Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Don't go by Total Biscuit's completely misinformed review/rant of D3

Comments

• ShakyMoShakyMo Member CommonPosts: 7,207
    Originally posted by FrodoFragins

I generally appreciate his input, but this review/rant is a total hack job of misinformation.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F9WbqdYuba4&feature=plcp

He has several misconceptions/biases about D3.

1) He seems to think the scene can hack the game to be playable offline.  That's an absolute joke.  The best they can do is make it easier to connect to a server emulation once they are written.  I don't think he even grasps server/client relationships.

2) He seems to only care about the game as a single player game.  As such, he doesn't care about item hacking or bnet cheating.  He completely minimizes the benefit of storing all characters on their servers and running most of the code on their servers.  That doesn't mean that

3) He only sees the evils of the RMAH and completely ignores the gold AH.  Ever tried trading items in D2.  the options were to create a game name with the trade you wanted, but if it wasn't elite good luck.  The other popular method was  D2JSP, where one person profited financially and trades were not secure.  You might get a refund from d2jsp if you got scammed, but that's a major hassle.

4)  He's not even a fan of the genre and thus he clearly wasn't a serious online D2 player and doesn't understand the appeal.  Which is why he sees TL2, with an open BNET type of system, and POE which also is online only,as comparable.

If you want a simple single player hack&slash and aren't that interested in the genre, like Total Biscuit, then definitely buy Torchlight 2 for $20.  But don't take his review as being a well informed critique of the genre or the game.

hey at least you can play TL2 when the servers down - for less money

so you have 2 games that pretty much do the same thing.

one is a third of the price of the other and you can play YOUR game when the hell you like.  The other your reliant on someone else doing their job and allowing you to play THEIR game.  I dont always agree with MrBiscuit, but in this regard he is correct.

• Grimrist000Grimrist000 Member Posts: 82
    Originally posted by sonoggi

TB is kind of a dbag. i only dont mind him for all the advertising he does for GW2, but thats about where it ends.

welp. back to D3.

how ironic.

i agree with most of what he said. i'd rather see someone as known as him raise concerns and awareness when it comes to these things than see him appease the fanboys. he's doing far more good for gaming in general than the majority of the people in these boards.

• FrodoFraginsFrodoFragins Member EpicPosts: 5,903
    Originally posted by Creslin321

The only argument I have ever heard for why the online only thing actuall prevents cheaters/hackers moreso than simply having single player and multiplayer only characters, is that hackers can't crack the game because they don't have the server side code physically installed on their machine.

But um...that's stupid.

There are TONS of private WoW servers out there.  Which means folks have obviously got their hands on the WoW server side code.  And yet...WoW isn't rife with cheaters and hackers.

Emulators are made based on examining the packets sent between the server and client and analysis of the client and the placement and apparent AI of the mobs.  Emulator writers don't have access to the server source code, they just do their best to mimic the behavior.  They have no idea what Blizzard specifically does on their end.

• FrodoFraginsFrodoFragins Member EpicPosts: 5,903
    Originally posted by ShakyMo

If you are a casual ARPGer then yes TL2 will give you somewhat the same experience.  If you want a multiplayer game where you don't have to worry about people using mods to give them all the gear they want, then TL2 is not for you.  TL2 is designed for short term play, D3 is designed for long term play.

• Drekker17Drekker17 Member Posts: 296

I like TB most of the time, but when it comes to Blizzard stuff he is very biased against them.

I was watching the TGS podcast, its a podcast with youtube people Tb, this guy name Jesse Cox, girl called Dodger, and this guest called Angry Joe. Everyone else played the game and had much more neutral views of the game, when you heard TB talk he said he only played 3 hours, which they all agreed the beginning is somewhat boring. However, he said he played 3 different classes and that T2 was more meatier, however the last time he played the other classes was in a early beta. He just seemed very inconsistent in comparison to the others. The other people had very specific complaints (no cool gear at first, fun fights come later, some group problems), while TB was pretty much like, "I just don't like it."

For this video, the only thing I agree with is that a singleplayer game shouldn't require you to be online, but everything else just sounded (oddly typical of the wow players he now hates) like complaining about stuff he doesn't have to use, but may be cool for someone else.

"Great minds talk about ideas, average minds talk about events, and small minds talk about people." - Eleanor Roosevelt
    "Americans used to roar like lions for liberty; now we bleat like sheep for security." -Norman Vincent Peale

• Creslin321Creslin321 Member Posts: 5,359
    Originally posted by Creslin321

The only argument I have ever heard for why the online only thing actuall prevents cheaters/hackers moreso than simply having single player and multiplayer only characters, is that hackers can't crack the game because they don't have the server side code physically installed on their machine.

But um...that's stupid.

There are TONS of private WoW servers out there.  Which means folks have obviously got their hands on the WoW server side code.  And yet...WoW isn't rife with cheaters and hackers.

Emulators are made based on examining the packets sent between the server and client and analysis of the client and the placement and apparent AI of the mobs.  Emulator writers don't have access to the server source code, they just do their best to mimic the behavior.  They have no idea what Blizzard specifically does on their end.

So you're telling me...

That these guys are able to literally REWRITE a functioning version of the server source code by analyzing the network packets that go between the client and the server.  And yet, they wouldn't be able to figure out how to exploit a game without having the compiled code on their machine?

Something just doesn't sound kosher about that.

Also...what about games like Starcraft?  That game wasn't online only and it was intensely competitive.  Yet I don't recall cheating completely ruining the game.

I had heard rumors of map hacks or what not, but my guess it that they got ironed out in patches just like an exploit would in an MMORPG.

Are you team Azeroth, team Tyria, or team Jacob?

• Creslin321Creslin321 Member Posts: 5,359
    Originally posted by ShakyMo

If you are a casual ARPGer then yes TL2 will give you somewhat the same experience.  If you want a multiplayer game where you don't have to worry about people using mods to give them all the gear they want, then TL2 is not for you.  TL2 is designed for short term play, D3 is designed for long term play.

If other people getting things without playing through the game bothers you then...

What is the difference between someone who hacks the game to get an uber item, and someone who buys an uber item on the RMAH?

I know you're going to say that a player actually has to get the item to put it on the RMAH.  But really, given enough time there are going to be tons of items on the RMAH so it will hardly matter.

Are you team Azeroth, team Tyria, or team Jacob?

• KalferKalfer Member Posts: 779
    Originally posted by Drekker17

I like TB most of the time, but when it comes to Blizzard stuff he is very biased against them.

I was watching the TGS podcast, its a podcast with youtube people Tb, this guy name Jesse Cox, girl called Dodger, and this guest called Angry Joe. Everyone else played the game and had much more neutral views of the game, when you heard TB talk he said he only played 3 hours, which they all agreed the beginning is somewhat boring. However, he said he played 3 different classes and that T2 was more meatier, however the last time he played the other classes was in a early beta. He just seemed very inconsistent in comparison to the others. The other people had very specific complaints (no cool gear at first, fun fights come later, some group problems), while TB was pretty much like, "I just don't like it."

For this video, the only thing I agree with is that a singleplayer game shouldn't require you to be online, but everything else just sounded (oddly typical of the wow players he now hates) like complaining about stuff he doesn't have to use, but may be cool for someone else.

Well has he ever claimed to be this neutral guy?

Ain't he just a man who plays what he enjoys. Now it's all about GW2 and Planetside 2 for him, because that's his thing. People got angry with him because he was not going to be primarily devoted to SWTOR. He doesn't have to be fair.

I haven't seen the video you mentioned but I saw the one were he talks about Path of Exile, and it was also very much "this is not my type of game" and thats understandable. I said the same thing about black ops. He is very marticilious(spelling?) about a lot of things. Things like no hit scan(tribes ascend rants) makes him angry as well. 

He doesn't have to be neautral. This is the same argument as in the metacritic thread. Nobody should base their opinions about anything, on others. Not metacritic, not "official reviewers", not IGN, not TotalBiscuit, not this sites hype meter. Nothing of these things give the truth about anything. It's all projection, but people act like they are getting these opinions forced down their throat, or that its their job to correct someone elses perceptions, views and feelings about something.

It's a losing battle, because nobody will ever convert anyone. People need to enlighten themselves. You do that by being a good example, not by shouting the loudest or trying to call out the liar liar pants on fire guy with the biased opinion.

• SanguinelustSanguinelust Member UncommonPosts: 812
    Originally posted by Precusor

He sounds buthurt.

If you're going to use that as an insult you could at least spell it right.

• HatefullHatefull Member EpicPosts: 2,502

To be fair - 

I hate D3.  I hated the original, and I hate D3 as well.  Someone gave me a starter key so I played it as far as I can go, and I hate it.  I am sure if you are into that type of game, its great! better than free money but the game is not for me.  

I figured since I could get into LOL I may get used to the weird view angle, but no, I hate it and I will always hate it (I expect).  But that does not matter does it?  My hate for the game should have absolutely zero bearing on your enjoyment of it.  I will not be spamming you, calling you a leper because you do like it.  My point is, I think at some point we all just need to agree to disagree and move on.

If you want a new idea, go read an old book.

In order to be insulted, I must first value your opinion.

• dllddlld Member UncommonPosts: 615

I doubt they truly care too much about piracy they know it's going to get hacked either way, they just want that extra cash from the AH since people won't be able to cheat in SP mode to get better stuff so they now have to buy it.

• joocheesejoocheese Member Posts: 845
    Originally posted by dlld

I doubt they truly care too much about piracy they know it's going to get hacked either way, they just want that extra cash from the AH since people won't be able to cheat in SP mode to get better stuff so they now have to buy it.

yup... that's the key, money money money. Grant it, all companies are out to make money. But I think there are decent ways to make money and then there are cheap ways to make money.

The biggest issue for me is the fact that they are forcing singleplayers to log online, when Blizzard could have very easily created two modes in D3; an online (RMAH accessible) multiplayer mode and a none-online (lan-capable) singleplayer mode. Why didn't they do it you ask? To get everyone into the RMAH. Just like in Seaworld, to exit the park you have to go through their Shamu store.

• joocheesejoocheese Member Posts: 845
    Originally posted by Sanguinelust
    Originally posted by Precusor

He sounds buthurt.

If you're going to use that as an insult you could at least spell it right.

Really? you're gonna pull that sh*t?? Everyone here has made grammatical errors. Should we be going through all your posts looking for grammatical errors?

• MMOarQQMMOarQQ Member Posts: 636

Processing input seems like such a diffiucult task for some. My sincerest condolences.

• iceman00iceman00 Member Posts: 1,363
    Originally posted by NeoZcar2

For some reason the OPs rant on TB seems to be more about venting his frustration over the general negative view of Diablo 3 community wide then it does about TB's credibility as a game reviewer. 

That's what I took from it to.  "DAMN IT, STOP CRITICIZING MY GAME!!!!!"  For the record, I'm not playing D3.  Don't have time.

In regards to the OP here's what I do know.  Getting dc'ed in a single player game is all kindsa wrong.  Having server queues for a single player game is all kindsa wrong.  Having server lag in a single player game is all kindsa wrong.  I'm not a fan of DRM to begin with.  Yet I can stomach Steam's DRM of making a quick check when I start up Skyrim.  There are no queues, and if my internet connection becomes spotty, it won't kick me from the game.

And yes, TB really is right.  The only reason this kind of intrusive DRM for even single player mode is present is because of the RMAH.  They could have segregated your SP toon from your MP toon, at really little cost.  Yet that would remove the opportunities to cash in on things.

Now you may see that and view it an acceptable tradeoff.  Many do not.  That's what a disagreement is called.  It isn't something that can be completely dismissed with the wave of a hand.

• TerrorizorTerrorizor Member Posts: 326
    Originally posted by Hatefull

To be fair - 

I hate D3.  I hated the original, and I hate D3 as well.  Someone gave me a starter key so I played it as far as I can go, and I hate it.  I am sure if you are into that type of game, its great! better than free money but the game is not for me.  

I figured since I could get into LOL I may get used to the weird view angle, but no, I hate it and I will always hate it (I expect).  But that does not matter does it?  My hate for the game should have absolutely zero bearing on your enjoyment of it.  I will not be spamming you, calling you a leper because you do like it.  My point is, I think at some point we all just need to agree to disagree and move on.

I completely disagree and I won't rest until you retract your statement

Originally posted by TwoThreeFour
    Originally posted by Loke666
    Originally posted by TwoThreeFour

The gems for gold  system is garbage. The regionbased lock-out so that Europeans wouldn't import copies from overseas was garbage too (don't know if has been fixed by now).  If Arenanet introduced a straight RMAH like Blizzard is doing in Diablo 3,  there would be people who would think it is okay, because it is just convenience, you can earn the same items by playing. Both those arguments apply in Diablo III as well: just time convenience and you can earn the items through playing. 

If Diablo 3 would have been a B2P MMO i would have agreed with you. But it ain´t, it isn't even a CORPG.

D3 is a regular single/multiplayer dungeonhack. Any kind of AH have nothing to do in games like that.

Why do AHs have nothing to do in games such as that? Again the arguments are the same: it is completely optional time convenience for those who choose to use it. You can still earn all the items offered in the AH by just playing. Unless you really care a lot about what other people have and do, it shouldn't bother you, right?

Yet those who would choose not to use the AH are punished.  If they want to play single player, they must be online, and wait in a server queue...... for a %&*%&% singleplayer.

• kLipsiSkLipsiS Member Posts: 3
    The only thing that upsets me about the D3 hate is the inconsistencies that plague the gaming community.

RMAH: People seems to get upset with this. Why? It's not like if it wasn't there people wouldn't still do this. We are all adults (I think) We understand that a business exists to make a profit. If there is a market of people who are going to spend money on digital items, why shouldn't blizzard, or any company, get a cut of that? From a shareholder perspective, it would be bad business to not monetize something as profitable as this.

People want to believe that blizzard is a small team of gamers making games for gamers. This is simply not the case. What may have been true in the 90's is no longer a reality. This is a massive company valued at billons of dollars. They're not going to do anything that interferes with their ability to make a profit. You can disagree with the concept of a corporation, or the entire system of capitalism all you like, but it won't change the core facts that blizzard isn't your friend anymore than Mcdonalds, Walmart or Best Buy is.

Error 37:
    Then people complain about not being able to access the game in a timely manor. This is understandable, but again, we descended into madness. It's just pathetic to see grown men and women whine like children when they can't do something they want to. Blizzard wasn't going to have 1million servers at launch, and it's not like they only had 1. Were they off in their calculations? Absolutely. But their end goal isn't just to make sure everyone can get online, it's to make sure that everyone can get online at the least cost possible. I know this is painful to understand, but again, they're not your friends. They don't do things for your benefit and it's silly and immature to assume otherwise. A company has a responsibility to its customers, this is true. It is however, illogical to assume that a company will make a decision that puts it's self at risk of losing money. They're just not going to do that for the benefit of a few customers. It doesn’t make sense financially, not to mention they have other customers (shareholders) to pander to as well. It wouldn’t look good on a conference call to say we overspent on servers and now can’t recuperate  that money until later.

I took off two days from work (way in advance, and I didn't use any sick days so I’m not irresponsible :) and wasn't able to play until about 6am EST. Do you know what I chose to do instead of play Diablo 3? It really doesn’t matter, but I definitely didn’t' take to the Internet to complain that I, a grown ass adult in America, wasn't able to play a videogame the second it went live. It was DISGUSTING to see how many people really cared so much. GO.DO.SOMETHING.ELSE.

It's like people have never been on the planet before when shit like this happens. Sometimes there is traffic. Games get rained out. The girl doesn’t like you back. Bottom line being life is hardly ever fair. How come this basic tenet of adult life escapes us when it comes to games? It's just sad.

Not like the other games I played:
    This one again is legitimate. I would venture that this means people don't like the game because of this. Okay, that’s understandable. I wouldn't play a game that I didn't like, but I also wouldn't say the game was horrible because of it. People use this as a solid arguable point but it simply isn't. Just because it's not like D2, doesn’t mean it's bad. That's a really stupid argument. For people with kids, how many times has something like this come up? How did you resolve it? Why can't ADULTS ON THE INTERNET do it then? It's just sad.

Here we are, living relatively comfortable lives, complaining about mindless entertainment escapism when there are people being murdered by their government in Syria, or starving in Darfur. I know it's lame to bring that shit up, but it's true. Everyone’s running around crying about our horrible first world problems. OMG LIKE I CAN’T CONNECT TO D3 NEGATIVE 1 ON META CRITIC THAT’LL SHOW’EM

It's just sad.
     Oh in Case TB reads this, I still think you're awesome because of what you do for SC2. Thanks, as a fan of Esports

I understand the RMAH is simply a response to a market demand.  That doesn't mean I have to like it, and I don't think it is healthy long-term.  Short term demands can bring long-term pain.  (Look at our current woes.)  Yet they could still use an RMAH without such an excessive feature like always-online for even a single player game.  They didn't because they want you to use the RMAH.  If they came out and said it, such honesty would be refreshing.  The DRM piracy stuff has nothing to do with it.  NOTHING.  No other cloud service does this for single player games, even though they all use DRM.  And their record of stopping cheaters is better than Blizzard's has been.

• Terminus-EstTerminus-Est Member UncommonPosts: 352

I agree - it is just a rant. This guy sounds like a total biscuit to me.

• crazynannycrazynanny Member Posts: 173

Seems like OP actually is one of few who understands in which way Blizz wants D3 to be and all the dynamics behind it. So grats for You man!

Truth is Blizz cares about cash as any other company out there. But since they aren't dumb they know that most $ comes from loyal customers that'll use their products for years aka online players that will use RMAH.  As I said Blizz is smart so they didn't of course put casual solo players out of the picture. And seeing all the rage I'll say Blizz marketing team did splendid job. Anyways casual soloers never were and won't be peeps Blizz will care for, cause they pay 60$, finish it few times and move on. Hardly a good customer for company that launches game once a blue moon.

So yeah, there are a lot of DRM rages around, ragequits and hating, yet in few months those people will move on to another FOTM game and rage there cause it's not 100% perfect(say like ME:2 ). But loyal customers will still play and have fun instead wave of hacks, dupes and all sort of other gimmicks D2 was plagued with. And they'll trade gear and characters and Blizz will get $(and so will players). A truly fanboy dream come true ;-) In reality we'll see if they manage to achieve it, but if yes I'll *clap* and say good work Blizz.

Anyways everyone, like OP, who knew what D2 was for all those 12 long years and where money went(d2jsp like sites, while Blizz took costs) already understand that. Peeps not into franchise, haters, won't understand or just doesn't care.

Oh an TL isn't some sort of uber creative work from Blizz ex-employers, it's more a spinoff from old Diablo-clone series called Fate.

Originally posted by crazynanny

If you disagree with me you aren't a real fan, your some casual player nobody gives a damn about!  nubsauce I pwnzor j00!!!!!!!eleven!!!!!!!

That's the TL: DR version for people who want to read through the spin.

• ZinzanZinzan Member UncommonPosts: 1,351

TB does tend to rant at times, he had a good old moan about ME3 as well (check that out, it's funny). But then why the hell not? It's his channel, his opinions.

If you don't like them, go listen to whatever biased reviewer/blogger you prefer, no-one forces anyone to listen.

Im quite a fan of TB, have been for a long time. Im not saying i agree with everything he says but I (unlike most of the sheep here) can formulate my own opinions and still tollerate and appreciate others right to have differing views and appreciate them taking the time to express them in a format i can access.

Expresso gave me a Hearthstone beta key.....I'm so happy :)

• BeansnBreadBeansnBread Member EpicPosts: 7,254

I kind of want this thread to keep going. I think he was spot on with his criticisms. I also think Diablo 3 gameplay/graphics are solid. Now I'm hoping Torchlight 2 offers a better gameplay experience because he was literally having fun in a genre he generally does not enjoy.

• BizkitNLBizkitNL Member RarePosts: 2,546

I love TB's vids. That said, Ille still buy games he criticizes. I know myself better than he does :).