Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Diablo 3: Doom & Gloom for Diablo 3?

Comments

• NirrtixNirrtix Member Posts: 173

boytrytis, EXACTLY!

Nirrtix
    ALPHAs:
    -Pantheon
    -Shroud of the Avatar
    -Camelot Unchained
    BETAs:
    -World of Warcraft
    -City of Heroes
    -Star Wars Galaxies
    -Saga of Ryzom
    -Homeworld
    -Starcraft II
    -Warcraft III
    -Hearthstone
    -Star Wars The Old Republic
    -Vanguard Saga of Heroes

• Angier2758Angier2758 Member UncommonPosts: 1,026

To be blunt:

Gamers (especially mmorpg gamers) have become jerks and are stuck on the "customer is always right!" mentality taken to a spoiled extreme.

People want amazing graphics, but they also want it to play on their e-machine.

We want a deep unpredictable story, but they also want to be able to understand it at a glance.

We want really hard gameplay, but we personally want to find it easy and have only others struggle.

We don't want hacking, but we don't support any feasible way of stopping it.

It's a good game; if you don't like it that's cool, but stop acting like it's a bad game to make yourself feel better.

PS - getting a refund because you couldn't play it day 1 is pretty childish.  I bet their mothers went and complained to the teacher when their grades weren't perfect also.

Grow up... and guess what the customer is usually wrong, the business just smiles and lets you have your way for the good fo the business.... but make no mistake you weren't "right".

• Angier2758Angier2758 Member UncommonPosts: 1,026
    Originally posted by Ghabbo
    Originally posted by skeaser
    Originally posted by botrytis

The DRM is also to prevent the rampant hacking that happened in D1 and D2. In D1, I remember friends who all had one piece of armor - the Godly Plate of the Whale. It was all hacked. This way that won't happen.

As far as the auction house, I won't use it so it doesn't bother me one iota.

The game plays well and doesn't need a huge amount of horsepower to play well.

It will be nice to waste some time, playing it.

You're naive if you think that the always on will stop hackers. Battle.net was hacked in D2 and will be hacked in D3. 

Sorry, but I do not agree. Hacking D3 is like hacking WoW official servers (AFAIK it never happened)... the way it's designed makes it almost impossible to hack image

Might want to rephrase this... The WoW servers have been hacked countless times.  The catch is the culprit is caught because it's so flaming obvious.

However,  keep in mind games like EQ2 have rampant hacking to this day that sony refuses to address (mostly involving movement speed).

• VerenathVerenath Member UncommonPosts: 61
    Originally posted by Angier2758

To be blunt:

Gamers (especially mmorpg gamers) have become jerks and are stuck on the "customer is always right!" mentality taken to a spoiled extreme.

People want amazing graphics, but they also want it to play on their e-machine.

We want a deep unpredictable story, but they also want to be able to understand it at a glance.

We want really hard gameplay, but we personally want to find it easy and have only others struggle.

We don't want hacking, but we don't support any feasible way of stopping it.

It's a good game; if you don't like it that's cool, but stop acting like it's a bad game to make yourself feel better.

PS - getting a refund because you couldn't play it day 1 is pretty childish.  I bet their mothers went and complained to the teacher when their grades weren't perfect also.

Grow up... and guess what the customer is usually wrong, the business just smiles and lets you have your way for the good fo the business.... but make no mistake you weren't "right".

Completely agree with this in it's entirety.  Good post.

-Verenath-

• TardcoreTardcore Member Posts: 2,325

The DRM is also to prevent the rampant hacking that happened in D1 and D2. In D1, I remember friends who all had one piece of armor - the Godly Plate of the Whale. It was all hacked. This way that won't happen.

Funny, we avoided that by playing the game through LAN parties and single player mode. The concept of Battlenet is what is flawed, not the game. Sadly they've seen fit to give the consumer no other option this time round. And that's gone well for them this week hasn't it.

"Gypsies, tramps, and thieves, we were called by the Admin of the site . . . "

• Greymantle4Greymantle4 Member UncommonPosts: 809

Funny thing is on day one you just had to change regions and you could play. As for the AH its not in game so I don't even use it. I just sell trash to vendor and salvage magic items for mats.

I don't understand all the hate people have for games these days. Its not like anyone is forcing you to buy them. How about getting a new hobby that makes you happy. :)

• BeansnBreadBeansnBread Member EpicPosts: 7,254
    Originally posted by Zeppelin4

Funny thing is on day one you just had to change regions and you could play. As for the AH its not in game so I don't even use it. I just sell trash to vendor and salvage magic items for mats.

I don't understand all the hate people have for games these days. Its not like anyone is forcing you to buy them. How about getting a new hobby that makes you happy. :)

Yeah, you could play EU with 400 ping if you were in NA and then never use that character again in NA. Yay! I can play a character I will never play again!

I used to play EQ2 and I have seen the hackers first hand. When they do it it spazzes out jsut about everything within the vicinity of them.

Nirrtix
    ALPHAs:
    -Pantheon
    -Shroud of the Avatar
    -Camelot Unchained
    BETAs:
    -World of Warcraft
    -City of Heroes
    -Star Wars Galaxies
    -Saga of Ryzom
    -Homeworld
    -Starcraft II
    -Warcraft III
    -Hearthstone
    -Vanguard Saga of Heroes

Zeppelin the for real money AH is not in game.... they have a in game money AH that is in game now.

Nirrtix
    ALPHAs:
    -Pantheon
    -Shroud of the Avatar
    -Camelot Unchained
    BETAs:
    -World of Warcraft
    -City of Heroes
    -Star Wars Galaxies
    -Saga of Ryzom
    -Homeworld
    -Starcraft II
    -Warcraft III
    -Hearthstone
    -Vanguard Saga of Heroes

Cold... we are back to the "Why are you still whining about not being able to play on the first day?" question. That day is over. You can probably enjoy the game now. 

Nirrtix
    ALPHAs:
    -Pantheon
    -Shroud of the Avatar
    -Camelot Unchained
    BETAs:
    -World of Warcraft
    -City of Heroes
    -Star Wars Galaxies
    -Saga of Ryzom
    -Homeworld
    -Starcraft II
    -Warcraft III
    -Hearthstone
    -Vanguard Saga of Heroes

Originally posted by Nirrtix

Zeppelin the for real money AH is not in game.... they have a in game money AH that is in game now.

The AH is not in game. You have to log to character screen to use it. Not worth my time its not like I'm playing Diablo 3 to trade with others. If I want that I will play a MMO.

Cold... we are back to the "Why are you still whining about not being able to play on the first day?" question. That day is over. You can probably enjoy the game now. 

And I have. At least up till level 13. It went out about an hour or two ago along with WoW from what other WoW players were saying.It was only down for an hour or so.

But yeah, that was mostly a lunch day/intermitent throughout yesterday and today compalint.

(shrugs) I do not know if I will ever use the AH. Unlike some I do not oppose it. I do think linking all of your characters banks and money together was odd.

Nirrtix
    ALPHAs:
    -Pantheon
    -Shroud of the Avatar
    -Camelot Unchained
    BETAs:
    -World of Warcraft
    -City of Heroes
    -Star Wars Galaxies
    -Saga of Ryzom
    -Homeworld
    -Starcraft II
    -Warcraft III
    -Hearthstone
    -Vanguard Saga of Heroes

It only went out once for about 30 minutes Wednesday. I have had no problems since. If it makes all the whiners about launch day feel better I had a 103 fever and could not play. Oh yes I wanted to! The will was there the ability no. I am not complaining. I even caught up to the guys I play with levelwise. I guess my point is cry me a river about launch day if you want, I do not care. Many games have launch issues. WoW had HORRIBLE launch issues. SWTOR had horrible launch issues. I could name others many from developers that you would not expect launch issues from. Problem is sometimes they are unpredictable.

Nirrtix
    ALPHAs:
    -Pantheon
    -Shroud of the Avatar
    -Camelot Unchained
    BETAs:
    -World of Warcraft
    -City of Heroes
    -Star Wars Galaxies
    -Saga of Ryzom
    -Homeworld
    -Starcraft II
    -Warcraft III
    -Hearthstone
    -Vanguard Saga of Heroes

It only went out once for about 30 minutes Wednesday. I have had no problems since. If it makes all the whiners about launch day feel better I had a 103 fever and could not play. Oh yes I wanted to! The will was there the ability no. I am not complaining. I even caught up to the guys I play with levelwise. I guess my point is cry me a river about launch day if you want, I do not care. Many games have launch issues. WoW had HORRIBLE launch issues. SWTOR had horrible launch issues. I could name others many from developers that you would not expect launch issues from. Problem is sometimes they are unpredictable.

It just went out an hour or two ago.

(shrugs) I do not know if I will ever use the AH. Unlike some I do not oppose it. I do think linking all of your characters banks and money together was odd.

I don't even think about  the AH. I enjoy the game for what it is and so far I'm having a good time. The only complaint I have is it would have been nice to have a option to ramp the difficulty up. I would like to see this option in MMO's too.

If it went out it only did briefly. Seriously.... you care about a few minutes? (plays the worlds tiniest violin)

If you do not like it go back to WoW. WoW disconnects too you know.

Nirrtix
    ALPHAs:
    -Pantheon
    -Shroud of the Avatar
    -Camelot Unchained
    BETAs:
    -World of Warcraft
    -City of Heroes
    -Star Wars Galaxies
    -Saga of Ryzom
    -Homeworld
    -Starcraft II
    -Warcraft III
    -Hearthstone
    -Vanguard Saga of Heroes

If it went out it only did briefly. Seriously.... you care about a few minutes? (plays the worlds tiniest violin)

If you do not like it go back to WoW. WoW disconnects too you know.

Yeah, WoW disconnects too.

Actually, it was disconnected at exactly the same time.

• SiveriaSiveria Member UncommonPosts: 1,416

I dunno, I look at DIablo 3 and I am like.. After 12 years this game is seriously the best they could have done with all that devolopment time? I was expecting alot more after it being in dev for so long.

Being a pessimist is a win-win pattern of thinking. If you're a pessimist (I'll admit that I am!) you're either:

A. Proven right (if something bad happens)

or

B. Pleasantly surprised (if something good happens)

Either way, you can't lose! Try it out sometime!

• causscauss Member UncommonPosts: 666

Sometimes I have a little bit of lag, which is a minor annoyance. But other than that, the game is amazing!

I have the feeling, that most people who say the game sucks, haven't actually played it. Because the game is very well made for what it is, a hack and slash with lots of loot. Still my opinion ofcourse.

Also the comparison with PoE.. I play both. I really like PoE. I prefer the customization in PoE actually. But the combat is way behind. Diablo 3 plays excellent and smooth.

• UnlightUnlight Member Posts: 2,540
    Originally posted by Tardcore

Funny, we avoided that by playing the game through LAN parties and single player mode. The concept of Battlenet is what is flawed, not the game. Sadly they've seen fit to give the consumer no other option this time round. And that's gone well for them this week hasn't it.

Tard nails it.  They made a design choice that led to this mess, as well as simply pissing off quite a few people that would otherwise have become content customers.  They could have provided an offline option for those interested in a single player experience, but they *chose* to force everyone online.  Not only was it unnecessary, it was plain stupid.

• NadiaNadia Member UncommonPosts: 11,798

I find it amazing how childish people are because they could not play the first day returning the game and or whining about it. MAny games have first day or even week pains.

i agree that the 1st week for any online game is probably going to be bumpy

a big part of players disappointments for connectivity is that, in the past, online was not a requirement to play Diablo

EDIT

removed my comment about dungeon crawling, I misread quoted commentary

• someforumguysomeforumguy Member RarePosts: 4,088

So yes you are forced online in the singleplayer part. But this is a good thing. This means you can make use of the RMT AH and buy yourself some cool gear with real money. That this means you get some lag and rubberbanding now and then is just a small price to pay for such convenience.

That it might seem that Blizzard only forced the singleplayer part online to broaden their reach with their RMT AH and earn more money, is nothing but a cynical point of view! Everyone knows they put all their hard earned cash back into the development of Diablo 3!

So it is your responsibility as player to make some purchases in the RMT AH , making sure that Blizzard will get the funds to get rid of the lag and create stable servers for your single player game! It comes all down to you!

• aesperusaesperus Member UncommonPosts: 5,135
    Originally posted by Nadia

I find it amazing how childish people are because they could not play the first day returning the game and or whining about it. MAny games have first day or even week pains.

I have met so many uninformed people who bought the game thinking it was like Skyrim or Dragon Age (laughs) this game never was or will be meant to be like those this is a Dungeon crawler game.

i agree that the 1st week for any online game is probably going to be bumpy

a big part of players disappointments for connectivity is that, in the past, online was not a requirement to play Diablo

regardless of your opinion that diablo was never meant to be a dungeon crawler game,

D1 and D2 could be played like that if players chose to

- nothing wrong with variety in playstyle options

.... Except that. Starcraft 2 didn't have these issues. Diablo III, inspite of their claims, is a single player game with multiplayer features added on. The content is absolutely no different from one to the other, it just has the same ramped difficultly that D2 had. The most 'multiplayer' feature the game has is the RMT AH that they forced on us players.

Furthermore, it's not just the day 1 server downs, though to call that anything short of a disaster is a bit delusional. We are also forced to use battle.net, for a single player game, which not only clearly has problems staying online, but also has lag issues as well. In the past, if I wanted to play w/ my friends, we could either LAN it or setup our own network, and not have to worry about any of that stuff. Now it's all forced on us.

Maybe you guys like the direction this game has been taken in. Personally, I do not want to be reliant on an internet connection & unreliable servers to play anything that doesn't have to have them. I wouldn't accept this from skyrim, or arkham city, or uncharted; and it's not required for Torchlight 2. So I really don't see how it's all of a sudden 'okay'. If this was happening w/ any other title, I don't think people would be as accepting.

• ResiakrawResiakraw Member Posts: 73
    Originally posted by causs

Sometimes I have a little bit of lag, which is a minor annoyance. But other than that, the game is amazing!

I have the feeling, that most people who say the game sucks, haven't actually played it. Because the game is very well made for what it is, a hack and slash with lots of loot. Still my opinion ofcourse.

Also the comparison with PoE.. I play both. I really like PoE. I prefer the customization in PoE actually. But the combat is way behind. Diablo 3 plays excellent and smooth.

Agree with the custimization in PoE. So fun messing with all the different builkds you can do for the different classes and being able to transfer your skill gems around and deck out any character the way you want and create unexpected combinations of skills designed for different classes which actually work very well with your current build/class.

As far as the combat, I havent seen any huge problems with it. They recently improved the AI and aletered some of the skill effects and skills that mobs use and the game has gotten a lot more challenging, and they are continuing to work on adding new content and other improvements so maybe whatever you feel is lacking in combat will get improved as well.