Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

TERA: Review in Progress Part Four

13»

Comments

• SirBalinSirBalin Member UncommonPosts: 1,300

Did you just say the pvp servers need a, "PVP Off" button?  Are you kidding me?  That's call go to the PVE server...what a nub.  I love when PVER's want their cake and eat it to...you can't get everything your way...go to the pve server and have a turn on button...but don't go to the pvp server and have a turn off button.

Quests, while yes they are just run out and kill this, etc...most pvpers you'll find like this...so I wouldn't call that a bad thing.  As a avid pvper...I hate quests...so grind quests right outside the base are perfect!!

The grind is simple all the way through...people hit 60 in 4 days.  One guy in our clan played straight through on a zerker to see how fast he could hit 60 from level 1.  He did it in 36 hours straight.  Don't confuse this with L2 where you speed grind to 85 then the game stops moving.

All this game needs to go from good to epic is a quality siege system.

Incognito
    www.incognito-gaming.us
    "You're either with us or against us"

• xposeidonxposeidon Member Posts: 384
    Originally posted by afhn2110

Did you just say the pvp servers need a, "PVP Off" button?  Are you kidding me?  That's call go to the PVE server...what a nub.  I love when PVER's want their cake and eat it to...you can't get everything your way...go to the pve server and have a turn on button...but don't go to the pvp server and have a turn off button.

Quests, while yes they are just run out and kill this, etc...most pvpers you'll find like this...so I wouldn't call that a bad thing.  As a avid pvper...I hate quests...so grind quests right outside the base are perfect!!

The grind is simple all the way through...people hit 60 in 4 days.  One guy in our clan played straight through on a zerker to see how fast he could hit 60 from level 1.  He did it in 36 hours straight.  Don't confuse this with L2 where you speed grind to 85 then the game stops moving.

All this game needs to go from good to epic is a quality siege system.

PvP in this game is a joke...

And yes it's not that bad to level, specially if you can spend all day playing, but for casuals it'll be a pain to go through the endless Kill X/Y, Fetch X/Y Quests. It's just NOT fun, and I'm sure Mr. Bill is one of them, as it seems he just got to level 30 on his post.

Remember... all I'm offering is the truth. Nothing more.

• earthwizardearthwizard Member Posts: 1

Ok, my first post! Well for me it's been a combination of things that both entertain and exasperate as I've leveled up to 53 over the past couple of weeks. I hate comparisons among games, so will not go down that path. A game should stand on it's own or fail all by itself. I think it is too early to judge Tera to the full extent. MMO's of all brand and description will never meet everyone's expectations, nor please all players: a truism, but still worth restating. Let's agree, that Tera like other games is a grinder, nothing more nothing less. It does take a new spin on the genre by allowing many more options of grouping or not grouping. One can by pass the so called BAM's and still level up solo if one likes; yet, this path will take longer, since much of the xp in the game comes from the actual quests themselves, and not from grinding mobs per say.

As a warrior I've had my ups and downs with the game's mechanics. The warrior class in particular is more like a Rogue class in other games, rather than the typical slash and burn warrior type we have all come to recognize. Yet, I love playing it so far. It has both a dps and a off-tanking spec (i.e., using dodge and aggro, speed and kiting it can manage BAM's). But just barely, for it takes a good healer to keep a warrior going, and a good warrior to know just when to time his/her specific movements. And don't mention how los (Line of sight) issues can spoil the prize!

But like many others I came to the WALL at about level 52 when the quests and storyline suddenly took a downside and became a series of nothing bu BAM quests that needed a 5 man team to conquer. I belong to a good guild, we help each other, participate in the poltics - and this is a new aspect of the game, which will move in and out of the game ... but that is another tale! Our guild has 250 strong, and we have a smattering of all types of players, some that love to solo, some that love partying, husband/wife teams, you name it we got it.... And, like, many guilds we use the typical out-of-game chat systems: Ventrillo, TeamSpeak, Mumble, et. al... But I have come to the wall where now instead of progressing at a steady pace, I sit waiting, seraching the lfg, the instance matcher, etc. for sometimes hours waiting to move ahead. Is this good? Is this bad? I guess it's up to every user to decide. Between times I help lower level guildies to level up, but this can be a detriment to them for the game discourages this type of experience by penalizing the player xp it they are too high so that the lower tier players get the normal quest xp but very little of the grouping xp.

As for the dungeons: I have to admit they seem in some ways very repetitive... even if the basic scenery changes, the BAM's them selves have for the most part the same mechanics over and over and over.... very predictable, unlike games like Rift where one must spend a lot of time strategizing to conquer even the base mechanics of a raid scenario. And, yes, that brings us to another point: there are no larger raiding type instances in this game. Is that a detriment. All depends on your perspective I guess. For me the game satisfies my theme-park amusement for now. I will play for a while, enjoy the comaraderie of other players and the action type skill sets. But in the end this game will not be a place I'll call home as I've done with such games as Eve Online, Rift, Lotro, and a few others from the past... but, hey, it's been an enjoyble, if rocky run so far... and, I for one am going to give it a chance to prove itself by getting to Nexus and the Endgame content before I pass any final judgements.... I hope all of you do.... too!

"The truth of a man is found in the darkness..."
    - Sayings of Regettavok of Oorpah

• CoolitCoolit Member UncommonPosts: 661

I'd just like to say I much prefer the "Review In Progress" style of review over a standard "SWTOR"  type review where the score did not properly reflect the game. This review hasen't rushed to a conclusion which I like.  

Looking forward to the final part :)  

• LordDevilLordDevil Member UncommonPosts: 253

I am now at level 56 and I haven't experienced ANY slowdown during the leveling process.. its still too fast... from 50 to 52, took us around 2-3 hours... and now at 56... well it feels a tad slower but I can tell you there is definately no steep xp curve at the end :)

Also since you are moving always to another place (which always look even greater than the place before), I think the leveling is really well done. Yeah its traditional questing, but due to the graphics, open dungeons and cool BAMs I enjoyed the level process alot.

Currently playing: Archeage
    Waiting for: Black Desert

• sofakingdumbsofakingdumb Member Posts: 54

if ur not playig forsaken world, GTFO. it has everything and free, and comlimentary shop. Warning, ADD titlehoppers need not apply