Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

is it worth it? pleaes share with us

124»

Comments

• TheDarkrayneTheDarkrayne Member EpicPosts: 5,297
    Originally posted by colddog04
    Originally posted by Vannor
    Originally posted by colddog04
    Originally posted by Delerious1

Honestly you guys that keep talking about Diablo 3 lacking customization CLEARLY have not played the game.

I've played every class up to lvl 15 atm and in just the first 15 levels there are alot of different ways to build each class.

Literally every level you gain your build options exponentially increase.

Diablo 3 SHITS on D2 when it comes to build customization.

The only thing D3 doesn't have is passive stat points which don't mean dick anyhow because you would pretty much guaranteed pump points into vitality and your main damage/resist stat.  You don't need stat points in D3 because there are so many frickin build combo's from skills/runes/passives/weapons/gear/gem choices.

So if you problem with the game is lack of build diversity or the amount of builds you can possibly create then you are flat out WRONG.  End of story, not debatable.

Try actually playing the game past the tutorial stage...

Yeah, there's customization. But when I get to certain points, I feel like one skill/rune combo is just straight superior to the rest.

Maybe if they balance them out a bit t'll feel more like a choice.

It depends how you setup your items as well though. For example, If you have a lot of health gained on hit gear then AOE attacks are basically turned into self heals as well, so using more might be better... If you have life drain percentages then high damage single target attacks could heal you for more than aoe.

If you are on a corridor type level then AOEs that fire in a straight line might be more useful that ones that hit everything surrounding you.

Yeah, you are right on the mark with your comment. I just sometimes feel like there are certain combination that I just ignore completely. That doesn't mean it lacks customization. It just means that they maybe could give a little bump to some combos.

Should also consider that some rune variations and passive skills were probably designed with PvP in mind and might be much more vaiable for that.

I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it.
  • ZenIrishChaiZenIrishChai Member UncommonPosts: 527

Yes, and it was totally worth it. I've only played solo so far, passed normal, and about half way in to the first act on nightmare. It's a really well done game in all respects except connectivity problems. I haven't had most of the errors everyone else is getting, except for when they had to restart or shutdown the server. Considering how many years I've been playing MMOs, I barely even paid attention to it and am not part of all the people complaining about 'single-player online' requirements. It just doesn't bother me at this point. It felt like it was going down this road a long time ago when saving to cloud servers started so that basically whether I play single player or multiplayer, it's all connected and saved on their end anyway.

I'm not arguing against those with problems though. I imagine I would be upset too if I couldn't play a game that I expected to play based on prior diablos and it having a single player option. I'm just someone that doesn't mind it, but Blizzard really should've planned it better after so many years managing WoW online connectivity and a very large playerbase. There's no excuse, but I'm one of the lucky ones that is having a lot of fun with minimal problems.

• BadaboomBadaboom Member UncommonPosts: 2,380

I need to weigh in here.  I have been a fan of the series from the beginning, but had no interest in getting this game.  The impressions that I was getting and from what I have seen was that it was like a movie sequal without the main movie actors from the original movie.  Don't know why I got that impression.

So anyways, I just bought my son a new laptop for a grad present and he really wanted D3 so I figured I'd surprise him, get it and load it on their.  He lives in another city and am dropping it off next week, so I start playing this game.  Last night it sucked me in.  I finished ACT I and did it on multiplayer with this other Barbarian (I was a wizard).   We did some pretty good teamwork and I had a lot of fun...much more so than by myself.  Now I'm contemplating buying it and playing it at least until GW2 comes out.

On a side note:  I tried loading the game on my desktop computer and it says I don't meet the min requirements, which is not right since I exceed the req.  Anyone hear of this problem? 

My comp has an E8400 dual core 3.0 ghrz, 4 gig ram, GTX 460 SE, Vista 64.

• IrusIrus Member Posts: 774

Yes. (top option)

Not sure what problems you speak of.

• ValuaValua Member Posts: 520
    Originally posted by itgrowls
    Originally posted by Valua
    Originally posted by ste2000

{snip{

Hahahahhaahahahahahahahahahahhahahahahahahahaha, breathe, hahahahahahaahahahahahahahaahahahahahahaha.

Oh my god, this is the funniest post in existance! Thank you for that :)

Diablo is nothing at all like GW2, so why would people who want Diablo 2 want to buy GW2? Hahahahahahahahaa

Also no one from ArenaNet were lead designers for any Diablo game, just designers, which there were MANY of. 

Again, very ammusing :)

Actually no he has a point. The real talent behind Diablo II left blizzard because blizzard was too stupid to hold onto the talent that made their games great in the first place. Just look at the state of WoW right now and the launch day hiccups these people had with D3. The real talent behind blizzard games went into companies like Arenanet, Runic games, basically ALL of the companies that are ACTUALLY innovating the industry right now. (there's one more company that D2 devs and some WoW devs left Blizz for but i can't remember at the moment which company it is) so basically, Blizz is a shell of what it originally was and it shows.

GW2 is nothing like D3 no, however his point was that the REAL talent is making other game titles like GW2 and that's the point.

Talent is based on opinion, my opinion is that GW1 was a bad game, Torchlight is a shell of Diablo (in the worst way.)

In my opinion Blizzard is one of the most talented game companies in the world, the reviews and sales almost prove that, but it does come down to opinion. 

You might not agree, but I do.

• ValuaValua Member Posts: 520
    Originally posted by Valua

/snip

Hahahahhaahahahahahahahahahahhahahahahahahahaha, breathe, hahahahahahaahahahahahahahaahahahahahahaha.

Oh my god, this is the funniest post in existance! Thank you for that :)

Diablo is nothing at all like GW2, so why would people who want Diablo 2 want to buy GW2? Hahahahahahahahaa

Also no one from ArenaNet were lead designers for any Diablo game, just designers, which there were MANY of. 

Again, very ammusing :)

Maybe it is amusing because you don't have lot of experience in gaming yet...........(don't even bother to pretend)

Arenanet (the founders) were the main developers of Diablo 2, do some research.

I was a Guild Wars fanboy when the game was released few years ago, and I know a lot about Arenanet.

Guild Wars 1 was basically an Hack and Slash MMO, the combat was fast paced and involved lots of mobs  zerging like Diablo 2, although it had obvious some MMO elements thrown in it.

I didn't play Guild Wars 2 beta, but my point was that while Diablo 3 is not much different from Diablo 2, if you really want to see the natural evolution of the that concept, you need to look at GW and GW2,

Arenanet didn't make a Diablo MMO, but they updated  the Hack and Slash concept and made their own MMO using Diablo fundamentals while at the same time creating another unique and  distinctive game like GW,

That's what Blizzard failed to do with D3 by creating a game which is basically the same as Diablo 2 but with slightly better graphic (DDO graphic to be precise), and it took them 12 years..............

There is nothing different or innovative in D3 which we didn't see in D2 and that's very disappointing for a big developer like Blizzard.

No, I don't have much gaming experience. Only been playing games for seventeen years, since I was six. Not a lot eh? Don't call me a liar, or pretend to know me

Knowing the history of a game doesn't mean you have "gaming experience" so don't pretend like it does. 

Now with that out of the way I'll explain something that I seem to have to explain to a lot of people:

Your opinion is not fact, so don't go shouting around like it is. Blizzard is very talented, in my opinion, one of the most talented game companies in the world, in my opinion, much more talented than ArenaNet, in my opinion. See what I did there? You can't disprove my opinion.

Also, innovation and change isn't always good, again that is just your opinion. A lot of people don't like change. And Diablo 3 has done extremely well because it hasn't changed much. 

Good for Blizzard :)

• just1opinionjust1opinion Member UncommonPosts: 4,641
    Originally posted by thexrated

I am pleased with the game. Its good fun with few mates. I am not really planning to play it solo.

This, for me. ^^

President of The Marvelously Meowhead Fan Club

• ZaltarkZaltark Member UncommonPosts: 437

Im having alot of fun with it.

• botrytisbotrytis Member RarePosts: 3,363

I am enjoying it for what it is a simple game that is fairly easy to play. You don't have to read a 500 page manual to play it. Install - start it up - play. Pretty easy really.

• RedempRedemp Member UncommonPosts: 1,136

I am enjoying it with my mates as well, I can't help but feel they completely bastardized the loot though. It feels more like a WoW clone gear grind,  than a Diablo gear grind.

No Sets on normal ,  out of six of us only one has had a Legendary drop in normal , and one drop in a complete Nightmare play. Really? This is not my Diablo gear system...

WHERE IS MY WURMSKULL!!

• ThorbrandThorbrand Member Posts: 1,198

The game is much fun!

I think the main story is to short and the dungeons do not have the levels they should.

After normal mode it is fun just to co-op or you are just grinding levels and gear.

I think it is over priced since I have already finished the story.

• nariusseldonnariusseldon Member EpicPosts: 27,775
    Great game. More fun for me than almost all other mmos. Only downside is when the server is offline.
  • nariusseldonnariusseldon Member EpicPosts: 27,775
    Originally posted by Thorbrand

The game is much fun!I think the main story is to short and the dungeons do not have the levels they should.After normal mode it is fun just to co-op or you are just grinding levels and gear.I think it is over priced since I have already finished the story.

But you r no where close to max level. Since most dungeons r random, i thnk D3 is less repetition than most mmos.
  • rygard49rygard49 Member UncommonPosts: 973

I've only played it for a couple of hours inbetween working 11 hour days and taking care of a newborn, but so far I'm having a blast. I have a friends list just FILLED with buddies who play, and I can literally just jump into any game at any time, or they can join me. 

I'm a hardcore gamer turned casual due to life circumstances, and it's really convenient to be able to join my friends on the fly without having to spend hours doing pre-reqs to get on the same quest line. Then on my own time I can go back and get any story that I've missed.

Great game so far from my perspective.

• solarinesolarine Member Posts: 1,203
    Originally posted by FrodoFragins

If you love ARPGs and aren't anti-Blizzard or a rabid DRM hater then yes it's absolutely worth it.

Here's another perspective, from quite a different spot on the spectrum:

First, I don't love ARPGs. I even find the genre a bit boring: I had a really hard time playing any ARPG other than Diablo. For example Torchlight, even as I thought was "cute", left me really reluctant to log in - it had no "hook" at all for me. I didn't really *love* Diablo 2, either. It didn't have the freshness of the first, and to me, not the same level of immersion.

I'm not anti or pro Blizzard. I do think WOW was a great game, and I did love Diablo 1, but honestly I can't stand their RTS games (and I don't hate the genre or anything).

I get annoyed by DRM, and much prefer not having it, but it's not a dealbreaker.

And I think Diablo 3 is absolutely worth it.

To me, it's not about "dumbed down" or "in-depth" customization systems; I don't play the systems... I just find the game itself  to be rather immersive. I'm actually hooked up on the story more than a lot of heavily story-based RPGs I've played the last few years. I love how they've handled presenting lore (a lot of good reading / listening material around if you explore a bit). I love the animations, the sound effects, the music, and the overall art design (I do like the 2D-ish "dark storybook" feel). 

So, yeah... you may not be an ARPG, a Blizzard or even a Diablo 2 fan, and still really enjoy this game in my book. :)

• majimaji Member UncommonPosts: 2,091

I don't know... I played Diablo 1 and 2 a lot. Really a lot. And 3? My highest level character is now 20 or 21... and I'm a bit like "meh". It's a good game alright, but... somehow I don't feel like playing it a lot.

I come home after work, watch some tv, play a bit of Tera, then play half of the next level in diablo 3, and then consider playing tera again, or something else, or read a good book.

It's not a bad game, but somehow it's not gripping me.

Let's play Fallen Earth (blind, 300 episodes)

Let's play Guild Wars 2 (blind, 45 episodes)

• RedempRedemp Member UncommonPosts: 1,136

The more I think about what I don't like with this iteration in the Diablo series , the more I keep coming back to its WoW influences. I really think this game was designed for the WoW crowd, which simply isn't my idea of good gaming. I LIKE the game overall .... but I highly doubt I play it like I did the first two, simply because the game just oozes WoW mechanics. I don't want a progressive gear grind to this degree,  I want my random .. "Oh MY GOD  do you SEE what that skeleton just dropped! ". You won't find that in Diablo 3 ... what you find, I'm only in nightmare, so far is .. "Oh another yellow dropped... I doubt its an upgrade and if it is .. only marginally so "

Enrage timers, Professional teams competing for arbitrary world firsts with support teams, bloated auction house, why does every profession need to have a unique resource pool ... enough said.

So ... yes, I am enjoying it ... but I also detest the bastardization they have done to it.

• FrodoFraginsFrodoFragins Member EpicPosts: 5,903
    Originally posted by solarine
    Originally posted by FrodoFragins

If you love ARPGs and aren't anti-Blizzard or a rabid DRM hater then yes it's absolutely worth it.

Here's another perspective, from quite a different spot on the spectrum:

First, I don't love ARPGs. I even find the genre a bit boring: I had a really hard time playing any ARPG other than Diablo. For example Torchlight, even as I thought was "cute", left me really reluctant to log in - it had no "hook" at all for me. I didn't really *love* Diablo 2, either. It didn't have the freshness of the first, and to me, not the same level of immersion.

I'm not anti or pro Blizzard. I do think WOW was a great game, and I did love Diablo 1, but honestly I can't stand their RTS games (and I don't hate the genre or anything).

I get annoyed by DRM, and much prefer not having it, but it's not a dealbreaker.

And I think Diablo 3 is absolutely worth it.

To me, it's not about "dumbed down" or "in-depth" customization systems; I don't play the systems... I just find the game itself  to be rather immersive. I'm actually hooked up on the story more than a lot of heavily story-based RPGs I've played the last few years. I love how they've handled presenting lore (a lot of good reading / listening material around if you explore a bit). I love the animations, the sound effects, the music, and the overall art design (I do like the 2D-ish "dark storybook" feel). 

So, yeah... you may not be an ARPG, a Blizzard or even a Diablo 2 fan, and still really enjoy this game in my book. :)

It's impossible to answer this question without knowing where people are coming from.  I just picked one that covered the major bases. 

If someone just wants to play it as single play once thru normal, I'd say it most likely isn't worth it to them at $60.  The same is true if they hate Blizzard or online only.  If someone has never played an ARPG, then it's impossible to gauge whether it will be worth it to them.

• wasim470wasim470 Member Posts: 243

Ok thank you all for sharing,

i did read a lot of ppl talking about what problems D3 has no Problems , i just want to tell you don't lie to yourself :).

any way i did get a GP from a friend last night and i spent some time in the game, gota say i really like it.

What i like :

- The Combat..... i felt the impact while hitting even the smallest imps it was really cool to throw them around with my Big Barbarian club.

- the feeling of D2... let's be honest here i did feel D2 in there maybe not as much as i needed to but it was there.

- The Music.... it was pretty much based on D2 music till now, but i's very good and adds a great flavored.

- In game chat....this really made me happy i was able to tlk to my friends even when they are playing wow.

What i don't like:

- The Lag.... it's very silly that I am playing Solo and i get Lag in the game and spicks, i mean my internet is not the best but common i play BF3 with no lag and SWTOR with no lag.

- I used to love playing D2 on my laptop while waiting at the Airport or let's say while waiting anything any ware here, now i can't do that with D3 am going to need a good internet connection.

- the Normal mode felt a bit easy i know am only lvl 8 but still the game is not that hard to master, and some challenge in NM is always welcome without the Hardcore madness.

- the Hero advancement system is not the best.

My Concerns:

- I’ll start with my silly one , let's say i want to play this game after 12 years just like am doing now with D2, Who can guarantee that Blizz servers will be up then :), " i just don't feel the ownership of the game ".

- i did hear a lot about PPL finishing the game in 12h is that true ??? i really hope not.

• AznmaskAznmask Member Posts: 178

$60 is not alot because I probably spend more than $60 in the club. Which not always guarantee me fun.

So it worth it. lol

So far so good, Lv29 on Act 3. This is my first diablo game.

•  

It is. You feel the 12 years in just how solid it looks and feels to play. The combat is crazy fun, grotesqueness and evil everywhere, a cool story and that's Diablo I/II/III for you.

And I loathe Blizzard. I really do. I can see how manipulative they are and how corporate culture is driving design decisions.

Playing from Australia. No problem with the online requirement. No lag. No error 37. For those suffering internet issues with D3, that really does suck and I do agree that Blizzard isn't doing the right thing by you.

• MikkelBMikkelB Member Posts: 240

For me it was worth the money. Aside from some problems with logging in at the first few days, I enjoyed my time in the game. Clocked in 22 hours before I finished my first normal run on my Wizard. 22 Hours is more then I spend in some others games that costs that much. Of course this doesn't mean much, but I enjoyed every act (aside from some fucking elites group, spawning behind goddamn, bloody doors and walling me in).

Comparing it too other hack 7 slash games, the skillsystem and more importantly, the resourcesystem, make for a very engaging game. You can go from pack to pack, slashing your way through, which feels awesome. Normal mode felt a bit on the overpowered side (true to the lore perhaps, seeming you are pretty much Jesus incarnate), but nightmare is were the game begins (for me at least).

What's more, every class feels fun to play, so I think I will spend many more hours in this games.

So yes, it's totally worth it.