Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Diablo 3: Doom & Gloom for Diablo 3?

Comments

• itgrowlsitgrowls Member Posts: 2,951

The problems for this title were all poor design decisions on the part of blizzard, and when i say blizzard i mean the hacks that took over the projects that the ACTUALLY talented people left behind when blizzard execs were too stupid to keep their talent that went to other game companies. 

DRM: greed is the only factor for having this, they can lie to the public and claim its to kill gold farmers but there are other better methods of doing that without cashing in on the unemployed.

Delay to bring it to console: Instead of keeping their promise to those who paid the 1 year of WoW they decided to delay it even further just for an off chance of porting it over to console, until they can actually make the pc version work properly, no lag, no connection issues for 100% of their players, they should have waited until after they completed the game before taking yet another Greed route in the design process.

Persistantly online: VERY poor choice, who cares if someone makes their lan game godlike they suffer for it by not being able to play the game normally, the only reason they did this was to make their DRM greed dream come true.

Launch day issues: They had twelve years in the making of this title, 7 years of WoW, and launch day perfection for Starcraft 2 as a guide and they STILL managed to screw up launch day for the first two days of this title being out, if that doesn't tell you what kind of company this had become nothing else will.

The bottom line is this, Blizzard has become a mediocre company due to the execs taking over the creative process, when they actually come out of the greed house let me know and i'll be happy to cheer them on. This title and how they've handled it's problems and design choices. Meanwhile, i'll be supporting the actual talent of the original Blizzard games by buying titles put out by Runic Games, Arenanet. If I wasn't already playing WoW i would not have paid the $60 this game cost outright out of pocket. Sorry, but there is a difference between trying to make an honest living and outright crazy slobering greedmongers.

Ironically after typing this i was invited to the Torchlight II beta weekend LOL

• itgrowlsitgrowls Member Posts: 2,951
    Originally posted by heartless
    Originally posted by Mephster

The series ended with Diablo 2. I finished D3 on normal and I was quite diasppointed with it. The game lags alot, not all servers are stable yet, the story is too predictable and cliche, there are not a many viable builds as they said there would be, doesn't seem like magic find helps much and you are contasntly running back and forth t town to empty out the small inventory you have. Diablo 3 needed  better visionaries.

The people who were responsible for the original Diablo left Blizzard a long time ago. Some went on to make GW1 and GW2. Some made Torchlight 1 and 2. Diablo 3 ia basically created by a bunch of Full Sail graduates. I sincerely doubt that there is anyone on the Diablo 3 team who was a serious decision maker on the Diablo 1 and 2 teams.

Heartless is actually correct, the original 30 members of Blizzard North that made these games great due to their talent and vision left long ago due to the big producer execs at Vivendi deciding that the execs knew better then the design team on how to make these titles even better for the next versions. The hacks who took over the projects were only familiar with these titles third party when hired by Activision to produce the new title. It's in corporate history. The real talent went on to create the two well known companies Arenanet, Runic Games. One other company didn't survive it was called Hyboreal Games and it was disolved after creating the game Hellgate London before it went Free2Play.

• OtakunOtakun Member UncommonPosts: 874

So many people out to defend Blizzard for what if any other company would do would get blasted for. Good job at being suckers to Activision. 

• ThaneThane Member EpicPosts: 3,534
    Originally posted by Arakane

they lost me at the drm thing, as far as I am concerned,the Diablo series ended at D-2

just curious? how old are you?

as far as i am concerned, you never really played diablo :)

"I'll never grow up, never grow up, never grow up! Not me!"

• SilverbranchSilverbranch Member UncommonPosts: 195
    Originally posted by Mills007

Remember when you used to get excited over a Blizzard produced-game? Warcraft 2, Warcraft 3, Diablo, Diablo 2, Starcraft, Vanilla WoW.

Now, all I see is Activision getting their grubby little paws all over games and mucking them up, much like EA did to Bioware with SWTOR and Sony did with... well, everything, but we'll start with Verant and EQ.

Between the direction the latest WoW expansions have taken and are taking, Starcraft 2 being released with only 1/3 of the playable races's content in place (come on, that's like making an Aliens vs Predator game and only allowing you to play Colonial Marines in the storyline), now D3 (12 years for roughly 12 hours of content... sure, you can play it again on a harder mode, but come on) and the issues they're having.

Sad to see Blizzard fall so far, though I guess it's the guys at the top who have the farthest to drop.

It's called The Milking Machine, boys and girls.

And a sad, sorry, CAMOFLAGED purse snatcher it is.

It's all about structuring things to induce hooks into your wallets anymore, with actual game design and progression of the genre a thing of the past (for Blizzard anyway IMO).  So long as you can slap out ANYTHING that will entice players to hook up to a Blizz construct . . . with those little hooks for your green embedded . . . Arthus is satisfied.

Arthus runs Blizz now, and has for several years.

You know what would help Blizz out the most actually?  10 million subscribers unsub for 1 to 2 months.  Not stop play, but outright stoppage of blood flow for just 1 or 2 months.

That would act like a "defibrilator".  Interesting how one works, go look it up, the analogy is actually apt here.

Is the gaming community smart enough to do this however, given the heavy time-investment and "earnings" in-game that keep them tied to WoW logins?  Probably not.

Kind of a vision from the one trailer where Arthus summons the dragon skelly, and all his Minions below (WoW subscribers) look up with blank, dead eyes all blue-aglow, as Arthus waves his "thingy" about up above.

In case ya'll are just thinking I'm being blindly Blizz-negative, lets test that:

We all "expect" gaming companies to produce bigger, better, more advanced as time goes on, yes?

We hope that if game(s) become successful, they therefore become profitable.  If they become profitable that would be the FUEL by which "bigger, better, more advanced" can be funded.

SPOT CHECK:  WoW became a giant in number of subscribers, and amount of revenue pulled in.  In point of fact . . .  unprecedented.

The biggest money-maker, bar none, in all of MMO history . . . and it's gone nowhere but in the crapper.  The biggest example of MMO success hasn't advanced the GAMING genre one wit, but has instead slid backwards into doing the absolute least to maintain a fat subscriber stream of dollars every month, and it gets away with it not because WoW is particularly great anymore but because the people running Blizz understand how attached people get to things in-game.  Their "stuff" that's been accumulated over years of game-time online.

While Blizzard does have a significant overhead in maintaining servers and infrastructure to serve their subscriber base, no doubt, they still represent a company that achieved a revenue stream you'd surely expect much, much greater things of in an "evolving" (/facepalm) title.

But don't worry, they are working on their "Titan" project, yes?  What?  We'll be able to play back in Sargeras' time next?  With the Titans, and Sargeras battling demonic races as he imprisons them?

Egads.  What a Milking Machine that'll be, yes?

Wherever you go, there you are.

• eyeswideopeneyeswideopen Member Posts: 2,414

-Letting Derek Smart work on your game is like letting Osama bin Laden work in the White House. Something will burn.-
    -And on the 8th day, man created God.-

• SpardaXSpardaX Member Posts: 46
    Originally posted by orbitxo

best cinematics out there so far and detail.

WHAT????? best cinematics? seriously Final fantasy X had same or better cinematics and its a game from 2001, and FF makes much more epic stories and cinematics and they didnt have the same technology we have now

• DarKJudgeDarKJudge Member Posts: 8

I loved it!!! LMAO Everything you said was so true.

• ThorkuneThorkune Member UncommonPosts: 1,969
    Originally posted by eyeswideopen

http://video.msnbc.msn.com/in-game/47464672/#47464672

Oh wow...that was harsh. I played beta and and didn't see any of the bugs, but I saw that the game wasn't for me.

• SpardaXSpardaX Member Posts: 46

Diablo has the hype and the love of a freaking blizzard game who doesnt deserve it pure and simple, open your eyes for the variety of games you got and compare it with what diablo 3 has and compare diablo 3 with what games hack-and-slash were 13 years ago you will see theres nothing that diferent between them, but hey its a blizzard game lets run to the stores and make a boom of pre-orders so they continue shoving us games like these with no or few improvements, because we like it, well activision made a very smart choice buy the golden egg called blizzard and collects the rewards while it lasts.

• GrayGhost79GrayGhost79 Member UncommonPosts: 4,775

Oh wow thats extremely sad! Only 2.2 million pre-orders and they sadly included the 1.4 million free copies. So they didn't even break 1mil on pre-orders for Diablo 3? lololol

2.2million pre-orders

1.4million were given to WoW annual subscribers

800k actual pre-orders for Diablo 3........ epic!

• therain93therain93 Member UncommonPosts: 2,039
    Originally posted by Tardcore
    Originally posted by botrytis

The DRM is also to prevent the rampant hacking that happened in D1 and D2. In D1, I remember friends who all had one piece of armor - the Godly Plate of the Whale. It was all hacked. This way that won't happen.

As far as the auction house, I won't use it so it doesn't bother me one iota.

The game plays well and doesn't need a huge amount of horsepower to play well.

It will be nice to waste some time, playing it.

Funny, we avoided that by playing the game through LAN parties and single player mode. The concept of Battlenet is what is flawed, not the game. Sadly they've seen fit to give the consumer no other option this time round. And that's gone well for them this week hasn't it.

This sums up the situation perfectly.

• ShealladhShealladh Member UncommonPosts: 90
    Originally posted by Soulrift

My offline never-connected-to-the-internet Diablo 2 was perfectly immune to outside hackers.

Agreed, online connection with DRM for a single player game. Blazzard are tools

• OzmodanOzmodan Member EpicPosts: 9,726

Lots of game use the always online for DRM purposes.   If you are having a fit over such a feature I believe you are going to be missing out on most of the good games currently offered and what is coming in the future.

Personally I have not had one problem witht the game and am having fun.

• KickinPups2KickinPups2 Member Posts: 48

I just finished Reg and HM..in about  4 days played and playing about 6 hours a day....This is a joke...paid $60.00 for 12 years of dev? Don't get me wrong there are good aspects but the story was so short! the graphics are pathethic..Range classes are so OP my DH didn't die once from Act1 to fighting Diablo in heaven on reg.. HM is just cut and paste harder mobs bs...I was expecting a insane epic story line. I don't care what anyone has to say this is a rip off.!

Not to mention the community is just full of Barrens chat talk...The crafting is linear and boring..and Yes I have heared this isn't an MMO well if it isn't? or you aren't trying to give it that fele then why make is online acess only? for hackers who will make items and spawn gold everywhere..So what! Diablo was great because the feeling of single players was just amazing..This is a complete and utter sh*t pile of  game trying to appease the WoW masses..

Way to fail hard Blizzard! I thought Tera was bad...Atleast they are aware of there failure...

• IllyssiaIllyssia Member UncommonPosts: 1,507

I have been slowplaying Diablo 3...but, you're right it isn't a very big game. It's kinda aimed at the casuals out there, and the online experience isn't anything special.

• pb1285npb1285n Member Posts: 505
    I'm not taking away anyone's right to be angry about having to use their data if they have a limited data plan but its a moot point. Even if you played Diablo 24/7 for a month you'd only use a couple of GBs of data.

This is obviously unrealistic. The average user will probably only use 100MBs, 200MBs tops.
  • ZinzanZinzan Member UncommonPosts: 1,351
    Originally posted by Illyssia

I have been slowplaying Diablo 3...but, you're right it isn't a very big game. It's kinda aimed at the casuals out there, and the online experience isn't anything special.

This is why D3 shouldn't be discussed on an mmo forum....it's not an mmo and people are dead set in the MMORPG mindset.

D3 is hardcore, permadeath is hardcore although it can be played casually don't think this is the game. Completing the game on normal mode is akin to playing the training missions on an mmorpg. It's practice for the harder modes.

Every other post is about players completing normal mode in a few hours and QQing there is nothing else to do. Newsflash, you haven't completed anything, you haven't even begun to play the game.

D3 has it's faults, but not being an mmorpg isn't one of them.

Expresso gave me a Hearthstone beta key.....I'm so happy :)

• ZinzanZinzan Member UncommonPosts: 1,351
    Originally posted by KickinPups2

I just finished Reg and HM..in about  4 days played and playing about 6 hours a day....This is a joke...paid $60.00 for 12 years of dev? Don't get me wrong there are good aspects but the story was so short! the graphics are pathethic..Range classes are so OP my DH didn't die once from Act1 to fighting Diablo in heaven on reg.. HM is just cut and paste harder mobs bs...I was expecting a insane epic story line. I don't care what anyone has to say this is a rip off.!

Not to mention the community is just full of Barrens chat talk...The crafting is linear and boring..and Yes I have heared this isn't an MMO well if it isn't? or you aren't trying to give it that fele then why make is online acess only? for hackers who will make items and spawn gold everywhere..So what! Diablo was great because the feeling of single players was just amazing..This is a complete and utter sh*t pile of  game trying to appease the WoW masses..

Way to fail hard Blizzard! I thought Tera was bad...Atleast they are aware of there failure...

Take your training wheels off, jack up the difficulty and start playing the real game.

You are still in the tutorial.

Expresso gave me a Hearthstone beta key.....I'm so happy :)

• MorcotulconMorcotulcon Member UncommonPosts: 262

I saw my friend playing the game and I have to say it seems to be a very good game. But once he showed me the end of the story and the final battle against Diablo, I was somehow shocked and asked him "Did you completed the story in 1 day?". With his answer "Yes", I lost my interest in it. 

So I have a question: playing in harder modes will give you more story? or at least some parts of the story that he never saw? What about using other classes? Or is the story the same everytime you play it?

• AlienShirtAlienShirt Member UncommonPosts: 621
    My friend gave me a guest pass and I have played on and off this past week. My biggest complaint is the gameplay is identical to D2. The other changes made are not reason enough for me to purchase it.
  • DarSepkiDarSepki Member Posts: 51
    Originally posted by Shealladh
    Originally posted by Soulrift

My offline never-connected-to-the-internet Diablo 2 was perfectly immune to outside hackers.

Agreed, online connection with DRM for a single player game. Blazzard are tools

Blizzard are not tools, as they did well in disigning this money machine. I mean, look at it, not only do they have people pay full price up front but then take cuts when gamers trade virtual properity with each other. Then are fearsely defended by the general fanbase. They are an inspiration to scammers everywhere!

• nimmaranimmara Member Posts: 1

well I have already been hacked and all my account gold stolen

• RemyVorenderRemyVorender Member RarePosts: 3,991

After giving this game a fair shake with a friend's referral code (I got 2 characters to lvl 11), I was left with one burning question. It took them how long...for this? The game is OK, but it's way too simple and plays like it's 15 years old. I'm just not sure what the draw is. To each their own I guess. /shrug

Joined - July 2004

• dubyahitedubyahite Member UncommonPosts: 2,483
    Originally posted by GrayGhost79

Oh wow thats extremely sad! Only 2.2 million pre-orders and they sadly included the 1.4 million free copies. So they didn't even break 1mil on pre-orders for Diablo 3? lololol

2.2million pre-orders

1.4million were given to WoW annual subscribers

800k actual pre-orders for Diablo 3........ epic!

Or maybe it's the most pre-ordered game of all time? 

Shadow's Hand Guild
    Open recruitment for

The Secret World - Dragons

Planetside 2 - Terran Republic

Tera - Dragonfall Server

http://www.shadowshand.com