Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Diablo 3: Doom & Gloom for Diablo 3?

1234568»

Comments

• MephsterMephster Member Posts: 1,188

It will never have the staying power and legs D2 did.

Grim Dawn, the next great action rpg!

http://www.grimdawn.com/

• FearumFearum Member UncommonPosts: 1,175
    Originally posted by Bruwin

In this thread, we've got one guy basically convinced that all isps are available in every part of the US, and they all offer the same level of service. He's completely wrong, but he'll believe what he believes.

Then we have blizzard fanboys that believe the people who didn't buy D3 should just suck it up because we're living in a brave new world. As much as I'm a Blizzard fanboy, these idiots make me sick.

And then we have the people who are saying that a game that can be played with single player should have been playable offline. A perfectly reasonable position that constantly gets attacked. The attackers toss about the names of other games, which are multiplayer only, in the hopes of muddying the waters. Yet, it doesn't change facts.

D3 is a primarily single player game.

Let me explain my position. Yes, there's an RMAH incoming, yes, you can complete the story with your friends online. Yes, there's pvp planned, etc. It doesn't change the fact that D3 is single player at its core. The entire story is written as if the player is the sole savior of the world. You can play, even though you are required to log into Battle.net, completely solo, with no strangers or friends joining the game. Every single difficulty is completely playable solo. There is no enrichment of the story if you play with more people. The only thing that makes it truly stand out from previous games in the series is that it's a bit easier to join up with friends.

There is nothing else about D3 that makes it stand out in the genre that it helped create, except that it forces an online connection just to play through it solo.

Unless someone can give me a definitive argument as to why this design decision should ever have been made, I am always going to argue on the side of the people who want offline single player. The arguments that people make now are simply ridiculous. WoW has been hacked with duping, speedhacks, etc, since its inception. There are sites that cater to making new hacks just for WoW when old ones get discovered and users banned. So if D3 is using a similar architecture, that does not make for a sound argument that D3 is inherently harder to hack.

Then there's the argument that because of the RMAH, everything must be online. Again, with previous security issues, that makes it very unlikely. Also, if the single player game is completely disconnected, character and all, then there is no need for any of the auction houses to interact with characters that are created for offline play. So hacked gold and items become a complete non issue.

At the root of the issue, we've just got people saying that having the game be entirely online makes it more secure. Why? Because it's more secure. Why is it more secure? Because it's online. This kind of circular logic is infuriating, because the people that are actively arguing it (and if you've argued for less hacking/rmah then you've argued for circular logic) will NEVER let that chain be broken.

D1 and D2 had their share of problems. But the current path chosen wasn't the right way to deal with those problems. It angered a small contingent that will simply refuse to buy anything Blizzard from here on out, and soured many more, which will probably affect future purchases.

Easy, real money aution house security which you already know so why you are creating a huge post about it is beyond me.

Easy fix for all the people that are mad at the online all the time needed to play it, Don't play it.

• JetrpgJetrpg Member UncommonPosts: 2,347
    Originally posted by Mephster

It will never have the staying power and legs D2 did.

Me and my friends are about done with it i give it maybe one or two weeks ... then we are back to lol, dota2, maybe tl2 we will see  (tera and hoping that gw2 will not suck).

"Society in every state is a blessing, but government even in its best state is but a necessary evil; in its worst state an intolerable one ..." - Thomas Paine

• c4viper1c4viper1 Member UncommonPosts: 28
    Originally posted by Uhwop
    Originally posted by aesperus
    Originally posted by Nadia
    Originally posted by Nirrtix

I find it amazing how childish people are because they could not play the first day returning the game and or whining about it. MAny games have first day or even week pains.

I have met so many uninformed people who bought the game thinking it was like Skyrim or Dragon Age (laughs) this game never was or will be meant to be like those this is a Dungeon crawler game.

i agree that the 1st week for any online game is probably going to be bumpy

a big part of players disappointments for connectivity is that, in the past, online was not a requirement to play Diablo

regardless of your opinion that diablo was never meant to be a dungeon crawler game,

D1 and D2 could be played like that if players chose to

- nothing wrong with variety in playstyle options

.... Except that. Starcraft 2 didn't have these issues. Diablo III, inspite of their claims, is a single player game with multiplayer features added on. The content is absolutely no different from one to the other, it just has the same ramped difficultly that D2 had. The most 'multiplayer' feature the game has is the RMT AH that they forced on us players.

Furthermore, it's not just the day 1 server downs, though to call that anything short of a disaster is a bit delusional. We are also forced to use battle.net, for a single player game, which not only clearly has problems staying online, but also has lag issues as well. In the past, if I wanted to play w/ my friends, we could either LAN it or setup our own network, and not have to worry about any of that stuff. Now it's all forced on us.

Maybe you guys like the direction this game has been taken in. Personally, I do not want to be reliant on an internet connection & unreliable servers to play anything that doesn't have to have them. I wouldn't accept this from skyrim, or arkham city, or uncharted; and it's not required for Torchlight 2. So I really don't see how it's all of a sudden 'okay'. If this was happening w/ any other title, I don't think people would be as accepting.

What are you doing?  Stealing your neighbors internet?  I'm trying to understand the big deal about having to have an internet connnection for someone who's posting on an internet forum dedicated to online gaming.  I'm a little baffled by the complaint from people here.

You obviously have internet.

You obviously have an interest in games that require an internet connection.

You guys even admit that you played over LAN. 

So let me do some math here.

You guys have interent, plus you guys have an interest in online games, then we add in the fact that most of you admit to playing multiplayer over LAN in the past with D2.  Yeah, I'm going to need someone with a better understanding of advanced mathematics to do this one for me. 

Maybe I'm missing a value?  It's 2012; not 2000.  Today most people have highspeed internet, and serevers aren't as expensive as people think, plus bandwidth is actually not as expensive today.  12 years ago most people had dial-up, serevers cost much more and the technology wasn't as good, plus bandwidth was actually more expensive.

Perhaps I need to add in a personal experience value?  I used to play warcraft and starcraft over LAN and networking because most games didn't actually offer dedicated servers.  I remember playing NwN on people servers with only a couple dozen people and wow talk about lag, and that was when broadband was first starting to get into homes. 

Perhaps I'm missing the college value?  My friends went to college in the mid 90's up to the beginning of 2000; they were playing these games over a university network, using a T1 connection.  It would be several years before people at home would get an internet connection remotely resembling what universities had at that time.

No, that didn't help.  Only made the equation that much more difficult.

This isn't the year 2000.  Internet and servers have come a long ways.  If blizzard had eccess to the kind of tech we have today, when they released D2, you can bet it would have been an only online game back then as well.

D2 didn't survive 12 years because it had phenominal gameplay.  It survived because it had phenominal multiplayer.  Welcome to the future guys, were games live and die by their multiplayer components, and game companies can afford to host dedicated servers at very little cost to allow them to make thier games strickly online.

If that's such a problem for some of you, then perhaps you should unplug your internet and stop complaining about a game requiring an internet connection, on an internet forum, dedicated to internet games.  

D3 is an online game, you don't have to accept that, but complaining about it here of all places is beyond rediculous.  How about you WRITE A LETTER to game informer instead?

Well consider Lan and offline play in Diablo as the "Condom" directive ... ( ever heard of it ? prolly not ^^ , but bear with me ... ) The condom directive states " Its better to have it and NOT need it then NEED IT and NOT have it ... "  Dont let other ppl decide for you, make up your own minds, after all our opinion is the one and only thing we truely own !

• Athena_StarfireAthena_Starfire Member UncommonPosts: 213

I haven't had any problems at all with D3 and no lag

• MaxJacMaxJac Member Posts: 185
    Originally posted by botrytis

The DRM is also to prevent the rampant hacking that happened in D1 and D2. In D1, I remember friends who all had one piece of armor - the Godly Plate of the Whale. It was all hacked. This way that won't happen.

As far as the auction house, I won't use it so it doesn't bother me one iota.

The game plays well and doesn't need a huge amount of horsepower to play well.

It will be nice to waste some time, playing it.

That was not hacking in Diablo. It was an exploited bug that Blizzard never bothered to fix. Probably because there were quite a few of them. It had something to do with the timing of dropping and picking up items. You could easily turn potions into any other item as long as you had at least one copy of it.

• weezlyweezly Member Posts: 4
    Originally posted by sunshadow21
    Originally posted by Ozmodan

Lots of game use the always online for DRM purposes.   If you are having a fit over such a feature I believe you are going to be missing out on most of the good games currently offered and what is coming in the future.

Personally I have not had one problem witht the game and am having fun.

I don't mind the base concept in theory, but if they are going to make what was previously an offline game that way, I expect a certain amount of value added back into the actual gameplay some other way, and nothing here suggests that has been done. Everything about the gameplay itself suggests that it's basically  a refined D2, which is nice, but not nearly enough to justify the need to always be online. I get they are trying to create a community feeling by adding a bunch of other stuff around the gameplay, like the auction house, but to me, that's not enough to justify the lost value because I would never use those "features" enough to make it worth it. I am glad others do, and for Blizzard to use such a model isn't that big of a deal, but there are too many who try to copy Blizzard in every single business decison they make, and while this isn't Blizzard's fault, it is an important consideration. I would like to be able to still be buying the occasional computer game 10 years from now, and if this is the trend that starts, I can guarantee I won't be bothering with them. When the price comes down, and the value of the game matches the price they are asking for it, I will buy the game. Until then, I have other things I can spend my entertainment dollars on.

And GoG is getting more and more members and games to download because of it.  LOL, tell you what when D3 comes out on GoG I might try it.  Oh ya they only sell DRM free downloads, guess us IT professionals and military types behind firewalls still have something to do in the off hours.