the critism that the game is receiving is good.  He beleives that we care about the game so much that we'll be the ones that play it. 

People, if this game releases the way they're saying it's going to, there will never be a proper ES mmo made.   This game will destroy any chance ES fans ever get of playing a Morrowind style MMO.  Do not settle for this hatchet job.  Make sure you voice your dislike of what they're doing to this game.

For the love of god, if you're an ES fan, do not buy it! 

And DAoC fans, you do not need this MMO if you're looking for 3 faction pvp ala DAoC.  Developers have heard you, they're making them, do not buy into this game just because they're doing 3 faction pvp. 

/endrant